Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 336338 times)

Offline Internetlad

Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 16:29:34 »
is it worth buying those all in one starter kits? I saw some from Code Red Tactical, an online and brick and mortar store near where I live.

Not necessarily that I want this model but just as an example.

http://www.crtwy.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=80589

And I agree with what you mean about "This is crap, this is good", my dad, who mainly uses rifles for hunting, thinks ruger is just crap (his words) So I assume he had a bad experience with their product or cust. service in the past.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:50:45 »
Most pistols will come with a case, mags, cleaning rod and a lock. Some others might come with a holster and magazine holster also...

I wouldnt say its necessary to get a kit. As long as the it comes with the gun and magazines I think you are good to go... spend the extra money on ammo.

Also just to reflect on the cost of shooting based on a box of 50rds:
-.22LR: ~$2 a box
-9mm: ~$10 a box
-.45: ~17-$20 a box

So you  can see its gets pricey fast if you want to shoot more.. Also like people have said dont worry about the 9mm is a weak round debate... I say shoot what you can afford and gets you more shooting time or training.

I was exclusively a 9mm person but picked up a .22LR pistol so I can shoot more for cheap. Have been running it the last  couple of days and its been a blast without breaking my wallet.

REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline poopmat

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 21:21:49 »
i really like the sr22

and like you say its coke or pepsi

my dad hates savage that said one of my most acxurate guns is a savage 17hmr
some people like logitech keyboards its all what u like
what feels good etc.. i would reccomend you do reasearch no matter what you buy
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 21:47:32 »
If you can, try it before you buy it. My range has a deal where you can try all guns for $20. You just have to buy their ammo.

I wanted to be like JPM so I picked up a SR22 too. Mine was slightly used but basically new  :rolleyes:
Keyboardless

Offline poopmat

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 21:49:16 »

a little show and tell
colt king cobra 357
s&w 629-2 44mag
ruger single six .22 lr/wmr
sig 226 .22lr / 9mm
seecamp 32acp
calico 950 carbine 9mm
beretta jetfire .25
colt officers model 45acp

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 22:38:35 »
^^ that 357 looks so nice... I'm starting to come around to revolvers lately.

Offline poopmat

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 22:50:04 »
i love the king cobra
i really want a smith model 27 but that can be just as much as a python
my dad has the python its really nice but you don't really get to shoot it
the 44 is awesome but my fave is the single six rock solid cheap and really ****ing accurate

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 06:42:36 »
but my fave is the single six rock solid cheap and really ****ing accurate

Some say Ruger is a lesser brand in term of quality. I'm no expert, maybe on the larger calibers.  (Between a GP100 or a S&W. For me the SW choice was obvious.)

One thing I know for sure I'm totally sold to their 22's. No wonder they sold millions of 10/22 rifles and Mark I,II,III pristols. I own one of each. These things are made to last forever, especially the Mark I,II,III pistols which can be passed onto generations for "centuries" :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:26:13 »
I just got SR22 but now thinking I should get Mark III w/ rail so I can put red dot sight on top. Hmmm...
Keyboardless

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 01:22:23 »
Thanks for the advice, guys, I think i'm going to set up an account at The Firing Line and go from there!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 02:15:30 »
I generally like my Rugers, particularly the .22s. The revolvers are made like tanks. The finishing in out-of-sight area leave something to be desired, but I'd put them up with SW any day. My favorite is the Vaquero Bigsley. Shoots good, and looks great in cowboy leathers.

As for caliber debate... don't bring a pistol to a gun fight.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 11:34:59 »
As for caliber debate... don't bring a pistol to a gun fight.

Here's another option - Don't go to the fight :-)

I'm now seriously thinking of selling my hand guns. Thanks to your video.

I started very young to have a fascination for handguns. I was under 10 when my dad and uncle brought my cousin and me to a shooting range. We were using single shot .22 competition rifles. This is how our Saturday mornings for a while went. We were actually pretty good. It was amazing for us kids since we were able to compete with our parents at something. You know how dads are always better, stronger and faster. For once, we were even and it was quite satisfying.

Next to us, was the police officers practicing with their 38s (yeah, I'm getting old). Handguns are quite restricted in Canada and they were absolutely out of question for us. So just not been able to try one was enough to create and built up some sort of craving to try one.

Then many years passed by with that dormant "I need to try this". My friends in Atlanta revived the interest and I finally decided to go thru all the safety classes and get my permits to acquire and own some.

It may sound weird but until today and this video, I never rationalized the reasons behind me wanted handguns. These are no toys and they are no tools to me either. As for self defense, I don't even keep ammos at home. In other words, there're expensive useless things that I got just to do something I was told I can't. So I think it's time to move on.

My girl friend keeps sending me videos of friendly grouses and partridges. That is also making me go hum. But I love the thrills in the woods and the taste in the plate. So I'm not there yet with long guns.

Thanks again for that video.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:39:21 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:12:46 »
To be honest, I've asked myself the same thing. Although I'd like to learn the skill and have it available if ever necessary, (and let's be honest, you never know) I realize that the only thing a handgun is practical for is for defending yourself against other people using handguns. There are other firearms/traps that will do the job better for hunting, wildlife on your property (not really an issue as I live in town). Of course, as with all things, you simply never know. The rate of crime in my area is very low (it's a college/retirement town in wyoming, so you never know if that octogenarian is a military vet who's packing a 1911, or if that 20-something just got back from Iraq.) but not to say it doesn't happen, and I don't want to be the one caught with my pants down.

That said, At the moment i'm mostly considering it for putting holes in paper, cans and bottles, not people or animals, so for target shooting, a small caliber pistol is still in the cards. I've had suggestions from the Firing Lane (they seem to mainly use them for self defense) for a S&W Police Trade in Model 10 in .38, Glock 19, or S&W 5906 in 9mm. A mkII is still in the cards in my mind for sure.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:14:46 by Internetlad »

Offline poopmat

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 14:01:51 »
all those suggestions are good quality guns that can be found @ reasonable prices

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 14:19:27 »
There are other firearms/traps that will do the job better for hunting
In Canada, it is also strictly forbidden by law and a serious criminal offense. By long guns I meant rifle and shotgun.

Here, moving a handgun requires a transport permit which is given from/to two named points. Typically your home and the range. You need a special permission and a good reason to move it anywhere else (Competition, Gunsmith, etc...)

Carry permits are only for guards moving valuable goods, police and few other special gov agencies.

The MKII is an excellent choice. There are few good improvements with the MKIII.

Mk III
 Integral Lock
 Loaded Chamber Indicator
 Magazine Safety
 Magazine release on the grip

Mk II
 No Integral Lock
 No Loaded Chamber Indicator
 No Magazine Safety
 Heel-mounted magazine release
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 15:34:27 »
Yeah, my dad DID at one point own a handgun, A revolver, I think, but he sold it because it wasn't worth it, in his words.

He still owns quite a few rifles and shotguns.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 04:09:35 »
Here's another option - Don't go to the fight :-)

I'm now seriously thinking of selling my hand guns. Thanks to your video.
Definitely. You've already won by not fighting.
Not sure how serious you're being, but I think the take away from the video is that rifle > pistols, and marksmanship > differences in caliber.

I don't like the "improvements" of MKIII over MKII. The integral lock and magazine "safety" unnecessarily complicates the gun. Mag safety greatly complicates the already fiddly disassembly. Along with the LCI, I don't think any of these actually improve the safety of the pistol. I think the only true improvement is that they drill and tap MKIII for scope rails. Which is useless for most people. I personally don't mind heel release. Then again, I do have a few heel release guns (SIG m49, PSP, and obviously MKII). IMO pistols doesn't get much better than these 3, and they primarily come with heel release.

Offline scytheR

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 04:54:08 »
Last time i went overseas, i brought some guns in through customs but they didn't take it away
*Lifts arms*

Sorry, was called for xD
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline poopmat

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 10:16:39 »
the only issue with the mk2/3 is they are both a ***** to clean they are as pleasurable as chewing glass to field strip

Offline itznfb

Re: Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 10:39:16 »
but my fave is the single six rock solid cheap and really ****ing accurate

Some say Ruger is a lesser brand in term of quality. I'm no expert, maybe on the larger calibers.  (Between a GP100 or a S&W. For me the SW choice was obvious.)

One thing I know for sure I'm totally sold to their 22's. No wonder they sold millions of 10/22 rifles and Mark I,II,III pristols. I own one of each. These things are made to last forever, especially the Mark I,II,III pistols which can be passed onto generations for "centuries" :-)

Ruger revolvers are pretty much the best revolvers one can purchase. There is definitely a misconception that they are lower quality because of their price and finish. The fit and finish of a Ruger might not be quite as flashy and smooth as a S&W but their reliability and durability are unmatched. Ruger is able to keep costs down due to them owning their own casting divisions, Unicast and Pine Tree Casting. They are some of the best metal machinists in the country. Where other firearm manufacturers subcontract out the machining process Ruger does it in house.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 11:39:35 »
I'm really getting sold on a Ruger MKII for plinking. Simply the fact that the ammo is so dirt cheap makes it very attractive. Only downside is that it's not a revolver, but it's not like one NEEDS to start on a revolver.

Might move up to a police trade in S&W 10 .38 after that. I hope the first time I go to test the feel they have a MKII-III in stock so i can feel the grip.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:57:31 »
How about these .22 revolvers?

Ruger LCR22

S&W Model 617

Keyboardless

Offline poopmat

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:45:43 »
also dont forget the single 10

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:09:37 »
I think snubbies look so dumb. Besides, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the shorter barrel cause the bullet to accelerate less and therefore be less accurate?

That 617 is nice though.  Unfortunately, it's a couple hundred bucks over what I was looking to spend. If I could find a nice looking .22 revolver for ~350 I'd be happy.

The MKIII gets rave reviews besides the field strip, and it's under 300.  .22 ammo is cheap. Pretty good for a plinking handgun. To be honest, If i had the opportunity to try one, and liked it, i'd get one tout suite.  A .22 revolver, and the SR22 are still contenders though. I think i'll buy new for my first handgun if my banker (wife) allows it, because then I'll know that if something is messed up, i'm doing it wrong or it's the manufacturing.

What accessories should I get before picking up the pistol. I'd probably order the holster and ammo with the handgun to match them, but I'd also need a handgun safe, and i'm thinking of getting the "ultimate clip loader" as well. Quite a few people have said the action (is that correct? I'm referring to the trigger pull mechanism) on the MKIII is unimpressive and that a looser trigger is preferred, but i'll decide that after I fire it. Anything else?

No special tools are necessary to field strip firearms, correct?
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:12:16 by Internetlad »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:34:01 »
^^^ If your getting a .22 then I dont think you need a "loader", they are so simple to load that I dont think its necessary. Same thing with a holster unless you plan on shooting competition or some training which requires drawing from a holster.

For accessories.... Ammo, cleaning kit and safe is the bare minimum I would suggest. Dedicated range bag is nice but a simple backpack will do....did I mention ammo... hahaha You will eventually figure out other things you might need but start off with bare essentials.. the other things will come over time. No need to overdose on accessories where that money could be spent on ammo or range fees.

Yea most handguns require no tools for fieldstriping.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:08:26 »
Ruger revolvers are pretty much the best revolvers one can purchase. There is definitely a misconception that they are lower quality because of their price and finish. The fit and finish of a Ruger might not be quite as flashy and smooth as a S&W but their reliability and durability are unmatched. Ruger is able to keep costs down due to them owning their own casting divisions, Unicast and Pine Tree Casting. They are some of the best metal machinists in the country. Where other firearm manufacturers subcontract out the machining process Ruger does it in house.

I didn't know that... And thats a good explanation for keeping the cost low.

Speaking of cost. Have you guys heard of Korth? Typically ranging from $5500 to $7000+

This one goes for $8500

http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Korth/Revolver/Everest/357-Mag/Variant-1

I think the fit and finish is a tiny bit better than Ruger's :-)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:14:10 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:13:35 »
the only issue with the mk2/3 is they are both a ***** to clean they are as pleasurable as chewing glass to field strip

Cmon that's a bit extreme. Once you get used to it, their not thad bad. But I have to admit. The first time I took it appart, I probably would have pick chewing glass instead of reassembling it.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:47:56 »

Every Korth ist unique. It used to be and it still is today. And half a century later after Willi Korth presented his first revolver the publicity, the manufactory Korth runs at full speed again.

The name Korth stands for unique gunsmithing. The revolvers, which we manufacture don´t just shoot extreme precisely. Your expectations have ensured that these weapons are small works of art, which stand and uphold everyman´s honor. Particularly exquisite individual productions from our factory are appreciated worlwide as gifts and expressions of value and find so away into exclusive weapon collection by passionated experts.

The ghost of Willi Korth striving always to improve the best in each and everyone of our weapons. The best of steels, hand chosen timber and perfect mechanics are the ingredients, which are formed through experience, countless hours of hand working. Anyone, who has ever held a Korth in his Hand, felt its perfect balance, smooth operation and experienced the perfect timing knows, understands phenomenon Korth. The shooting results are still actually the confirmation of this emotional result.

A Korth is a piece of exclusivity. Exclusivity, which arises from drive of their master Willi Korth. To build the best revolver in the world.

And here's a Korth private collection for sale. Probably going over the price of our houses :-)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:59:54 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:44:06 »
I'm sure it's pretty Expensive if you have to wear white gloves just to handle the gun.

How about this humongous .22 from Beretta w/ full length rail on top?

Keyboardless

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:12:33 »
I saw some shooting one of these .22's last week at the range and asked what it was.... then I looked up the price  :eek:

It was nice though...Model 41

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:16:15 »
I need to move out of NYC so I can own of these...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:39:03 »
How about this humongous .22 from Beretta w/ full length rail on top?
It's on my do not buy list. I am pretty sure I mentioned it before. Friend bought one after playing with my MKII and had to have a .22. The trigger sucks, very plasticky, and overall not that well made. Friend sold his pretty soon and bought a MKII.

My favorite .22s are in this order: High Standard, Volquartsen, Ruger MKII (disassembly is fiddly and tight, but it gets better), Buckmark. SW M41 is pretty nice, but a bit overpriced for what it is. I don't mind the Taurus .22 revolvers (Their revolvers are ok, though I wouldn't touch their autoloader with a 10foot pole.).

What accessories should I get before picking up the pistol. I'd probably order the holster and ammo with the handgun to match them, but I'd also need a handgun safe, and i'm thinking of getting the "ultimate clip loader" as well. Quite a few people have said the action (is that correct? I'm referring to the trigger pull mechanism) on the MKIII is unimpressive and that a looser trigger is preferred, but i'll decide that after I fire it. Anything else?
Buy some 22 snap caps (though you can use fired casing for this). Dry firing .22s may damage the firing pin. If it doesn't have a cut out on the barrel, then it'll peen the barrel and damage the chamber.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:46:21 by laffindude »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:20:09 »
I want to buy myself a .22LR full sized pistol...but I'm not old enough to own one. ;_;

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:26:14 »
One thing I like about SR22. The manual said that it can be dryfired.

"PISTOLS can be dryfired without damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine
is inserted."
Keyboardless

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 12:19:39 »
Same thing with a holster unless you plan on shooting competition or some training which requires drawing from a holster.

The basic handgun training course i'm planning on taking requires a holster, handgun and 100rd ammo

http://www.coderedtacticalwy.com/training-firearms-wyoming.php

under "Concealed Carry & Basic pistol.

Buy some 22 snap caps (though you can use fired casing for this). Dry firing .22s may damage the firing pin. If it doesn't have a cut out on the barrel, then it'll peen the barrel and damage the chamber.

I had heard that firing .22s dry was a no-no, but that is a great explination, thank you!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2012, 12:21:48 by Internetlad »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 12:48:20 »
Internetlad.... great that your taking a class...I have to get my lazy butt up and starting taking classes.

Any plans to apply for a CCW permit since it seems like that class with allow you to apply?

Also that is a good suggestion with snap caps....good cheap practice.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 14:34:45 »
Also that is a good suggestion with snap caps....good cheap practice.

Concealed Carry on a .22 target pistol? I don't see the point. I work a desk job at a computer shop in a quiet college/retirement town. Crime rate is obscenely low. There was a "rash" of car thefts a while back (somebody hit several unlocked cars one night and took belongings) and that made the papers as "big deal news"

Most other weeks, the front page headlines are high school/college sports, or local politics.

In either case, AFAIK you don't need a permit for CCW in Wyoming, but if you DO get the certification it carries over to other states with CCW. Maybe i'm wrong, as that's hearsay.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2012, 14:37:09 by Internetlad »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 15:33:37 »
^^^ aw to be in a free state...

I was just asking asking about CCW just in case later on you decide to get a larger caliber. In california depending on where you live it is near impossible to get a CCW ... always depressing to hear how people other states dont have to follow all these non sense rules us californians have.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 08:38:44 »
Constitutional carry is awesome. /my home state is a free state as well. Though I do maintain my CCW license for out of state travel.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 10:28:10 »
So I went down to the local "tactical" store, dry fired a couple handguns including the SR22 and the MKIII. Handled a couple others including the Ruger Single-10 22 revolver.

First thought: Realizing I don't know sh*t about firearms

Second thought: I liked the .22 revolver much, much more than I thought I would. It certainly seems easier to "get into" than a semi-auto. The salesguy was freindly and very helpful. Said he personally owned a single-10 and has put "Thousands of rounds through it. Hell i've been pumping them through when I could barely fit them in the chamber because it was so filled with dirt and ****, even though that's probably gun abuse" (unquote)

haha anyways, I was much less taken with the MKIII than I would have thought. That magazine disconnect seems like a real PITA. I guess once you get used to it, it wouldn't be a big deal but it was a big pain when I was trying to dry-fire it.

I liked the SR22 a lot more than I thought I would as well, not only the feel but the looks.

One of the guys suggested I take a hunter's safety course to get the basics down, even though I plan to do no hunting in the forseeable future. There's also a shooting range that *may* have somebody who is willing to teach the basics. Both things i'll check out in the near future.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 11:25:30 »
Did you see this Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite? I think maybe I should have gotten that instead of SR22.

Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:04:52 »
That looks so cool! I'd carry that! I really want to get a 22 conversion slide for a 1911. That would be the best!

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:06:45 »
^^^ I want that with a rail on top.. hehehe

Also any AUG fans.. the new Steyr AUG A3 seems to be finally hitting stores:

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:41:01 »
22/45 has 1911-ish grip. Rail comes with the package. It already has 3 holes on top for rail. Also LITE has threaded barrel.
Keyboardless

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:51:52 »
Did you see this Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite? I think maybe I should have gotten that instead of SR22.

Show Image

In fact I believe I did, he never showcased it to me though.

Threaded barrel? So I can attach a suppressor to shoot through my mountain of paperwork it took to get a suppressor?

Offline poopmat

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:53:04 »
So I went down to the local "tactical" store, dry fired a couple handguns including the SR22 and the MKIII. Handled a couple others including the Ruger Single-10 22 revolver.

First thought: Realizing I don't know sh*t about firearms

Second thought: I liked the .22 revolver much, much more than I thought I would. It certainly seems easier to "get into" than a semi-auto. The salesguy was freindly and very helpful. Said he personally owned a single-10 and has put "Thousands of rounds through it. Hell i've been pumping them through when I could barely fit them in the chamber because it was so filled with dirt and ****, even though that's probably gun abuse" (unquote)

haha anyways, I was much less taken with the MKIII than I would have thought. That magazine disconnect seems like a real PITA. I guess once you get used to it, it wouldn't be a big deal but it was a big pain when I was trying to dry-fire it.

I liked the SR22 a lot more than I thought I would as well, not only the feel but the looks.

One of the guys suggested I take a hunter's safety course to get the basics down, even though I plan to do no hunting in the forseeable future. There's also a shooting range that *may* have somebody who is willing to teach the basics. Both things i'll check out in the near future.

i cant recommend the single six - single 10 enough
the model m of 22lr pistols
they are rock solid indestructible and simple
and really any gun owner worth his salt should own @ least one single action revolver

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:30:01 »
Threaded barrel? So I can attach a suppressor to shoot through my mountain of paperwork it took to get a suppressor?

You have that option if one day you get a job as an assassin.

I do like revolvers and will definitely get one in the future. I guess I'm not seasoned yet. : )
Keyboardless

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:45:25 »
You have that option if one day you get a job as an assassin.

As hickok says "Unless you have a contract with the mafia, these are really just a fun little toy"

He then proceeded to shoot a pizza pan 10 times while laughing.

I love that guy.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:03:16 »
Life is good...
Keyboardless

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:20:10 »
 ^^ talk of threaded barrels and suppressors make me hate you guys even more  :p