Author Topic: O-Ring mod has loose keycaps  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Amo

O-Ring mod has loose keycaps
« on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 12:48:12 »
I recently got a Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Reds and put some O-rings on the keys. Now the keys are really loose and pop off. They don't pop off during normal use, but if I run my hands across the board several keys pop out. Is there some secret method to putting the keys back on the switches?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 12:53:55 »
I have to ask... why is this in the wiki instead of one of the forums? Did you put the o-rings in all the way? Did you make sure you pressed the keycaps all the way down when you put them back on? If not, then try doing one of those. If you still have problems, then some pictures might help.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Amo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 13:11:01 »
I made a mistake posting this. Sorry. Here is an image of the o-ring on one of the keycaps. The o-ring I used was 3/16" thick and covers half of the stem.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53818[/ATTACH]

Offline Amo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 14:36:12 »
Mods, I made another thread in what I think is the proper forum. Please delete this thread because I don't think it adds to the wiki.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 14:33:18 »
That is one big fat-ass o-ring!

The ones I used were tiny in comparison. I think you want maybe a millimeter or 2 in thickness, not more.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 14:35:06 »
Yeah, and the stock nopoo keys are pretty thick, arent they? You'll probably need thinner o-rings from WASD or somewhere.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 16:14:25 »
lol those O-rings are way too thick, that's why they pop off. There is not enough of the stem length left for they caps to be sturdy. And just curious, where did you buy those O-rings?

Offline Amo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:46:59 »
I got them from here. I got the size from one of the group buys so I figured it was ok. Most of the keys are actually pretty good and don't pop off at all. Only the ones that have worn stems wobble and disconnect.

Offline urbanus

Re: O-Ring mod has loose keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 16:21:37 »
Same here.

I O-ring modded a Leopold FC500R (ABS keycaps) and a Noppoo Choc Mini (POM keycaps) with the same O-rings.  On the Leopold the keys sit more firmly.  When transporting the Noppoo caution is required because there's definitely a risk the keys will get knocked off.

My theory is that the softer ABS plastic works its way back onto the stem and grips better than the harder POM plastic.