Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 unboxing  (Read 16041 times)

Offline m00nshake

Ducky Shine 2 unboxing
« on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 11:09:13 »
My Ducky Shine 2 arrived today. I ordered it Wednesday morning, and it arrived only two days afterwards, so fast shipping for Mechanicalkeyboards.com. I got one with green leds and red cherry mx. I plan to put my cc&g set on it to see how well it shines through, but I'm going to keep it as is for a few days like it came out of the box before switching keys (maybe).

Here's the way the box looks on all sides...

The guys over at Mechanicalkeyboards.com were nice enough to throw a YOTD keychain in...

Opening the box... there's the keyboard, a keyboard cover, a manual, a plastic key cap puller, and a few extra keys. I noticed that the box came with no ps2 adapter. Apparently, this one has full NKRO support over USB. It does not work through the PS2 port, I've already tried. I called Mechanicalkeyboards.com and let them know to update the description on their website.

And now that I've got it plugged in, well it looks really cool. My computer is green themed so it's nice to have an led lit keyboard to match everything. The led lights are bright! The pulsing mode is very cool. I've yet to try reactive mode and profiles. The manual has very little English so it's going to take a little time to figure it all out. So far it's really nice to type on. I can't really say I notice much of a difference between it and my Filco, but I'm no expert.

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline xenon_chris

Re: Ducky Shine 2 unboxing
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 11:17:35 »
Looks good! That's a nice looking green - doesn't look too piercing.
Ducky Dragon/Browns

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 11:21:45 »
It definitely feels sturdy. I don't have enough cc&g keys to put over the extra media keys over the numpad so I'll probably put the green on white Geekhack key, the white on green Geekhack key, and two 420 key caps to replace those.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline bmt22033

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 12:36:04 »
My Blue LED with MX Brown switches is out for delivery right now!  MK shipped these fast!  One thing that I didn't realize when I ordered the keyboard is that all the keys that have more than one character printed on them have the positions reversed from how they appear on most US keyboards.  It's kinda weird seeing the $ on the bottom of the 4 key but hopefully I'll get used to it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 13:55:53 »
Nice unboxing review, good job dude !

Is true they use MX Black spacebar (only spacebar) for the Cherry MX Red board on Ducky Shine 2?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 15:04:14 »
One thing that I didn't realize when I ordered the keyboard is that all the keys that have more than one character printed on them have the positions reversed from how they appear on most US keyboards.  It's kinda weird seeing the $ on the bottom of the 4 key but hopefully I'll get used to it.

They do this for backlighting since the LEDs are positioned on one side of the switch. I just wish they would have printed side-by-side like some other companies do now.

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: Ducky Shine 2 unboxing
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 15:06:24 »

Is true they use MX Black spacebar (only spacebar) for the Cherry MX Red board on Ducky Shine 2?

Not sure if it's black I've heard its white or clear, can't remember. When I switch out the keys on this bad boy, I'll let you know for sure. :)

Offline Internauta

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 15:50:08 »
Ordered mine yesterday, Blue LED with mx blue's, can't wait to get it :)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 17:49:35 »

As far as I remember, they only use different switches for blue (green) and brown (clear, iirc), I could be wrong though.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 19:20:18 »
Anybody know the answer? I'm not pulling the keys off of here for at least another week until I get used to all of the different options on the Function row.

Offline bmt22033

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 19:39:19 »
Does anybody know if there are (or will be) PBT key caps available for the Shine II?  I've been using a 9008 G2 with PBT for quite a while and now that my Shine 2 has arrived, I definitely prefer the feel of PBT over ABS.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:37:57 »
Really?  So basically it sounds like they make spacebar harder on almost all the switche types except black (cuz it's already hard).  Sighhhhhh why would they do that, almost make me not want to buy it just because of that.  I'd much prefer uniform force through out all the keys and no weird spacebar  :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:47:02 »
Does anybody know if there are (or will be) PBT key caps available for the Shine II?  I've been using a 9008 G2 with PBT for quite a while and now that my Shine 2 has arrived, I definitely prefer the feel of PBT over ABS.

It says there is an option of PBT in the manual or on the box (can't remember), but I'm not sure when or if it is available. The keyboards are new so even the guys at mechanicalkeyboards.com didn't know that it didn't have ps2 support.

Speaking of which, if anyone here owns the YOTD, did it come with a ps2 adapter?                                 

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:48:33 »
Really?  So basically it sounds like they make spacebar harder on almost all the switche types except black (cuz it's already hard).  Sighhhhhh why would they do that, almost make me not want to buy it just because of that.  I'd much prefer uniform force through out all the keys and no weird spacebar  :(

I'm typing on it and it doesn't really bother me. However, the spacebar is a tad squeaky. Does anyone know where I can get something to lube this so it doesn't squeak?

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 22:59:19 »
Goes nicely with the razer mouse.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 01:55:25 »
I'm typing on it and it doesn't really bother me. However, the spacebar is a tad squeaky. Does anyone know where I can get something to lube this so it doesn't squeak?

go to your local hardware store and get some white lithium grease, make sure it's compatible with plastics lol.

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: Ducky Shine 2 unboxing
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 04:50:27 »
Goes nicely with the razer mouse.

Thanks... Computer also has the green theme going...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 08:04:27 »
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm Nice replacement for the XARMOR I got rid of recently.

Thank God MK is out of Shine II Green/Blue Led, Brown MX.
I already clicked purchase on something else today.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 17:45:40 »
Interestingly enough, the marquee scrolling text mode only goes through the top function keys, back and forth. It doesn't go throughout the entire keyboard. Can anyone else with a Shine 2 confirm this?

Offline bmt22033

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:04:41 »
Interestingly enough, the marquee scrolling text mode only goes through the top function keys, back and forth. It doesn't go throughout the entire keyboard. Can anyone else with a Shine 2 confirm this?

That also seems to be the case with my blue LED, brown MX switch board.  I wasn't sure exactly what the manual meant by marquee scrolling "text mode" but it does indeed seem to be limited to the function keys.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:20:34 »
Yeah, the "text mode" thing kind of confused me too. I was thinking there was a way to change which row the marquee scrolls through, but I don't think that's the case, or if it is, I can't seem to get it to change. Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:29:30 »
On the space bar - I just checked a few co-workers' boards.  MX Brown boards (Shine 2 and YOTD) have Brown switches for the space bar.  The MX Blue boards (again, Shine 2 and YOTD) have Green switches for the space bar.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:47:25 »
On the space bar - I just checked a few co-workers' boards.  MX Brown boards (Shine 2 and YOTD) have Brown switches for the space bar.  The MX Blue boards (again, Shine 2 and YOTD) have Green switches for the space bar.

I wonder what the reds have... I'll know for sure when I change these keys out.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 02:32:39 »

LOL good thing they didn't put cherry clear on the MX Brown spacebar or something.  I think my friend suspect his MX Red Ducky has MX Black spacebar, if that is true that means MX Brown will be the only board I buy from Ducky then, I don't like different switch weight unless I'll be using a Topre variable or something which I shall find out one day :P

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 04:59:19 »
I'll find out for sure soon enough. Honestly if the space bar has a different switch I can't tell that it is different, the keyboard feels the same to me as my Filco with red switches. The space bar is a little squeaky however but I'll get that fixed as soon as I get to a hardware store.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 09:54:46 »
Couple of questions for your Shines

1- Does the LEDs stay ON when the computer is OFF?
2- Can you select how bright the LEDS shine? If yes does it keep its setting between reboots? (My Deck does but the XArmor doesn't)

Thanks.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 10:25:53 »
Yes for both questions, I've tested both. I think it's different than earlier models because it has onboard memory

Offline Hyde

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 11:19:36 »
2- Can you select how bright the LEDS shine? If yes does it keep its setting between reboots? (My Deck does but the XArmor doesn't)

Yeah Ducky Shine 1 doesn't have onboard memory, they implemented it in Ducky Shine 2 so it saves your brightness level settings.  As for staying on when the computer is off thing I'm not too sure, but I can imagine that would be annoying lol.  Though you can always turn off the USB power when computer is off setting from windows I think.

I'll find out for sure soon enough. Honestly if the space bar has a different switch I can't tell that it is different, the keyboard feels the same to me as my Filco with red switches. The space bar is a little squeaky however but I'll get that fixed as soon as I get to a hardware store.

So it's not too noticeable eh?  That's not too bad I'll keep that in mind.  Because I am currently using a Filco with MX Red now.  I kind of want a backlit board but I don't know how much of a difference it will be going to a board with different spacebar switch + cherry stabilizers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 11:22:33 by Hyde »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 12:27:58 »
Yes for both questions, I've tested both. I think it's different than earlier models because it has onboard memory

Thanks... I'll probably go for a Shine 2 brown MX with either green or blue led as soon as they have stock.

I was wondering what the "M Edition" was all about...
By reading the details I found out that they have the (M)echanical Logon on the spacebar.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline bmt22033

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 15:13:59 »
Couple of questions for your Shines

For what it's worth, the LEDs on my Shine II do NOT stay on when I turn my computer off.

Also, re: the "M Edition" at mechanicalkeyboards.com, they told me that Ducky decided not to mass produce a white LED version and that the "M Edition" with white LEDs was made just for mechanicalkeyboards.com, hence the "M" on the spacebar.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 15:19:30 »
Oops I read question 1 wrong. The led lights turn off when the computer is shut off. However, it comes back on automatically when you turn the computer back and to the setting it was on before shut down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 17:25:02 »
I would be interested in seeing how well the backlighting shines through the CCnG.

Looks nice, and very similar to the Ducky Shine 1 with green backlighting I am using right now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 19:17:45 »
rowdy, when I get the cc&g caps on this board I'll update this thread with more pics. I'm going to have to improvise for the extra shortcut keys above the numpad. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:44:13 »
Excellent!  That will give me an idea whether it is worth getting some different key caps for my Shine, or just getting another keyboard first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 11:04:47 »
I can't seem to have enough keyboards. Now if only I were an octopus with fingers, this might actually make sense to most people outside of this forum.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 11:08:04 »
I can't seem to have enough keyboards.

Think that's an opinion shared by many at GH.  I know I can't seem to stop myself.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Dajm

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 14:34:07 »
Speaking of which, if anyone here owns the YOTD, did it come with a ps2 adapter?                                 

The YOTD does not come with a PS2 adapter.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:06:07 »
Update: I've pulled all the caps off my Ducky Shine 2. I found that the space bar is a red cherry mx just like the rest of the board. I've swapped out all of the keys with my ccng set and a couple of 420 key caps, but I am unable to fully test how well the leds shine through because I'm at work and its very bright in here. I'll update this thread tonight when I get a chance to test with low lighting.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:13:34 »
With ccng...

Offline Internauta

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 15:43:37 »
Dang, that ccng will look great with the green LED's!

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 20:48:22 »
Okay I think it looks pretty good. The lights do shine through the keys themselves a bit but the green underglow from the leds look the best with the ccng key set on this board. Here are some pics... :)

Overall... I think the pictures don't do it justice. I'm just using my camera phone to take these pictures. It looks a lot better in person. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:00:45 »
That looks sweet :)

The green backlighting really sets off the CCnG keys.

I put a red alert modifier set on my Ducky Shine with red backlighting, but the key legends are barely legible.  How are yours?

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:16:12 »
The glow seems to go through some of the legends but they're definitely readable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:19:29 »
Oh, and are those pics with the backlighting on low, medium or high?  Mine seems to be optimal on the second lowest setting - much brighter than that and the non-RA keys are too bright.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:46:39 »
That's on the highest setting. Haven't tried it on the other settings, but I will. :)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:52:24 »
Update: After a couple of days I decided I didn't really like the glow through the ccng set. The glowing was uneven, not just because of the different colors but the led lights would make some of the legends illegible. So I swapped out to my white PBT set. I like this one much better.

Offline _js_

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:15:48 »
Update: After a couple of days I decided I didn't really like the glow through the ccng set. The glowing was uneven, not just because of the different colors but the led lights would make some of the legends illegible. So I swapped out to my white PBT set. I like this one much better.

Show Image

OK.  That is seriously cool!  And thanks for the thread as a whole.
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II