Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141418 times)

Offline osi

Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #850 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 06:52:38 »
Haven't had a smartphone for almost a year now, switched back to a dumbphone. And much to my surprise, it's actually fairly smart, having most of the same features as any smartphone, just watered down a bit (web browsing, GPS, games/apps, etc.)

And not to mention the superb battery life - can make it 4 days without charging it.

Looked into doing this myself last year. Had it all planned out but then Google killed or said it was going to retire its SMS search. Killed the dream :(

Offline Raddam

« Reply #851 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 11:39:12 »
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. It's a very good phone. Personally I hate Iphones. They aren't customizable enough for me. I can't wait for the Samsung note 4 or nexus 6. I really want to get a phablet. the s4 is surprisingly too small for me  :)).

Can it run Windows 2000?

I'm not sure I never tried haha :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #852 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 11:52:08 »
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. It's a very good phone. Personally I hate Iphones. They aren't customizable enough for me. I can't wait for the Samsung note 4 or nexus 6. I really want to get a phablet. the s4 is surprisingly too small for me  :)).

Can it run Windows 2000?

Can anything run Windows 2000?

Offline wuqe

« Reply #853 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 12:34:07 »
I want to buy a Galaxy S4 Mini, I know it is not the latest flagship with all the bells and whistles, but I just want a good android phone at a decent price, with a screen that does not make me feel I am speaking on my tablet.

Anyone with first hand experience with the mini? I have read many reviews already, pretty much all of them positive, but I would get some direct user feedback instead.

Thanks in advance  for any feedback.

No firsthand experience here, but was leaning this way, too. I discovered that it has no USB OTG, which was surprising to me. I am looking at the Xperia M, because it is nice and small, but the specs are a little lower, and the screen isn't AMOLED. Also considering the Moto G, but it's a little bulky compared to the S4 mini.  Overall, I think S4 mini is the most future-proof, but the price tag is also higher than those alternatives.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 12:37:31 by wuqe »

Offline wuqe

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 12:36:49 »
Edit: double-post, whoops!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #855 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:11:56 »

Can it run Windows 2000?

Can anything run Windows 2000?

My computer can.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #856 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:21:01 »
Okay. S3 died today. Need new phone with the quickness.

LG G3? Galaxy S5?

Help me, nerds!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #857 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 15:35:40 »
Okay. S3 died today. Need new phone with the quickness.

LG G3? Galaxy S5?

Help me, nerds!

You can't go wrong with either.  If you hate Touchwiz more than LG's ?Qtouch, then get the G3.  Both are beasts.  From what I've read Samsung has the best display on the market with the S5.  Personally, I love AMOLED screens more than LCD's.  The water resistance of the S5 is nice.  I like the removable battery, and some of the features of the S5 are cool, although it bloats the OS.  If I had a choice, I may lean towards the S5.

I had an S3, but the USB port died.  I was able to get a replacement, but sold it shortly afterwards.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 15:38:10 »
I have a Nexus 5 as my primary.  I like it, but don't love it.  I'm debating about selling it.  I'll see what the Moto X 2 will be like.  The S5, rumored S5 metal body and upcoming Note 4 are phones I may be considering.

I also have a Lumia 820 that I use as a media player that is awesome.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #859 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:28:08 »
I have a Nexus 5 as my primary.  I like it, but don't love it.  I'm debating about selling it.  I'll see what the Moto X 2 will be like.  The S5, rumored S5 metal body and upcoming Note 4 are phones I may be considering.

I also have the nexus 5 and all i really need is better battery life for me to be in love

Poker II

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #860 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:35:05 »
I love my Nexus 5. It helps my commute by bike/train/bus a lot.

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #861 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:40:19 »
Galaxy S4; I got it a full week and half before official US release.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #862 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 20:00:14 »
Nexus 4 with Hellscore kernel running L preview >.>

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #863 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 21:57:08 »

I also have the nexus 5 and all i really need is better battery life for me to be in love

Maybe with the upcoming Android L update, the battery life will improve.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #864 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:04:43 »
Samsung Rugby -> Motorola Karma -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 5C
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #865 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:24:49 »
i only have the iPhone 4s, i don't understand the trend towards bigger phones that barey fit in your pocket. it's worrying.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #866 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:20:34 »
I have to use a Samsung Galaxy music - It's so tiny that it's almost impossible to use. My hand is 20cm long and my phone is roughly 10cm long. It has a 7.6cm Screen!!! It's soooo small.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #867 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:51:30 »
Got my LG G3 today but I only have a regular sim-card so waiting for my micro-sim :/
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #868 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 18:56:09 »
Got my LG G3 today but I only have a regular sim-card so waiting for my micro-sim :/
You could have just cut it to fit.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline caesar

« Reply #869 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 19:04:29 »
Blackphone 6S with windows 98 on it

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #870 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 22:52:55 »

Either you can download some templates and cut it yourself.  Otherwise, there are some cheap sim card cutters you can buy online.  Some cell phone stores may cut it for you free.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #871 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:59:41 »

How are you liking it so far, it looks like an amazing phone

Poker II

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #872 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 13:56:49 »

How are you liking it so far, it looks like an amazing phone

It IS amazing! :D
There is a lot of options to customise the phone as you like, and I love the TV-remote since my real remote stopped working not long ago.
The screen is the best thing about it though; really big but yet very clear.
Blows my 4-5 year old HTC Sensation out of the water atleast hehe.
Not really that updated when it comes to the newest and best phones out there.
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #873 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 14:22:31 »
i only have the iPhone 4s, i don't understand the trend towards bigger phones that barey fit in your pocket. it's worrying.

I kinda agree with this. While I have an iPhone 4S (work cell), I feel that its screen is just too small for a smartphone. On the other hand, the new OnePlus One I have just feels too damn big. It's very hard to use the phone one-handed. My Nexus 4 seems about the perfect balance of size and readable screen.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #874 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 11:23:28 »
O_o

* davkol wants something smaller than 3.5".

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:41:16 »
I have a Nexus 5 and I like it a lot. The battery life is pretty average, but I still think overall that it's pretty darn good.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #876 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 19:55:43 »
O_o

I have a phone with a 3" Screen. Samsung Galaxy music.
What you may or may not have considered is the typing experience on a phone with such a small touchscreen - Barely usable.
But, I still love the dual front speakers.

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #877 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:50:41 »
Iphone 5s. It works.

Can't wait until they bring out the iPhone 6 and it doesn't need a case.

Offline rush340

« Reply #878 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:54:37 »
Nexus 4.  Battery life and camera are average, but other than that it runs so smoothly and does everything I need.  I just have to be sure not to drop it with that glass back cover.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #879 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 09:47:19 »

I kinda agree with this. While I have an iPhone 4S (work cell), I feel that its screen is just too small for a smartphone. On the other hand, the new OnePlus One I have just feels too damn big. It's very hard to use the phone one-handed. My Nexus 4 seems about the perfect balance of size and readable screen.

Have you ever held a Moto X?  Pretty much the perfect size for the average hand.
Russ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #880 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 10:07:15 »
O_o

What you may or may not have considered is the typing experience on a phone with such a small touchscreen - Barely usable.
Typing on touch screens sucks, period.

It bothers me that there's no actual replacement for Xperia Mini w/ legacyXperia. Mine has failed to wake up from suspend several times recently, and I'm afraid it might die soon.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #881 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 13:35:39 »
O_o

It bothers me that there's no actual replacement for Xperia Mini w/ legacyXperia. Mine has failed to wake up from suspend several times recently, and I'm afraid it might die soon.
A fairly large phone with a slide out physical qwerty keyboard would be great - maybe Omron switches?

Offline Altis

« Reply #882 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:33:20 »
O_o

A fairly large phone with a slide out physical qwerty keyboard would be great - maybe Omron switches?

I've had the slide-out keyboard on two phones, and a Bold 9900. The slide-out ones were so awkwardly shaped... too wide and buttons are small.

I couldn't go back to a physical keyboard on a phone at this point.

I am looking to replace my iPhone 4S with something different soon, as iOS 7/8 are not really to my taste (and the delays are still painful, although better than 7.0).

I'd like to give Windows phone 8.1 a try but they only sell the 1020 up here in Canada... go figure. Nokia 930 looks pretty cool, as does the new HTC One W8 Windows - although this one has a pretty awful camera and no antennas that work in Canada.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #883 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:23:25 »
O_o

I've had the slide-out keyboard on two phones, and a Bold 9900. The slide-out ones were so awkwardly shaped... too wide and buttons are small.

I couldn't go back to a physical keyboard on a phone at this point.

I am looking to replace my iPhone 4S with something different soon, as iOS 7/8 are not really to my taste (and the delays are still painful, although better than 7.0).

I'd like to give Windows phone 8.1 a try but they only sell the 1020 up here in Canada... go figure. Nokia 930 looks pretty cool, as does the new HTC One W8 Windows - although this one has a pretty awful camera and no antennas that work in Canada.
Before I had the Samsung, I had the BlackBerry Curve 9300. I actually quite like to typing experience on that( although the only other experience of typing was rubber dome, or the wii onscreen keyboard which is possibly the worst keyboard I've had to use to this date.) and would possibly consider getting a blackberry again just for the typing.

Offline Altis

« Reply #884 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 10:59:25 »
Before I had the Samsung, I had the BlackBerry Curve 9300. I actually quite like to typing experience on that( although the only other experience of typing was rubber dome, or the wii onscreen keyboard which is possibly the worst keyboard I've had to use to this date.) and would possibly consider getting a blackberry again just for the typing.

It suppose it depends on how much typing on the phone you do, but I found it to be much slower and less accurate than an on-screen keyboard. For me, this came down to auto-correct, which despite it's faults really does a good job of keeping you on track if you type out very quickly, as well as the physical force needed to actuate the blackberry keys. I also don't think it's worth losing the screen real estate for a keyboard, and the fatigue on my thumbs became noticeable.

I do remember a Blackberry TV commercial a few years ago that showed this woman who apparently sent a thousand emails a day from her phone, stating "try doing that on a touchscreen". It made me think, there are only about 16 waking hours in a day... 1000 emails would be just over one per minute.  :eek: What she needs is a computer. //offtopic
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #885 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 11:41:07 »
Has anyone owned and done a good real reliable side-by-side comparison between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Avant?

The Avant looks more modern but the screen specs look significantly better on the S3.

I am thinking about changing service providers and I don't care, for myself, but I don't want my teenage kids to feel like they got downgraded.

Please don't de-rail the question by talking about other phones. Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #886 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:40:58 »

It suppose it depends on how much typing on the phone you do, but I found it to be much slower and less accurate than an on-screen keyboard. For me, this came down to auto-correct, which despite it's faults really does a good job of keeping you on track if you type out very quickly, as well as the physical force needed to actuate the blackberry keys. I also don't think it's worth losing the screen real estate for a keyboard, and the fatigue on my thumbs became noticeable.

I do remember a Blackberry TV commercial a few years ago that showed this woman who apparently sent a thousand emails a day from her phone, stating "try doing that on a touchscreen". It made me think, there are only about 16 waking hours in a day... 1000 emails would be just over one per minute.  :o What she needs is a computer. //offtopic
Yeah!
I heard that 74% of statistics are made up.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #887 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:58:12 »
Galaxy Note 3 here. I had a Nokia 1520 that was the biggest POS ever. I went through FOUR 1520's in 5 months, I had to take the first phone back on day one for bricking.

I love the Note 3, this is the second 'Note' Ive had. Started off with the Note 1 about 3 years ago, "upgraded" to a Nokia 1520 in January of this year and after going through numerous nokias and b*tching with AT&T they finally exchanged it for the Note3

Note 3 > ALL

Offline divito

« Reply #888 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 13:42:37 »
I responded long ago, but I have a Q10. I will die before I give up my keyboard, the hub and peek functionality of BB10.

That being said, the girlfriend has an iPhone 4S and I've finally convinced her to get a new phone. Ultimately I think I've convinced her to grab a Galaxy s5, so we'll have to see how that goes once she gets back from her trip.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #889 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 15:15:34 »
Galaxy Note 3 here. I had a Nokia 1520 that was the biggest POS ever. I went through FOUR 1520's in 5 months, I had to take the first phone back on day one for bricking.

I love the Note 3, this is the second 'Note' Ive had. Started off with the Note 1 about 3 years ago, "upgraded" to a Nokia 1520 in January of this year and after going through numerous nokias and b*tching with AT&T they finally exchanged it for the Note3

Note 3 > ALL
couldnt agree more, ever since I got my Note 2 I couldnt bring myself to purchase any other phones. I currently have Note 3 and now I'm just patiently waiting for Note 4  ;D

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #890 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 15:52:10 »

Note 3 > ALL
couldnt agree more, ever since I got my Note 2 I couldnt bring myself to purchase any other phones. I currently have Note 3 and now I'm just patiently waiting for Note 4  ;D

Wouldn't mind having an N4 but I just got my N3 about 2 months ago

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #891 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:09:35 »

Note 3 > ALL

Wouldn't mind having an N4 but I just got my N3 about 2 months ago
I had my Note 3 from day one so its about time for me to switch to a new phone (Note 4)

Offline RED-404

« Reply #892 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:56:15 »
1939 Western Electric Model 302 It smarts when I hit you with it.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #893 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 19:42:29 »
HTC Wildfire --> HTC Sensation (stock rom and CM11)--> Nexus 5 (Red color). Loving the stock android, never going back  to anything else. Only switched to Nova Launcher because I like more options for my launcher.

Offline iri

« Reply #894 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 03:59:01 »
can't wait for apple to release a bigger iphone so i can stop using this ****ty 5.8" samsung.

small screens just aren't for my eyes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #895 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 04:18:16 »
can't wait for apple to release a bigger iphone so i can stop using this ****ty 5.8" samsung.

small screens just aren't for my eyes.

Yeah. My Samsung is broken, but I can't go much smaller in screen size. May actually wait on the bigger iphone rumored to be coming.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #896 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:04:47 »
*laughs at small phone users as he holds his Nokia Lumia 1520*
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #897 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:13:03 »

I had one, it was the biggest POS ever. Went through nearly 1 a month for 6 months, the first one died on day ONE not even 2 hours after I got it

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #898 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:27:03 »

I had one, it was the biggest POS ever. Went through nearly 1 a month for 6 months, the first one died on day ONE not even 2 hours after I got it

I'm sorry you had so many issues with yours. I have owned two since May (and that's only because I broke the screen on one... that's another story entirely, but suffice it to say that Asurion (the insurance company that most carriers use) is about as worthless as teats on a boar), and I haven't had a single problem. In fact, mine's been rock solid the entire time. Now it's even better with the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #899 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:58:38 »

I do remember a Blackberry TV commercial a few years ago that showed this woman who apparently sent a thousand emails a day from her phone, stating "try doing that on a touchscreen". It made me think, there are only about 16 waking hours in a day... 1000 emails would be just over one per minute.  :o What she needs is a computer. //offtopic
Yeah!
I heard that 74% of statistics are made up.
It's 76%. Gawd, get it right. :P