Author Topic: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Lanx

Re: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:19:20 »
i woulda ranked it ps3 then xbox360, then lately for some odd reason (cuz of the classic games) this
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controller-Pro-White-Nintendo/dp/B0037US4IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357377382&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+classic+controller

wii classic controller, feels nice solid and since it connects to the wii stick thing, it's light (the ps3 controller is light, but this thing is a featherweight), not like it matters, but after 6hours of gaming, you REALLY feel the 360 heft, (not to mention the horrible stiff triggers).

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:27:13 »
Razer's Onza was great but breaks way too easy im glad the fixed basically everything in their new product o and btw if you have a onza you get $10 off the new one.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
  • FIERCE HORSE
    • my blog
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 03:13:12 »

but seriously probably like... 6 button genesis controller and ps2. and dreamcast!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:54:04 »
Show Image

but seriously probably like... 6 button genesis controller and ps2. and dreamcast!
seriously?

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:39:00 »
Show Image

seriously?
lol I want one...
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB&WTT| Thread ←Link   [ ¡Asus Tablet+PC Games+More! ]

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:09:43 »
I like the original Gravis gamepad for older 2d games. I bought a Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS for Descent and X-wing series. That was awesome. I miss it. Can't use either one right now because my gameport won't be recognised in Windows.

I found a random Saitek P990 Dual Analog in a pawn shop for a dollar. It's acceptable for the money, and it's USB so I can use it for now. Definitely not my favorite though.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:28:59 »
I got to go over to a friend's house this weekend and he had a Sixaxis (not Dualshock 3 + Sixaxis) controller (genuine). I tried out MotioninJoy drivers with a twin-stick shooter on Steam and it was great. Tempted to get a DS3 but I can snap a few DS2 controllers for cheap. I just need to run to my local Gamestop in hopes that they still have some PS2 gear even though the PS2 shipments were discontinued a few months ago. I can only hope.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:01:11 »
I like the original Gravis gamepad for older 2d games. I bought a Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS for Descent and X-wing series. That was awesome. I miss it. Can't use either one right now because my gameport won't be recognised in Windows.
The good news is that they're analog gameport devices, so there are tons of cheap gameport-to-USB adapters that will work.

The bad news is that the TM F-16 FLCS is programmed through the keyboard port and requires an old computer running DOS or Win9x for that reason, still making it rather impractical on a modern computer. It doesn't help that you're limited to just four DirectInput buttons because of gameport limitations, forcing you to emulate keystrokes for everything else.

Hopefully, you can save up for a HOTAS Cougar or Warthog.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:36:29 »
I like the generic Playstation-style gamepads. (Logitech makes good ones)  I only use them for fighting games and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater though.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:40:19 »
The good news is that they're analog gameport devices, so there are tons of cheap gameport-to-USB adapters that will work.

The bad news is that the TM F-16 FLCS is programmed through the keyboard port and requires an old computer running DOS or Win9x for that reason, still making it rather impractical on a modern computer. It doesn't help that you're limited to just four DirectInput buttons because of gameport limitations, forcing you to emulate keystrokes for everything else.

Hopefully, you can save up for a HOTAS Cougar or Warthog.

Yes it's quite a pain to get it all set up. But man it was great back then. Never did get the throttle and pedals for it.

HOTAS is still pretty expensive, no? Haven't looked in a while.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 16:25:46 »
Yes it's quite a pain to get it all set up. But man it was great back then. Never did get the throttle and pedals for it.

HOTAS is still pretty expensive, no? Haven't looked in a while.
HOTAS setups often fetch a pretty penny, yeah.

Used Saitek X-45 and X-52 setups can be had for about $60-120 on eBay these days. Decent way to get started, and you don't need rudder pedals for yaw control, but Saitek's SST software really feels crippled compared to what TM and CH software can do (based on the same Bob Church's work, incidentally enough).

CH Products setups (usually the Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals combo) may sell for $165 shipped or even $120 shipped, which is a really good deal if you find a whole FS/PT/PP setup at that price range, but new pricing for each component is generally around $100-120 by itself. That adds up quickly.

Thrustmaster stuff is even more expensive than it used to be; the days of $100-250 stock HOTAS Cougars may be over already in the wake of their discontinuation and the release of Falcon BMS 4.32, and only rarely does the HOTAS Warthog drop to $350 new.

Offline darkadious

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 08:38:30 »
the original playstaion grey controllers had the best feeling d-pad for me, for fighters.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:16:39 »
I sort of don't like what Sony's doing right now with the new PS4 controllers. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If anything, they should work on a gamepad designed for PC (MotioninJoy is fine most of the time though).

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Civil Servant Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:43:10 »
Just impulse bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 VLX Diamond Edition

then I swapped the buttons to those silent sanwa's should he gotten green instead of vermillion ill have to buy more now

Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
  • FIERCE HORSE
    • my blog
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:44:18 »
very nice! i wish i could still play fighting games with a stick but it kinda hurts my wrists at this point.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:49:00 »
very nice! i wish i could still play fighting games with a stick but it kinda hurts my wrists at this point.
same

Offline Plater

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 01:26:45 »
My favourite gamepad is still the xbox 360 controller for windows. I have the wired version and its amazing. I tried the Logitech equivalent gamepads as well but they just don't have the same "feel" to it.

Offline makaseo

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:15:27 »
Been using my Razer Onza TE for a while now and I'm loving it to death so far.

Offline Saturn

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:43:12 »
My favourite gamepad is still the xbox 360 controller for windows. I have the wired version and its amazing. I tried the Logitech equivalent gamepads as well but they just don't have the same "feel" to it.

I have one of the Logitech gamepads, the F510, and it's got this problem with a huge center deadzone on the analog sticks.  Well, maybe the deadzone isn't that huge, but it feels huge when you're playing.  And it's hardware based, so no disabling it or configuring it in any way.

People have questioned Logitech about it and they insist that they were trying to follow the specs for the 360 controller as closely as possible.  I don't have a 360 controller myself so I can't confirm whether it has as big a deadzone as that.

Offline Plater

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 11:15:25 »

I have one of the Logitech gamepads, the F510, and it's got this problem with a huge center deadzone on the analog sticks.  Well, maybe the deadzone isn't that huge, but it feels huge when you're playing.  And it's hardware based, so no disabling it or configuring it in any way.

People have questioned Logitech about it and they insist that they were trying to follow the specs for the 360 controller as closely as possible.  I don't have a 360 controller myself so I can't confirm whether it has as big a deadzone as that.

If by deadzone, you mean the distance between the resting position of the analog sticks to the "activated" position, I can tell you that the Xbox 360 controller have none. At least from what I have been experiencing with. I mainly play NBA 2k13 and COD: BO2 where tiny adjustments are sometimes very critical.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 10:50:57 »

Hm...well, they might release new gamepads that possibly follow those specs since they already killed off the F510.

If by deadzone, you mean the distance between the resting position of the analog sticks to the "activated" position, I can tell you that the Xbox 360 controller have none. At least from what I have been experiencing with. I mainly play NBA 2k13 and COD: BO2 where tiny adjustments are sometimes very critical.

There were some issues with that no dead-zone thing for the 360 controller for me because I was playing Fez at my friend's house (since I don't own an XBox and Fez hasn't been released onto PC yet) and sometimes the analog stick would be ever so slightly off from the resting/nonactive position and it would cause me to walk off of a platform.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 18:45:58 »
@PS4 controller

A bit meh. Also slightly making me think about the Ouya commercial.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:33:28 »
360 controller
or
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Joystick

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 00:58:01 »
Found a Creative sound card with gameport at a Goodwill for $5.00, so now I have a working gameport again. Unfortunately, Both of my F-16 FLCSs have a twitchy pot. One likes to dive at random while the other jerks to the right. Only happens when centered. They are fairly unusable at this point because of it.

I might swap them around so I have both good pots in the same stick, or maybe I should look into cleaning them.

Offline cannedlemons

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 21:36:28 »
Madcatz TE fight stick :D