Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Vs Filco Majestouch 2 TKL  (Read 39018 times)

Offline LollyWater

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Vs Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:16:57 »
I hear the Quickfire Rapid and Filco brand keyboards compared to all the time on this forum but what exactly are the differences in quality and what constitutes the larger price tag of Filco boards over the Rapid?

Offline ih8

Re: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Vs Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:32:38 »
filco availability and the established name carry "most" the weight of that price difference

elitekeyboards used to carry filco but they weren't able to meet their demand

not necessarily saying that the price difference doesn't make it not worth it though

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:29:10 »
Mostly brand positioning and supply/demand. Since there is only one distributor for Filco in the US, they control supply.

I have both, and the only reason I have a Filco is because its Multicam, and I'm a sucker for anything military.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 21:30:08 »
It's probably confirmation bias, but after using several of each, the Filcos just "feel" more solid, but only ever so slightly.  It's definitely not twice as better, more like 10%. But the QFR is light years ahead of anything in the price range.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 21:37:19 »
Get the Quickfire rapid.  I have a hard time recommending Filcos over the CM Quickfires now.  I've owned several Filcos and Quickfires and honestly, the quickfires are damn near on par with the Filcos.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 21:42:17 »
Near on par. Something about it is still not there :D
I love Elzy

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 21:44:44 »

Close enough to where I feel bad spending the extra $50 on it. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 22:10:39 »

Branding?  Although that is less of an issue with the new unbranded QFRs.

Key cap font?  Filco = ok, QFR = yuck.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 22:14:43 »
PSHHHHHH, you know you pay the extra for the Filco dust cover ;)

I recommend QFT since it is the best board for the money, but I would buy Filco myself (only ~40bucks difference here). Stiffer case, more solid feel when you bang on the keys. No soft touch plastic. No detachable cable. I prefer Filco caps over QFR caps in feel and looks (QFR is probably designed by the F&F ricer crowd). I really don't mind paying that difference for what I perceive to be a better built/quality board.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 22:24:05 »
I did a review on this very topic:

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:29:58 »
Here is a comparison of the internals of the 3 big tenkeyless boards that are discussed here at Geekhack: the Filco Majestouch 2 (aka MJ2), the CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (aka QFR), and the Leopold FC200.  From the outside, the similarities of the MJ2 and QFR case design are obvious.  They are both made by Costar and therefore use Costar stabilizers.  However feature-wise the MJ2 has an attached cable and separate caps/scroll lock LEDs, while the QFR and Leo have removable cables attached from under the case and integrated LEDs.  The Leo uses Cherry stabilizers.  A nice touch on the MJ2 is rubber feet on the rear legs.

The MJ2 and the QFR use the exact same method to support the plate.  The plate is curved downwards at the top and bottom, which rests on the base.  The plate thickness is the same (0.055") and both are made from steel.  The cases are the same material and about the same thickness (~0.110").  The only interesting difference is that the MJ2 uses 2 screws to hold the plate down on the base.  Both clamp the plate to the base with the top half of the case, which snaps together in the same way and are locked together with one screw.

The Leo, on the other hand, has a plate that curves up and is supported by small ribs along the top and bottom.  The plate thickness is the same, though, so this probably does not affect the feel of the board in any meaningful way.  The case uses slightly thinner plastic, about 0.100" - 0.105" and snaps together with small tabs along the bottom edge (which make it much easier to open).  It's locked together with three screws.

The QFR and the Leo use a single-sided FR2 ~0.06" PCB while the Filco uses a double-sided FR4 0.065" PCB.  The MJ2 and QFR both use a header-mounted controller (though not compatible) while the Leo has the controller built onto the main PCB.  The slightly thicker and denser PCB material on the FJ2 is the only major thing that sets it apart from the other two.

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:56:22 by rknize »
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:33:00 »
Awesome comparison - thanks for that :)

This should go into the wiki ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:39:50 »
Great writeup rknize, now if only the QFR went in novel colors such as white/camo like the MJ2.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:41:19 »
I did a review on this very topic:

While the soldering really isn't nearly as clean (but surely better than some keyboards from other OEMs), I really can't see a reason why I'd pay US$ 150 on a FILCO TKL instead of a US$ 65 Quickfire Rapid, which looks like was pretty much based on the FILCO...
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:43:27 »
While the soldering really isn't nearly as clean (but surely better than some keyboards from other OEMs), I really can't see a reason why I'd pay US$ 150 on a FILCO TKL instead of a US$ 65 Quickfire Rapid, which looks like was pretty much based on the FILCO...

It's the law of diminishing returns that you find with any high-end gear.  Double the price does not get you double the quality.  You are mostly paying for the name.
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:49:51 »
As to the solder quality...this is actually more to do with the PCB.  Single-sided PCBs of this type do not have through-hole soldering pads (vias).  The pad needs to be larger so that the solder can build-up taller.  PCBs with vias don't require large pad areas, so the wave solder job looks neater.  The lead-free, flux-free solders being used these days do not flow well and look terrible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:51:44 by rknize »
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 00:55:47 »
Great writeup rknize, now if only the QFR went in novel colors such as white/camo like the MJ2.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37215.0

???

Offline ih8

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 01:03:50 »

???

I second the white casing. I'm still curious as to the case options Carter said were coming within the next 2-3 weeks.

Saw that krylon'd casing earlier as well  :confused:

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:24:10 »

???

That's a custom hand painted case, not at all the same as retail availability.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:28:13 »
Nice pix @ rknize

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 01:06:34 »

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 04:45:35 »

Show Image

Where'd you get the red on black keycaps?  Kinda makes the branding on the QFR look okay. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 10:10:23 »
Those are Ragnarok Reds.  They are perfect for the QFR red board.
Russ