Author Topic: [Order Thread] Titanium Spacebar (Closed)  (Read 109085 times)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Re: [Order Thread] Titanium Spacebar
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 05:25:01 »
Feng - There are table tags. They make everything look nice.

This code -

Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Name[/td][td]Length[/td][td]Profile[/td][td]Stems[/td][td]Finish[/td][td]Shipping[/td][td]Paid[/td][td]Shipped[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mkawa[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]The_Beast[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]MagicMeatball[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][color=red]No[/color][/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]The_Ed[/td][td]6.25x[/td][td]Cherry[/td][td]6x[/td][td]Shiny[/td][td]Priority[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]i3oilermaker[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]DanGWanG[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]props_go_round[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Djuzuh[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]dorkvader[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]jrockroll[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mm87[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]longweight[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][color=red]No[/color][/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]jcrouse[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]GMC[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Yes[/td][td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Makes this table -

NameLengthProfileStemsFinishShippingPaidShipped
mkawaYesNo
The_BeastYesNo
MagicMeatballNoNo
The_Ed6.25xCherry6xShinyPriorityYesNo
i3oilermakerYesNo
DanGWanGYesNo
props_go_roundYesNo
DjuzuhYesNo
dorkvaderYesNo
jrockrollYesNo
mm87YesNo
longweightNoNo
jcrouseYesNo
GMCYesNo

Do you understand the code?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 05:34:55 »
I was wondering how you made that list so organized. Now I got it. lol

Will edit it again tomorrow morning. Gotta go sleep now. Good night guys.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 05:50:40 »
Glad I could help. I wonder if the table tags here will allow attributes like a set size and borders...

border and width don't seem to work...
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 20:49:51 »
feng, would you mind pinging me before you send? my address is in flux for the next month.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 20:55:26 »
feng, would you mind pinging me before you send? my address is in flux for the next month.

Same thing here, moving back to the dorm. I don't really want to ship them home, only for them to be shipped to me at my dorm. But if they do end up getting sent home, it's not a big deal.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:10:03 »
This is the spacebar from my KBT Pure. Is there a reason to buy a 6 stem titanium spacebar? or would the 3 stem work for it.

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:22:27 »
@danielucf yeah the 3stem is fine

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:53:06 »
So what is the side of the SC2 titanium caps? Shiny or Brushed? My terran cap looks sandblasted from the top only.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 23:43:35 »
@mkawa and The_Beast: No problem I'll confirm with you guys before shipping.

@danielucf: 3 stems would work for you. SC2 titanium keycaps have a shiny sign and a sandblasted base. Kinda hard to say which spacebar would fit the best. I might pick shiny ones.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 01:20:19 »
I'm probably gonna have to change my spacebar switch to a Grey 37 to combat the weight of the spacebar... Let's hope I receive my phantom switches before the spacebar.
R.I.P.ster

Offline peptobiscuit

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 00:04:03 »
paid :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 02:58:14 »
I'm probably gonna have to change my spacebar switch to a Grey 37 to combat the weight of the spacebar... Let's hope I receive my phantom switches before the spacebar.
I got the spacebar to combat the weight of the "normal" Grey switch in my G80-8113. That's why I opted for 6 stems.

Also, 'cause it's awesome. Now we need one to go with IBM/unicomp.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 03:19:30 »
8113 have tactile grey 39 to match their brown and clear switches. grey 37 is linear so it will match the reds in my 3494.

I don't think there's enough interest for BS, topre, or alps yet. But as with everything here an interest check can surprise you.

How many POS boards have I murdered... Their corpses thrown out after the valuable bits have been sold off piece by piece...

Wait a minute...

Quote from: ripster
Actually my name is now Mother Theresa at Geekhack.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33234.0;topicseen

Peptobiscuit just won a prize btw.

Do NOT BAN HIM iMAV.  HE IS NOT ME!!!!!

Now I DID used to be...Happy Rainbows.  Funny that the moderators there figured that one out pretty quickly. (although he is still entered in Demik's Key Giveaway - lol).

Is that you Ripster?
R.I.P.ster

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 03:35:14 »
8113 have tactile grey 39 to match their brown and clear switches. grey 37 is linear so it will match the reds in my 3494.

I don't think there's enough interest for BS, topre, or alps yet. But as with everything here an interest check can surprise you.

How many POS boards have I murdered... Their corpses thrown out after the valuable bits have been sold off piece by piece...

Wait a minute...

Quote from: ripster
Actually my name is now Mother Theresa at Geekhack.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33234.0;topicseen

Peptobiscuit just won a prize btw.

Do NOT BAN HIM iMAV.  HE IS NOT ME!!!!!

Now I DID used to be...Happy Rainbows.  Funny that the moderators there figured that one out pretty quickly. (although he is still entered in Demik's Key Giveaway - lol).

Is that you Ripster?

I'm sad for all those POS boards :(

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 03:46:08 »
They WERE all NIB too... I should throw away quite a few of the boxes as well since they're literally piling up...

feng - How much does a titanium 6 stem 6.25x cherry profile spacebar weigh? If it weighs less than I think, then a black switch might be more appropriate for the spacebar than a grey 37. If you don't know then I'll just have to figure it out when I get mine.
R.I.P.ster

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 05:29:34 »
feng, is this pure titanium or is it mixed with some other alloy?

Offline kalrykh

[Order Thread] Titanium Spacebar
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 05:36:53 »
Eh, not sure why you're asking that, but the purest titanium you're going to find on the open market is about 90 percent titanium, with the rest made of aluminum, vanadium, and a few other trace elements, like carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, boron, and yttrium. 

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 05:42:58 »
Because it would be nice to have as much of the precious titanium as possible, not 15% titanium, 85% of other cheap alloys, and call it a titanium space bar.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 06:51:31 »
Eh, not sure why you're asking that, but the purest titanium you're going to find on the open market is about 90 percent titanium, with the rest made of aluminum, vanadium, and a few other trace elements, like carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, boron, and yttrium. 

Not at all true.

Because it would be nice to have as much of the precious titanium as possible, not 15% titanium, 85% of other cheap alloys, and call it a titanium space bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_alloy

There are only a small amounts of other elements. If this is un-alloyed, then it is fairly close to 100%. Some only have fractions of a percent of another element. Note that these are the alloys, the pure just have contaminants which constitute even less.

Offline kalrykh

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 16:32:59 »
Regardless of what you think you know, I see titanium on a daily basis at work.  My company makes bars and coils of high grade titanium and titanium alloy for aerospace and defense.  I certify that the processes and chemistry are to spec and see the exact amounts of each element included.  "Commercial grade" is not what you're going to find being used to make key caps. 

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 16:58:16 »
Would where ever these are produced determine the quality? Or is titanium readily available pretty much everywhere?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 17:03:24 »
both of you guys work with titanium on a daily basis, lol

anyway, it will be as pure as you're going to find in a spacebar for the time being WFD

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 18:07:14 »
hey may I ask silly question
is the only difference between the OEM and Cherry the profile?
and which is better suited for poker and filco
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline peptobiscuit

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 18:13:17 »
hey may I ask silly question
is the only difference between the OEM and Cherry the profile?
and which is better suited for poker and filco

OEM is like KBC (poker) and filco, as said right on the order form here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dGRqajZ3d0VfVkRnMTRqLV9DVHFVMkE6MQ

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 19:22:46 »
They WERE all NIB too... I should throw away quite a few of the boxes as well since they're literally piling up...

feng - How much does a titanium 6 stem 6.25x cherry profile spacebar weigh? If it weighs less than I think, then a black switch might be more appropriate for the spacebar than a grey 37. If you don't know then I'll just have to figure it out when I get mine.
It weigh about 28g.  Thanks for helping me out on the order list BTW, really helpful. :)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 19:27:07 »
feng, is this pure titanium or is it mixed with some other alloy?

It's called Titanium TC10 in China. About 85% pure titanium. Maybe called Ti-662 in US.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2012, 20:59:27 by feng »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 19:36:59 »
I actually never heard of titanium being that unpure. 15 percent interstitials would be considered a crazy contamination in most fields. I have never seen titanium with that much foreign material. Then again, I have only ever used it in construction. My titanium keys were grade 5 or even 23.

Kudos on not going overkill I suppose.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 21:07:43 »

It weigh about 28g.  Thanks for helping me out on the order list BTW, really helpful. :)

You're welcome. When you get around to shipping them you could put a "shipped" column as well.
R.I.P.ster

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 21:23:16 »
I'll send the first batch of orders to the producer on Sunday and the producing will be started at the time. If anyone wanna get in the boat, go order now. :)

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 21:25:25 »
Nice (shiny titanium) boat.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 23:49:50 »
thanks peptobiscuit I hadn't looked at the order form, cheers

edit: assuming from all the orders that the right one to get for poker is 6.25 3 stem?
(sorry I don't have a ruler with inches/know which side of the spacebar to measure/or a keycap puller)
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2012, 23:59:00 by mehkat1974 »
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 01:53:47 »
I actually never heard of titanium being that unpure. 15 percent interstitials would be considered a crazy contamination in most fields. I have never seen titanium with that much foreign material. Then again, I have only ever used it in construction. My titanium keys were grade 5 or even 23.

Kudos on not going overkill I suppose.
frankly, this is basically cosmetic, and i'm sure it helps decrease the labor needed to finish the caps..

Offline limmy

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 02:45:28 »
28g seems to be very heavy for a key. Cherry PBT spacebar is about 7g, so that makes the titanium spacebar 4 times heavier. My guess is that it is going to feel pretty dull(not snappy) unless you have strong springs.

If you want to feel how it would be like to have 28g spacebar, tape 4 nickles(20g) on to your space bar.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 03:18:27 »
WTB: one strong spring.

Thanks !

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 18:15:37 »
Just buy a grey 39 from me. You can swap it's spring into your switch or just use the grey 39 as it is. $3 gifted for contiguous US, or $4.50 gifted worldwide. Add 50cents if you cant gift.

I can't wait to get my spacebar. I've been ogling at the previous ones since last year.
R.I.P.ster

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 21:17:20 »
Titanium sputtering targets will be almost completely pure, sputtering requires 99.99% or better purity for various reasons (and sputtering samples are necessarily super expensive)

Here's one example I found online:
http://www.americanelements.com/tistr.html
I bet the 99.999% one costs a fortune.

Elsewhere I've seen 38*0.5mm 99.998% titanium are about $400
http://www.tedpella.com/cressing_html/targets.htm
---
There is no need for this level of purity for most applications, though. In fact, as with most metals, carefully controlled amounts of alloying agents can be crucial.

In short: I can't wait to get mine in the mail!

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 00:13:35 »
I am absolutely thrilled at the quality of my titanium SC2 key and even if it is only 85% titanium I know this spacebar will last ages and look amazing.

Offline paudash

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 03:06:54 »
paid for two. thanks

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 06:30:48 »
Just sent my order and payment, hope I had it on time for the first batch.

Btw, I ordered a cherry profile but it'll be for normal filco size profile caps. Would that look awkward? I know space bars have a slightly higher profile than normal caps, so I hope this won't look like crap being too low compared to the surrounding keys.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
Re: [Order Thread] Titanium Spacebar (Updates: SP profile available)
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:10:53 »
SP profile added. I've PMed those of you who ordered cherry profile due to the new option - SP profile.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:11:55 »
Sticking with my original order, thanks for the heads up feng

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:14:42 »
It's getting cooler =P~

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:18:15 »
I use exclusively cherry DS so I am sticking with cherry profile.
R.I.P.ster

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:32:44 »
I've never had a cherry profile space bar, but I do have SP ones, and also imsto's thick PBT space bar. If anyone else has all of these, how does the cherry profile compare to imsto thick PBT's? And which one is taller, cherry or SP profile?

Offline mm87

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:35:05 »
Imsto's thick PBT is cherry profile.

Offline limmy

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:37:39 »
Here is a comparison between Cherry Profile and SP profile.

1968-0
The image is from my review of Moogle R3. ( http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4922875 )
Personally, I do not like SP's spacebar because it feels a bit sharp on the edges.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:40:46 »
SP profiles hurts my thumb :(

Cherry profile!!!!!!!!!!
Keyboardless

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:40:58 »
Whatever the profile of the keycap set you're using is, that is the profile you need to order the titanium spacebar in. If you're using cherry DS like me, you will order a cherry profile titanium spacebar.
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:41:52 »
Whatever the profile of the keycap set you're using is, that is the profile you need to order the titanium spacebar in. If you're using cherry DS like me, you will order a cherry profile titanium spacebar.
Even if you use SP keys, get a cherry profile space, not sure how people can enjoy SP's sharp spacebars
Keyboardless

Offline limmy

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:47:12 »
Knowing that the spacebar is definitely Cherry Profile is much more tempting.

In the above pic, the Cherry Profile space bar was modded to fit my Poker. Plus, the space bar sits slightly higher than the rest of the mod keys. See below.
1970-0