Author Topic: Info on Cougar Attack Gaming keyboard?  (Read 18885 times)

Offline theultrazord

Info on Cougar Attack Gaming keyboard?
« on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 18:43:52 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-Attack-Gaming-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B008POA3Y6/ref=lh_ni_t . So I've been looking everywhere for some details on this keyboard. It seems to follow the ansi 104 standard for most keys except the extra G keys and the media keys but what kind of stabilizers does it use and who is the board maker? It looks like a pretty damn sweet keyboard and I wish they sold it in the US but it looks like I might have to import it. Thanks!

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: Info on Cougar Attack Gaming keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 19:34:37 »
Looks to be related to SkyDigital Mechanic 2, based on case design, layout, and features.

That one uses Cherry stabilizers, though I suppose it's possible that the Cougar variant is different.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline ih8

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 20:59:45 »
I get the feeling that everyone who didn't enjoy the over branding on the QF's is gonna love this board, not a fan of those macro keys either

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 21:14:30 »
Looks to be related to SkyDigital Mechanic 2, based on case design, layout, and features.

That one uses Cherry stabilizers, though I suppose it's possible that the Cougar variant is different.
Whoa thanks for the find! I wish someone had some info on its quality but cherry stabilizers are all I needed to know about it. Might as well get a ducky then, thanks!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 22:18:33 »
lol I mean I'm sorta happy to see that mechanical keyboards are getting popular.  But I'd probably not buy this keyboard for a few reason:

1. Too much clutter, wayyyy too many buttons.
2. Look kinda tacky, like it's designed for 12 year olds.
3. Cougar Attack... like seriously?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Grimey

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 22:31:37 »
I guess it could have more buttons, but not sure whatever "gaming" buttons they could come up with to justify it.
Erlang your pants off

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 05:25:22 »
Someone on this board has the Cougar keyboard.. I will search and tell ya who.

Jil_Jil32 owns one.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 October 2012, 05:27:35 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 05:27:28 »
Someone on this board has the Cougar keyboard.. I will search and tell ya who.

jill has one.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 15:04:46 »
I have some more pics of the Cougar Attack X keyboard here:

And some info / specs / thoughts:

- There are 4 versions of the Attack X: Black & Brown switches (White LEDs), Red switches (Red LEDs) and Blue switches (Blue LEDs)
- There are also 4 versions of the Attack (cheaper version without LED)
- Weight about 1.2-1.3kg
- Come with 8 extra keycaps (wasd, arrows) and one key puller, PS/2 connector
- Has 12Key Rollover through USB and NKey Rollover through PS/2
- 8 extra macro keys (can record multiple key presses with no driver needed, MR + M1-M8) and 3 media (volume) keys
- G key for Gaming mode: disable Window key and "increase the key-code sending speed from 4 times (USB) to 8 times (PS/2) than normal"
- 4 modes of LED backlight: Full key light on - WASD light on - Arrows light on - Full key light off
- Default keycaps just like other backlighting boards with rubber coating on them.
- LEDs are quite bright, I think the metal plate with same color with those LEDs helps a lot. I can't get used to the full key light on mode unless swapping all the keycaps
- Some small details are good that I like: detachable braided cable, gold-plated connectors, metal colored plate, cherry stabilizer, rubber back stands, not dust magnet housing so easy to clean
- I'm not a fan of its size and the Cougar logo printed above the arrows cluster (actually I want the logo to be engraved on the top right of the board, might be much better looking)
- The whole board is quite solid, I tried to twist it and don't have the cheap feeling over it. But anyway, it's just normal plastic housing, so don't expect much (can't compare to the Realfoce or HHKB lol)
- I will happily buy it for my brother if it sell for around $100, yup maybe just because I've owned some cooler boards already
- I haven't disassembled the board yet so don't have anything more to say about it. I should do when I have more time.

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:41:39 »
Wow Jil I really appreciate how much you put down about this keyboard! I searched GH for a while and couldn't find any good info so I though this would be the place to add it. Can't wait for it to sell in the US!

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 05:23:04 »
Even though I much prefer TKL keyboards these days. I don't mind the look of the Cougar.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 11:27:46 »
Looks cool.  I like the driver-less macro keys.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 14:36:48 »
Out of curiosity, are there any other keyboards with macro capability over PS/2, or is this the only one?

I was thinking about it a little, and nothing else came to mind...not that it's the sort of thing that I'd be likely to buy myself, but enquiring minds want to know.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Gtsbaby

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:45:43 »
Off the back of your photos I decided to take the plunge and order one of these off Amazon Uk. £80!
Thanks

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 09:35:11 »
I like this keyboard!  I might buy the nonbacklit version!

Or I would happily buy the backlit version if it had a "LED On when Key actuates then OFF when it deactuates" mode.  That way I would have hyper precise info on exactly when the key has reset.  That would be great.

And of course I wish it had a PCB mounted version.

+ They are a real keyboard company.  They wanted extra keys so they added extra keys.
+ NKRO
+ PS/2
+ They did not delete any important keys.
+ They did not hijack any important keys (as far as I can tell).
+ Cherry Red

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:43:59 »
Those keys just scream Black Widow Ultimate to me, the font, color, texture even the naming scheme on the macro keys is identical or extremely similar. Add the ability to add macros without software, another BW trait and I have to wonder where this board came from.

It does use different stabilizers, but the keys and the controller both are very, very similar.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Amazon page, on a hunch to see if I could see the cables... Sure enough, pretty much identical to a Black Widow Ultimate.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:49:03 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Gtsbaby

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 10:34:09 »
Those keys just scream Black Widow Ultimate to me, the font, color, texture even the naming scheme on the macro keys is identical or extremely similar. Add the ability to add macros without software, another BW trait and I have to wonder where this board came from.

It does use different stabilizers, but the keys and the controller both are very, very similar.

Edit: Just went and looked at the Amazon page, on a hunch to see if I could see the cables... Sure enough, pretty much identical to a Black Widow Ultimate.

I am trying to work out whether what you are saying is a good thing or a bad thing? Can you please explain to a novice like myself?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:23:47 »
Razer Black Widows have a rather bad reputation. among mechanical keyboard enthusiasts.
They had/have issues with keys sticking, build quality problems (rusty plates) and more.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:03:46 »
Ugh.... Passion X Innovation... that just sounds someone slinging mud against the fence.  and that doesn't even look like a cougar.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:14:35 »
Ah, here is why punctuation is important.  After some hesitation, I opened this thread, and luckily it is about Cougar's "Attack" gaming keyboard.

It is not a gaming keyboard based on the game "Cougar Attack".

Whew!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:21:50 »
Ah, here is why punctuation is important.  After some hesitation, I opened this thread, and luckily it is about Cougar's "Attack" gaming keyboard.

Whew!

I don't know, that might be a pretty awesome keyboard...

On the other hand, I think the M remains the preferred self-defense weapon against animal attacks for most serious enthusiasts.

(BTW, Cougar is actually pretty big in Europe. They're based in Germany and do both in-house development and rebranding. Generally pretty solid stuff, too!)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:27:13 »

Whew!

I don't know, that might be a pretty awesome keyboard...

On the other hand, I think the M remains the preferred self-defense weapon against animal attacks for most serious enthusiasts.

(BTW, Cougar is actually pretty big in Europe. They're based in Germany and do both in-house development and rebranding. Generally pretty solid stuff, too!)

People kept talking about heavy keyboards as "combat-keyboards".. However with the weight, it is much slower to get off the table.. and therefore lowering the chance for you to land a quick strike blow..

If anything Lighter keyboards would be more combat efficient than the aluminum tanks that people put together.

Your enemy is not going to just stand there, wait for you to get the keyboard off the table slowly, and then aim and then swing..

You gotta be able to do a quick first strike, to knock him wayward, and then maybe if deserving, land a second death strike.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:51:06 »
I have a cougar attack in my collection of keyboards.

I like the keyboard alot, I got it in UK ISO as I am planning to take it to my office and use it as my work keyboard (All the servers I dial into are UK input, and US Int. doesnt map through terminal services so it just makes more sense to have an ISO board at work.)

So far the only thing to annoy me with the board is, if you have square caps like cherry caps, those in the corners will get stuck down unless you square out the plastic corner, as otherwise the sharp point of the cherry cap just rubs against the plastic wall. I took a sharp knife to all these rounded corners and made them square and now no issue.

the backlight annoys me - but I have just read above that this can be changed, which I had no idea about. So now I am going to see if I can change it when I get home tonight (read the manual time)
I got boards.

Offline OverBanana

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 00:36:44 »

People kept talking about heavy keyboards as "combat-keyboards".. However with the weight, it is much slower to get off the table.. and therefore lowering the chance for you to land a quick strike blow..

If anything Lighter keyboards would be more combat efficient than the aluminum tanks that people put together.

Your enemy is not going to just stand there, wait for you to get the keyboard off the table slowly, and then aim and then swing..

You gotta be able to do a quick first strike, to knock him wayward, and then maybe if deserving, land a second death strike.

A Model M balanced over the doorway can delay incoming hostiles while you deploy your Koyu Tank.