Author Topic: New table - the ultimate workspace that I've been dreaming of  (Read 2150 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
New table - the ultimate workspace that I've been dreaming of
« on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 14:24:10 »
Okay, not ULTIMATE.  There are plenty of examples at geekhack and elsewhere online that are far more desirable.  However, what I have now is exactly what I was looking for.  I ditched my regular old desk and replaced it with an obnoxiously large table.  I found that I had nowhere near enough room with my three monitor setup, and I wanted some project space.  What I have created is a two-seat setup.  The other seat can either be the wife's workstation, a place to setup my work laptop, or a project area.  I finally have space for the speakers, networking gear, and other junk that didn't really fit on a normal desk.  They just don't make desks that are DEEP enough to keep me from feeling crowded.

It's a Steelcase 8500 series conference table from a used office furniture supply store.  High pressure laminate over wood, tan vinyl bumper edge, and black metal T-legs.  8 foot long by 42 inches.  It has an off-white stone texture top.  Pure white would have been better, but when you're paying $300 for a table that lists at $1800, you can't be too picky.  Also I can beat this thing up and not have to worry about it.

Right now I am still trying to get the placements right.  When I've moved everything around and I'm happy with it, I'll organize the wires and clean it all up with cable wraps and blue lounge boxes.  So, ignore the mess for now.

pics...

Offline ra7c7er

Re: New table - the ultimate workspace that I've been dreaming of
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 21:56:34 »
Nice setup. Table looks nice to.

I could never justify spending that much on a table much less paying 1800 retail for it. Business furniture has such and incredible mark up.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: New table - the ultimate workspace that I've been dreaming of
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 06:33:00 »
At the used office furniture sellers that huge markup disappears.

After years of working on cheap-o desks at home... and years of working on proper commercial furniture at various offices, I can tell you that hardly anything is more important than a quality desk/table.  It's worth it.  Also $300 is a pittance for an 8 footer.