Author Topic: Topre dome swapping  (Read 4125 times)

Offline khaangaaroo

Topre dome swapping
« on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 10:53:25 »
I had a few people ask me about modding variable-weighted Realforces into uniform. I dunno if there's already a write-up somewhere, but I was going to do a post about it on my blog anyways, so here it is: http://www.khangfixesit.com/2012/11/topre-keyboard-dome-swapping.html

It's not really a detailed DIY, just some pictures to give you an idea. But Realforces are pretty easy to work on, so I'm sure people can fill in the blanks themselves. Just be careful not to lose any springs or mix up your domes. Feel free to post with any questions.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Topre dome swapping
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:19:09 »
Nice :) Do you have any 55g Topre domes that you would like to sell?

Offline Bry

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:20:39 »
I had a few people ask me about modding variable-weighted Realforces into uniform. I dunno if there's already a write-up somewhere, but I was going to do a post about it on my blog anyways, so here it is: http://www.khangfixesit.com/2012/11/topre-keyboard-dome-swapping.html

It's not really a detailed DIY, just some pictures to give you an idea. But Realforces are pretty easy to work on, so I'm sure people can fill in the blanks themselves. Just be careful not to lose any springs or mix up your domes. Feel free to post with any questions.

How does swapping the domes around make it more uniform? Wouldn't it still be variable, but with the lighter switches in different places now?

It's painful to see a 10th AE realforce gutted like that xD

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline jackstar7

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:24:31 »
Very informative. I've been thinking about modding a variable to use a few heavier domes in the WASD area.
Topre 30g 104U-Silent --- 87U-Silent and 103U are now backups only

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:32:37 »
Nice :) Do you have any 55g Topre domes that you would like to sell?

haha nope, no leftover domes.

How does swapping the domes around make it more uniform? Wouldn't it still be variable, but with the lighter switches in different places now?

It's painful to see a 10th AE realforce gutted like that xD

I moved the lighter domes to lesser used keys, like the function row, the right alt/win/menu. I would say 99% of the time, I was typing on 45g keys. I think that counts as "more uniform" right?

I've switched the domes around several times since I did my 30g mod. I don't think gutting it hurts it very much, just us geekhackers :P

Offline Bry

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:41:58 »
Another quick question about topre, do they use the same spring for every weight? The only difference being the rubber cup?

Because if that's the case, there might be a small market for purchasing individual rubber domes of different weights just like people do with cherry switches. I doubt topre would start selling their components though lol. They're not like cherry where they sell switches to other manufacturers (afaik).

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 11:48:42 »
Yup, all the springs are the same as far as I can tell.

I agree, it would be great if we were able to buy domes individually. It's probably pretty hard to find spare domes. I haven't heard of anyone's Realforce breaking and having parts to sell. So far it's just been swapping domes within the same board and between other boards.