Author Topic: Top row of my QFR stopped working. Time to buy a filco?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Top row of my QFR stopped working. Time to buy a filco?
« on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:42:25 »
So today i plugged in my QFR for the first time in a bit. Top row wasnt working. none of the qwertyuiop keys were working.
I took it apart looking for anything abnormal, nothing from what i could see was out of place.

have any of you encountered this problem? Is there any way to fix it? Or should I just buy a filco tkl?
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Top row of my QFR stopped working. Time to buy a filco?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:44:52 »
You should buy a Ducky YoTD with a partial CCnG set and a handful of novelty keys on it.

On the try to repair it side, could be a trace that's broken.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:47:15 »
You should buy a Ducky YoTD with a partial CCnG set and a handful of novelty keys on it.

Ducky's are awesomme boards, and the logo is a duck!

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:48:22 »

That was another one I was looking at. I suppose i should provide links of my choices.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=185
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Linear-Keyboard-FKBN104MRL/dp/B008BG5906/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360277278&sr=1-13&keywords=Filco+mx+reds
Having a bad day?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:52:01 »
Sigh, no one wants my YoTD it seems.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:52:23 »

That was another one I was looking at. I suppose i should provide links of my choices.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=185
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Linear-Keyboard-FKBN104MRL/dp/B008BG5906/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360277278&sr=1-13&keywords=Filco+mx+reds

Buy another quickfire rapid,

let's say

The odds of 1 qfr dieing is 0.1

let's say filco is 0.01

qfr + filco , both die, 0.001

qfr + qfr, both die, 0.01   =  1x filco.

The bottom option is cheaper... and your chance of failure is the same as if you bought a filco to begin with.

In reality, the chance of 2 quickfire rapid dieing would be significantly LESS than 1x filco.

Point is, ALWAYS buy the QFR NO MATTER WHAT....

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 16:58:52 »
Sigh, no one wants my YoTD it seems.

how much?

Bearing in mind that I don't have the OEM keys but it's got partial CCnG and other stuff?

I'd like $160 shipped.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 17:03:14 »
I'm going to try my hand at fixing this thing, I really don't know if i feel like dropping another 150 on a keyboard again.
What a bother
Oh and
@TP4: I wont be doing that. Cooler Master has lost my business as far as keyboards go. Its a cheap board, i get that, but there's probably a reason for that. Its not just a filco with a new case.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2013, 17:05:05 by KangarooZombies »
Having a bad day?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 17:13:24 »
First time I have heard of this on a QRF (or at all, really).  I wouldn't say it is typical of the QFR, given how popular they are.

Maybe a broken trace, as it is the entire top row.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 18:26:53 »
There was someone else who recently posted about the qwerty row going out. I think he RMAed it, so we never found out why it stopped working. I think it's a broken trace as well. Where in CA are you RooZoms?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 19:02:11 »
There are an absolute ton of QFR's going back to Amazon with this problem along with MX Blues that have no click. I've gone through multiple QFRs, three different batches, three different shipments, and every one had at least 2 keys that didn't click. So it sounds like either the defective batch is much larger and worse than CM thought, there's a new batch which is even worse, or the QC's been slashed and burned at Costar again. Even if there's a high defect rate on Cherry MX Blues, which seems to be the case, no keyboard should ever be coming out of the box with multiple switches that don't click.

Personally, I've given up. I have no confidence that I can find a QFR with 87 keys that click as they're supposed to.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 19:26:51 »
A few switches not clicking (blues/greens?) is a bit different to the whole top row not working at all, if I am understanding the problem correctly.

A couple of switches on my Ducky Shine don't click as much as they should, but the rest are fine, those keys work (register when pressed) and I am happy.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 19:45:58 »
Yet another F-beep-G QFR with many "no click" key just arrived today.

It is not only blue... Mine is a QFR with MX Green. 6 Keys not clicking.

Big disappointment!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 22:25:45 »
A few switches not clicking (blues/greens?) is a bit different to the whole top row not working at all, if I am understanding the problem correctly.

A couple of switches on my Ducky Shine don't click as much as they should, but the rest are fine, those keys work (register when pressed) and I am happy.

Uh, six is not a few. And they aren't just 'muted click' - two of them were flat out thud, absolutely no tactility at all and one of them only intermittently registered keystrokes along with the clicking.
Let me explain something to you about the facts of 'clicky' switches: the only way you ship non-clicking switches is if you're not doing proper QC. Period. Every single key on my Chicony SMK clicks. Every single key on my FK-2001's clicked without fail. The whole point of having an MX Blue is the click - even one single non-clicking switch is grounds for QC rejection, period. No exceptions, ever. If I received a Ducky with even one non-clicking switch, it would immediately be exchanged as defective, because it is.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 22:43:52 »
While what you are saying is basically true, switch QC is expected of Cherry by the KB manufacturers.  I'm thinking QC is slipping at Cherry due to the volumes they've recently had to ramp up to.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 23:27:30 »
There was someone else who recently posted about the qwerty row going out. I think he RMAed it, so we never found out why it stopped working. I think it's a broken trace as well. Where in CA are you RooZoms?
In Sac.
I'm sorta tempted just to snag all the switches off it, then toss it.
Having a bad day?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 00:44:50 »
While what you are saying is basically true, switch QC is expected of Cherry by the KB manufacturers.  I'm thinking QC is slipping at Cherry due to the volumes they've recently had to ramp up to.

Wrong. Manufacturers know full well and are advised that they MUST test switches after installation. Switches can be damaged by rough handling during installation, dirt getting in them on the production line, so on and so forth. They know they have to test the switches after installation.
Not only that, but the ONLY way you miss that many switches not clicking, much less switches that go thud and only work intermittently? Is if you didn't test any of the keys. Which means the assembled keyboard was not actually tested at all.

Is this Cooler Master's fault? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Could be they said to cut QC to meet production demand. Could be that Costar is lying to them about the QC they're performing.
This idea that Costar is some magical place that would never do anything questionable is pure delusion.

What is known is that there is no question that the latest batch of QFR's have inadequate to zero QC, are shipping with large numbers of defects that should have been caught in QC and were previously caught in QC, and are unquestionably of lower quality and reliability than previous QFRs.
That part is important. These defects are very clearly affecting batches only from about early November through all current batches. If it was a general lack of quality checking from day one, do you really, really think that we wouldn't have heard about tons of dead switches already? That there wouldn't be a steady stream of angry complaints around here from day one?
More to the point: take a QFR from say, July or August of last year. Does it have dud switches? Does it still work as it did new? The answer to those questions is probably yes. The QFR was a fine keyboard and well made.
Now take a QFR from November through today - even the low production, hard to get MX Greens are shipping with defective switches. I'd expect to find say, 10-20 keyboards in a batch of 1,000 requiring RMA or repair for various reasons even with proper QC - that's about a 1-2% failure rate. Amazon's January shipment was about 100 keyboards, and at least 30 of them have already been used for exchanges - or about a 30% failure rate.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 07:39:30 »
So what KB manufacturer do you work for?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 11:03:42 »

Wrong. Manufacturers know full well and are advised that they MUST test switches after installation. Switches can be damaged by rough handling during installation, dirt getting in them on the production line, so on and so forth. They know they have to test the switches after installation.
Not only that, but the ONLY way you miss that many switches not clicking, much less switches that go thud and only work intermittently? Is if you didn't test any of the keys. Which means the assembled keyboard was not actually tested at all.

Is this Cooler Master's fault? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Could be they said to cut QC to meet production demand. Could be that Costar is lying to them about the QC they're performing.
This idea that Costar is some magical place that would never do anything questionable is pure delusion.

What is known is that there is no question that the latest batch of QFR's have inadequate to zero QC, are shipping with large numbers of defects that should have been caught in QC and were previously caught in QC, and are unquestionably of lower quality and reliability than previous QFRs.
That part is important. These defects are very clearly affecting batches only from about early November through all current batches. If it was a general lack of quality checking from day one, do you really, really think that we wouldn't have heard about tons of dead switches already? That there wouldn't be a steady stream of angry complaints around here from day one?
More to the point: take a QFR from say, July or August of last year. Does it have dud switches? Does it still work as it did new? The answer to those questions is probably yes. The QFR was a fine keyboard and well made.
Now take a QFR from November through today - even the low production, hard to get MX Greens are shipping with defective switches. I'd expect to find say, 10-20 keyboards in a batch of 1,000 requiring RMA or repair for various reasons even with proper QC - that's about a 1-2% failure rate. Amazon's January shipment was about 100 keyboards, and at least 30 of them have already been used for exchanges - or about a 30% failure rate.

How do you know they bought 100 keyboards?? and how do you know there were 30 exchanges?

Offline schizrade

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 11:07:19 »
Mine did the same thing, so I unplugged the cord from the board, blew it out and plugged it back in nice and tight. Works now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 11:15:10 »
Mine did the same thing, so I unplugged the cord from the board, blew it out and plugged it back in nice and tight. Works now.

did you blow into the switch? or just the board surface.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 12:55:13 »
I think he blew into the usb plug receptacle... & this wouldn't be the first time people have had issues from not plugging in the cord completely.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 15:53:22 »
Tried this several times lol. No result.
Having a bad day?

Offline babyhands

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 15:57:05 »
I have a TKL, brand new condition Leopold TKL keyboard with red switches if youre interested

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 17:22:19 »

How do you know they bought 100 keyboards?? and how do you know there were 30 exchanges?

To give you an idea, we sold over 500pcs of QFR during this duration (we had a special promotion running), and only ~0.5% units were reported thus far by Amazon to have some issue (not all were the same).

We are still investigating these issues and we deeply apologize for any inconvenience. I can assure you, we are in constant communication with our HQ and our distributors, trying to figure out what exactly is going on.

Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline CoolerMasterUSA

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 11:38:09 »
Hi all,

We sincerely apologize for any trouble   :(. Anybody having trouble with any of our keyboards are advised to contact us directly so we can get the keyboards replaced.  The keyboards come with 2 years of warranty for any type of functional issue such as this.

http://livehelp.coolermaster.com/chat.php  would be the method of contact.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2013, 11:40:23 by CoolerMasterUSA »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:01:40 »
Hi all,

We sincerely apologize for any trouble   :(. Anybody having trouble with any of our keyboards are advised to contact us directly so we can get the keyboards replaced.  The keyboards come with 2 years of warranty for any type of functional issue such as this.

http://livehelp.coolermaster.com/chat.php  would be the method of contact.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Fantastic vendor/community interaction :)