Author Topic: Yet another CM QFR with no clicking keys - report yours :-)  (Read 20581 times)

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
Re: Yet another CM QFR with no clicking keys - report yours :-)
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 11:56:37 »
Hi everyone,

I just want to clarify something real quick.... we have NO CONTROL over CherryMX Greens because they are a special made-to-order batch. Remember, they were originally intended just for space bar use and very few vendors were actually supplying green switch keyboards. We've since increased our focus on Green for upcoming models, so therefore we can command more of a QC from Cherry's production line. 

As far as our customer service goes, I've been reading about how poor some people have been treated in the past and have been actively working on my end to fix that. I am trying to help everyone I can within the limitations of available stock.

Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 12:11:04 »
Hi everyone,

I just want to clarify something real quick.... we have NO CONTROL over CherryMX Greens because they are a special made-to-order batch. Remember, they were originally intended just for space bar use and very few vendors were actually supplying green switch keyboards. We've since increased our focus on Green for upcoming models, so therefore we can command more of a QC from Cherry's production line. 

As far as our customer service goes, I've been reading about how poor some people have been treated in the past and have been actively working on my end to fix that. I am trying to help everyone I can within the limitations of available stock.

Rajiv,

can you comment on the numerous articles from CES that claimed CM has some sort of exclusivity with regards to distribution of MX Greens? Also, are you claiming that you guys aren't QCing the boards when they are assembled to check for defective switches?

Cheers.
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 12:58:52 »
Hi there,

We have discussed with Cherry on putting more emphasis on Green, and due to their limited production, we will most likely be the exclusive distributor in the US. There are obviously some vendors who still have access to limited quantities but not to the scale we are aiming to bring. Also, our established channels in the US give us added exposure. 

An example of our efforts to educate the general public on Green switches:
http://techreport.com/review/24461/a-first-look-at-cherry-mx-green-key-switches

We are extremely focused on building out the mechanical keyboard community with education.

As far as QC goes, we do absolutely check our keyboards and switches at the factory level.
I am actually in the process of learning our whole process so I can maybe share these details with you.

Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 18:50:35 »
If CM gets exclusivity on Green in NA... The price for Duckys with green will skyrocket.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 19:33:20 »
If CM gets exclusivity on Green in NA... The price for Duckys with green will skyrocket.

It won't be real exclusivity, the point they're making is that CM has bought up almost all the production for Greens, thus creating a sort of "scarcity" of the switch. CM will have a lot of boards that feature it, but other manufacturers will have a hard time finding any. Just like how Logitech bought up the majority of the mx brown production.

Cheers,

Offline omgFiRE

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 10:45:09 »
Feel free to report your QFR incident

My QFR (mx blue) has 2 keys with clicking problem. That's not the end of the world catastrophe, but it would be nice, if CM include several spare switches in theirs blue/green keyboards for manual resoldering by end user :-)
White Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EFW2 (Cherry MX Brown), CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCL1-US (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 11:18:35 »
Mine click. Whats up?
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 17:06:25 »
It won't be real exclusivity, the point they're making is that CM has bought up almost all the production for Greens, thus creating a sort of "scarcity" of the switch. CM will have a lot of boards that feature it, but other manufacturers will have a hard time finding any. Just like how Logitech bought up the majority of the mx brown production.

Switches are not like diamonds. Cherry would be crazy not to increase its production to match the demand.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:09:11 »

Switches are not like diamonds. Cherry would be crazy not to increase its production to match the demand.

It's production lines are most likely already pushing their limits. And I bet retooling for different switches is not a trivial process and takes a long time.

Cheers,

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:55:58 »
The switch seeing highest demand is BROWN for production purposes. Green is a very niche at the moment but we are working on educating the market.

Which will probably bring me to a post in terms of what methods people have used to convert membrane users over to mechanical without sounding too technical.  Sometimes its hard justifying on price alone: a $100~ keyboard when millions of people use 20$ non-mechanicals and they have no idea on why they need one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:07:51 »
The switch seeing highest demand is BROWN for production purposes. Green is a very niche at the moment but we are working on educating the market.

Which will probably bring me to a post in terms of what methods people have used to convert membrane users over to mechanical without sounding too technical.  Sometimes its hard justifying on price alone: a $100~ keyboard when millions of people use 20$ non-mechanicals and they have no idea on why they need one.

They don't need one... that's a fact...

This is a novelty item... since it produces no increased performance, as the "performance" here is not dependent on the tool..

Sean Wrona will type 1000 cpm on any keyboard...

Horowitz will sound great and expressive on any piano...

excuse me for comparing Wrona to Horowitz, I know they're not on the same artistic level.

I am merely drawing a parallel in their dedication to their craft..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:18:48 »
This is a novelty item... since it produces no increased performance, as the "performance" here is not dependent on the tool..

There isn't only performance, but also comfort. I can type about 5 wpm faster on my laptop keyboard, but my fingers start to hurt independently on my speed in less than an hour (making short breaks unfortunately doesn't help). On the other hand, I've never experienced any pain from typing without bottoming out on Cherry MX Red.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:24:14 »

There isn't only performance, but also comfort. I can type about 5 wpm faster on my laptop keyboard, but my fingers start to hurt independently on my speed in less than an hour (making short breaks unfortunately doesn't help). On the other hand, I've never experienced any pain from typing without bottoming out on Cherry MX Red.

Ok, but the issue is "you" pushing a bit too hard on the laptop keys..

So, you need to make a technique adjustment... the Keyboard's technical superiority still stands.

While it requires bottoming out.. It Certainly-does-not require so much force that you'd be hurting yourself.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:54:16 »

Ok, but the issue is "you" pushing a bit too hard on the laptop keys..

So, you need to make a technique adjustment... the Keyboard's technical superiority still stands.

While it requires bottoming out.. It Certainly-does-not require so much force that you'd be hurting yourself.

So, I can use a knife as a spoon, and if I cut myself it's not the fact I'm using a knife, it's the way I'm holding it! Clearly I just need a technique adjustment and then I will be able to use the knife, I mean spoon, correctly. Thanks for clearing that up!

Cheers,

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 19:25:16 »
My CM QFR has a non clicking key, but its the #6 key so it doesn't matter too much to me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:45:00 »
My CM QFR has a non clicking key, but its the #6 key so it doesn't matter too much to me.

Hmm..... I think GH should probably Halt all Quickfire recommendations from here on... until some "definitive" proof of "return to quality" comes out....

Oh, and yea just read BucklingSpring's post about his "customer-service experience"

Bro... that's Boarderline extortion.... :D ... 

But yea I AGREE they "Should" keep some stock for replacements.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 17:37:37 »
it has nothing to do with the QFR. filco is having the same problem. the only difference is filco refuses to refund, rma or admit that it's a defect

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 13:09:28 »
I've just noticed that my Majestouch Ninja's "J" key does not have as much of a pronounced click or tactile feel as any of the other keys do. It's not something I notice in normal typing, so it's not a huge deal. Gives me more of an incentive to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 13:55:14 »
I've just noticed that my Majestouch Ninja's "J" key does not have as much of a pronounced click or tactile feel as any of the other keys do. It's not something I notice in normal typing, so it's not a huge deal. Gives me more of an incentive to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder though.

Or you know, visit a doctor to get the OCD under control.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 00:08:28 »

Today my up arrow key decided it would rather be a linear switch. I pressed it a bunch and it fixed itself. I did spill a really tiny amount of water on the keyboard a while before (a few ml, really barely any at all) so that may have been the reason.

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:28:13 »
I found such offer more offensive than nothing at all. So I asked for a little more (Sirus 5.1 SGH-6000-KK5R1 to be precise)
You have got to be kidding me...pretty sure that's worth more than the board!
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW