Author Topic: Best Keycaps for Backlid Boards?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Best Keycaps for Backlid Boards?
« on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 23:37:29 »
Hey guys,

What do you think the best look is for a backlid keyboard? I've seen some nice ones with POM keycaps as well as some with normal doubleshots but the backlid led can be seen behind the keycaps and it still looks nice.

Opinions? Pictures? I just got my Ducky today and I've been having a blast with it...need inspiration in customization though :D

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: Best Keycaps for Backlid Boards?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 11:06:43 »
I'm sure CLiB won't mind me posting this.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36360.0

Get buying!

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 11:20:08 »
Haha I saw CLiB's post already. But with that price tag I rather get a full TKL set of keycaps right now  :p

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:26:23 »
Your Ducky came with windowed keys.  Obviously those are best but if you wish to replace them with opaque keys, ABS is supposed to be better than PBT because they let more light through.  Based on photos I've seen, it looks like the POM keys will also let a lot of light through.  Obviously white is better than black or other dark color.  So if you must, look for a set of white doubleshots or blanks.  There's also crystal keys (clear).  They would really light up, but I don't know how attractive they would be.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:46:21 »
The lights on my Ducky shine through my white pbt key caps pretty nicely.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Best Keycaps for Backlid Boards?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:37:42 »
SP has translucent coloured key caps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:38:50 »
Ducky has been toying with the idea of specialty backlit caps.  Make sure you tell them you want this!  I think their trying to feel out what colors to provide.

I hope they do several different colors because that looks awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.361417140600053.84262.117547488320354&type=1

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:53:30 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:01:06 by esoomenona »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:15:56 »
Meh.  Rayuki has an example of POM keys over back-lighting in his avatar.  Recently there was a Pure posted with metal caps that looked great with the LED bleed from between the keys.  Just about every KMAC has ABS plastic over the lit keys.  Iron mans have glowing eyes.  There's lots to do with back-lighting!  Still would like to see those Ducky keys though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:19:27 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:01:25 by esoomenona »

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:00:32 »
Yeah there are so much you can do with backlids.

But so far I like what some KMAC owners have done, just have normal dyesub PBT or doubleshot ABS and have the lights shine behind them. If you coordinate the colors well, it can look pretty cool.

I'm digging the round 1's and Dolche look. Too bad I'm way too late for those!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:05:17 »
Not too late.  There is going to be a Dolch Cherry replica group buy coming up.  They are still trying to work out the legends, but my guess is they would do the ordering before the end of the year.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:07:36 »
The back and gray one looks nice (says he with two Ducky shines) :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 07:31:19 »
Not too late.  There is going to be a Dolch Cherry replica group buy coming up.  They are still trying to work out the legends, but my guess is they would do the ordering before the end of the year.

Oh nice! I remember seeing posts of prototypes of the cherry legends but I didn't realize a group buy was happening for that. I'll definitely be sure to get in on that  :cool:

Love that look! (do want R1 and Dolch) Mind posting some pics?  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 16:01:31 »

Love that look! (do want R1 and Dolch) Mind posting some pics?  ;D

Sorry, I was just dreaming how those key caps would look on my Ducky Shines.

Offline dman777

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 00:08:00 »
Show Image

Is that unmodified? If so, what Ducky Model is that?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 01:15:09 »
Show Image

Is that unmodified? If so, what Ducky Model is that?

Probably a Shine of some sort - that is the Ducky backlit variant.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 01:33:31 »
I would guess that this the Shine 2 looking at the spacebar

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:38:06 »
Ducky has been toying with the idea of specialty backlit caps.  Make sure you tell them you want this!  I think their trying to feel out what colors to provide.

I hope they do several different colors because that looks awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.361417140600053.84262.117547488320354&type=1

Show Image

I also hope they finally come out with these. I know they're going to be decent quality.

Now if Deck only sold keycap sets.