Author Topic: New Steelseries keyboard in a year or so  (Read 3730 times)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
New Steelseries keyboard in a year or so
« on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:12:09 »
So I went to MLG Raleigh and bumped into Stu Grubbs who works in Marketing for Steelseries. I showed him my KBT Pure with PBT Keys and MX Reds in a oneproduct aluminum case and he absolutely loved it. We got to talking about future keyboards and he mentioned that he was starting to develop the next Steelseries high end keyboard for next year. Here are some of the details we talked about:
Probably MX Browns
full color change LED back lit
takes two USB ports to power it
USB Hub
Headphone/mic pass through
around $200

I told him to try and go for an ANSI layout instead of the bad layout with the bigass enter key that plagues the 7G and the 6Gv2. I also suggested PBT keys since they are durable, and told him a little about double shots as well. He mentioned that he occasionally lurks here and will some day ask the community some questions about what they would be looking for in a gaming keyboard. It could be interesting if this was the first keyboard not stuck with only one color of back lighting.

Also those with the Steelseries 7G or 6Gv2 with keys that got worn out too fast should go to the Steelseries web site and put in a ticket for replacement caps. Stu said Steelseries was not happy with how fast the keys became shiny and lost the characters on top and are sending out replacements upon request.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: New Steelseries keyboard in a year or so
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:13:50 »
lolwut requires 2 usb ports and has MX browns? i love their case design but they always manage to do something f-d up :P
it is, however, AWESOME to me that more kbd makers are listening to their users!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:21:42 »
I have to say that I dislike every one of those features. :D
Probably MX Browns - One of my least favorite keys.
full color change LED back lit - Dislike backlighting.
takes two USB ports to power it - Rather have one.
USB Hub - Don't want extra things sticking out of my keyboard.
Headphone/mic pass through - Don't want extra things sticking out of my keyboard.
around $200 - I could buy two nice mechanical keyboards for that much .

I guess that's why I ended up with a Filco..

Though the one thing that's missing on a lot of mechanical keyboards are high quality dedicated media keys.
I also like my keyboard to weigh a lot and be easily moddable (unlike Filco) and have a detachable cable (unlike Filco).

We really need a plate mount keyboard with easily swappable switches for easy replacement or people who get the brilliant idea to swap the vowel switches for MX green or to make just their "gaming" switches mx red.  :))

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:22:44 »
Yea I told him that Reds might be better, he seemed open to it but I guess what ever the community decides. Personally I think they should just carry more than one switch type. Cooler Master does it on their keyboards like the Quickfire.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline sokjin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:25:51 »
no one in Australia stocks the original black switch 6v2 anymore from what I can see... Seems like SS have stopped production of the keyboards

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:42:45 »
no one in Australia stocks the original black switch 6v2 anymore from what I can see... Seems like SS have stopped production of the keyboards

Nope, PLE and PCCG is still stocking them.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:47:16 »
Steelseries actually had a product survey up on their facebook page about this earlier, they were calling it the "Steelseries Alpha", though they said they were looking into other names. I can't find the link to the survey, as I think it was only open for a limited time. But the features looked decent, though I think the price is a little high. Should have taken a screenshot of all the features they were listing =\

Offline sokjin

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:51:35 »

Oh, I meant most retailers say they stock them but if you actually try and order one they are out of stock. If you check all most retailers on staticice.com.au no one on there has stock lol

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 03:39:57 »

Oh, I meant most retailers say they stock them but if you actually try and order one they are out of stock. If you check all most retailers on staticice.com.au no one on there has stock lol

Actually, you can always ask them and they'll have stock in for you. I tried asking PLE about Steelseries Frost Blue headset, and they said they would get one for me when they don't even sell it. Maybe it's because Steelseries is less famous here, but if you ask, they will help to get it for you.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Deekin

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 06:20:55 »
Could accept anything but the choice of Mx Brown switch, not my fav.
But it could maybe be smart from their side since the only GAMING Mx Brown keyboard atm is the Zowie Celeritas or the Blackwidow Stealth.
Not that the term GAMING in any way makes it worse to game on a Das with Mx Browns than a "gaming" keyboard as Zowie Celeritas with Mx Browns.

Also the price is........  :-\