Author Topic: Replacement controllers - Filco, QuickFire, Rosewill, (others?)  (Read 59264 times)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Replacement controllers - Filco, QuickFire, Rosewill, (others?)
« on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 03:00:07 »
To follow up on my replacement controller for the tenkeyless Filco I am at least going to do a similar AVR microprocessor based controller board for the full size Filco as well. I have actually done most of the work on this I think. If anyone at TNT had a brain I would also have an new untouched Filco to test a prototype on...

Are there any other keyboards for which a replacement controller would be interesting? I know a lot of people have asked for one compatible with the Quick Fire Rapid. I don't own a Quick Fire myself, so I would need to know the pin locations and physical dimensions to be able to design one. (Or if someone would be adventurous enough to send me a controller that would probably be sufficient.)  It should be very similar to the tenkeyless Filco controller, only with the pins lain out a bit differently. It may be possible to combine this design with the one for the Filco. While also updating that design to have less components to assemble...

Someone also asked about the Rosewill, and if I remember correctly it looked very similar to the full size Filco. The pinout could of course be completely different...

I've also been considering starting a wiki page on controllers to collect info on their physical appearance, pinout, compatibility with main boards.

Edit: TNT actually had the good manner to come by today just as I was home on my break, purely by luck of course...
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 10:18:30 by bpiphany »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Replacement controllers - Filco, QuickFire, Rosewill, (others?)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 04:09:15 »
Funny, I just finished programming mine today thanks to hasu and thanks to you for making it. I'd love to have one for the QFR.
I love Elzy

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 04:21:26 »
I certain the CM quickfire will win the popularity contest. I can give you info on the controller when I have time.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 05:34:11 »
@ bpiphany

What does your controller do that the regular built-in controller does not do?

Good candidates are CM QFR and Rosewill because they have sold a lot of units.  I think you should consider WASD keyboards too because anyone with a WASD probably likes to customize everything down to a T.  And they are probably owned by users with disposable income.

I also think u should consider making a keyboard with a built-in Raspberry Pi.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:03:09 »
I can send you a QFR controller. I plan on using the case of one of mine for a Phantom, so it will go unused. Think of it as my way to help after my effort to do so with the full size effort was fruitless due to you buying everything! (I would've done the same if I could though)

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 08:57:14 »
I certain the CM quickfire will win the popularity contest. I can give you info on the controller when I have time.

Thank you, but...

I can send you a QFR controller. I plan on using the case of one of mine for a Phantom, so it will go unused. Think of it as my way to help after my effort to do so with the full size effort was fruitless due to you buying everything! (I would've done the same if I could though)

this sounds even better. That might just pay for a Filco full size controller for yourself =)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 09:23:29 »
this sounds even better. That might just pay for a Filco full size controller for yourself =)
Wooo! I'll PM you in a bit.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 09:30:15 »
I can send you either a controller alone, or the PCB and controller of a Rosewill RK-9000. I think quite a few people have those now. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 10:21:13 »
I can send you either a controller alone, or the PCB and controller of a Rosewill RK-9000. I think quite a few people have those now. :)

That would be great =) I think I should only be needing the controller. I can't promise you'll have it back next day though..

I also started filling in an existing wiki page on controllers over at DT http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 10:36:10 »
You can keep it; I have plenty. :D

That's a nice thing you're doing with the wiki page.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:18:46 »
F***ing finally it works =D After skewering the Teensy++ LED off with a knife (that things has ever only been causing trouble =P), transposing the matrix all possible ways, chasing 0x/0b-bugs, coffee, candy. loud music, complete silence...
11625-0

I haven't tested the LEDs yet though, and my intention is to use an ATmega32u2 instead of the Teensy++ AT90USB1286. I've got a couple of ATmega32u2 development board coming in from ebay, any day now...
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:21:42 by bpiphany »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:25:40 »
I don't know how many others would be interested, but I would die for G80-3000 and 1800 controller board replacements that offered at least 6KRO to update my old winkeyless AT/PS2 boards.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:52:14 »
I don't know how many others would be interested, but I would die for G80-3000 and 1800 controller board replacements that offered at least 6KRO to update my old winkeyless AT/PS2 boards.

Link me images! =)
  • What does the original controller look like?
  • How it is mounted?
  • How much room is there in the case?
  • Is the original controller PS2 or USB?
  • Are there a connector on the PCB for the cable that would be nice to reuse?

If there is no connector for a USB already, it may be a good solution to simply drop a Teensy in there. If there is room in the case. A Teensy also is a good small scale solution. You need at least a fairly large number to justify designing a custom daughter board.

Documenting matrices and pin configurations for all sorts of keyboards is of course an honorable task in itself. Writing Teensyfication guides and firmwares for them =)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:22:26 »
•What does the original controller look like? Can't find good photos online, will take some later... they are unneccissarily large seperate controller pcb almost 1/3 the size of the entire keyboard, it attach to switch pcb with ribbon cable some soldered, some socket.
•How it is mounted? It clips into the bottom of the case body
•How much room is there in the case? Lots
•Is the original controller PS2 or USB? PS/2 though some are old enough to be XT/AT switchable
•Are there a connector on the PCB for the cable that would be nice to reuse? No, cable is soldered direct on most of mine that I would want to replace.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:17:51 »
If there was a QFR replacement controller, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:52:42 »
Very interested in a Rosewill replacement controller. I'd also be interested in a QFR replacement controller if I didn't already have a Phantom :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 21:51:53 »
I've also been considering starting a wiki page on controllers to collect info on their physical appearance, pinout, compatibility with main boards.
this is an incredibly good idea. volunteers to help bp maintain this?

ps, PM samwisekoi for wiki accounts

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:54:17 »
GeekHack used to have a poor wiki with a lot of quality content. The wiki may be better now, but the content is pretty poor instead =P I think managing one wiki is work enough. But I bet someone will be keeping a slightly out of date copy over here as well =D

I was hoping to use the ATmega32u2 running on the internal 8MHz oscillator, but according to the datasheet it is not good enough to comply with high-speed USB specifications. The ATmega32u4 can be configured to be a low-speed USB device, but it looks like that is rather unique to that chip... I think the 32u2 is factory set to run from the internal oscillator though, and then I would like to know how they know the bootloader will run fine =P

Anyway I got one of these spiffy ATmega32u2 development boards. I tested my prototype first without changing anything on the chip, only downloading the (re-compiled) firmware that was working on the Teensy++. And presto everything seemed to work =)

After that I changed the fuses to have it run on the internal oscillator instead. I also had to upload a new bootloader since that was toasted in the changes to the fuses. I re-configured the firmware for 8MHz operation, recompiled and downloaded it to the chip. And no presto, nothing was working any more =P

So I spent several hours trying to figure out what had gone wrong without any luck. Finally the next day I had the idea to flash the chip with the serial programmer instead of the bootloader. And lo and behold, everything was working just fine with the internal oscillator at 8MHz. So there is something funky with my 8MHz DFU bootloader build.. And after that I also read about that non-compliance with high-speed USB... So back to square one - I need to fit some sort of external clock source onto the board. Nothing impossible though I suppose =)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 01:15:36 by bpiphany »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:12:23 »
jdcarpe kindly sent me a Rosewill (worlds largest envelope) for investigation. I would say it is 200% obvious it is the same company making them as the Filcos.

The pin configuration is identical to the full size Filco (the distance between the header rows is different though =P), the matrix is equal, the PCB revision numbers are of the same format, and the color coding dots of the Holtek microprocessor are there (someone should figure those out...).

Edit: almost true, the non-matrix/matrix pins have actually been swapped around somewhat..

Open these links in one tab each and swap back and forth... The tenkeyless Filco is actually the same as well. The pins are arranged a bit different, but the matrix is really the same.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Pinout_and_matrix
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Pinout_and_matrix_4
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:14:14 by bpiphany »

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:08:25 »
Is this possible for Leopold?

My warranty expires next month. I can pop it open and trace the matrix then, if it's worth the trouble.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:19:08 »
BP, do you have a QFR yet? i'm happy to hunt one down for you if not. that and the rosewill are probably the most popular boards on the.. well, board.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 00:44:23 »
BP do you want me to mail you my WASD controller? I don't have any use for it since mine broke. Maybe you could just use it for science? Idk how to package it safely though.
I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 05:36:39 »
I'm going to be sending bpiphany a QFR. I apologize for how long it's taking me to send it, but life has been taking me on one busy ride after the next these days. I will be sending it this Saturday, without a doubt.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 04:23:42 »
I've been busy with a lot of stuff lately (also playing way too much Candy Crush Saga...). I appreciate getting controller sent to me, and mapping them out adding them to the wiki doesn't take a whole lot of time. I'm falling behind on the designing phase though. I think I'm starting to be pretty happy with the full Filco controller at least =)

I fit all the components are on the bottom side, like on the original. The Rosewill controller is very similar, but even narrower. That one may become more of a challenge...
13559-0

Is this possible for Leopold?

My warranty expires next month. I can pop it open and trace the matrix then, if it's worth the trouble.

If I remember correctly the Leopold has the controller directly on the main PCB, there is no daughter board. Meaning you'd have to swap the whole thing Phantom style. Tracing the matrix could still be interesting for the knowledge database if you're up for it =)

BP do you want me to mail you my WASD controller? I don't have any use for it since mine broke. Maybe you could just use it for science? Idk how to package it safely though.

And the same goes for the WASD boards. According to the only images I could find, there is no daughter board. I may be completely wrong on that though, since I didn't find many pictures.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 05:08:28 »
What you're doing is great bpiphany. I give you my sincere thanks

From the pictures I've seen, the rosewill controller has some room to breath.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/WhiteFireDragon/Keyboard2/IMG_1401.jpg

While it may be narrow, you should be able to make it quite long and attach any wider components at the end.
(Not to say that'll be terribly easy)

Offline nullstring

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 06:00:59 »

And the same goes for the WASD boards. According to the only images I could find, there is no daughter board. I may be completely wrong on that though, since I didn't find many pictures.

Actually, according to these pictures, there is definitely a daughter board. A rather large one with a large unpopulated area.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33097.0
http://i.imgur.com/JDife.gif

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 08:16:06 »

Actually, according to these pictures, there is definitely a daughter board. A rather large one with a large unpopulated area.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33097.0
http://i.imgur.com/JDife.gif

Ohh, look at that =) I saw the same picture, only in a lot worse quality. I thought the female header on the main board was an IC =P

And that is still one of those Holtek chips. If someone learns how to program those, there will be no more need for any replacement  controllers... http://www.holtek.com.tw/english/docum/computer/82k94x.htm

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 10:41:12 »
the holtek controllers have generally been masked, write-once models. the only option would be to replace it with another write-once or an equivalent pinout eeprom chip. iirc i did a quick search for the holtek parts though and they are not readily available from the usual low MOQ suppliers

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 04:11:21 »
the holtek controllers have generally been masked, write-once models. the only option would be to replace it with another write-once or an equivalent pinout eeprom chip. iirc i did a quick search for the holtek parts though and they are not readily available from the usual low MOQ suppliers
I didn't realize they were one-shot flashing.. I thought the only thing missing was an interface on the pcb to talk to the chip. No luck there then, replacement controllers are still in business =) Replacing the holtek chip on the controller probably is harder than building a completely new one...

What you're doing is great bpiphany. I give you my sincere thanks
While it may be narrow, you should be able to make it quite long and attach any wider components at the end.
(Not to say that'll be terribly easy)
Thank you too =D This is the way they are already made http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Rosewill I may just need to realize tracks do not need to be very wide at all. I try to make them as wide and straight as possible. In reality I have no idea what would be the minimum acceptable width or spacing =)

Also, let me present The Kitten Paw =D
13609-0

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 04:22:37 »
I'm going to be sending bpiphany a QFR. I apologize for how long it's taking me to send it, but life has been taking me on one busy ride after the next these days. I will be sending it this Saturday, without a doubt.

I received it a couple of days ago, almost in one piece.. (esoomenona sent the whole PCB with switches, plate, and caps). The pause key had been knocked during transport and decapitated the switch stem. I dug out the stem from the cap, de-soldered the switch and put a new stem in. All good again =) Then while probing the pins I accidentally shorted two of them, and popped the "win_lock" LED. That was spectacular, flash and bang =P I'll dig out some 3mm LEDs later to replace it...

Anyway the matrix and dimensions are up here CM_Storm_Quick_Fire_Rapid And again it looks to me like it is exactly the same as the Filco matrices. There are a few swapped rows and columns, but that is isomorph up to my labeling of the pins. I haven't traced them back to where they actually end up on the Holtek chip.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 08:51:20 »
not that surprising considering they're both costar sourced. good deal.

shocking re: the led. were you probing the pins with a car battery? :P

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:08:05 »
I accidentally shorted pins 5 and 7 with my multimeter probe, bypassing the 510Ω resistor usually in series with the LED when it is on. That made it pop pretty fast... My multimeter is fancy enough to have frequency and duty time measurements. Which makes it possible to figure out which pins are what. It's easier with the oscilloscope, but it isn't quite as handy to carry around =)

What surprises med slightly is that they didn't simplify the matrix when they switched to double sided PCBs (the Rosewill and CM are still single though). They more or less only changed all jumpers they had into traces on the top side. The 8x18 may perhaps be the optimal matrix dimensions to write the firware for, I don't know. The firmware still has to be slightly different from board to board since this one has media keys for instance. They actually all send media keys on matrix locations that aren't connected to any key. I left them out of the table since they aren't actually there. I see I left the numpad keys this time though =)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:56:42 »
the matrix design probably has to do with how many OTP holtek controllers they have lying around. the MOQ on them, especially masked OTP, seems to be very large. i would not be surprised if the firmware is basically the same for all of these, with a very small region that they can flash into to set things like scancodes for multimedia keys.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 08:16:04 »
Very exciting progress.. makes the qfr so much more attractive.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:13:26 »
Very exciting progress.. makes the qfr so much more attractive.

x2. patiently waiting for this to be available for my rosewill's

Offline eracer

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 23:36:50 »
I'm liking this, I will definitely be in for at least one QFR.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:44:19 »
How's QFR going?
I love Elzy

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:57:44 »
I've been busy blending in at my new job. Learning PHP/HTML/CSS/SQL and all that stuff you don't learn as a theoretical computer scientist.. =P

I have started to poke around at the QFR controller again, and I hope to finish it sometime soonish =)

In the process I found that all the 16AMHz oscillators are 3.3V so I changed the design for the full size Filco controller to use a crystal instead. I was planning to order the PCBs for both of the controllers at the same time. So I need to finish the QFR.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 00:37:11 »
shocking! you should be quite familiar with the principles of sql, good sir. structured queries and logic programming are the core of discrete TCS. that said, if you're a STOC/FOCS and not a SODA guy, i am quite sad that you're being forced into the horrors of the practical web.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 19:19:26 »
I have a Rosewill that I just ripped open, have you done any work in that direction?  I can document  :)

To start...

The controller, mounted, from left to right pins 1-18 Top and Bottom 2mm pitch.  Holtek controller is on the overhang area right of the pins.
23322-0

Dismounted.  1mm thick PCB, 17x56mm
23324-1

Misc dimensions
23330-2

There's 6.5mm before the USB connector and the finger that hits it from the case top.
23326-3

5 USB D-
6 USB D+
14 Gnd
15 Gnd
16 Gnd
17 Gnd
18 Vcc

Bottom
16 Num LED Sink
17 Caps LED Sink
18 ScrL LED Sink
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2013, 22:06:45 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 01:56:33 »
Thank you, esoomenona sent me a Rosewill some time ago now. I made an entry in the matrix wiki for it. It looks to me like we agree on the reverse engineering =) I need to get working on that one as well. There is a fair bit less room to play with on that one. I also need to replace the LED I blew up...

shocking! you should be quite familiar with the principles of sql, good sir. structured queries and logic programming are the core of discrete TCS. that said, if you're a STOC/FOCS and not a SODA guy, i am quite sad that you're being forced into the horrors of the practical web.

I'm quite fond of solving practical problems as well. That may have been obvious already.. php is actually quite nice I think. It's on for getting stuff to work, but a bit scary without type checking... I find algorithms and complexity theory very interesting in a philosophical way. I had to take a course in database theory at one point, but that one was really bland. SQL is very powerful though, and if we did anything more than our toy sized project I would probably need to pick up a book or something.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 May 2013, 01:58:17 by bpiphany »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 11:35:57 »
I think it was jd who sent the Rosewill. I sent the QFR.

I'm excited to see progress on these! WooOOoooo....

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 13:31:52 »
bp - I haven't looked inside a Filco 104, but have you considered expanding the PCB to surround the LEDs?  You could get at least 8mm (more if you're agressive) aside from the 3 holes for the LEDs to poke through.

ed: crud... just noticed the screw hole as well... hmmm
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:31:43 »
The full size Filco is not a problem. I've got that down I think. That is the Kitten Paw above. I replaced the oscillator with a crystal since that picture. The Rosewill controller is narrower.

The last days I have been working on my firmware instead. I am quite pleased with my progress. I am going to keep it as simple as possible. Other people are writing advanced firmwares. Mine will be more like a tutorial. https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/simple_keyboard

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:37:51 »
* SmallFry claims beta testing the QFR controllers! :P

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:41:32 »
You don't even have a PCB!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:43:30 »
Do too! I have 2 QFR's!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:48:22 »
Something is starting to take shape =)

23678-0

Offline gnubag

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:05:20 »
oh my god. it looks so gooooood.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:08:35 »
Oh... '32U2... shame, it has fewer endpoints :(