Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141090 times)

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #950 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:26:51 »
Found a good Lumia 1020 on ebay a while ago, best photo shooting imo :))

looking for  Sony or IP5 if they are at a good price :D
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #951 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 22:00:00 »
Changed my mind yet again. Got a Droid Maxx... Besides being limited to only 16gb of storage, I couldn't be happier.

I cancelled the order on the iPhone 6 because I most definitely would have destroyed it, after hearing all the reports of iPhone 6 bending.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #952 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 14:21:51 »
Z3 Compact under 400 eur from Amazon.it
twice cheaper than iPhone 6
an heavy and huge battery life

Show Image

You might get even more with one of those Stamina modes (standard or Ultra), Sony claim you could even use for 4/5 days easily without charging it if you use the hardest stamina mode (Ultra)

Best phone ever  ;D

I am interested in getting one of these if they ever come for my carrier
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #953 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:12:52 »
I have one of my buyer invites for the OnePlus One 64 GB Sandstone Black Edition left, remaining time is one day. Remember that you will have only one day to buy the phone (300$ plus ~30$ shipping) after you accept the invite, after that time your invite will be gone.
OnePlus is available in the following countries and areas at this moment:
  • United States
  • Sweden
  • Denmark
  • Netherlands
  • United Kingdom
  • Spain
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Finland
  • Belgium
  • Austria
  • Canada
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Portugal

First to PM me gets it, please make sure to be able to buy the phone immediately, it would be a shame to let the invite rot to pieces.

Best regards
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:16:20 by heissler »
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #954 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 22:11:12 »
S3 because it is not expensive anymore. Awesome phone though. :cool: Maybe CyanogenMod would do a lot of it. I put it in my previous S2 and OMG it was awesome ROM. :eek:

Offline dimmu

« Reply #955 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 03:16:53 »
Oneplus One with a bamboo swapstyle back cover. love the phone, the OS and the community. it is not a perfect phone and that is what i enjoy about it.

Offline MidnightXZ

« Reply #956 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 03:31:59 »
Galaxy Note 3 running CyanogenMod 11 snapshots. Picked up note 3 for cheapish a month ago.
Home: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Brown) + Leopold FC210TP + Logi G502//MJ2 needs a Pegasus Hoof controller
OTG with laptop: Poker II (MX Brown) + Logi Anywhere MX//soon, waits for Massdrop
Rotation: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown, Kitten Paw Controller) | CM Quickfire Rapid (MX Red, Frosty Flake v2 Controller)
Others: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (MX Red)
Old boards: CM Storm Quickfire XT (MX Brown) [gave away] | CM Storm Trigger (MX Red) [sold]

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #957 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 01:20:28 »
Using Sony xperia z1 right now.  Best phone I have used so far!  Will probably switch to z3x or z4 once they release

Offline genkidama

« Reply #958 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:12:15 »
I'm using a Galaxy S3 at the moment and thinking about the OnePlus One. Care to share thoughts and impressions on that cell? :-) Thanks
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #959 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:51:25 »
OnePlus One user here! Currently the best phone with cheap price tag I ever had

Offline genkidama

« Reply #960 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:55:08 »
Nice :)
How's the handiness with the phone? It's rather big and it has a rather big bezel which makes it a little bit more bigger. I have normal hands I'd say, you think I would have problems with that? Because it's quite difficult to try it out here  :cool:
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #961 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:56:49 »
I'm using a Galaxy S3 at the moment and thinking about the OnePlus One. Care to share thoughts and impressions on that cell? :-) Thanks
OPO is a great phone if you don't want to buy a contract. Its not as fancy as the top of the line phones, but it does everything you need for a great price.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #962 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 16:26:00 »
Finally got a new phone, the HTC One M8.  Huge upgrade from my POS smartphone I had for 6 years.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #963 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:15:34 »
Finally got a new phone, the HTC One M8.  Huge upgrade from my POS smartphone I had for 6 years.

Isn't that the one with the Windows OS? I wish they would release it with Windows in the UK...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #964 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:16:17 »
Nope, Android

Offline uns211

« Reply #965 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:19:05 »
LG G3 with ParanoidAndroid (4.4.4). There are 5.0 builds, but I need Xposed.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #966 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:51:05 »

Isn't that the one with the Windows OS? I wish they would release it with Windows in the UK...

Two versions; one with android, one with windows.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #967 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 21:43:52 »
I have an iPhone 5S and a Nexus 5 as backup. Thinking of buying Passport though. Anyone has it and can share their opinion? I like the design but the physical keyboard intimidates me a bit since I'm used to typing on glass and the Z10/Z30 were unbeatable at that.   

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #968 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:14:06 »

The One M8 does have a windows phone variant, however it was originally made with android.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline dimmu

« Reply #969 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 01:39:02 »

even if you ignore the cheap price tag, OPO is still pretty much top of line. it has better specs and faster than an s5 (higher ram, same processor) (partly thanks to the zero bloatware, albeit buggy cm11s compared to the bloatware infested touchwiz), has better build quality than an s5 (it does not feel like a cheap plastic at all and the sandstone back has a really unique texture.). that said, the phone is far from perfect, the OS though extremely customizeable is still glitchy at times, the phone lacks optical image stabilizer for the camera, the vibrating mechanism is loud and weak, customer support is pretty much non existent since they are still just a startup company, so you will have to depend on the forums to help out with your issues and if it's a hardware issue you are pretty much screwed.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #970 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 14:49:01 »
Ah ok. I like the look of the HTC one, but I think in the new year I'm going to buy one of the Lumia phones. Might wait a little while longer and see if they release an even newer model that doesn't cost £400...

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #971 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 22:26:14 »
Nice :)
How's the handiness with the phone? It's rather big and it has a rather big bezel which makes it a little bit more bigger. I have normal hands I'd say, you think I would have problems with that? Because it's quite difficult to try it out here  :cool:
Previously I was using galaxy nexus and I would say that 4.7 inch is probably the best size for my hand. Now I has been using opo and still trying to get used to the size. Well, good for people who prefer to type message using two thumbs. Kinda hard to type message using one thumb :/.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #972 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 22:59:23 »
Was using a Note 3, but my friend wanted it so that he can use Samsung's Sideview with his Tab S 10.5, he'd swapped his phone with my Note 3 and topped it with a 7" Lenovo tablet. Oh yeah, I traded my Note 3 for his LG G Pro 2....

Offline meztek

• Keyboards! Keyboards everywhere!
« Reply #973 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 23:25:55 »
I've been using a BlackBerry for my entire life minus a few days when I used an Android phone....

BlackBerry 7290 -> 8700g -> 8300 -> 8330 -> 9700 -> Samsung Galaxy Note II (I lasted three days :P) -> 9900. 

My current phone is my Bold touch.  I'm very happy with it, it is absolutely a dream to type on.  After my attempt at using an Android phone I stopped looking into new phones because I like my phone as it is.  Though I have considered a BlackBerry torch 9800 (the one with the slide out keyboard).  No 4G makes me a little uneasy though, I don't know if I'm willing to give up my bold's 4G LTE. 

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #974 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 15:30:54 »
Anybody running a Lumia 830? I might buy one tonight...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #975 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 22:27:00 »
Made the leap. Bought one tonight. I shall provide feedback on Friday.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #976 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:46:14 »
Playing around with a Moto G

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #977 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:47:25 »
Still using a Nexus 4. Probably going to upgrade soon though, battery life is starting to get pretty poor.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #978 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:05:35 »

My primary phone is a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition.  I have a Lumia 820 that I used as a daily driver in between my Nexus 5 and Moto X.  There are a lot of things that I like about the Windows Platform more than Android.  The 820 is still a great phone more than 2 years after release. 

I don't have any personal experience with the 830, but I've read many reviews praising the camera and improved battery life.  The AMOLED screen of the 830 is very good.  The Glance feature (should be on the 830) is fantastic.  In many ways, better than the Active Display (or ?Actiive Notifications) on the Moto.  The physical camera button is a great feature. Removable battery and micro SD support to 128 GB are excellent to have.  WP8.1 is very smooth.  I'm not an app heavy person, but some people have complained about the app selection and quality of the WP apps.  Windows 10 should be coming out in the next year.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #979 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:08:30 »

My primary phone is a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition. 

How you finding it? That is pretty much the only phone that ticks all my boxes right now, will need to get one imported though so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #980 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:53:08 »

My primary phone is a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition.  I have a Lumia 820 that I used as a daily driver in between my Nexus 5 and Moto X.  There are a lot of things that I like about the Windows Platform more than Android.  The 820 is still a great phone more than 2 years after release. 

I don't have any personal experience with the 830, but I've read many reviews praising the camera and improved battery life.  The AMOLED screen of the 830 is very good.  The Glance feature (should be on the 830) is fantastic.  In many ways, better than the Active Display (or ?Actiive Notifications) on the Moto.  The physical camera button is a great feature. Removable battery and micro SD support to 128 GB are excellent to have.  WP8.1 is very smooth.  I'm not an app heavy person, but some people have complained about the app selection and quality of the WP apps.  Windows 10 should be coming out in the next year.

Thank you for this. That's a cool write up that helps me justify the £270 leaving my account :P What is the Glance feature?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #981 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:57:22 »
Right now I am using a Kata M2, a phablet running android 4.4.2, so far really pleased with it, got it for $170 CAD off contract.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #982 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:01:59 »

My primary phone is a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition. 

How you finding it? That is pretty much the only phone that ticks all my boxes right now, will need to get one imported though so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

So far, it's my favorite of all the phones that I have owned.  I looked at the specs and features of the LG G3, and that was another phone that I liked.  I wish the Moto X had a removable and bigger battery, SD card, IR blaster, wireless charging capability, and perhaps a larger screen, it would be about perfect.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #983 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:04:42 »

Thank you for this. That's a cool write up that helps me justify the £270 leaving my account :P What is the Glance feature?

It's a feature where notifications will light up if you pull the phone out of your pocket, or wave your hand over the phone without depressing the power button (peek mode).  There are settings to have it constantly on.  I have mine set on my wireless charger where Glance is on continuously.  At night, I can take a quick "glance" at the phone while it's charging and see what notifications I have.  I like the email notifications of WP8.1 because I can set it so that I can tell how many in each of my different email accounts I have, rather than the sum of all messages.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #984 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:31:01 »
It's a feature where notifications will light up if you pull the phone out of your pocket, or wave your hand over the phone without depressing the power button (peek mode).  There are settings to have it constantly on.  I have mine set on my wireless charger where Glance is on continuously.  At night, I can take a quick "glance" at the phone while it's charging and see what notifications I have.  I like the email notifications of WP8.1 because I can set it so that I can tell how many in each of my different email accounts I have, rather than the sum of all messages.

Wow. That sounds really awesome. I shall have a play with that tomorrow when I get it :D Are there a load of customisation options?

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #985 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:59:26 »

Wow. That sounds really awesome. I shall have a play with that tomorrow when I get it :D Are there a load of customisation options?

You can customize a reasonable amount.  Instead of icons, there are tiles, similar to widgets.  They be arranged however you like on your start screen.  It's easy to put custom ringtones on WP8.1.  Wallpapers/lock screen are pretty easy, just like Android.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #986 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:04:27 »
Galaxy S4
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #987 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:20:49 »

You can customize a reasonable amount.  Instead of icons, there are tiles, similar to widgets.  They be arranged however you like on your start screen.  It's easy to put custom ringtones on WP8.1.  Wallpapers/lock screen are pretty easy, just like Android.

Additionally, the tiles can be set to two or three sizes (depending on the app associated with the tile... most do all three sizes, but certain ones like Amazon or Newegg only do two). Also, you can set the tiles to a range of colors or have them be transparent and show a wallpaper behind them. I actually posted a screenshot of my start screen here on GH. I'll have to see if I can find it for you, katushkin.

EDIT: Here we go...

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:36:23 by The Mad Professor »
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #988 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:42:42 »

I have heard a little about the home screen customisation, but I was just wondering specifically about the glance feature. :)

Additionally, the tiles can be set to two or three sizes (depending on the app associated with the tile... most do all three sizes, but certain ones like Amazon or Newegg only do two). Also, you can set the tiles to a range of colors or have them be transparent and show a wallpaper behind them. I actually posted a screenshot of my start screen here on GH. I'll have to see if I can find it for you, katushkin.

More
Show Image

Thanks for a some more explanation :) That looks awesome, I can't wait to mess around with it :P

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #989 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:01:26 »

I have heard a little about the home screen customisation, but I was just wondering specifically about the glance feature. :)

With the Glance feature, you can set how long it's on when you activate it. You can set it to "Off" (Glance deactivated), "Peek" (Glance turns off after 30 seconds), "Interval" (Glance turns off after 15 minutes), or "Always On" (self explanatory).

When active, you have four content settings to choose from: Date, Detailed Status Notification, Quick Status Notification (each of which can be set to "On" or "Off"), and Background Photo (lets you choose just a black background with white text or a color background).

It also has a Night Mode Exception feature that lets you change the text color to red, green, or blue, or it can also just deactivate the glance screen entirely. As hinted, it's good for night time viewing so you don't accidentally blind yourself with white light from the text. Also, there is an "Off" setting which leaves the Glance screen as is.

More
Show Image

Thanks for a some more explanation :) That looks awesome, I can't wait to mess around with it :p

Well, have fun with it! Go buck wild!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:03:57 by The Mad Professor »
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #990 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:45:50 »
I really like it so far :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #991 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:43:00 »
Got my moto x going finally.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #992 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:11:47 »
Russ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #993 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:12:37 »

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #994 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 12:58:37 »
Show Image

That's a nice Moto X.  I'm liking mine.  What is "Groot"?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #995 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:02:31 »

Offline iri

« Reply #996 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 06:50:30 »
bought a galaxy s4 LTE recently. 5" screen seems too small after my 5.8" galaxy mega, but i like how it works. tried cm12 on it and liked, but then removed it because, well, i couldn't make calls, the supplied kernel had buggy radio module drivers.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sissy

« Reply #997 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 19:54:26 »
I've had a Note2 for almost 2 years now, Not really sure if I should bother upgrading or just waiting it out till it dies

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #998 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 22:47:18 »
Just traded my 5S in for a 6+. Holy crap these 5.5" phones are almost way too big.

Offline dimmu

« Reply #999 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 22:51:35 »
Just traded my 5S in for a 6+. Holy crap these 5.5" phones are almost way too big.

takes about a week and you'll start saying that the 5.1 phones are way too small.