Author Topic: Anyone else have a CM QuickFire Rapid without any labeling?  (Read 51842 times)

Offline ranunky

Re: Anyone else have a CM QuickFire Rapid without any labeling?
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:17:47 »

Bought at Scan.co.uk.

Scan.co.uk have reds in stock with UK layout.

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #601 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:30:33 »
Excellent

Thanks for that, being looking for a shop that ships to Ireland with reds :)

Offline lrch

« Reply #602 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 09:40:43 »
Finally got my Quickfire Red (no labeling, no Storm-key), and the goddamn left ALT doesn't work. Colour me MAD.

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #603 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:31:53 »
Check the cable is plugged in properly, try (gently) unplugging and replugging it a couple of times.

Try the keyboard on a different computer.

Try a different USB cable.
... to force the flat horseshoe-style cherry on the date of the first pillar of the keycaps ...

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black

Is this even necessary?

Online Lu_e

« Reply #604 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:30:22 »
Has that problem been reported as a cable issue? hard to imagine a single switch failing because of a cord.

#'s with that same problem are disturbingly high.
MX

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #605 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:49:32 »
Has that problem been reported as a cable issue? hard to imagine a single switch failing because of a cord.

No it is not a cord issue.

The numbers seem high only because it affected one shipment batch (1/10 boards in one shipment we received), so its not necessarily high overall, just very concentrated during a short run.

We will be happy to replace it and I do apologize for any inconvenience..

Costar has identified the issue, apologized a million times and we changed a few SOPs for QC. Rest assured this will not happen again.

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Anyone else have a CM QuickFire Rapid without any labeling?
« Reply #606 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:23:56 »
This kind of direct feedback is invaluable. Carter is da man!!1!!
... to force the flat horseshoe-style cherry on the date of the first pillar of the keycaps ...

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black

Is this even necessary?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #607 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 19:44:21 »
Carter to the rescue!

I ended up buying a Rosewill but this kind of service makes me really want to buy a QFR.   I did not buy a QFR (yet) because I needed a numeric keypad and I was pretty sure I could find a bug in their keyboard controller.  And I did not want to spend 12 hours debugging their controller chip. 

But Carter is dam cool so I will probably take the plunge before long.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Online Vintage

« Reply #608 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 21:03:50 »
Yeah, Gogo Carter!

CM support FTW!
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Steelseries Sensei RAW

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Anyone else have a CM QuickFire Rapid without any labeling?
« Reply #609 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 21:30:47 »
On a related note, does the rubberised coating on the case wear away any quicker than plain plastic? Not that I have used mine much, but.

Is this even necessary?

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #610 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 22:28:34 »
Is there anyway I could get a Rapid Red without labeling in Australia?

Offline lrch

« Reply #611 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 14:06:01 »
Check the cable is plugged in properly, try (gently) unplugging and replugging it a couple of times.
Try the keyboard on a different computer.
Try a different USB cable.

Reseated cable, unplugging a few times (cold boot). Haven't tried different cable or PC yet, nor the PS2 adapter. It seems weird that either of these would make a single key fail intermittently. I did try manipulating the switch with no key, that had the ~same rate of misfires as with the keycap in place.

The numbers seem high only because it affected one shipment batch (1/10 boards in one shipment we received), so its not necessarily high overall, just very concentrated during a short run.

Costar has identified the issue, apologized a million times and we changed a few SOPs for QC. Rest assured this will not happen again.

I'm assuming this is referring to the same problem I'm having? It's weird, it will fire 9 out of 10 times and then go back to 0 out of 10; hell hath no fury like an ALT-key scorn.

This is in Euroland, however. Is there an official statement of some kind I could refer the seller to? RMA checks tend to be really pedantic, and I would imagine my finicky ALT key would pose some problem (imagine if you will a tech pressing it 5 times in a 9 out of 10 streak; LOL dis werks customer dumb pay us monies).

Should I contact my closest Coolermaster regional office instead?

TotalChaos: I would have thought I would never miss my numpad, but I think I might have to purchase a standalone. It seems I've been using it a lot more often than I can recollect, predominantly the enter key right next to my mouse hand (hitting it with my thumb for list entries and paste actions).

Otherwise I am really pleased with the QFR. Been typing on it for a few hours since yesterday. I keep applying too much force, although that has improved somewhat. I've considered O-rings already.

My only complaint is the funky font, but that's really a taste issue and can easily be remedied. It looks great without the labeling.

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 14:22:57 by lrch »

Online dorkvader

• ** Civil Servant Emeritus
  • ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
« Reply #612 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 02:19:26 »

Since I've taken my board apart several times (and I have the pictures to prove it) as well as ordered it from Taiwan when they very first came out, (and it's probably more than a year old) I consider my warranty to be not available. Is there any information as to what actually causes the issue? I'm keen on repairing mine.
let me put together your keyboard! Nut&bolt mod (many pictures)
"One should watch a film adaptation of a favorite book only after considering, very carefully, the fact that the casting of the film may very well become the permanent casting of the book in one's mind. This is a very real hazard."

Offline WhipeeDip

« Reply #613 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:18:40 »
Ordered mine last Friday, got free 2 day shipping via Prime. Shipped from the Amazon warehouse in  Phoenix.
Got a Cherry MX Blue version.

No branding :D

EDIT: Oh, and also the left alt seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:28:01 by WhipeeDip »

Offline TheDoc

« Reply #614 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:23:04 »
Mine arrived just now.

No branding, MX red, absolutely gorgous.

Will take a bit of time to get used to being such a smaller board, but so far, absolutely lovely :)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #615 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:34:06 »
Yer makin my Rosewill jealous  :))
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #616 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:39:33 »
Any word on those unbranded cases Carter? :D
Filco MJ2 TKL | Filco MJ2 TKL | Filco MJ2 TKL - Multicam | KUL ES-87

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #617 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:01:02 »
Those legends and especially media keys seriously remind me of keyboards from the 80s which had custom chunky graphics characters on them.  So retro :)

(Says a QFR owner who has already replaced most of the keycaps.)

Is this even necessary?

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #618 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:32:06 »
I've got the CM QuickFire Rapid with Black switches coming in from Amazon for Christmas.  We'll see if it has no labeling.  The ones with MX Blue from my local MicroCenter had labeling.

Offline xDezor

« Reply #619 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:57:53 »
I just got the brown version without labeling from amazon. Kinda liked the CM win key more though.

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #620 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:21:40 »
I just got the brown version without labeling from amazon. Kinda liked the CM win key more though.

Welcome to Geekhack!

If you ask nicely, someone here will probably give you some CM Win keys.

Is this even necessary?

Offline xDezor

Re: Re: Anyone else have a CM QuickFire Rapid without any labeling?
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:31:27 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

If you ask nicely, someone here will probably give you some CM Win keys.
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

I will have to keep that in mind. ^-^

Unfortunately, I won't have much time to play with it until the weekend. My roommate's won't be too supportive if I wake them up with my new present. >:D

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #622 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 02:57:42 »
Browns are not noisy, unless you bottom out (i.e. slam the key all the way down).  The switches actually activate about half way down, and with a bit of practice you can get used to just pressing the keys half way down.

Is this even necessary?

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 03:17:46 »
Browns are not noisy, unless you bottom out (i.e. slam the key all the way down).  The switches actually activate about half way down, and with a bit of practice you can get used to just pressing the keys half way down.

If you do though they are pretty noisy.  Almost as much so as Blues.  The Blacks seemed pretty quiet if you are bottoming out (which is why I am getting one with the Black switches.)  I figure I could use the model with the Black switches at school without too much of an issue (for my engineering classes.)

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Exalted Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #624 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 04:04:31 »
You can also get O-rings, which dampens the sound somewhat when bottoming out.

Is this even necessary?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Civil Servant Emeritus
« Reply #625 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 08:37:11 »
Blacks are less noisy since they have a firmer spring.  If you type with the same force no matter the switch type, you hit the bottom with less force when you are using a stiffer spring.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 12:10:25 »

I don't particularly want or need the CM Storm logo ones but I'm using the ones that say CoolerMaster. Which did you want?

Offline xDezor

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:21:43 »

I don't particularly want or need the CM Storm logo ones but I'm using the ones that say CoolerMaster. Which did you want?
I was hoping to get the key shown in this picture:

Offline FrostyD

« Reply #628 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:25:38 »
I've had my eye on this keyboard for a while but would really prefer not to get the version with logos.  Newegg has it for $52 and Amazon has it for $66.  From what I can tell it looks like Amazon may still have some old stock with their blue switches, but I haven't heard anything about Newegg.  Does anyone know if either has turned over their old inventory yet?  Or is there a way for me to contact them and ask, would they know?

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 11:29:10 »

I was hoping to get the key shown in this picture:

Show Image

Yep, those are the ones I'm not using. I'd gladly send you them if you're willing to pay postage to wherever you live? (I'm from the UK)