Author Topic: Noise dampening - keyboard mat?  (Read 31569 times)

Offline detritus

Noise dampening - keyboard mat?
« on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 18:47:59 »
I've been looking for ways to reduce the noise my Filco (with browns) makes, and have done the usual stuff like fitting rubber ring dampeners, learning to type without bottoming out the keys, etc.

I've not seen anyone mention the sound the vibrations going through the desk make, but tonight I tried putting a folded microfibre cloth under and the difference is huge - far more than anything else I've done so far. The desk is just standard ~20mm thick wood.

Anyone else do/done anything similar? Anything "proper" available or is DIY the best I'm going to get?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Noise dampening - keyboard mat?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 21:52:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have two Ducky Shines, both with MX blue switches, one at home and one at work.  Although otherwise identical (apart from backlight colour), they sound completely different.  I put that down to the much thicker wood my work desk is made of.

Thus I would say yes, it would have an impact, as the keycaps bottoming out would transmit their force and thus sound through the keyboard case and into the desk.

I have not heard of any commercial offering in this area, however at my work there used to be a couple of big padded mats with built-in wrist rests.  I was looking for one a few weeks ago, but couldn't find any.  Something like that might have an effect, and I was hoping to try one except I think they might have been discarded a couple of years ago.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 22:33:24 »
I just use a small piece of shelf liner supporting the entire bottom of the board. I find that cuts down the resonance in both the case and the desk. Your way probably does the same thing, but shelf liner will prevent the board from sliding around.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 22:33:51 »
The "towel mod" has been relatively popular around here, haha. I had a towel under my board for a while too. But my "proper" solution has been a large desk mat like the Razer Goliathus Extended mousepad, which goes under both my board and mouse. Other (better looking) options are the XTrac Ripper XXL and there was another UK brand that makes desk mats that large that I can't remember right now. Otherwise, you could just use any large mousepad to place under your keyboard only if you don't need to fit your mouse on it.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:23:47 »
If it's tenkeyless, you may consider some cloth mousepad, e.g. SteelSeries QCK+. Uniform thickness, more or less reasonable price, rubberized bottom side, nice to touch surface,...

Offline detritus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 04:14:34 »
Funny you should mention the SteelSeries QcK+ as that's what I have :) Gave that a try but doesn't make as much difference as hoped - guess I'm a member of the towel mod club :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 04:45:49 »
It really depends on your table and the way you type. QCK+ works perfectly for me. However, I'm toying with the idea of thicker pads, for example CM Storm Speed-RX.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 10:22:13 »
HAHAHAHA....

You could also get the Ripper XXL
  :D
http://www.amazon.com/XTracPads-Ripper-XXL-Desktop-Gaming/dp/B000HTDBWI

I have one of these and it is a nice touch of padding for my wrists, elbows, keyboard(s), etc depending on what I am doing at my desk or workbench.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:22:49 »
I've not seen anyone mention the sound the vibrations going through the desk make, but tonight I tried putting a folded microfibre cloth under and the difference is huge - far more than anything else I've done so far. The desk is just standard ~20mm thick wood.

Anyone else do/done anything similar? Anything "proper" available or is DIY the best I'm going to get?
  Yep.  I've had a rubbery squishy cloth under my keyboard for several years.  Keeps it from sliding around.  Lowers noise.  Good deal all around.  I got mine from the Dollar Store.  Cut it to the size of my keyboard.  Job done.  Super cheap.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:52:12 »
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:54:04 »
It definitely lays flat.  You can use it as a surface/mod on it/cut it up/it's electro-static/heat resistant.  Don't be afraid to spill crap on it.  That mat is some serious sh!t
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 15:01:12 »
Mod-mats are a personal favorite :D

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11675/pad-200/ModRight_Super_Large_Anti-Static_Mod-Mat_Work_and_Assembly_Surface_Over_47_x_23_in_Size.html

oh wow, this thing looks like exactly the thing i needed for the project workbench i'm building

I hate the fan size graphic on it but i think i can manage to ignore it

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 15:48:22 »
Mod Mat will be fairly hard rubber though, right? The harder it is, the more noise will still be transmitted through to the desk. Something roughly the density of the packing foam in hard disk boxes is about right - hardly any noise gets through, and it's still firm enough that you don't notice it when typing/playing (honestly - sure your finger dives into it when you press the foam directly, but when that same force is spread over the size of a keyboard you have to push a whole lot harder to notice the squish!).

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 17:07:17 »
I'm saddened by all the recent noise hate. IMO, keyboards are supposed to make noise.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 17:26:46 »
Keyboards are a tool for entering text into a computer. Nothing about noise here. If noise can't be tolerated, the keyboard can't be used. Game over.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 20:15:09 »
I'm saddened by all the recent noise hate. IMO, keyboards are supposed to make noise.

QFT!
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline detritus

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 20:20:52 »
Noise is fine - it's all about making the Right™ kind of noise :)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 22:32:17 »
For me it's all about the feel because I touch type, purely. Actually paying attention to the sounds can distract me and slow down productivity cause I have ADD like that... but anyways, I've found the quietest board I've used thus far would be what I'm typing on right now; a QFR reds with 50A o-rings. Still looking for a way to reduce the sound of the keys popping up. I've been considering actually modifying the stems inside the switch itself.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 23:13:32 »

QFT!

+1 (typed on MX blues)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 19:00:16 »
The "towel mod" has been relatively popular around here, haha. I had a towel under my board for a while too.

lol I'm still using towel method.  It's just that when I tell people about it they always look at me and think I'm crazy or something.

I think it's in a threat somewhere that one guy's filco is wobbly and not laying flat on table.  And I suggested it but only 1 guy end up doing it  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 19:06:13 »
The "towel mod" has been relatively popular around here, haha. I had a towel under my board for a while too.

lol I'm still using towel method.  It's just that when I tell people about it they always look at me and think I'm crazy or something.

I think it's in a threat somewhere that one guy's filco is wobbly and not laying flat on table.  And I suggested it but only 1 guy end up doing it  :P

I was that guy ;)

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:18:58 »
+10 points for jeroplane lol

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden