Author Topic: Spray Painted my Filco  (Read 6243 times)

Offline fluxrez

Spray Painted my Filco
« on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:38:30 »
Krylon Fusion
Let's hope this works.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Spray Painted my Filco
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:39:18 »
Looks great!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:39:19 »
It works. Looks good.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:40:18 »
my experience is that spray paint chips really easy on plastic. Those layers look pretty thick.

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:03:43 »
It's not very thick at all.  I think the shine causes that look.  They didnt have any non-shiny krylon fusion paint.  im going to let it dry 7 days before putting it back on my keyboard

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:15:11 »
It's not very thick at all.  I think the shine causes that look.  They didnt have any non-shiny krylon fusion paint.  im going to let it dry 7 days before putting it back on my keyboard

Very cool, let us know how it goes in 7 days! I've been considering spraying my Filco green, but a bit hesitant because I don't want to screw it up for good.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:04:55 »
Very cool! I'm also interested to know how long it lasts :) looking forward to your updates!
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:12:15 »
I think that it was terrapin who said that Fusion is very good paint for plastic.

I have a can of brown that I have almost used on a Model M case several times. Once I dye a set of keys brown, I will do the case.

My testimonial to Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating ($8 at NAPA) is pretty solid, however.

I did 2 cases in Charcoal Gray on my Model F 122-key terminal boards a year ago and they have held up flawlessly. They remain parked on the desk 98% of the time and I am careful with them (eg clean hands and no food or drink), but they are exhibiting no wear at all.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:37:04 »
Its rubbing off below the spacebar key...

maybe I didn't clean it well enough
maybe I should try sanding first?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:35:53 »
It would probably help because it provides a rough surface for the paint to stick to. So maybe sand, primer, then multiple layers of light coats.

Offline zeththedarkmage

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:27:02 »
Protip: If you are gonna paint plastic that gets frequent use save yourself the trouble of trying to paint it and use Vinyl Dye instead. Couple coats of this stuff and you are good to go. No need to sand/prime/clear coat. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

Offline TheShining

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 16:46:34 »
Krylon Fusion
Let's hope this works.

(Attachment Link)

Does indeed look great.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 04:00:24 »
^ Stop making a bunch of spam useless posts so you can sell something in the classifieds  ^-^

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:08:18 »
Keep us posted on chipping etc, I may do this myself.
I hate everything.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 21:53:09 »
what did you use to not get paint on the logo?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 22:41:40 »
You remove it before painting.

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 12:55:51 »
So I am back....

It had rubbed off a good deal under the space bar and a bit around the sides.  I was perfectly content to have a urban look, but then disaster happened!

My 2 year old girls dumped juice inside my keyboard.  After completely flipping out (quietly as not to upset 2 year olds) I took the keyboard completely apart.  I rinsed it in the sink and let it dry for 3 days.

Without putting the case back on the keyboard tested in perfect working order.  GO FILCO.  So I decided to repaint.  This time I sanded it pretty well before hand.  I also used a clear coat on the outside.  It has been a month and its still holding up.  But I may have just delayed the issue?

So there you have it.  It looks great again.  I will report back if there is any issues.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 November 2013, 12:58:18 by fluxrez »