Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting MX White/milk KBT Race  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
I'm thinking of getting MX White/milk KBT Race
« on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:46:26 »
The MX white switches are intriguing because they are tactile like blues but have less noise, and I also want a compact layout.

But I don't know if its worth $130, which is 1/2 of the way towards a Topre. I'm afraid the springs might be too heavy, the construction too cheap, and the layout too odd (1.5 width arrow keys do not sit well with me).

Or would it be feasible to try and convert another board like a CM QFR from blues to whites?
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
Re: I'm thinking of getting MX White/milk KBT Race
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:33:30 »
I just bought the Mx milk switches you are speaking of the same board im sure kbt race 75%. They aren't bad at all. I thought they were actually gonna be louder judging from a youtube video. But getting mine today i really like it
You could swap out the switches but it would be easier with a pcb mounted board like kbt pure non led, i made an ergo clears that way in like less than 10 mins. With the cm you would have to desolder every individual switch. But if you got a cherry board with pcb mount for a good price you could make an affordable mx milk board or just go through the desolder work it isn't rough, just time consuming.

edit: the springs felt heavy at first, but after about an hour of gaming and just fiddling with them, I've become accustomed to their weight without straining my wrists. I really like the switch and will be keeping my board. As for topre you can't go wrong, but it may not be for everyone with that price tag.. My hhkb is coming in a couple of days and i was a previous owner of a couple topre boards, they are worth it IMO. Hope i helped sorry for the wall of text  :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:36:20 by Rinsaku »
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 06:48:30 »
The MX white switches are intriguing because they are tactile like blues but have less noise, and I also want a compact layout.

But I don't know if its worth $130, which is 1/2 of the way towards a Topre. I'm afraid the springs might be too heavy, the construction too cheap, and the layout too odd (1.5 width arrow keys do not sit well with me).

Or would it be feasible to try and convert another board like a CM QFR from blues to whites?

I haven't experienced lots of other boards to give too many comparisons, but I can say a few things. One, I love the switches. The bigger bump is exactly what I was looking for. Also the PBT caps are quite awesome, I'm glad that PBT is becoming more popular. As for the layout, it is my least favorite thing on the board. I've adjusted to it okay, but it still could be better. I haven't owned one, but I think I'd prefer the layout of the Noppoo Choc Mini.

Here is a slightly more detailed opinion from me http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36111.msg690492#msg690492

So is it worth the money? That would depend on a lot of things, like how much you like the layout, switches, etc. Personally, I don't trust myself at this point to be doing a bunch of soldering (and desoldering) so I bought a board with switches that I thought I'd like.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline Burz

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 22:15:18 »
I wonder what whites would be like with a lighter spring, and also how much (if any) of their unique character comes from the switch housing. Hmmm...
 :rolleyes:
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 00:39:49 »
I just swapped out one of the switches with a red spring and it feels like a blue but the sound of course is very different.  I'm bout to ergo milk the entire board right now. ^_^
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline Burz

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 08:43:12 »
I just swapped out one of the switches with a red spring and it feels like a blue but the sound of course is very different.  I'm bout to ergo milk the entire board right now. ^_^
That sounds awesome! Keep us updated on that...

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 05:58:05 »
Well I've Fully modded the alphabetical switces with red springs, it feels like blues but with less of a bump but moreso than a brown.
The sound is the best part. My wife hasn't complained about the clickyness at all it doesn't seem all the loud. It is kinda of reminiscent of
the sig minitouch white alps, but not as loud. I've gotten use to the shift key quicker than i thought i would.

Offline Burz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 00:49:47 »
Well I've Fully modded the alphabetical switces with red springs, it feels like blues but with less of a bump but moreso than a brown.
The sound is the best part. My wife hasn't complained about the clickyness at all it doesn't seem all the loud. It is kinda of reminiscent of
the sig minitouch white alps, but not as loud. I've gotten use to the shift key quicker than i thought i would.
I'm surprised it has less of a bump than blues. Maybe that is not so good.

How do you like the arrow keys?

Offline i488

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 00:55:37 »

if you are up for the white switches. the kbt oni 87( white) is coming soon

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 03:06:34 »
This layout is my favorite. I really like the placement of arrow keys. The only thing that bothers me is the ability to get compatible keycap sets.
As for the bump its really close, i think it sounds and feels like toned down blues.. with a lower crunch rather than a high clicky crackle... if that makes sense.
The mod to the ergo-milk as for feel and sound.. its my second favorite switch after the ergo-clears.

Offline trentva

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 08:29:39 »
might be getting a deck white board

Offline OrpheusX

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 08:57:11 »
Burz, did you end up getting this board? I'm on the fence myself.

Offline Burz

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:37:37 »
Burz, did you end up getting this board? I'm on the fence myself.
Nope, still on the fence...

might be getting a deck white board
Deck makes them? You may be thinking of clears.