Author Topic: How elitist are you?  (Read 15024 times)

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 01:58:41 »
Just keyboards, or other things as well? To what degree are you relatively "normal" vs completely alienated from the rest of society in your obscure tastes?

Personally I'm edging very much towards the latter category.

Offline Roguemaster8

How elitist are you?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:03:59 »
I only eat foods deemed fit by my small group of friends as tasteful, healthy, and organic. I only play games that only very obscure reviewers find any enjoyment in. And the only music that entertains me is done by a band that uses nothing but household items as instruments and only 12 people have heard of them. :hat:

Nah, just kidding, my only oddity comes from spending four times as much on keyboards then anyone else I know.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:09:14 by Roguemaster8 »
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline Djuzuh

How elitist are you?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:08:19 »
I have a mech kb, a trackball, a double edge razor with a badger shaving brush, I drink tea and dream about something to roast my coffee, and I read books.

Can't think of anything else that would make me more hipster hight now.

EDIT: oh, and I*use a bépo layout.
EDIT2: and I*smoke the occasionnal cigar.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:18:49 by Djuzuh »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:14:26 »
I've been using a straight razor for awhile now. Not into fashion or food at all (yet?), but pretty heavily into music, film, various tech equipment and software. Have a slowly developing interest in automobiles and a few other areas that I'm probably forgetting. I am educated in math, biology, and work as a software developer. I'm pretty weird and it's hard to find areas to connect with other people, so I just keep getting even weirder over the internet instead. I don't consider myself a hipster as I think hipsters tend to be motivated by social pressures and try to make themselves look cool, rather than honestly pursuing things for the sake of knowledge, perfection, or development.

Offline Malphas

How elitist are you?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:21:24 »
I'm not elitist at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with using/consuming the generic mainstream stuff, and a lot of supposed connoisseurs are just self-deluded hipster douches. That said, my exceptions are probably when it comes to media; I really cant stand 99% of television, movies, and popular music, so I'm pretty alienated from pop culture.

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:28:12 »
Quote from: Malphas;621436
I'm not elitist at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with using/consuming the generic mainstream stuff, and a lot of supposed connoisseurs are just self-deluded hipster douches.
There's no more wrong with anything else mainstream than with using a generic keyboard with rubber domes. Any time I am looking at someone else's obscure tastes I imagine I'm on the rubber domes of whatever area it is, which may be fine because I may not be interested in pursuing it any further. However I try to keep the superficiality of mainstream consumerism in mind and not pretend otherwise. There will always be a few "hipster douches" involved in everything "underground" but they usually betray themselves via their attitudes.

Quote from: Malphas;621436
That said, my exceptions are probably when it comes to media; I really cant stand 99% of television, movies, and popular music, so I'm pretty alienated from pop culture.
Agreed, and this is one of the most alienating things in my experience, as so much of general social relations involves these.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
How elitist are you?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:41:36 »
I just like higher quality stuff that I don't need to replace in a year. I am tired of the junk that China pumps out that barely works out of the box and breaks in a year.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 06:02:37 by laffindude »

Offline Djuzuh

How elitist are you?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 02:52:53 »
Quote from: okyup;621434
I've been using a straight razor for awhile now.

I don't like the fact that straight razors demand so much maintenance to keep the edge sharp. And shavettes aren't widespread enough for me to use them. And I'm afraid of the blade I'm suppose to pass over my throat :s.

But The fear slowly disappears, as I cook more and more and as I shave myself more and more with my double edge.

Offline Malphas

How elitist are you?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 04:43:57 »
Quote from: okyup;621437
There's no more wrong with anything else mainstream than with using a generic keyboard with rubber domes.

Well exactly, I don't look down my nose at people using rubber domes, it's OK not to give a **** about keyboards and it's OK to like high quality keyboards. It's not elitist to simply like to have something good, the elitist part to me is when you start disapproving of the choices of others.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
How elitist are you?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 06:46:39 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:31:00 by davkol »

Offline Malphas

How elitist are you?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 07:25:26 »
That's a folly; some of the smartest, most influential people were autodidacts or school of hard knocks educated. Whilst Ivy League and Oxbridge churns out lots of well educated morons every year.

Offline Lorem-Ipsum

• (╯°□°)╯︵ɯnsdı-ɯǝɹoן
    • mattwall.co.uk/
How elitist are you?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 07:56:59 »
Apart from a mech keyboard, I shave with a double edged razor (Edwin Jagger De89), read a lot of obscure books, and use Linux/FreeBSD exclusively.
Currently Using: Corsair K65 (MX Reds)
Own: IBM Model M | Logitech Illuminated | Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blues) [Waiting for Toxic] | Cherry D-91275

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Offline Djuzuh

How elitist are you?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 08:01:56 »
Quote from: Lorem-Ipsum;621499
Apart from a mech keyboard, I shave with a double edged razor (Edwin Jagger De89), read a lot of obscure books, and use Linux/FreeBSD exclusively.

I use a merkur 38 c (basically the 34c with a longer handle). And I run linux too ! but since I'm a computer science students, nothing really spectacular with it.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
How elitist are you?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 09:10:00 »
Mech keyboards are really the only thing I'm picky about, although I use a rubber dome at work even though I could bring one of my mech keyboards into work.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:53:08 »
Quote from: Malphas;621462
Well exactly, I don't look down my nose at people using rubber domes, it's OK not to give a **** about keyboards and it's OK to like high quality keyboards. It's not elitist to simply like to have something good, the elitist part to me is when you start disapproving of the choices of others.
It's OK, you don't have to be so tolerant of others. Elitism is usually a good thing, unless you're talking to peasants or religious folk. You know your keyboard is "good", "better", and "more expensive" than theirs. You may not walk around rubbing that fact in their face for practical reasons, but deep down you must admit you feel some level of superiority on the topic of keyboards, you're glad you are a bit smarter than all the sheep using rubber domes. Embrace it. We're all master-race here.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:56:38 »
I roll better joints and spliffs than anyone (COME AT ME STONER BROS -- for a meeting of the joint chiefs of staff, not for battle), I have real specific music tastes, I like fitted hats, I use a Mac and I shave with a brush.

HEPSTUR, RITE/???
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:58:58 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
How elitist are you?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:02:58 »
I am very selective, asides from keyboards and some other computer hardware, I care a LOT about audio, and I'm a huge fashion/decor **** and will pay a good amount for certain high end items. But on the flip side I refuse to spend more than $1000 on a car for any reason for example. So I care about the things I care about and spend a good deal on them, and nothing about those I don't.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:05:20 by lysol »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:05:48 »
Quote from: lysol;621997
Other than keyboards and some other computer hardware, I am very selective. I care a LOT about audio, and I'm a huge fashion **** and will pay a good amount for certain high end items. But on the flip side I refuse to spend more than $1000 on a car for any reason for example. So I care about the things I care about, and nothing about those I don't.
I used to be more of an audio elitist until I realized that I couldn't afford to be. Grado SR125i is good enough for the rest of my life.
Clothes-wise I used to be into super expensive jeans but these days Cheap Monday and Levi's make good super skinny fits for my freak chicken legs.

Now that I think about it I guess I'm pretty much an elitist about everything that I think about for more than 5 minutes, but not in a showoff way. I'd rather just have the nicest stuff and put some research into it  beforehand.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
How elitist are you?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:08:36 »
Yeah, I'm more about buying quality where it matters to me, and will have no problem paying more for it. It's more about paying more for stuff that is worth paying more for *that I can afford*, not just because it is chic or whatever.

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:14:27 »
Well, you don't have to spend a lot of money on something to have specific tastes in it, that is rather hitting on a different point. I think if you're aware of the whole range of options and have made a well-informed choice you're ahead of most people, who simply made a poorly-informed choice. The average person wastes way too much money on cars that just rapidly depreciate, and the higher end cars are not as cool as their owners like to think they are. Owning a shiny or expensive car is NOTHING if you don't know how to drive it and didn't build it yourself, just as you wouldn't prance around with a golden keyboard which is no better to type on than any other. Most of those millions of people with expensive cars are just as tasteless as the average consumer, just with a little deeper pockets.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
How elitist are you?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:16:47 »
Right, like those jokers you saw on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous with 24k gold toilets... more money than taste or sense. To be honest there are 2 places where I am a full blown overbearing elitist, and those are coffee and vodka. Those are 2 things you don't want to get me started about, really.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:19:57 by lysol »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:21:02 »
Never seen it, but gold toilets doesn't really sound like a generic commodity, so maybe a lot of taste went into them, I don't know. Certainly a lot of money!

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:29:35 »
I like this toilet from the "Men at Work" "Toilet of Eden" episode.
Wonder if I can buy one like it, might need a 2nd mortgage on my home though.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53862[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:51:04 by TexasFlood »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:36:32 »
Quote from: sth;621992
... I use a Mac ...

HEPSTUR, RITE/???
Perhaps this is where we draw the distinction between hipsters and elitists. Hipsters like things that are shiny, expensive, and make them look cool, whereas proper elitists like things that are not necessarily shiny, do not simply look cool (often don't look cool , but are of the highest quality or have obtained some level of purity, and will be put to their full use.

In the field of operating systems Linux is definitely elitist territory (not Ubuntu, and not necessarily exclusively Linux as Windows often has its place too). Mac doesn't really have anything in terms of hardware or software.

I like to maintain the mindset "this is what I know now, but it's possible there is something greater I haven't discovered yet", and to keep my eyes open to that possibility. I find that often I am discovering new things I had previously never known about. People who jump to premature conclusions often limit themselves and must be suspected as phonies.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:39:19 »
Quote from: okyup;622023
Perhaps this is where we draw the distinction between hipsters and elitists. Hipsters like things that are shiny, expensive, and make them look cool, whereas proper elitists like things that are not necessarily shiny, do not simply look cool (often don't look cool , but are of the highest quality or have obtained some level of purity, and will be put to their full use.

In the field of operating systems Linux is definitely elitist territory (not Ubuntu, and not necessarily exclusively Linux as Windows often has its place too). Mac doesn't really have anything in terms of hardware or software.

What the hell are you talking about?

I don't do coke; ergo I am not a hipster.

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:42:14 »
Any logic that results in Linux users being called elitist and Apple users not I must disagree with, :wink:

I actually don't have a problem with Apple, it's just not for me.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:42:57 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;622028
Any logic that results in Linux users being called elitist and Apple users not I must disagree with, :wink:

Here's a nickel, kid...

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:46:38 »
Quote from: sth;622029
Here's a nickel, kid...
Hah, forgot that one...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53864[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:50:11 by TexasFlood »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 20:58:00 »
Apple users typically have no clue how their computers work, have paid more than they are worth, and don't put them to any good use other than to a conversation piece. I suppose they might qualify under the dictionary definition of elitist, but I personally would only like to consider intellectually honest people in my own definition of the term.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:05:25 »
Quote from: okyup;622038
Apple users typically have no clue how their computers work, have paid more than they are worth, and don't put them to any good use other than to a conversation piece. I suppose they might qualify under the dictionary definition of elitist, but I personally would only like to consider intellectually honest people in my own definition of the term.

Enjoy Your Lynnicks.

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:07:59 »

Guess how you think of it depends on which definition of the word you have. The below definition is from dictionary.com. Someone considered superior by others as in intellect or talent sounds pretty positive. Power, wealth, position in society, elitist class maybe not as positive.

elitist

adjective
1. (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society.
2. catering to or associated with an elitist class, its ideologies, or its institutions.

noun
3. a person having, thought to have, or professing superior intellect or talent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society.
4. a person who believes in the superiority of an elitist class.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
How elitist are you?
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:47:00 »

You could probably make the same argument against some Windows users.

I would rather not judge a group of people by their OS or preferred computer manufacturer, but rather as individuals. Are they just internet surfers, typical users, or perhaps super-users? Also, given how powerful the modern computer has become, one could also argue that very few users are actually using their workstations to their fullest potential.

Personally, I like classic Apple and modern Apple. Having used lots of different computers, both laptops and workstations, I really enjoy using a MacBook.

Also of the Apple users I know, many are the brightest, smartest, most talented people I've worked with. Many of these people are old *nix users who find they can accomplish the same tasks with fewer steps in OSX then in Windows.

I think the only complaint I've ever heard about Apple is the cost. But if they continue to innovate and move the computer world forward, I have no problem paying a premium for cutting edge technology.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:49:06 by RiffRaff »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:49:09 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;622073
You could probably make the same argument against some Windows users.

I would rather not judge a person by their OS or Computer, but instead define them as who they are. Are they just internet surfers, typical users, or perhaps superusers. Also, given how powerful the modern computer has become, one could also argue that very few users are actually using their workstations to their fullest potential.

Personally, I like classic Apple and modern Apple. Having used lots of different computers, both laptops and workstations, I really enjoy using a MacBook.

Also of the Apple users I know, many are the brightest, smartest, most talented people I've worked with. Many of these people are old *nix users who find they can accomplish the same tasks with fewer steps in OSX then in Windows.

I think the only complaint I've ever heard about Apple is the cost. But if they continue to innovate and move the computer world forward, I have no problem paying a premium for cutting edge technology.

You obviously know nothing about your computer.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
How elitist are you?
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:01:43 »
You mean people actually use something other than a double or straight razor, shaving brush and soap? No kidding............. What will they think of next?

I guess the next thing they will do is remove the side vent cigarette window in vehicles and cigarette lighters; don't tell DanGWanG.........

I still use a fountain pen from 1936 (I'm not that old) to write with. Probably can't in airports anymore either.

I like when young people come over to my house and ask what is that big metal thing by the chimney on my roof? So antennas are on the way out to I guess,,,,,

Going back to listen to Boz Skaggs on my hi-fi 8-track.

Quote from: Djuzuh;621442
I don't like the fact that straight razors demand so much maintenance to keep the edge sharp. And shavettes aren't widespread enough for me to use them. And I'm afraid of the blade I'm suppose to pass over my throat :s.

But The fear slowly disappears, as I cook more and more and as I shave myself more and more with my double edge.
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:03:04 »
Seem to be a lot of both Apple users and Linux/Unix users convinced they're using a superior OS. And they could well both be right, depends on what your needs are.

But I'd have to say that I've been exposed to more Apple users who believe they're "associated with an elitist class".

After all, Steve Jobs catered to this attitude for higher profit margin. Jobs was very successful as was Apple when he was there. Ed Niehaus, who was hired by Jobs to do public relations for resurgent Apple stated that jobs understood envy "as well as anybody on the planet" and carried it around with him, triple parking his car because he could, said Niehaus. Jobs was apparently also known for parking in handicapped parking spaces. He would pay fines but avoid having tickets tied to him by exploiting a little-known loophole in California vehicle laws that gives owners up to six months to get plates for their vehicles. Jobs would arrange with his vehicle leasing company to switch out his silver Mercedes every six months with a new, identical model. Niehaus added that part of what Jobs sold was envy.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
How elitist are you?
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:11:13 »
Quote from: sth;622078
You obviously know nothing about your computer.

Nice trolling, you obviously know nothing about me so what basis do you have?

I know a lot about my computer considering I'm the one who built it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:16:10 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;622099
Nice trolling, (continues to fall for troll)

Come on, man. Come on.

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:23:48 »
If you compare the figurehead of Apple (Steve Jobs) with that of Linux (Linus Torvalds), it gives a pretty good indication on what basis the different fans typically pass judgement.

I know a few legit people who use Macs, but unless you're a software developer or computer science researcher you don't have much hope of making it into that category. Others are advised to avoid Macs altogether to distance themselves from that stigma. :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:25:10 »
Quote from: okyup;622110
I know a few legit people who use Macs, but unless you're a software developer or computer science researcher you don't have much hope of making it into that category.

Oh no, whatever can I do to make it in your good graces my lord?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
How elitist are you?
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:31:04 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;622093
Seem to be a lot of both Apple users and Linux/Unix users convinced they're using a superior OS. And they could well both be right, depends on what your needs are.

That's probably the best statement anyone could make. I use Windows, Unix, and OSX at home and they all have their own place. For headless boxes I usually load Unix. My main workstation is a Windows 7 box with many screens. I have a several ESX boxes which I run several VM's in and access through my main workstation via vSphere Client. I also run some VM's locally on my main system if I'm doing a quick test or if I don't want my ESX boxes running.

I have somewhere around 50TB of storage on my network, loaded with various "stuff".

And, if anyone asks, I'm still unhappy with Oracle for what they're doing to Solaris and for what they did to OpenSolaris.

Jobs in the end was really great at marketing and taking credit. Jobs was also good at seeing the value in something others couldn't. But ultimately behind the curtain there were and still are many great engineers at Apple who do great work and help release great products.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:33:12 by RiffRaff »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:38:00 »
Good points RiffRaff and nice set up. One thing you forgot to mention is what your use for OSX at home is, you only talked about linux, windows, and ESX which I agree are all useful. ;)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
How elitist are you?
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:59:55 »
I just went back to the OP, and man have we derailed.

OSX is as close to a modern user's Unix environment as you'll get, given its BSD roots. It offers a very smooth and "solid" GUI with all those *nix utilities I love. It works well for a laptop when navigating with the apple trackpad and multi-touch gestures. Being able to quickly swipe between applications, for example, is great. I also like how backups and restores work in OSX via Time Machine. Not to mention software updates. In the end though, it's not just the OS but the software. I use applications in both OS's, so to me it's really not one or the other.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:03:12 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;622137

OSX is as close to a modern user's Unix environment as you'll get, given its BSD roots. It offers a very smooth and "solid" GUI with all those *nix utilities I love. It works well for a laptop when navigating with the apple trackpad and multi-touch gestures. Being able to quickly swipe between applications, for example, is great. I also like how backups and restores work in OSX via Time Machine. Not to mention software updates. In the end though, it's not just the OS but the software. I use applications in both OS's, so to me it's really not one or the other.

But okyup said Mac users don't know anything. :lalala:

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
How elitist are you?
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:14:01 »
Given the amount of computer stuff at my house, I guess that makes me a bit of a computer junkie/elitist.

I have a 42U purple Sun rack in my office which I really like. I also have a stack of managed PDUs which for a while I was starting to stockpile. In my defense, managed PDUs are cool and I got them dirt cheap. System not responding? Log into your managed PDU and power cycle that port.

In the world of KVM over IP I like Raritan over Avocent just based on what I've used.

Also, one cannot have enough screen space.

Edit: Avocent Cyclades are cool too
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:18:06 by RiffRaff »

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:17:59 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;622137

What kind of Mac OS exclusive GUI applications are there?

Quote from: sth;622140
But okyup said Mac users don't know anything. :lalala:
I was generalizing naturally. Don't get butt-hurt. ;)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
How elitist are you?
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:25:33 »
Quote from: okyup;622148
What kind of Mac OS exclusive GUI applications are there?

Off the top of my head:

Final Cut Pro (for fun)
GarageBand (also for fun)
Sparrow
Pulp
Adium
Alfred
Fluid

Offline okyup

How elitist are you?
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:35:28 »
Looks like nothing that doesn't have a better replacement on Windows. :) Enjoy, though. You seem like enough of a computer elitist so I can't say anything bad about you for playing around with any OS.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
How elitist are you?
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:36:52 »
Quote from: okyup;622169
Looks like nothing that doesn't have a better replacement on Windows. :) Enjoy, though. You seem like enough of a computer elitist so I can't say anything bad about you for playing around with any OS.
Oh, you're precious.

Offline TexasFlood

How elitist are you?
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:01:57 »
RiffRaff.

I'm a thinkpad guy but macbooks do seem pretty solid, just not for me.  OSX is probably fine, I end up using Windows as a workstation just for application compatibility, and am too cheap to add a Mac. Linux can run fine on older gear so always have at least one Linux box around. Got an old 2nd hand SGI and Sun in the closet but don't use them any more. Sounds like you have a lot of nice toys. You must be an elitist one way or the other since you have about one of everything, :wink: Jobs was good at funding, and driving hard, great engineers & cashing in on the results. Pixar was a money pit for him for years but paid off in a big way eventually. As you say, a lot of BSD is there in the core of OSX but the higher level stuff is all Apple IIRC. This was a smart move for Apple and surely improved the product. I'm jealous of your Sun rack, I know exactly what you're describing. I worked at data centers where a lot of such stuff got tossed out but would have been breaking rules to snag it. Neither do I have any managed PDUs or cyclades. I do have an old Avocent CPS1650 that works fine though. Oh, and don't feed the trolls!

Offline Lanx

How elitist are you?
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:45:18 »
trust me, macs are great, i recommend all friends/family/aquaintances/referrals(i.e. lanx is THE computer guy, goto him) to get a mac... why? cuz when they break down or screw up after a year (and they do, all computers do) i just say sorry i don't have a mac to help you out. (of course i don't do this for family... family get's the teamviewer treatment)