Author Topic: Sharp Things - Knives, Swords, Bayonets and Axes - Pictures and discussion  (Read 117893 times)

Offline Lanx

so i got the edge pro clone, and immediately went to hot glue the rare earth magnets to the bottom, i noticed that i loose alot of magnetic sticky because of the plastic in between so i then proceeded to drill out enough plastic so that the magnets actually touch the knife (theres a lay of tape, i took pics)

took a few mins, one thing i had an issue with since i'm hot gluing a big hunk of metal, the hot glue dried almost instantly since it's like a big ass heat sink, so i had to try to put glue on plastic first, just not a lot of room to work with.

after that was done, it was strong enough to hold up (vertically, like you hang knives on the magnetic strip on a wall) a 8" chefs knife and even a meat cleaver, so yea this ain't moving no where.

the stones that come with it, i guess are alright, even the very fine 1500 grit took off ALOT of metal, it was dandruff.

anyway the edge is even finer, i can slice through paper easily and it's easier to shave my arm.

next i'm gonna gerry rig a way to put DMT stones on the edge pro, already order the extra extra fine dmt stone. oh the rods wouldn't move in nicely, i'm guessing cuz it's a cheap chinese clone, but dab of seseme oil (it has to be asian oil, smells better) and now it glides on air.

Offline feizor

So all these knives are used for shaving?

Offline Lanx

From forums thats how they say its sharp, if it cuts paper from heel to tip and can shave man arms.

Offline feizor

From forums thats how they say its sharp, if it cuts paper from heel to tip and can shave man arms.

Oh I see

Offline Lanx

heres the final mod, as you see it is holding up a pairing knife, with earth magnets, and i've modified it so that it accepts 4in dmt aligner diamond stones (i only have the extra extra fine for now)

these are the 6 earth magnets

heres the hole drill out, just a few drill presses and swoosh around to clear out plastic

here it is holding up a meat cleaver, it's really strong, magnetized

Offline hehenri

Marttiini "guerrilla knife"

Offline iri

nah. where are beautiful puukkos?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Lanx

just got the dmt deluxe set, so now i have diamond 4in stones in course/fine/extra fine/extra extra fine.

they take off tons of metal too. i also bought this kick ass 10$ pearing knife off amazon, in japanese style.

japanese fruit knife

i like that it has a sheath, i'mma gonna buy 5 more and use them as steak knives. currently i have the steak knives that are super huge, you find in steak houses, but they're serrated and i wanna get away from serrated knives. (it makes the steak look horrible once you cut it up)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Again some more pictures...
This time, as iri didn't respond, with the gloves of the 1st series:

Smith and Wesson M&P 4 Folder

Similar to the SWMP5 folder I posted, but I like it less...
- Good open-assist feature
- Thumb-stud useable
- Flipper is ergonomic
- Safety lock and general shape imo less good than on the v5

Schrade SCHA4B Folder

Made by the same OEM as the SWMP series...
- Good "MAGIC" open-assist feature
- Thumb-stud kinda useable
- Flipper kinda ergonomic
- Nice shape and look

GANZO G712 Folder

Chinese folding knife with Axis-Lock...
- Interesting look and shape (stolen from Benchmade)
- Pretty good quality, very good bang for the buck
- Opening via Axis-Lock is less smooth than on Benchmade's
- No open-assist

Navy K-620 Folder

Chinese folding knife with Back-Lock...
- Interesting look and shape
- Good bang for the buck
- No open-assist

Kershaw Cryo Tanto Blackwash (1555TBW) Folder

Small open-assist folder with Frame-Lock...
- Nice finish
- Good build quality
- Safe use (Frame-Lock and flipper prevents closing)

Kershaw Cryo II (1556TI)

Big open-assist folder with Frame-Lock...
- Good build quality
- Safe use (Frame-Lock and flipper prevents closing)

Katz Knives 6 1/2" Alley Kat (KZAK6006)

Smaller version of the Alley Kat, very nice combat knife...
- Light and balanced
- Grippy handle
- Pricey

Ontario Knifes EOD Ranger Karambit

Good quality and sturdy karambit...
- Perhaps a bit heavy
- Weird edge
- Pricey

FOX Knives Folding Karambit FX-599

Smaller and improved brother of the FX-479 I posted earlier...
- Good build quality
- Improved Emerson wave/hook

FX-479 -VS- FX-599

As you can see the FX-599 has a much sharper/pointier hook,
this results in a much better draw -> open success rate...

No name / Handmade Karambits

Not bad, but quality and finish could be better!
- Cheap but useable
- Sluggish craftmanship

Colt Mini Karambit (CT646)

POS mini Karambit, I hate it!
- So small that you have to use your middle finger instead of your index finger for the hole
- Finger-hole too small for most fingers (I'm 180cm/75kg with glove size 9 and it won't work)
- Supposed to be a neck knife but can't be drawn in that way (ball-chain necklace breaks, knife get's stuck in the sheath)
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:28:51 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline iri

This time, as iri didn't respond
eh? my default response to any of your posts in this thread is "please continue" :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Actually I run out of knifes to post... ^^;
There are perhaps 4 or 5 more (not counting box cutters and cheap kitchen knifes)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Ontario Knifes EOD Ranger Karambit

Show Image

Good quality and sturdy karambit...
- Perhaps a bit heavy
- Pricey

Should have mentioned that the factory edge is weird...
It has a very steep angle, needs re-profiling to work as a karambit (sweep cuts / slashing).
The good thing, while doing this you could also profile the false edge on the back, something I might do soon :)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
I have been using this Kershaw as my EDC and I love it.  The size is small, but perfectly functional for my every day uses.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/chive-rainbow

I'm now on the hunt for high end knives of this form factor.  Any suggestions??

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
i'm not crazy about anything other than kitchen knives myself.  kramer's knives make me salivate.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

oh hot damn yes please!
they fold some freaking awesome designs
always liked damascus work

Offline Lanx

i've now carabined an old belt to my oven handle and use that to strop my knives along with honing.

should probably buy a pro barber style just to look nicer heh.

Offline iri

LOOK I BOUGHT AN OPINEL

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Nice! And you got tacticool gloves :3

Offline iri

this spring i was cycling on a narrow street when a parked car driver opened her door into me. i flew over the handlebars in a spectacular manner and hurt a knuckle. it took it 1.5 months to recover. since then i decided to not cycle on the roads any more and also to buy gloves with knuckle protection. had visited quite a few motorcycle gear shops and then bought those in a tourist shop for ~18 euros.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Ouch, good you recovered...

Offline Lanx

latest car door opening into motorcycle video,

oh and it's russian, those crazy russians and their dash cams, guess they gotta have go pro helmet cams too.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
This thread needs another butterfly (and a bump).

(this bump sponsored by your friendly neighborhood Potato)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
This thread needs another butterfly (and a bump).

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

(this bump sponsored by your friendly neighborhood Potato)

Nice. Gotta love that axis lock.

Offline osi

Options for :

- Blade Length 3 to 4 inches (prefer shorter)
- Tanto
- dark finish
- folding w/ assist
- durable
- small Partial serration desired not required
- balanced

Cold steel mini or micro. Hrmmm   Micro is tiny -- wut -- nm
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:45:45 by osi »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
After using a larger Benchmade as an EDC for some time I switched the Kershaw Chive and fell in love with the size.  It is small but fits so well in that small pocket in jeans, and is more than sufficient for what I use it for.  Then, I caught the collectors bug.

72389-0

It is surpising how different these 3 feel.  The rainbow one is definitely the heaviest most sold build with the snappiest assist.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
After using a larger Benchmade as an EDC for some time I switched the Kershaw Chive and fell in love with the size.  It is small but fits so well in that small pocket in jeans, and is more than sufficient for what I use it for.  Then, I caught the collectors bug.

(Attachment Link)

It is surpising how different these 3 feel.  The rainbow one is definitely the heaviest most sold build with the snappiest assist.

I've always found the Rainbow Ken Onion Kershaws to be pretty cute. That said, I love my Benchmade too much, and handle size matters to me. I could not carry around a 1.75" knife, because I don't really do 3-fingered grip knives (except when I'm in places where that's all I can carry). A 3-inch knife is really about the smallest I can carry comfortably.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Lanx

Re: Sharp Things - Knives, Swords, Bayonets and Axes - Pictures and discussion
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:57:26 »
i recently bought an old hickory paring knife, i wanted to see how i'd like 1095 steel (high carbon, good edge retention, horrible rust)

Amazon.com : Ontario Knife Co. 5-Piece Old Hickory Knife Set 705 : Hunting Knives : Sports  Outdoors

when i got it, it was pretty dull, i mean if i forced it at the right angle i could cut paper, but i mean come on. i spent half an hour re-profiling it, with just a x-coarse diamond stone it was sharper, but i did change the angle, i went all the way to the 10k stone, and now it cuts newspaper easily, it actually feels nice.

i needed a new paring knife since i'm dehydrating lots of peaches now, i hope it won't leave a "metallic" taste.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 19:25:54 »
Not into knifes at all but I bought this one last year in spain and thought you might enjoy it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 04:03:03 »
Old picture:
Show Image

Awesome Spyderco collection man!  :thumb:

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Sharp Things - Knives, Swords, Bayonets and Axes - Pictures and discussion
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 18:23:22 »
is there a knife with a really long damascus blade? i love long straight blades on knives, not really a fan of compact knives, even if they have all the sexy robot-penis rectangles, curves shapes and patterns, apart from minimalist karambits and a select few other things
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 02:10:09 »
is there a knife with a really long damascus blade?
a ****ton of such in local stores.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 03:50:01 »

is there a knife with a really long damascus blade?
a ****ton of such in local stores.
n-n-n-niiiiiice
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 15:31:49 »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 01:09:26 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 01:26:28 »
Has anyone in here made their own knife?  I got a hankering to do so recently.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #234 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 08:28:14 »
EnZo Trapper. Not from scratch but with a blade blank like this, flat grind & D2 steel. They're awesome little knives, very similar to the Fallkniven F1 at half the price.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 10:47:57 »
Just got an Esee 4 for my birthday. Excited!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:24:50 »
Just got an Esee 4 for my birthday. Excited!

Very nice, I like the orange handle version.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:33:46 »

Mine is tan/tan with black sheath and molle back. It's amazing how solid it feels. Probably because the blade is soooo thick.

I'm back.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 11:40:44 »
Damn thats a thick blade. I like that color handle too!  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 12:19:52 »

Damn thats a thick blade. I like that color handle too!  :thumb:

I really like it a lot. Before I got it I thought I might switch out the Micarta handles for G10 but they are sooo comfortable. Hard to describe. Smooth and soft but still grippy. The G10 handles on my Benchmade Osborne feel harsh and sharp by comparison.

I'm back.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 13:25:54 »
rift is so huge. My co-worker has one and I compared with my 470.

I really want to trade my 470 for a 943 (not a fan of assist). I should do that sometime.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:59:23 »
Got a few goodies today from Knife Center. The pouch for my Esee 4 (it's designed for the 5/6, but fits fine) was my main reason for the order. But they had this Alfa Benetti and Schrade Water Rat for dirt cheap. Each under $15. Both made in China, but quality seems reasonable.

I'm back.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 13:47:35 »
Made my first lanyards.. Pretty fun! Crappy photos..

Offline iri

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 18:13:00 »
i like your definition of crappy photos, dustin.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 18:25:01 »
Nice, dustin.  Those micarta or G10 handles?
I'm back.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 18:26:40 »
Nice, dustin.  Those micarta or G10 handles?

Thanks! They are all G10. ;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:29:49 »

Paramilitary 2, G10 Digicam, Deep Carry Bronze Clip, Custom Lanyard.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:32:41 »
Show Image

Show Image

Paramilitary 2, G10 Digicam, Deep Carry Bronze Clip, Custom Lanyard.

Very nice  :thumb:

I have been trying to find a Paramilitary2 with black handle, and satin blade.  It seems like they are always out of stock everywhere.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:41:07 »
Benchmade 530 & 3550 Auto

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline xredman

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 17:38:07 »
Got this today!
Sebenza 21 Small with Micarta Inlays

Sebenza and Benchmade 530