Author Topic: Identifying Vintage Blacks?  (Read 16557 times)

Offline jeroplane

Identifying Vintage Blacks?
« on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:20:57 »
I remember seeing someone mention it, as well as a Deskthority post about it, but I can't for the life of me find either.

How can one differentiate between modern and vintage Cherry MX Black switches? I remember it was something to do with the logo being aligned differently?

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Identifying Vintage Blacks?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:38:41 »
The logo is ever so slightly bigger on the vintage switches.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 05:36:13 »
Keyboardless

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 06:02:37 »
Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 16:01:27 »
What differences are there between vintage and modern blacks (apart from the slight difference in logo size)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline urbanus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 03:15:45 »
What differences are there between vintage and modern blacks (apart from the slight difference in logo size)?

The vintage switches have a smoother feel.  They don't have the slight feeling of friction you get in modern blacks and reds.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 04:25:36 »
Thanks for that.  Looking a bit closer at my 1988 switches, they seem to have the smaller Cherry loco, so I guess they are not vintage.

So, that begs the question: how old are vintage MX black switches?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 04:45:15 »
Thanks for that.  Looking a bit closer at my 1988 switches, they seem to have the smaller Cherry loco, so I guess they are not vintage.

So, that begs the question: how old are vintage MX black switches?

From what I've read, they changed the material of the switches in about 1994/1995. So anything from 1984 to 1994 would be vintage.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 04:57:39 »
Weird then.  My terminal is dated December 1988 and the keyboard switches have a smaller Cherry logo, like the second pic above.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 06:36:38 »
There definitely isnt a set date for this vintage/non vintage black stuff

All you can do is look to confirm
Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 07:31:02 »
I think you're all crazy... :P Black is black.

I personally haven't ever compared "vintage blacks" to "new ones".

Offline bounce

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:49:09 »
Hm, thats strange.
The cherry logo on my SteelSeries 7G is smaller than on my
G80 3000 HPMDE / 06 while the typing feels totally different (thats due to pcb mounted compared to platemounted i suppose).

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Identifying Vintage Blacks?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:46:44 »

vintage mx blues and browns are better too btw since we're on this topic of vintage switches ;o
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:13:39 »
The original MX were black, and were made between 85 and sometime in the early 90s from what I can tell. The originals have a lighter spring, and the stem is possibly made of a different plastic formula, and also the legs that hit the crosspoint have a tiny bit less angle on them. The larger logo is the easiest way to spot them, but there may be some of the smaller logo with the orignal internals as well made during transition period. Some earlier blues can be spotted this way as well with the large logo, but the most imortant part there is the 2nd piece of the stem is made out of the same black plastic as the original blacks. Whatever the case with the older black plastic, is it has much less friction than later variants resulting in much smoothe action. I like to describe it as buttery.
Vintage browns only feel better because they have turned into reds after having thier little tactile point worn off. :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:15:27 by lysol »

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
Re: Re: Identifying Vintage Blacks?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:46:40 »

The cheat I just got has vintage blacks, and it feels way better then modern blacks

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 09:11:29 »
All my WYSE keyboards have had a mix of vintage and modern blacks. I believe the vintage ones do feel different.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:10:34 »
Hmmm I might pull a few more key caps off and see what else is there (I only checked a couple of them).

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 02:21:37 »
What kind of springs do vintage blacks have? More than once I've seen people mention them in the same sentence as 62g springs. Are these found on WYSEs and such already, or are do members just tend to mod vintage blacks with separately purchased Korean 62g springs?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 02:59:04 »
What kind of springs do vintage blacks have? More than once I've seen people mention them in the same sentence as 62g springs. Are these found on WYSEs and such already, or are do members just tend to mod vintage blacks with separately purchased Korean 62g springs?
mod vintage blacks with korean 62g springs.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:12:34 »
So how do stock vintage black springs feel? Closer to the modern 65g actuation force springs?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:48:34 »
Vintage blacks are lighter than current, about 60-63g actuation force so just a touch heavier than the 62g since those are marked on bottom out force.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 01:33:31 »
Good to know! Thanks for the info guys!  :)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 02:08:37 »
Sooo... Vintage Alps anyone?
SmallFry! <3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 14:22:20 »

I have some vintage white stem Alps in a Chiconey AT 'board in my closet, you want it?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 17:58:06 »

I have some vintage white stem Alps in a Chiconey AT 'board in my closet, you want it?
Mmmmm ALPS...