Author Topic: Project X - Building The Ultimate Keyboard Case?  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Project X - Building The Ultimate Keyboard Case?
« on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:16:09 »
So, you may have noticed I have a few projects on the go at the moment, and for that I am sorry, I am out of games, maybe when the DayZ standalone comes out or Battlefield 4 and ever Company of Hero's 2. Moving swiftly on!

So I saw someones awesome looking metal case for their keyboard, and for the life of me I can't remember who's (they had 2, looked like poker chip cases?) [REAPER! IT WAS REAPER, cheers Dgsbllx] anyway I would like to credit them! And  I thought to my self ♫...What a wonderful world...♪. But no, seriously I thought why not build myself one? I had a brilliant idea, which I hope you guys enjoy!

So I am going to start with this...
12012-0
A ammunition box for 105mm HOW (Which I presume is the 105mm Howitzer but of that I cannot be sure, feel free to correct me!) Christ knows where I got this, its been in my other room for years, all I know is I own it :D

My plan is to clean it up, not aesthetically because I think it looks bad-ass, but on the inside  of general crud, then glue in some foam and see what you guys think! Hopefully the most awesome Keyboard Case Ever! If there is a more awesome case please tell me, so I can go and destroy it!

>> MOAR IMAGES <<
Inside
12023-1
I hope you enjoy this Project and I appreciate any support, you guys have been great to me so far!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:47:18 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Project X - Building The Ultimate Keyboard Case?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:16:29 »
Day2:
Foam has been ordered! I don't know if it will arrive on Monday, but it should be here by Tuesday at the latest!
Day3:
So much sanding, you can look at some more images later on in the thread!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:42:00 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:19:46 »
I have a few of these in the garage but they are more box shaped than this. Isn't it crazy heavy?
It will make for one heck of a keyboard case though  :))

I'm sure it was reaper who used the poker chip case

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:21:41 »
This is going to be epic. Best of luck!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:36:48 »
I have a few of these in the garage but they are more box shaped than this. Isn't it crazy heavy?
It will make for one heck of a keyboard case though  :))

I'm sure it was reaper who used the poker chip case

Oh course it was reaper! Cheers and yeah, it weighs a tonne!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:46:04 »
You should make a plate and a case out of that. Your keyboard will then double as free weights.  :p

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Rapid's Whitewidow mod was really cool so I have high hopes for this one as well.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:47:53 »
You should make a plate and a case out of that. Your keyboard will then double as free weights.  :p

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Rapid's Whitewidow mod was really cool so I have high hopes for this one as well.
Haha! Although I don't think you know quite how long it is, ill take a picture now :D.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:50:07 »

Haha! Although I don't think you know quite how long it is, ill take a picture now :D.

If it's that long, obviously you use the remainder to create a badass custom desk for you room (from your other thread).

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:02:50 »

If it's that long, obviously you use the remainder to create a badass custom desk for you room (from your other thread).

Haha! Although its not that big eaither :D let me recharge my camera and ill get a photo :D

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:46:49 »
I also use a poker chip box. I took out the chip part, and put in a piece of foam. I'll have to take a picture at some point.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:48:25 »
I also use a poker chip box. I took out the chip part, and put in a piece of foam. I'll have to take a picture at some point.
Sounds awesome! I was thinking exactly along those lines, but my full sized keyboard was too big D:

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:03:56 »

Finally got around to taking that photo!
12029-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:49:18 »

(Attachment Link)

I seriously misunderstood what you meant by case. I thought you meant a case like this.

Still badass though. Gotta love that military theme.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 06:47:01 »

(Attachment Link)

I seriously misunderstood what you meant by case. I thought you meant a case like this.

Still badass though. Gotta love that military theme.

OH! Right! Sorry :D Yeah :) Glad you understand, sorry for making less obvious!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 08:09:11 »
This is going to be epic. Best of luck!
Sorry never noticed your comment, cheers :D

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:39:31 »

This sounds like a freaking sweet project and can't wait to see how this comes out, I'm here if you need advice for anything!:)
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:48:02 »
So after a couple of hour sanding session, i have roughed up the base so whatever adhesive I use will grip better, and I made a good start on one of the sides, each end is rubber so that wont be sanded, but there is a whole other side which I am not looking forward too either :( Also I cleaned up on of the warning logos, because it wasn't previously legible...and now it is!
12120-0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:51:14 »
U.K Government Explosive (Just encase you don't know who is shelling you :D)
12122-0

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:59:48 »
(Attachment Link)

Are you planning to paint it?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 13:35:28 »
(Attachment Link)

Are you planning to paint it?
Oh yeah, cheers for the support before :D (I enjoyed your mod too) And no, I like the "rugged" & "military" feel. I am planning on completely stripping down the inside though and shinning it up, although I don't have any experience shining Aluminum.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:54:50 »
Quick picture-less update, one of thè hinges was rusted to hell, so I WD-40'd the crap out of it and not it works nearly as well as the other one :) Yey!

Just looking for any advice as to how I should go about making the Aluminium shiny? Cheers guys!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:55:32 »
Interesting.  Don't know that I'd want to lug it around to a LAN party, although it would be a great conversation piece :)

MOAR pictures please, there's a good chap :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:00:22 »
Interesting.  Don't know that I'd want to lug it around to a LAN party, although it would be a great conversation piece :)

Haha :D I would love to take it too land just for the banter :D More pictures up soon :D

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:11:12 »

MOAR pictures, although you  didn't specify what off, so here is le dog, and le foot :D
12192-0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:14:41 »
Now for actual pictures :D
Got my hands on a power tool, so much more sanding, and alot better and alot faster! Nearly done sanding now! Hopefully foam should be here tomorrow!
12194-0

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:15:26 »
Awesome! I really hope you'll be putting more than one keyboard in this! :D
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:18:39 »
And
12196-0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:19:57 »
Awesome! I really hope you'll be putting more than one keyboard in this! :D

I shall have to buy more than one keyboard first D:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:39:14 »
How about a list of dimensions and the "stripped bare" weight of this beast?

Talk about overkill, I think that you should cut several layers of keyboard-thickness foam and cut rectangular holes for the keyboards to insert into. Then alternate layers of solid foam and inserted keyboard layers.

Looks like you could fit 2 end-to-end and go 3 high in stacks.

Finally, a solid reason for detachable cables.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:43:27 »
How about a list of dimensions and the "stripped bare" weight of this beast?

Talk about overkill, I think that you should cut several layers of keyboard-thickness foam and cut rectangular holes for the keyboards to insert into. Then alternate layers of solid foam and inserted keyboard layers.

Looks like you could fit 2 end-to-end and go 3 high in stacks.

Finally, a solid reason for detachable cables.

Hmm well I'm currently lying in bed with my ipad (wish it was my "girlfriend" or something but sadly not, anyhow it was approx 6"x33"x11"

I like the keyboard cut out idea, but I am not fully sure about how to cut foam, again this is something I can look into when it arrives, which should hopefully be tomorrow :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:50:58 »
At furniture shops, etc, they do it with a hot wire, but if it were me, I would use a very sharp knife and a metal straightedge.

If it is more than an inch or two thick, it will be very hard for an amateur to get a clean cut.

Maybe take it to an upholstery shop?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:55:37 »
At furniture shops, etc, they do it with a hot wire, but if it were me, I would use a very sharp knife and a metal straightedge.

If it is more than an inch or two thick, it will be very hard for an amateur to get a clean cut.

Maybe take it to an upholstery shop?

I know a few (that word that iPad refuses to acknowledge its existence) who I probably could ask to do it, I will wait and see what it looks like, I bought some reconstituted stuff for the under layer (shock absorber) and should proof egg shaped job for above that and on the under side of the lid. So it's just time to play the waiting game I guess, chees for your help though. :)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 12:03:04 »
MOAR Pictures :D Just arrived how to find the foam ♫ Rhyming! ♫ Anyhow will do a mock up later :D
12237-0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 12:07:44 »
12239-0

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 14:58:38 »
MOAR Pictures :D Just arrived how to find the foam ♫ Rhyming! ♫ Anyhow will do a mock up later :D
(Attachment Link)

Looking good buddy! The hot wire sounds like the best idea (and not that expensive if I remember correctly)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:44:09 »
Under layer :D
12244-0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:49:13 »
And the topping :D (Doesn't quite fit)
12246-0

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:52:11 »
Looks like a pretty easy fix.  And coming along nicely. 

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:58:09 »
Looks like a pretty easy fix.  And coming along nicely. 

Have already sorted it, simple kitchen knife to it, and sorted, just cba positing photos :D maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after :3

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:48:48 »
Fits!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:17:02 »
Argh, sanding tool broke :( No way am I doing anything else by hand :3 I think mine has nearly fallen off already AND i previously had CTS which doesn't help D: So no pictures atm but some soon ? Maybe!