Author Topic: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Replace Keyswitches!  (Read 4740 times)

Offline saitek

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Replace Keyswitches!
« on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 13:08:03 »
Heey, i'm so happy i found you guys!
As you suspected it, i have spit some cola on my keyboard.
I tried to clean them with isopropyl alcohol (99%) but seems it doesn't work. It stickies and feels bad after it dries out.

About 13 switches are ****ed up so i need to replace them because i just can't live with that (who can?).
I googled for switches and i found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHERRY-MX-Series-Keyswitches-Blue-Cyan-Keyboards-Switches-ORIGINAL-/110917707690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d335e7aa seller.

Does these switches fits on blackwidow ultimate??
Please help me ty
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2013, 13:16:03 by saitek »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Replace Keyswitches!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 13:16:09 »
Um.. yes.. it will fit the hole is there, it's just black in the photo.

Offline saitek

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 13:21:14 »
Thank you, i'll order some then!
Till i get them in my hands, do you have anything to suggest?
I'm thinking to take apart the keyboard and clean at least the board before the residue damage it over time

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:56:52 »
Thank you, i'll order some then!
Till i get them in my hands, do you have anything to suggest?
I'm thinking to take apart the keyboard and clean at least the board before the residue damage it over time

don't worry about residue.. there's nothing in there terribly sensitive.. remember this is a keyboard after all..

Just make sure it dries.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 16:46:32 »
Lemme just (mis)use this thread for my purpose: A friend of mine spilled ice tea over his whole Black Widow, and the PCB seems damaged. Is not recognized in Windows anymore (LED's do light, but only if I put the whole board in destilled water to prevent shorts - else no reaction at all^^)
I guess, at first I have to desolder all the switches to get to the PCB, maybe I can fix the damage... Else I have my 100+ spare blues I guess? :D
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:12:37 »
Lemme just (mis)use this thread for my purpose: A friend of mine spilled ice tea over his whole Black Widow, and the PCB seems damaged. Is not recognized in Windows anymore (LED's do light, but only if I put the whole board in destilled water to prevent shorts - else no reaction at all^^)
I guess, at first I have to desolder all the switches to get to the PCB, maybe I can fix the damage... Else I have my 100+ spare blues I guess? :D

If it's got serious electrical issues, it's not worth fixing.. assuming your time is worth minimum wage, it'll take at least 6-7 hours to get everything apart and back together... add in the cost of parts... You may as well buy another keyboard...

Offline saitek

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:16:57 »
Probably a fried chip, i don't think you can save it but you don't have anything  to lose than some hours of desoldering. Good luck!
Oh and btw, i just ****ed up the logo while i was taking it apart. That low quality crap is designed with ink. So watch out your fingers and alcohol, it will dissolve it :( its not my day...

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:41:58 »
Desoldering shouldn't take too long. I didn't expect to get it working again anyways, just needed 3 switches to fix up my G80-1000HFD, the switches themselves should still be working I guess?
Sorry for your issues with the logo, I already noticed the BW is not exactly the most beloved product in this forum... Never understood why, maybe I do now *g*
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline saitek

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 04:19:25 »
May i ask guys how do you desolder? Do you use desoldering wick ?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 04:24:35 »
May i ask guys how do you desolder? Do you use desoldering wick ?

Use a desoldering pump, not a wick.  The wick will just make problems.