Author Topic: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making  (Read 294660 times)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 16:17:47 »
I want to see POM, because that will make it easy to replace/fix/whatever the keycaps.

How?
o.o
POM is slippery and cool  :cool:
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #401 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 18:42:05 »
News about when will switches be available?
Are you giong to sell both the quiet tactile and the clicky?

I'm in China right now.  We were at the switch factory 2 days ago.  The switches will go on sale in January -- both quiet tactile and the clicky model.

We've also worked out the shipping logistics.  They'll be shipped in a padded 7x7x3 inch box.  North American orders will be shipped from Canada or the US.  International orders will ship from Taiwan (due to the lower international shipping rates Taiwan offers).

More info to come...

Offline nevin

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 00:55:56 »
PM sent.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #403 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 16:38:02 »
I'm interested, but will the minimum order be any less than eight hundred pieces?  A packet of 150 or 200 would be nice, as it's enough to re-switch almost any conventional board with loads of extras in case you mess up repeatedly.

I was fiddling with a board with blue Monterrey switches today, and it sounds a lot like what you're trying for-- a little lighter, a little more consistent, and not quite as loud.  If you've used them, would you consider the new switch comparable?

Aside: I took a moment looking at the finished board product.  Although it certainly sounds competitive with most other $150 boards out there, I suddenly realized "Where the hell is the menu key, since I actually use it all the time?!"
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 16:55:09 »
Some time ago Matias stated 200pc boxes.  Hopefully this still holds.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Matias

« Reply #405 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 00:08:49 »
I'm interested, but will the minimum order be any less than eight hundred pieces?  A packet of 150 or 200 would be nice, as it's enough to re-switch almost any conventional board with loads of extras in case you mess up repeatedly.

Thanks for your interest...

Yes, they'll be sold in packs of 200, shipped in a 7x7x3 inch padded box.  This keeps the shipping cost down, while ensuring that there are plenty of spare switches for any individual keyboard project.

North American orders will be shipped from Canada or the US.  International orders will be shipped from Taiwan.

We'll also be making keycaps available.  Ours are ABS, but you can get PBT caps from Signature Plastics (SP).  Unfortunately, the SP caps are shorter than ours, so they are probably not suitable for a direct replacement on our boards -- you'll see the switches exposed from underneath.

Offline Matias

« Reply #406 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 00:27:42 »
We'll also be making keycaps available.  Ours are ABS, but you can get PBT caps from Signature Plastics (SP).  Unfortunately, the SP caps are shorter than ours, so they are probably not suitable for a direct replacement on our boards -- you'll see the switches exposed from underneath.

Have you considered making blank abs keycaps?

Yes, we'll be making those available in white and black.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #407 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 02:50:06 »
How about PBT keycaps? :).  TKL + PBT Pls :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #408 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 08:20:09 »
Are the ABS keycaps you will be offering pad printed, double shot, or dye subliminated?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matias

« Reply #409 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 09:10:45 »
Are the ABS keycaps you will be offering pad printed, double shot, or dye subliminated?

They'll be available in blank or lasered.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #410 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 14:44:38 »
Still surprised that no major group buy has bee made yet. We all need a couple of switches to test, admit it.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #411 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 15:29:00 »
Group buy for what?  Switches aren't available yet.  When they're available then perhaps.  I have a 1087XM waiting and I intend on getting both types of switches, so anyone that is interested in just a few of each to play with I should be able to accommodate a number of you.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 01:37:31 »
Oh god so excited....

I am envisioning new dampened Matias switches with perhaps some strategically chosen black caps to make over my SIIG minitouch. Drool...

At minimum, will re-switch it most likely.
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline dirge

« Reply #413 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 03:39:22 »
Still surprised that no major group buy has bee made yet. We all need a couple of switches to test, admit it.

I thought switches would be available in packs of 200, meaning no group buy would be needed.

Yes, they'll be sold in packs of 200, shipped in a 7x7x3 inch padded box.  This keeps the shipping cost down, while ensuring that there are plenty of spare switches for any individual keyboard project.

North American orders will be shipped from Canada or the US.  International orders will be shipped from Taiwan.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #414 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 17:12:47 »
Matias, when are you going to stop teasing us!!!

Offline Matias

« Reply #415 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 20:03:48 »

Not much longer.  :-)

The switches will go on sale this month.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 00:10:59 »

Excellent. Is the original price estimate (100$ for 800ct) still accurate?

Thanks!
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 00:36:38 »

Ooooooh... Can't wait to see these  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 01:20:12 by razorsharpgears »
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline Matias

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 01:15:11 »

Excellent. Is the original price estimate (100$ for 800ct) still accurate?

In order to reduce the shipping cost, we've reduced the package size to 200 pcs.  That's more than enough for any single keyboard project, with extra switches to cover mistakes.  It will sell for $40 + shipping.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 03:04:38 »
In order to reduce the shipping cost, we've reduced the package size to 200 pcs.  That's more than enough for any single keyboard project, with extra switches to cover mistakes.  It will sell for $40 + shipping.

Will they be shipping from Canadia exclusively or will there be a cheaper shipping option for us to the south?

Offline Matias

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:16:03 »

Will they be shipping from Canadia exclusively or will there be a cheaper shipping option for us to the south?

The US shipments will go from Canada initially -- the cost difference is small.  International shipments will go from Taiwan.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:50:41 »
The US shipments will go from Canada initially -- the cost difference is small.  International shipments will go from Taiwan.

Thanks for the reply, now that you say that, I remember you mentioning that somewhere else :x

Offline limmy

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:40:35 »
Where would we expect to buy the switches? I couldn't find them online. I suppose they are not for sale... yet?

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #423 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:43:16 »
Where would we expect to buy the switches? I couldn't find them online. I suppose they are not for sale... yet?

I noticed 7bit has them for sale over on deskthority.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline Matias

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 00:11:14 »

I noticed 7bit has them for sale over on deskthority.

You'll be able to buy them from our website, and likely a few resellers, such as the one you mentioned.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 00:13:37 »
It appears more like they're doing a group buy for when they do go on sale, perhaps to save on shipping across the pond. Matias said they'd be on sale sometime this month, so I keep checking the site. So far, no joy.

Unless he's somehow got hold of some apart from what you get in a MQP...
----

Offline Matias

« Reply #426 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 00:42:56 »
It appears more like they're doing a group buy for when they do go on sale, perhaps to save on shipping across the pond. Matias said they'd be on sale sometime this month, so I keep checking the site. So far, no joy.

Unless he's somehow got hold of some apart from what you get in a MQP...

He hasn't got any yet.  :-)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #427 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:04:14 »
Are just the quiet switches going on sale? I'd like to buy a pack of the clicky switches used on the TP4 if possible.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #428 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 16:49:47 »
Are just the quiet switches going on sale? I'd like to buy a pack of the clicky switches used on the TP4 if possible.

x2

Looking to convert a Zenith to clicky switches and replace the switches in m SGI.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matias

« Reply #429 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 19:25:48 »

x2

Looking to convert a Zenith to clicky switches and replace the switches in m SGI.

Both switch types will be going on sale.

Everyone who PM-ed me will be getting an email soon, to arrange their switch order.  It's looking like they may sell out.  If they do sell out, we'll postpone the formal announcement until we get more stock.

Thanks to all who expressed interested...   :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #430 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 19:49:48 »
Do you know when the Mini Matias Tactile will be shipping? Is it going to be next week? Sorry to bug you but i am really anxious.  ;D

Offline Grimey

« Reply #431 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 22:34:14 »

x2

Both switch types will be going on sale.

Everyone who PM-ed me will be getting an email soon, to arrange their switch order.  It's looking like they may sell out.  If they do sell out, we'll postpone the formal announcement until we get more stock.

Thanks to all who expressed interested...   :)

Hurray for switches, I have been excited at the prospect for ALPS switches being available without having to harvest an old board for some time.
Erlang your pants off

Offline Matias

« Reply #432 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 23:30:28 »
Do you know when the Mini Matias Tactile will be shipping? Is it going to be next week? Sorry to bug you but i am really anxious.  ;D

They are in production this week, and should arrive next week.  We will send them out as soon as we get them.

Sorry to keep you waiting...  :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 07:37:52 »
The wait is most likely worth it though! Thanks for your great costumer service. It has made me a loyal customer.  :D

Offline Matias

« Reply #434 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 09:26:30 »
The wait is most likely worth it though! Thanks for your great costumer service. It has made me a loyal customer.  :D

Thanks!  We do our best.  :)

Offline niklasni1

« Reply #435 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:49:39 »
Where can I find the specifications (exact measurements) for the keycaps needed for this switch?

Offline Matias

« Reply #436 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 04:04:17 »
Once someone buys a box of switches could they sell/ship me a few (3-4)?  I want to see how difficult it is to convert the QuietPro switches to Linear.  The goal is to see if I can get them to mimic an Apple //e linear switch.  I think the dampened ones could get me closer to the original feel.

Ironically, the originally //e switches are not Alps but they are one of my favorites.  Unfortunately I think part of the magic is the material selection in the keycaps/board itself.

Just take out the metal clicker (leaving only the spring) and they become linear.

Offline Matias

« Reply #437 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 04:08:15 »
Where can I find the specifications (exact measurements) for the keycaps needed for this switch?

Our switches accept standard ALPS keycaps, which you can buy from Signature Plastics.  They offer ABS and PBT.  They can provide you with keycap specs.

Offline niklasni1

« Reply #438 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 07:50:46 »
I was in touch with SP just last night, they only provide one type of Alps caps (their DCS family).

I will ask them for the specs, thank you.

Offline niklasni1

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:24:25 »
I wrote to Signature Plastics and they said they didn't have any technical drawings or exact measurements available for Alps caps.

I should clarify, I'm asking because I'm interested in printing my own. I'm building a couple of customised MIDIBox sequencers, and want keycaps with inlays to make them usable in the dark. I've access to a 3D printer with low enough tolerances that it seems like a feasible path.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:29:08 by niklasni1 »

Offline Warduke

« Reply #440 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:08:10 »
You have two keyboards for the PC but both use the silent switch, will you be offering the clicky switch for those keyboards in the future?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:02:14 by Warduke »
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline uzoc

« Reply #441 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 13:11:15 »
I wrote to Signature Plastics and they said they didn't have any technical drawings or exact measurements available for Alps caps.
I should clarify, I'm asking because I'm interested in printing my own. I'm building a couple of customised MIDIBox sequencers, and want keycaps with inlays to make them usable in the dark. I've access to a 3D printer with low enough tolerances that it seems like a feasible path.

Do you know if you can buy a standard single white set of ALPS (like they have for the Cherry MX)?

Offline niklasni1

« Reply #442 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 14:08:21 »
I'm not sure about their minimum quantities, I asked about 100 caps.

Offline Matias

« Reply #443 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:17:29 »

Sounds like a very cool project...

If you're going to 3D print actual keycaps, you're going to need 3D drawings of keycaps.  Unfortunately, keycap vendors are rarely willing to release those.  In some cases, it's because their tooling is old and they've lost the original files.  In other cases, it's because they don't want competitors copying their designs.

In fact, our keycap vendor won't even release drawings to us, and we are their main customer for ALPS caps.

I'm not sure how much time you're prepared to put into doing 3D keycap drawings yourself, but I can certainly send you a bag of sample caps, if you want to do that.  Also, note that our caps are taller than the ones SP sells.

We will be selling blank keycaps soon.  You could always buy those and just print the legends on them yourself -- silk screen or laser etched (if you have access to a laser machine).

Offline Matias

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:25:38 »
You have two keyboards for the PC but both use the silent switch, will you be have the clicky switch for those keyboards in the future?

Yes, I expect we will, but I can't say when.  We have our hands full right now, just trying to fill the demand for the quiet switch models.

However, with the switches going on sale soon, I expect you'll start to see modders converting old PC boards to our switches.  It's already started...

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/first-the-matias-sgi-t5052.html

Offline Warduke

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:09:12 »
You have two keyboards for the PC but both use the silent switch, will you be have the clicky switch for those keyboards in the future?

Yes, I expect we will, but I can't say when.  We have our hands full right now, just trying to fill the demand for the quiet switch models.

Thanks for the reply. I love clicky switches and I have no interest in switches that don't click. So once you come out with a clicky keyboard for the PC, I'm there. Absolutely love the sound of the Tactile Pro.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Matias

« Reply #446 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:23:02 »

Thanks for the reply. I love clicky switches and I have no interest in switches that don't click. So once you come out with a clicky keyboard for the PC, I'm there. Absolutely love the sound of the Tactile Pro.

I think a Tactile Pro for PC is inevitable.  We've gotten lots of requests.  Once the dust settles a little, we'll do one.

Offline __red__

Re: Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #447 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:54:32 »

I've done this.  It's not only feasible but awesome.  I'm printing hexagonal key caps and the stem fits in the Mattias switches perfectly every time.

It was not possible to 3d print caps using fdm for cherry mx.

Offline Matias

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 20:09:17 »

I've done this.  It's not only feasible but awesome.  I'm printing hexagonal key caps and the stem fits in the Mattias switches perfectly every time.

It was not possible to 3d print caps using fdm for cherry mx.

That sounds really interesting!

Can you post photos?

Also, why was it not possible to 3d print caps for Cherry MX using fdm?

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:11:43 by Matias »

Offline niklasni1

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:40:49 »
I'm not sure how much time you're prepared to put into doing 3D keycap drawings yourself, but I can certainly send you a bag of sample caps, if you want to do that.  Also, note that our caps are taller than the ones SP sells.

I'm prepared to spend the time that it takes, but the shorter the better :) It's not so much the drawing itself I'm worried about, really, as it is getting the measurements of the stem right. I've drawn something up based on the cap from an Apple Extended II, but I'm not sure if it's right. Suppose I should just print it out and test it.

Encouraging!

Did you make the CAD files yourself? Could I persuade you to release them?