Author Topic: Leopold FC700R. I gotta say, I like it.  (Read 13458 times)

Offline snarlingchicken

Leopold FC700R. I gotta say, I like it.
« on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 00:20:55 »
So I had the chance to go to Korea this past July and I managed to pick one of these babies up with Cherry MX Reds. I opted for the grey colored keyboards as I didn't want black and the white seemed to get dirty. Typing on it, I gotta say, (coming from blues especially) I have definitely found my favorite switch. It'll be hard to go back to blues. Typing is so much more smooth, far less fatiguing (not that blues were that fatiguing though to begin with), and the media keys are a definite luxury to have.

I opted to get the PBT caps with the korean text as well, because, hell, why not? The key caps feel nice and definitely have a good texture to them in comparison to the lame ABS ones on the CM Storm. In regards to the Cherry vs. Costar stabilizers, I'm really not sure what to say, since the only reason I liked the costar stabilizers was because I thought they had a nice clicky feedback, whereas now, I'm thinking that it was just the blue switch that caused it. To be honest, they seem the same to be, and the Cherry stabilizers do make it a lot easier to remove the space bar, shift key, etc.

In terms of the weight and build quality, it certainly feels nice and heavy, and absolutely solid. I also love the rubber feet (since the CM Storm I had didn't have them) and they do definitely help in terms of keeping the keyboard in place.

Typing wise, the experience is definitely like what the pseudonym for reds describes. I'm probably around ~90-100 WPM on average and getting better as I use it more and more.

If EK gets these any time soon, I wouldn't mind recommending it to any potential buyers. Although of course, since the Filcos with Reds have already come out, I don't see why you would wanna wait for this keyboard either. But heck. A good keyboard's a good keyboard.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Leopold FC700R. I gotta say, I like it.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 15:19:31 »
That's one darn good looking keyboard. I don't think I've seen pictures of the black one yet, and it really does look good.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 15:28:49 »
I can't wait until these come to US soil. I love the grey look and I would love to get one of the white ones that I have seen pictures of.

Offline perragnar

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 16:32:26 »
Very nice keyboard! Hopefully i can resist when opportunity arises. Probably won't.

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 16:35:32 »
Most definitely. I gotta say, the combo of PBT caps + Reds makes the typing experience as smooth as silk. It's gonna be hard to see how my KBT RACE with reds will stack up once it finally arrives.

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 18:45:30 »
It's certainly quieter, (the sound of the keycap bottoming out is somewhat dampened I believe) but honestly, I like typing without it.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 18:57:31 »
 I don't really think that I would use that "condom". I would probably go bare back the way that god intended  :D

All jokes aside though I think that cover would actually take away the feeling of the PBT keycaps.

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 19:25:02 »
I don't really think that I would use that "condom". I would probably go bare back the way that god intended  :D

All jokes aside though I think that cover would actually take away the feeling of the PBT keycaps.

Exactly (to the second part that is). Lol, I can't type as fast with the cover on either. The rubber just doesn't let my fingers glide as smoothly as I would like.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 19:32:04 »
I would love to get my hands on one of these with browns thought. I hope they starting carrying them over here soon.

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 03:02:35 »
when will these come the the US? God I want one

Offline Rafen

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 05:49:49 »
when will these come the the US? God I want one
I was hoping that elitekeyboards would be carrying them soon but I don't know if he is and he still has a lot of stock left of the FC200's. Maybe we can hope they might be over here sometime before Christmas.

Offline Deekin

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 07:27:38 »
That keyboard looks so f*cking sweet!  ;D

I really like the grey looks of the keyboard and keycaps. Seems to be yet another color scheme to add on my wishlist. Also want a white Tenkeyless :-X

Typing on reds with PBT keycaps... I cannot even imagine how nice that would feel as reds are also my favourite MX switch.

I know that it will be impossible to get Leopolds FC700R with ISO layout (I know you guys think ISO is gimp, but here it is standard). If there was one I would order it super fast.

How much did it cost anyway? Around the same price as the Duckys Year or the Dragon keyboard? not that I know the price of that keyboard anyway, lol.

Honestly now that I think about it, I think I like that grey color more than even the white. Looks so slick.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 09:34:35 »
yep, they are extremely impressive little boards. imo the design is _more_ solid than filco's current designs, and they managed a detachable cable while still maintaining the robustness of an attached cable. the stock caps are also far superior to filco's. the only flaw is the odd spacebar stem spacing. but, honestly, that's perfectly fixable, a few molds just need to be made and we'll be able to get full compatibility with all our usual aftermarket keycap sources.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mantle

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 16:20:08 »
I'm really digging mine. I got lucky and was able to score one here in the classifieds. I like the squared-off edges much more than the rounded FC200, and the grey color is subtly more interesting than black without being flashy.

Typing with the cover on works fine, but I only do it occasionally when I want to damp the racket of the cherry blues late at night! It makes the blues a LOT quieter.

My only complaint is that, at least on my board, "CapsLock" is one word and "Back space" is two, which just looks odd to me! Not really a big deal, though.

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 22:28:02 »
All I can say is that it looks amazing. I do hope that EK does get them in the future. Because I would totally love to get a red or brown switch to replace my blue switch Leopold tenkeyless (Thinking about selling it soon).
-/ Rosewill RK-9000BR - Leopold CODE VB2 TKL BROWN \-

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 18:28:21 »
Sorry to be a total n00b, but what has been changed in the FC700R compared to the FC200R (or the FC500R for that matter)?  Is it just the media keys?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 18:36:48 »
Seeexxy!   I went from blues to red too (although I've tried all switches), and reds are now my fave!

Offline Deekin

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 01:20:22 »
Sorry to be a total n00b, but what has been changed in the FC700R compared to the FC200R (or the FC500R for that matter)?  Is it just the media keys?

The FC700 also have PBT keycaps now which is great!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 01:23:31 »
It has a way nicer case imo than the fc200r -- not as 'rounded'.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 06:02:55 »
It's really a beautiful board. Got one for my brother (for once we Aussies have something the Americans don't!) and it's so well made for the price point. Best stock caps of the modern boards, IMO.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 15:04:36 »
I was tempted by the white Leopold FC700R, but the balance tipped in favour of a QFR as my intention was to replace the keycaps and I didn't want the hassle of finding a suitable spacebar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline webs0r

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 15:13:29 »
I just picked one up myself and I am really enjoying it. The slightly lower key profile really helps my typing and makes extended gaming sessions a lot easier. The key press is so silky (I got the reds as well)!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 15:36:51 by webs0r »
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 15:40:59 »
If itIt is one of the few mech keyboards with white cases in Australia, which was what attracted me to it.  But my QFR has a sort of silver case, which looks nice.  Nearly everything else is black.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 16:49:35 »
How much did you pay for this in Korea in won and where? I would have no clue where to start looking for keyboards in Korea. Yongsan (electronics central)? That's the only place that comes to mind for me... I want to know how much money to take when I go to Korea next :P

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:38:12 »
Shame about the spacebar. It sounds picky but it seems like it's the only thing stopping me from buying this thing.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:42:44 »
If the leo has one fault, it's the spacebar :(

It's what's keeping me away from the 700 currently
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 21:31:46 »
Shame about the spacebar. It sounds picky but it seems like it's the only thing stopping me from buying this thing.

It comes with very nice PBT keycaps.  You don't have to replace them!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 21:38:13 »

It comes with very nice PBT keycaps.  You don't have to replace them!

PBT spacebar too?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 21:41:21 »
I dunno... you think it could be ABS like my Realforce?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 00:09:29 »
snarlingchicken, after using it for several months, do you see any "problems" with this? EK said they won't be carrying these new Leopolds because there were some kind of problems with the keyboard and said he only wanted to provide the best for customers.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 01:39:14 »
Without elaborating that seems to be a weird comment...

I would have thought it was the non standard space bar but I think the 500 has the same issue right?  And they carry that...

Offline webs0r

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 02:43:06 »
I've only had mine a week - the only thing I notice is on my sample there is a bit of ping a if I smack certain keys hard (particular the arrow keys).

I'm yet to receive my cherry o-rings - I'll see if they make any appreciable difference to the ping.
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:55:26 »
If enough people can demonstrate that there would be a sustained market for these, be might be persuaded.