Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case  (Read 126088 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:37:37 »
If someone wants to send me a Phantom ANSI150 plate, I will assemble my Phantom (finally!) and let you know if it fits in this case, once the case is delivered to me. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I can get a ANSI150 plate.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vintage

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:38:38 »
Hmmm. That's pretty interesting that you may be able to put QFR's in them. Hope someone dares to try that.

BTW, I agree that mini/micro USB probably is not the smartest choice for keyboards, especially mechanical ones. There is no need for low-profile connectors on the back of a board. I would prefer the standard USB or USB Type B connector (the ones for printers) as they would be much more durable. At least the QFR has a better placement for it that is less likely to be damaged like the Rosewill's that hangs straight out the back.

I do like the idea of a detachable cable though, because it allows you to replace the stock cable with a nicer one, or replace it if it breaks.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:38:43 »
Can't you get one from the custom plate GB?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:41:24 »
Can't you get one from the custom plate GB?

Yes, Dan already knows that I want one, but I think The_Beast still has them. Waiting...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:53:45 »
You'll hopefully be getting one in a few days

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:55:18 »
Yay, pictures... booo, bokeh.  bokeh is for art not for showing people your product.

So a Phantom will be loose without doing something to the case to hold it down.  The Phantom plates don't have the folded edges to be clamped down.

Since there are no standoffs in the package at all then the QFR and Filco should both fit equally and it's likely PLU-87 will too... I have no idea why I should even mention the idea of putting a PLU into an aluminum case tho.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 20:20:18 »
Lol aluminum PLU-87 FTW!

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:20:48 »
Hmmm. That's pretty interesting that you may be able to put QFR's in them. Hope someone dares to try that.

BTW, I agree that mini/micro USB probably is not the smartest choice for keyboards, especially mechanical ones. There is no need for low-profile connectors on the back of a board. I would prefer the standard USB or USB Type B connector (the ones for printers) as they would be much more durable. At least the QFR has a better placement for it that is less likely to be damaged like the Rosewill's that hangs straight out the back.

I do like the idea of a detachable cable though, because it allows you to replace the stock cable with a nicer one, or replace it if it breaks.

I actually rely on my detachable cable mod daily. When I sleep/go to work, I take my keyboard off my desk and put down a shock pad so my dumb cat won't get on my desk. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when this case makes me revert to an attached cable.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:29:18 »

Maybe the Phantom plate and the case will arrive around the same time. Then I can do a proper Phantom build and do a review of the case at the same time.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 21:40:03 »

Wait my child, reports need finishing -__-
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 22:30:52 »
I'm waiting to do your Poker for when Beast gets those plates to you as well... Do your homework Beast!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 22:47:20 »
lol MKC better release their aluminum keyboard soon otherwise this will steal all their customers  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 22:58:00 »
You didn't see feng's GB? MKC already released it, several people bought it for ~$350 shipped.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 23:16:38 »
You didn't see feng's GB? MKC already released it, several people bought it for ~$350 shipped.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to MKC's upcoming complete keyboard offering, not the Alu Filco case.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:03:05 »
Seems like there are some confused users elsewhere. This is a CNC machined case. Pretty apparent by the machine marks.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:07:01 »
When you guys say the phantom plate won't fit in this, do you mean the one white fire dragon is making for the filco?

Also, does an aluminum case like this actually change the feel of the board typing wise?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:20:41 »
The plate's edge sits on a groove on the case, as it is so in the Filco/CM Storm case. It is just Filco and CM Storm have extra protruding screw thingers it also rests on. They primarily sit on the ledge on the edge. The height of the plate on the edge is same height as edge of the bottom aluminum case (see here). The the top case just screw down into it, sandwiching it all together.

Ok now I see what you mean from this pic below. Basically there is a very small edge that the plate rests on. Since Filco, CM quickfire, and Ducky has plates that have bent down edges at the front and the back, that means phantom plates will only be supported and held up by the two short sides since a phantom plate is completely flat with no bent top and bottom edges. This is very little support since the top and bottom are long and they're just suspended, and also the fact that there are no standoffs in the middle to hold anything up. I'm thinking phantom PCB/plate combo might bend slightly if you press down hard in the middle.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:44:13 »
Unfortunately the case only have ledges that support the plate on the front and back. Not on the side. I am afraid that your plate won't fit.

How does your plate work in a regular Filco case? Doesn't that require the bent edges to sit on the bottom case too?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:00:20 »
For everyone else, here to a picture to better explain what I said. A filco plate has downward bends on the front and back of the plate, the phantom plate is flat throughout the whole plate. In the picture, bottom black plate is from a Filco, and top plate is from my custom TKL plate, which is similar to a phantom plate.

Unfortunately the case only have ledges that support the plate on the front and back. Not on the side. I am afraid that your plate won't fit.

This pretty much confirmed it: won't be compatible with phantom PCB/plate combo. jdcarpe, if you bought this for phantom only, then return it lol. My initial guess was that it might still work with phantom because the two shorter sides can hold it up, however just bends too easily. But laffindude said the case only holds up the plate by the front and back that requires the bend, which will make it flat out not work with phantom.

However, good news is that this aluminum case will work with all Filco TKL, CM quickfire, and ducky TKL since they all use the same plates with the bend. Dimensions are all the same.

How does your plate work in a regular Filco case? Doesn't that require the bent edges to sit on the bottom case too?

The custom plate is supported at the two short side edges and 4 standoffs, along with 1 large standoff near the top center for the PCB. Enough to be pretty sturdy, so it doesn't require the top and bottom bends.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:14:36 »
Gotcha. That's what I kinda figured when I looked at the interior of a case. The plate is thick enough to be pretty sturdy without being supported all around (given that you don't use the board as a trampoline ;)).
Oni also fits, since that's the board I happen to have handy and stuffed in there for the picture.
On the subject of Oni, in addition to having a plate support on the front and back, there are also little ledges to support the PCB. Not sure how needed that is, but it is there.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:41:58 »
Oh, hell yeah.  Ordered.  Now, to find an anodizing place in Austin to pick my own color....

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 03:16:12 »
I wasted an hour sitting here, contemplating whether to order or not. Price was too good so I ended up caving and ordered one. Going to home anodize it myself.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 03:34:32 »
Assuming I were to use this for a QFR, how would I go about obtaining an attachable cable like on a Filco?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 04:17:09 »
Assuming I were to use this for a QFR, how would I go about obtaining an attachable cable like on a Filco?
id say contact mimic

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 05:52:18 »

If you find out let me know...I ordered one of these alu cases for a QFR.  I don't want to have to do all the work of desoldering green switches and soldering them into a Filco.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 06:46:44 »
No, I didn't only order this for my Phantom. :) I still have 3 Filcos, even after I just sold another 3. :D

So for this to work with a Phantom PCB, you would have to use the plate from an actual Filco? I'm still hoping that bpiphany's replacement Filco controller wits nicely in the cutout in the top of this case.

in memoriam

Offline pasph

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 07:47:41 »
Can someone anodize one for me?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:19:16 »
However, good news is that this aluminum case will work with all Filco TKL, CM quickfire, and ducky TKL since they all use the same plates with the bend. Dimensions are all the same.

Because this is in the plate and not the PCB, back-lit Ducky TKL included too? I don't think there is a plate difference (and am not really sure why there would be), but one can never be too sure.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:36:19 »
If you find out let me know...I ordered one of these alu cases for a QFR.  I don't want to have to do all the work of desoldering green switches and soldering them into a Filco.

I already have a few of the pins and connectors from mouser to make the custom USB cable. I'll make a couple when I make mine too  ;)

It's not as easy as you think. That's why companies that anodize will charge a lot unless it's mass anodizing all at once.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:38:04 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:27:13 »
You could also consider getting it powder coated.  You can find places do to it, and it is durable.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:29:41 »
I've heard that its only $180 =)

Offline pasph

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:46:42 »

It's not as easy as you think. That's why companies that anodize will charge a lot unless it's mass anodizing all at once.

Yes, In fact I wanted to ask if there is someone who can offer this kind of professional service, obviously at a reasonable price, for just 1 case
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:49:35 »
Since the surface is oxidized already, you would have to get someone to grind or sandblast the surface in order to anodize it again. Making a bath, preparing a color and all that will be expensive if only for one item. I suggest you ask them if there is a chance that there are any colors going to be made close to the one you want and go with it, perhaps they can throw it in with those and you will have less fixed costs.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 10:50:16 »

Yes, In fact I wanted to ask if there is someone who can offer this kind of professional service, obviously at a reasonable price, for just 1 case

Yeah, HERE #6. I'm still getting everything set up though. Other than that, I haven't seen anyone on here offer it.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:12:26 »
Regarding fitting the phantom plate, what if it was modified to have standoffs in the proper location's?

Offline hluo87

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:49:24 »
Does anyone know if QF's will fit?
do you mean CM Quickfire Rapid?
do you know will that fit?

Offline nebo

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:06:16 »
I'm tempted but I don't know how much I like the sandwich idea of putting the pcb in, seems like it could be flimsy in the middle (like stock pokers).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:22:19 »
Pokers don't have a plate.

Offline nebo

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:38:41 »
Neither does the filco afaik, hence this GB:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:41:57 »
Neither does the filco afaik, hence this GB:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.0
Filcos and QFRs have plates, that plate just lets you open switches without desoldering.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:42:51 »
Filco most definitely has a plate. 

Look at WhiteFireDragon's post at the top of this page, he posted a picture of the Filco plate + his plate from the GB you just linked.

Offline nebo

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:53:59 »
Filco most definitely has a plate. 

Look at WhiteFireDragon's post at the top of this page, he posted a picture of the Filco plate + his plate from the GB you just linked.
My mistake, I must have missed that (I've only disassembled one filco before). Wonder if I could find a powercoater in Seattle to get it a dark gray....

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:41:33 »
MechanicalKeyboards is pretty fast, mine's shipped off already :D

Regarding fitting the phantom plate, what if it was modified to have standoffs in the proper location's?

The standoff legs are on the stock plastic cases, not the plate. These standoffs suspends the PCB/plate combo up. Phantom plate is not compatible unless you add the small bends on the whole front and back of the plate. And you can't just add more material on unless it was welded or something.

Does anyone know if QF's will fit?
do you mean CM Quickfire Rapid?
do you know will that fit?

Well we know this case is made to fit Filco, and we compatibility is solely dependent on the bend on the front and back of the plate according to laffindude. Since Filco, CM quickfire, and Ducky all use the same exact plate in this regards, they all should be compatible with this case. I have all 3 of these keyboards, so I'll confirm it once I get mine.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:03:53 »
Just ordered one,
only 2 left..!

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:02:38 »
WTF! I was just about to order one and it's out of stock now.  There were 5+ this morning.  :( 
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:06:07 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:08:32 »
You should have been first to order, I guess. Oh wait, that was me. >:D

in memoriam

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:20:27 »
I also got out bid on some black on beige doubleshots this morning. :mad: You Goddamn grinches stole my Christmas!

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:31:00 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:20:31 »
WTF! I was just about to order one and it's out of stock now.  There were 5+ this morning.  :( 

Sold out pretty quick. When I ordered around 2am this morning, it said 10+ in stock. You're the one that wanted one so badly, not sure why you hesitated.

edit: I ordered just to see how it looks in person and how it fits other keyboards besides Filco. Also wanted to experiment with anodizing. After that, and I can probably just sell it back to you. Any color in particular you want?
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:24:03 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:29:49 »
Hesitated because I was bidding on the doubleshots + moogle kit this morning.  I kinda of like the original silver from the pictures but I'd also be interested in a titanium look to try to simulate the KMAC cases.  Can this be done?  Someone should Gold plate theirs.   ;D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:48:17 »
Maybe laffindude can confirm, but I suspect these are already anodized? If not, they would oxidize and stain fairly quickly if they were just brushed aluminum. All that means, if true, is that to have them anodized to another color, you first have to media blast them to remove the anodized layer.

in memoriam