Author Topic: FPS Tournament (Sponsored by Techkeys.us) POSTPONED!  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: FPS Tournament ? (Sponsored by Techkeys.us)
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:27:54 »
 (cheers beast)

Something like this ?
Weapon Rules

2.2.1 Banned Unlocks List. Unlocks released during the season are banned.

The following unlocks are banned:

High-Five Taunt
    Bombinomicon
    Bootie Time
    Jingle Belt
    Enforcer
    Holiday Punch
    Pomson
    Phlogistinator
    Vita-Saw
    Cleaner’s Carbine
    Pretty Boy’s Pocket Pistol
    Red-Tape Recorder
    Huo-Long Heater

2.2.2 Some set hats are not allowed. Other hats and miscs are allowed.

The following set hats are banned from use:

Ol’ Snaggletooth
    Familiar Fez
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the ... CtrlAlt Zone

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:36:41 »
Is there going to be a list of blacklisted weapons? Or is any weapon good?

I'm concerned about Lucksman snipers and Gunslinger Engies...  :eek:

Tym and I are currently in discussion over the ruleset for the tournament. It's a strange situation since the tournament is sort of for fun, but there are also prizes awarded. If it was simply for fun with no prizes i'd have no issues with just playing anything goes, but as there are prizes I personally would prefer to see some manner of restriction, at the very least, on classes (no dupes and locked classes for single matches)

Thus far it looks like teams will be chosen completely at random by importing the XML list into Listrandomizer.com or a similar site, and then splitting the randomized list into groups of four, which will be the team. We have discussed doing this on video if people are concerned about us trying to team stack.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:41:09 »
The following set hats are banned from use:

Ol’ Snaggletooth
    Familiar Fez

But not the milkman hat? wat.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:46:36 »
Those all look fine except for the Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol. If anything, It's a downgrade. You die MUCH quicker to a pyro or any other fire weapon, and all you get out of it is no fall damage and a little bit more health. I think whoever wrote those rules has never actually played with the PBPP. I can definitely agree with some of those, but others seem like terrible choices for bans. I would be fine with those rules mostly because I'm hoping I'm playing soldier.

(and Naturally both of the weapons I specifically don't want are legal for use... ( ._.) )

I would prefer something like:

Banned Weapons:

Gunslinger
Huntsman
Phlog
Pomson
Holiday Punch

Banned Items:

Bootie Time
Jingle Belt

All set hats are banned.

Most of those blacklisted items seem pointless to blacklist.
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:52:01 »
i just took that from teh interwebs, make a list and i can compile it if you guys agree :D
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the ... CtrlAlt Zone

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:54:23 »
Is the holiday punch those mittens that make you laugh?

Personally I would hate to see the chargin' tard and the booties. Seriously what were they thinking besides "Idiots will buy this for sure" when they made it? Sidegrade my ass.

EDIT: I don't think we have to ban any specfic set item, or hat, just so long as your items/hats don't add up to the set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:56:51 by Internetlad »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:58:21 »
Here are some lists of competitive blacklists; I can rip one off if you fancy?

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Competitive_item_restrictions

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:02:07 »
I think some of the items like the pocket pistol and jingle booties are banned specifically because they ARE underpowered and nobody would use them anyways. We don't need to do that here, if somebody wants to wear the booties, or have the high five taunt, let em.

I dunno, Honestly, so much of it is personal preference. I'd like to "ban" as few weapons as possible, but the ones I do want to ban, I hate with a passion. (Lucksman, Gunslinger in arena.

What we could do is have a suggested ban list, then if both matched teams agree to "unban" a weapon for the match, let them.

I'd like to have "representatives" or "captains" for the teams and see them speak to the other reps and organizers as middlemen for the entire team. They can sort out what map (if not the custom map chosen by the organizers) and game mode both teams would like to play. That way if team A and B are in a match and they want to play on Fastlane with huntsman allowed, they can do it.

EDIT: Speaking of custom map, we should pick a balanced map made in the last month or so. . . (maybe 5 CP?) as the "default" map and install it. I haven't played TF2 since like september, but I could take a look.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:10:19 by Internetlad »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:12:06 »
if you can take a look that would be great! Send me a link and ill ask Luke to get it up on the server.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:14:28 »
I hereby do solemnly swear that I have not played whatever map i'm going to pick. I'll clear it with you guys first and it will be chosen mostly at random (I won't sort by most popular and pick the first one, for example)

if you guys are paranoid check out my steam account, I haven't played tf2 in months.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/7656119798568851

EDIT: Looks like it only tracks for the last 2 weeks. Whatever, trust me.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:17:49 »
I was thinking, we get the map up then I ask Luke to make the server public so we can all have a  play and get some practice in!

I created a steam group here
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GeekShot
If we all join it we can then decide a time when we can all go on for abit of fun?

Also anyone good a GFX we need a logo ?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:42:20 »
Yeah I was hoping the server could be opened up for practice/scrim/fun games for a couple days. He wants feedback on latencies too so it would be great.

And don't look at me for a graphic, I'm no artist.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:01:39 »
I would probably nominate CP_Orange, due to the overly simplistic layout (you could learn the map within 5 minutes), but the cap times would definitely have to be modified. It's an absurdly long cap time for every point.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:16:26 »
doesn't look like there's many new CP maps that have just been released. Maybe a map like Orange would be best then.

Fastlane is incredibly easy to learn too since it's just a straight line. everybody hates fastlane though lol.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:31:01 »
Orange maps... Reminds me of Day of Defeat Source which I'm also decent at, and love.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:31:46 »
Orange maps... Reminds me of Day of Defeat Source which I'm also decent at, and love.
Dod on orange maps ;D those were the days!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:36:53 »
Pl_Branblitz and Pl_Badwater  are a MUST
www.pexonpcs.co.uk

Steel Series 6G MX Black / Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL in Beige MX Black

Online Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:43:08 »
CP_dustbowl hahahaha 2 points per match seems good ;D small maps too

Offline inteli722

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:48:25 »
Pl_Branblitz and Pl_Badwater  are a MUST

I'm not big on regular Payload maps...I prefer TDM_Hightower personally (But that's just because I like playing Market Gardener Soldier). If we do those, we should have a Payload Match, a CP match, and cp_degrootkeep an Attack/Defend Map.

Win Conditions
  • CP is whoever successfully caps all points (maybe best 2/3 basis)
  • Payload is whoever wins fastest if the Attacking team wins both times. If defense wins once, the team who successfully defended wins, and if there are 2 defense wins, then I say a good tiebreaker match of Hightwer!
  • King of the Hill should be best 2/3

This should also be on a per-bracket basis. Each team match-up goes through each of these gametypes.

This is my opinion, if we're just doing CP, then I'd say 2/3 wins moves up.
More

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:07:30 »
cp_badlands then, I'm not going to play random maps like hightower, I'll only play competitive maps.
www.pexonpcs.co.uk

Steel Series 6G MX Black / Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL in Beige MX Black

Offline inteli722

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:15:09 »
I would rather have really easy to learn maps because we have people who have never played TF2 before joining, so knowing maps will be a really obvious advantage, and with random team selection, skill could be stacked.

I say the Original CP_orange map. No frills, very open, and possibly the easiest map to learn.

More

Offline dn

• Got Wood? Fabricator / Designer Extraordinaire
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 21:29:17 »
I will compete in quake live, warsow or (not my fav game but I am probs div 1 at it) tf2.

let me know
7G owner :)

PS: I'm looking for a PBT blank full set for my 7G!

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
FPS Tournament ? (Sponsored by Techkeys.us)
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 01:51:50 »
I would rather have really easy to learn maps because we have people who have never played TF2 before joining, so knowing maps will be a really obvious advantage, and with random team selection, skill could be stacked.

I say the Original CP_orange map. No frills, very open, and possibly the easiest map to learn.

Show Image

I was thinking of this(CP_Orange), harvest(because it's so fun) and then a payload map, then that would make it best of three and three very different maps :D

R.I.P. SmallFry

Offline inteli722

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 06:24:34 »
I would prefer Nucleus over Harvest, but that's definitely a multi-layered map. There are places that I don't even think I've gone before :eek:
More

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #264 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:49:05 »
Well, if its going to be maps like orange and nucleus count me out, they aren't proper maps that are suited to this type of event.
www.pexonpcs.co.uk

Offline inteli722

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:53:39 »
This isn't a true competitive tournament, nor was it ever going to be. This is having fun with other people. There are people who have never played before, so we want easy to learn maps. While I'm fine with Badlands, I think a map or that has no hidden secrets would be preferable, and I think Orange_X3 perfectly suits that. It's a flat map with obvious cover and a big tower in the middle. It's an extremely easy map to learn. I think we should have a majority's approval on the map, but I think for our purposes that Orange_x3 suits us fine.
More

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #266 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:56:42 »
This isn't a true competitive tournament, nor was it ever going to be. This is having fun with other people. There are people who have never played before, so we want easy to learn maps. While I'm fine with Badlands, I think a map or that has no hidden secrets would be preferable, and I think Orange_X3 perfectly suits that. It's a flat map with obvious cover and a big tower in the middle. It's an extremely easy map to learn. I think we should have a majority's approval on the map, but I think for our purposes that Orange_x3 suits us fine.

It also has no health packs, long sight lines, if there is a good sniper can destroy the whole game/round, no places for an engie to truly build, bias towards solly and demo... its not a balanced map IMO.

I'd rather play Dustbowl or Well
www.pexonpcs.co.uk

Offline inteli722

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 08:01:17 »
We should really have a map vote now...

CP_orange_x3
CP_well
CP_badlands
pl_Upward(?)

Open to suggestions. I would like to stay away from multi-stage levels, but that's just me.
More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 08:23:47 »
Ill let you collect suggestions then put up another vote XD

Online Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 09:15:23 »
Dustbowl is more balanced imo, and small enough cos its mainly linear ;D

And there are enough small chokepoints for intense gameplay....
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 February 2013, 09:20:09 by Shadovved »