Author Topic: Elitekeyboards.com  (Read 4269 times)

Offline jooks1184

Elitekeyboards.com
« on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:38:03 »
Is there a reason elitekeyboards.com is missing from the vendor list?

Offline 1839cc

Re: Elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:41:31 »
Probably. He used to be there a long time ago, but something happened and he left. I don't know what.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:26:55 »
Maybe that means business is good and he doesn't have time to write. That would be good.

Post #300!
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:29:17 »
Yeah, it would be nice to hear his plans on what he intends to get in stock and any future plans he has.  Still waiting on him to start selling the Leopold 700.

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 02:58:32 »
The only new thing i've seen on his site is the double shot Esc keys.

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:26:01 »

We were the first vendor to have a forum; previously I had posted under the name "majestouch." The biggest perk was people would laud EK for interacting closely with the community, and this praise was good advertising, but after a while I found there was a big downside. I think the forum lasted for about a year before I asked iMav to remove it.

So, the downside....I *really* respect transparency and openness in others and I tried my best to earn that respect from the community, but there are always critics, and I ran into trouble when it came balancing the confidentialities required of running a business and my efforts. Often people would not believe me, or not respect me...simply because they could. A few particular arguments ensued over that year I was here and the biggest difficulty of it all wasn't about figuring out who was right or wrong or who's ego would break first, but because everyone here is anonymous - and EK isn't, we were at a big disadvantage.

We had a great amount of support from the majority here, but the critics, being anonymous, could perch themselves vociferously on very precarious arguments that would stalemate and drag threads into the dirt, people had nothing to lose and could say whatever they wanted to us. My feeling was, we ended up being relegated to a public position of "Yes'um!" and "Yes sir!"

EK was created as a great opportunity to mix my interest in entrepreneurship with my appreciation for excellent typing devices. I had the experience and connections to convince Asian manufacturers that had zero interest in the US market at the time to give Western markets a chance; something others who tried were not able to do. And I want my contributions to the market and to keyboard communities to continue to be something that others cannot provide. So, if at any point I have to just become a left to right dealer that can contribute nothing more than "At your service ma'am!"...I will lose the passion to continue this business.

Anyways, I'm always around, despite rumors to the contrary;) And if you'd like me to comment on a thread you can always PM me or email sales@elitekeyboards.com

tl;dr -------- Having a forum here makes me feel like I'm in the service biz because everyone here is anonymous and can say whatever they want without recourse. It's a passionless endeavor.

P.S. New stuff IS on the way:)  ...(edited for grammar, doh, distractions...)
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 20:28:49 by elitekeyboards »

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:30:49 »
Thanks EK for posting. I always wondered that myself but figured you weren't involved with the community. It's good to see you still lurk though, if only to see what people want.

It's always a few bad eggs that ruin the fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store!
My WTB/WTT Thread!
Looking for CC's!

Offline jabar

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:34:14 »
Get some FC700Rs in stock thanks
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Online missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:55:05 »
Derp.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 15:10:31 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK9087G2 PRO TKL PBT | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Leopold FC700R Graphite | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Realforce 87U 55G

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline jabar

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:59:01 »
And Ducky Shine 2 with MX Clears :)
Well, considering that the Ducky distributor is not EK, that's unlikely.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Online missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 15:10:13 »
And Ducky Shine 2 with MX Clears :)
Well, considering that the Ducky distributor is not EK, that's unlikely.

Derp, just realized I confused EK with mechanicalkeyboards.com >.<

Definitely would like to see some FC700Rs for sure, especially in graphite.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK9087G2 PRO TKL PBT | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Leopold FC700R Graphite | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Realforce 87U 55G

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 15:18:02 »
Elite keyboards has ALWAYS been wonderful in dealing with me. I will continue to do business with them and it is a shame that he left the forum.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 18:00:24 »
Elite keyboards has ALWAYS been wonderful in dealing with me. I will continue to do business with them and it is a shame that he left the forum.

I second this!

Hope to see some Leopold tenkeypads too.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Big and Strong But Gentle
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 18:08:30 »
I bought a keyboard from EK once and the entire transaction was excellent.

My problem is that I love my collection of Reagan-era keyboards that will last longer than I will - not a good model for "somebody else's" business!
curmudgeon - and my Model F keyboards prove it

Online rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 18:29:08 »
<snip>
P.S. New stuff are on the way:)

Oh noes!  Cue CC speculation thread in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
... to force the flat horseshoe-style cherry on the date of the first pillar of the keycaps ...

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black

Is this even necessary?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 21:24:19 »
I bought a keyboard from EK once and the entire transaction was excellent.

My problem is that I love my collection of Reagan-era keyboards that will last longer than I will - not a good model for "somebody else's" business!

Well, it'd be great for them if they sold parts.. especially the hard to find ones. Sure there's a lot of competition, but someone with NEW M13 molds? With the engineering changes I lust for? Would send SO MANY PEOPLE THERE.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK9008G2 Pro (PBT / Greens), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 22:27:35 »

We were the first vendor to have a forum; previously I had posted under the name "majestouch." The biggest perk was people would laud EK for interacting closely with the community, and this praise was good advertising, but after a while I found there was a big downside. I think the forum lasted for about a year before I asked iMav to remove it.

So, the downside....I *really* respect transparency and openness in others and I tried my best to earn that respect from the community, but there are always critics, and I ran into trouble when it came balancing the confidentialities required of running a business and my efforts. Often people would not believe me, or not respect me...simply because they could. A few particular arguments ensued over that year I was here and the biggest difficulty of it all wasn't about figuring out who was right or wrong or who's ego would break first, but because everyone here is anonymous - and EK isn't, we were at a big disadvantage.

We had a great amount of support from the majority here, but the critics, being anonymous, could perch themselves vociferously on very precarious arguments that would stalemate and drag threads into the dirt, people had nothing to lose and could say whatever they wanted to us. My feeling was, we ended up being relegated to a public position of "Yes'um!" and "Yes sir!"

EK was created as a great opportunity to mix my interest in entrepreneurship with my appreciation for excellent typing devices. I had the experience and connections to convince Asian manufacturers that had zero interest in the US market at the time to give Western markets a chance; something others who tried were not able to do. And I want my contributions to the market and to keyboard communities to continue to be something that others cannot provide. So, if at any point I have to just become a left to right dealer that can contribute nothing more than "At your service ma'am!"...I will lose the passion to continue this business.

Anyways, I'm always around, despite rumors to the contrary;) And if you'd like me to comment on a thread you can always PM me or email sales@elitekeyboards.com

tl;dr -------- Having a forum here makes me feel like I'm in the service biz because everyone here is anonymous and can say whatever they want without recourse. It's a passionless endeavor.

P.S. New stuff IS on the way:)  ...(edited for grammar, doh, distractions...)

This is actually quite a reasonable explanation, one that I could see myself making if I were mixing a hobby with business. If there's one thing I've learned by working with people, it's that the customer is NOT always right. In fact, the customer is wrong much of the time.
"We are sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a revolution."

Offline Vintage

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 09:27:50 »
Yeah I heard EK has good service too.

Ans I would love to see the Leopold tenkeypads as well. And the FC700rs would be nice too.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Steelseries Sensei RAW

Offline shibbyllama889

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:53:00 »
Just wanted to echo that I had a great experience with EliteKeyboards and Brian was more than willing to answer any question I had, even before I placed an order. Once I convince myself to finally give in to the HHKB, I'll be picking it up from EK.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕᴥʔ
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 23:04:40 »
HHKB Pro 2 dropped to 270?
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕᴥʔ
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:58:00 »

I didn't see a newsletter for this.  What is the point in signing up for one?
Looks like its just a sale. It got me thinking about dropping the money to pick one up finally though. Someone convince me. I already love 60%. Why this over my pure or a poker?
Having a bad day?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • The distant smell
    • Bingecap
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:16:56 »

Looks like its just a sale. It got me thinking about dropping the money to pick one up finally though. Someone convince me. I already love 60%. Why this over my pure or a poker?

I would never suggest these, but its because I am a PURE fan/have a mediocre view of topre keys.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Discuss Geekhack East!

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕᴥʔ
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:28:47 »

I would never suggest these, but its because I am a PURE fan/have a mediocre view of topre keys.
Dont get me wrong, i LOVE my Pure. I also may like an hhkb, just never tried a topre key before.
Having a bad day?

Online daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:55:23 »
Even though EK is pretty much the only Topre distributor in the US, they'd have my business even if they weren't prompt, informative, and overall a joy to do business with.

CODE Clears 104
Previous boards: RealForce 55g 87UB | RealForce 45g 87UB | HHKB 2 PRO | Leopold FC660C | Filco MJ2 87 (Browns and Blacks) | CM QFR (Blues and Reds) | Filco MJ2  Linear-R | Poker (Reds, Browns, Blacks, Ergo Clears) | Dell AT101W | Matias TP3
Other:  Zowie EC1 CL | DeathAdder 2013 | MS-3 | Rival | Taipan | Sensei | G400 | IE 3.0 | RAT 7 | Kinzu 2 | Perf MX | Imperator | SS Cata | G500 | Apple Magic Mouse | Kensington Slimblade

SmallFry, 1996-2013. 'Till next time, homie.
I write code for Stack Exchange. Please buy some of my crap.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 12:35:31 »
+1 for EK. Their leather palm rests are very nice.
Noppoo TANK (MX Black) | Das Keyboard Ultimate (MX Blue) | IBM Model M 1395100 (Buckling Spring) | IBM KUM6323 (Rubber Dome) | SWintec 1200 (Manual Typewriter)

Offline digi

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:51:40 »
I bought a Filco from EK back when they were in stock and the transaction was perfect and fast.

Best of luck to you and EK.

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:45:11 »

I put items on sale about week before I send out a newsletter...for less than obvious reasons. The HHKB price drop is due to the big change in JPY/USD exchange rate over the last month; if it stabilizes it's going to mean better prices on everything made in Japan in the coming months.

Online sordna

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 21:11:05 »
@elitekeyboards
Do you plan to stock the FC660M and when?  Also do you have any say in Leopold's designs? It's a sweet compact keyboard but sorely lacks 2 extra keys (for PgUp and PgDn) especially given it has the empty space in the right hand side. It's a crying shame they didn't add either PgUp/PdDn or Home/End as dedicated keys, even though there is plenty of space to accomodate 2 more keys :-(

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2013, 21:12:50 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Contoured Model 110, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, KBC Poker (Cherry MX Red), IBM Space Saving keyboard (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 00:14:49 »
@elitekeyboards
Do you plan to stock the FC660M and when?  Also do you have any say in Leopold's designs? It's a sweet compact keyboard but sorely lacks 2 extra keys (for PgUp and PgDn) especially given it has the empty space in the right hand side. It's a crying shame they didn't add either PgUp/PdDn or Home/End as dedicated keys, even though there is plenty of space to accomodate 2 more keys :-(

I haven't seen a hard release date for the 660 yet, but I've made mistakes in the past about choosing to carry certain products, so I'm very careful about new ones these days...Unfortunately I didn't have any input on it. I saw some early ideas from Leopold on this board, but they were quite different. Why they went the way that they did I haven't asked yet, but it looks pretty final, so this is probably what it will be. I do like the LED on Insert, since it really is a lock key, but  I have a feeling the usefulness of the key for Korean typists is much greater than it is for English typists.

I did actually have a bit of input into the design of the FC700, the sharp corners, the Fn, Menu, and Media key functionality, and the arrangement of the Media functions mirroring Apple keyboards. Ironic considering we still don't carry it...

Online eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 18:32:31 »
I'm a loyal EK customer, and so far I've bought 4 very expensive keyboards from you, and lots of other expensive stuff, and I look forward to buying more in the future.

So I am asking as a repeat customer:

1.  Get some FC700R's already!

and

2.  Try to convince Topre to make a replacement set of keycaps in Lavender!

and

3.  Get moar Click Clacks!

Thank you.

LOL, this is probably the kind of post that made EK leave the forum, but oh well.  I want to buy this stuff!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.