Author Topic: Noppoo Mini vs Keycool 84  (Read 16677 times)

Offline Zokudu

Noppoo Mini vs Keycool 84
« on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:25:25 »
Which of these would you get? Looking into buying a white 75% board and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I think I like the Keycool better because of its 1.25x modifiers on the left side but I'm still kind of torn. Any thoughts? Likely getting browns, I own a Filco MJ2 with browns and I really like them, kind of want to try blacks but I don't want to spend the cash on a board I may dislike if I know I really like browns.
Filco Majestouch 2 - Browns | Keycool 84 (POM) - Browns | CMStorm Quick Fire Rapid - Greens

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: Noppoo Mini vs Keycool 84
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:53:04 »
As I understand it the Keycool 87 is glued shut.

That's disgustingly bad. I mean, using clips instead of all screws is bad enough, but glue? Ewwwww...

I don't know how the Minis are these days, but my Noppoo Tank is quite nice.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Zokudu

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:54:04 »
As I understand it the Keycool 87 is glued shut.

If the Keycool 84 is the same way I'd avoid it on that aspect alone.

From a thread I read on Deskthority that does seem to be the case, it also mentions that the detachable USB is a tight fit and they are/were nervous about it harming the cable if left in over time. How unusual are the Noppoo keycaps? A lot of posts about it seem to say it has an odd keycap layout but I've heard the 1.75 right shift is becoming more common. Those 1 unit modifiers (Left Win key, Right Alt and Fn) seem like they would be difficult to replace if need be though.
Filco Majestouch 2 - Browns | Keycool 84 (POM) - Browns | CMStorm Quick Fire Rapid - Greens

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:10:25 »
Quality-wise I think the Keycool is slightly ahead (from other comparisons), but yes, being glued shut does make any modding a bit tougher since you could potentially ruin the case opening it up.

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:36:31 »
Quality-wise I think the Keycool is slightly ahead (from other comparisons), but yes, being glued shut does make any modding a bit tougher since you could potentially ruin the case opening it up.

I find this odd. It seems that a year ago people were raving about the Noppoo. Strange how that happens. Also, it is really sad that the Keycool's are glued shut. Nothing but a move against modders. If they were trying to hide some secret sauce inside you could still get at it, just with more difficulty.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:58:41 »
Not a move against modders.  It's cheaper.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:09:00 »
Not a move against modders.  It's cheaper.

That it is; people have taken them apart successfully, you just have to deal with it like a surgeon, lol. But, yes, pictures of the soldering on Keycools seem very promising, not many points that looked cold (and of those just barely so); actually much less than you'd find on most iOne boards and even on the new Logitec G710+ (from what I've seen at least).

Offline aeta

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:54:31 »
It isn't glued shut. Its clamped together tightly but there's no glue
Keycool 84, IBM Model M SSK, Noppoo Choc Pro
http://imgur.com/a/z2x2p#0

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:17:55 »
I have both.

Plus for Noppoo: POM keycaps more durable. No shininess after being used daily for over a year and half. The ABS keys on my Keycool are already starting to get shiny after a couple months. I assume that the PBT keycaps on the white Noppoos will wear similarly.
Plus for Keycool: Better layout, with Home/End keys usable without having to press the Fn key. Having Pause/Print where it is on the Noppoo is completely idiotic.
Plus for Keycool: I like the higher-profile keycaps.
Plus for Noppoo: wider right Ctrl key. I use this key a lot and it's nice to have the extra size.
Minus for Keycool: The pad printing on the keycaps is very thick.
Minus for Keycool: I've had some problems where a key will register as stuck down if I press it only down just to the activation point.

My perfect keyboard would have the Keycool Home/End layout, Noppoo modifier layout, and POM keycaps.

Here's a pic I took of both on the day I got my Keycool, after using the Noppoo daily for 18 months. As you can see, no wear/shininess on the Noppoo keys at all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:22:19 by polpo »
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:58:41 »
It isn't glued shut. Its clamped together tightly but there's no glue

This is what I imagined in the first place with additional glue. If it can be clamped then the glue would be an added cost and move against people making modifications.

That said, I certainly see glue being cheaper than screws and I admit I wasn't even considering that type of comparison.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:58:57 »
That's great news about the Home/End on the new Noppoos. Given that info, I'd go with a Noppoo then!

I got my Keycool 84 from qtan's shop: (http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-sw/key-cool-84-gaming-cherry-mx-s/lid=31782478). His description says ABS, and from using the keyboard I believe it.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:11:20 »
A short note to you guys.

Any order place after Oct.22 of key cool, the caps has been upgraded.

Black body has black POM caps, White body with white PBT. It is new upgrade, however, the price is up for 6 dollar too.

It apply to Key cool 84 and 87 without LED.

And, noppoo midi 87 arrived a day ago.
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline Zokudu

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 09:24:59 »

Black body has black POM caps, White body with white PBT. It is new upgrade, however, the price is up for 6 dollar too.

I ordered a Keycool 84 in black from you on the 22nd, and you shipped it out on the 23rd do you know if that has the POM caps? I paid 72.99 before shipping for it from your shop if that helps at all.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 16:29:18 »

Oh danm, awesome news. Do you know if the PBT keycaps on the white version are printed or dye sublimated? (Guessing printed because of the pricing, but can always hope!)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:17:04 »
I have both.

Plus for Noppoo: POM keycaps more durable. No shininess after being used daily for over a year and half. The ABS keys on my Keycool are already starting to get shiny after a couple months. I assume that the PBT keycaps on the white Noppoos will wear similarly.
Plus for Keycool: Better layout, with Home/End keys usable without having to press the Fn key. Having Pause/Print where it is on the Noppoo is completely idiotic.
Plus for Keycool: I like the higher-profile keycaps.
Plus for Noppoo: wider right Ctrl key. I use this key a lot and it's nice to have the extra size.
Minus for Keycool: The pad printing on the keycaps is very thick.
Minus for Keycool: I've had some problems where a key will register as stuck down if I press it only down just to the activation point.

My perfect keyboard would have the Keycool Home/End layout, Noppoo modifier layout, and POM keycaps.

Here's a pic I took of both on the day I got my Keycool, after using the Noppoo daily for 18 months. As you can see, no wear/shininess on the Noppoo keys at all.
Show Image

I have a newer Noppoo I got in November of 2012, I think, and it has the Home/End layout of the Keycool 84.  I think Noppoo had to notice a few complaints and made the changes.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 15:14:11 »
I think Choc Mini with revised layout is actually older than Keycool 84.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 19:40:38 »
I think Choc Mini with revised layout is actually older than Keycool 84.

You're probably right, I just learned a Choc Mini existed a few months ago.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing