Author Topic: keyboard mod from 2 number keypads  (Read 7346 times)

Offline intellipanda

keyboard mod from 2 number keypads
« on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:55:02 »
hi all,
just wanted to share my experience on making my own keyboard.  I wanted something similar to  the humble hacker keyboard, but didn't want to spend the same amount as he did.  So the only way for me to get a matrix layout was to look at some number pads.  I chose the goldtouch numpad because it had cherry mx keys and had an extra row. 

I was able to buy 3 of them from amazon, used at $20 each (used 2 for my build).  I cut and glued two of these together to form a pretty compact matrix layout keyboard.  After figuring out the matrix layout, i removed the original chip and wired the different groups to a teensy++.  Then after configuring the humble hackers firmware for my layout, the keyboard was functioning sucessfully.  finishing touches like painting the interior red and put on a new set of wasd keycaps.  The key caps for cherry mx are slightly directional but i was able to turn them sideways, it a bit tight in wrong orientation but not a real issue. 

Ideally i would have liked a number row but i was willing to make this concession.  right now the keyboard is working well, there is almost no movement of my hands to reach any key.  Since i designed the layout myself i do remember it, but just doesn't come quickly yet.

here is the key layout i am using:

default:
escqwertyuiopbs
tabasdfghjkl;ent
l_shftzxcvbnm,./r_shft
l_ctrll_altfn2fn1spacewin'r_ctrl
Fn1:
`1234567890bs
tabF1F2F3F4F5(+)456-ent
l_shftF6F7F8F9F10(*)123/=
l_ctrll_altfn2fn10.,esc
Fn2:
~!@#$%^&*()esc
tabF11F13inserthomep_upleftdownupright"'
l_shftF12emaildelendp_down[]{}\=
l_ctrll_altfn2fn1spacewin|_

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2012, 22:12:04 by intellipanda »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: keyboard mod from 2 number keypads
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:58:09 »
Woah! Nice project! Welcome to GH!

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 23:02:50 »
Very nice project sir...hope to see a how to soon O0
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 00:07:16 »
Whoa.  Hard core, dude.  Doesn't get much more compact than that!  I like how the space bar is on the right hand.  I use my right thumb, too.  Although, not ALL the time.

Edit: By the way, how does the joining work?  Does it flex?  Did you make a plate?
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2012, 00:10:00 by metalliqaz »

Offline intellipanda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 01:47:25 »
yea i only use the space bar on my right hand.  Left thumb for meta keys.  I crazy glued the metal frames (the frames won't take any solder) and soldered a small piece of pcb connecting two ground spots that i rubbed off.  the combination of that makes it pretty sturdy. 

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 03:03:45 »
Wow, that's awesome! I'd considered doing that when I saw the mini split keyboard made out of the larger tipro numberpads, but that is great!

At $15, I might buy some, and run the matrix over on a snake (looks like only 12 wires+1 extra), just to get a feel for split keyboards

Why did you jumper the grounds with a PCB piece instead of a wire?

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 04:51:43 »
Wow! Nice project and amazing result. It looks nice and is super minimalistic — awesome. :)

Offline intellipanda

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 13:27:24 »
thanks.

I jumped the ground with pcb to make it more rigid - since the metal frame was only glued, a rigid connection at the pcb plates will make it much stronger.  I will post a more detailed build soon.  it's critical to find a 22 key (or more - they are usually 19) numpad, i think this is the absolute minimum. 

Offline intellipanda

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 00:38:16 »
here are the details of the build
it seems i can't attach a pdf, so here's the link to the google doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MgPTxi_431I0GDgeFFj3Ubp_6zC7pNP_dJcPvqxR3UE/edit