Author Topic: CM Storm QFR: Replacement Top Covers IN STOCK @ CM Store  (Read 20704 times)

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
CM Storm QFR: Replacement Top Covers IN STOCK @ CM Store
« on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:09:16 »
Hello GH!

Just wanted to give you a heads up that we are now selling A LIMITED QUANTITY of replacement top panels with the cleaner look (removed branding on top) at our CM Store. This was brought in by popular demand from the community and allows you to switch up your look without having to purchase a full new keyboard.

In the future, QFR will be using black top panels EXCLUSIVELY for all switch types. This is our way of still giving a bit of customization.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-replacement-top-panel/

We are including a tool to help with the process. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them!
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:11:30 by CM-Rajiv »
Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline t2russo

Re: CM Storm QFR: Replacement Top Covers IN STOCK @ CM Store
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:10:40 »
Nice job following up and bringing this product to life!  I've sold all my branded QFRs, but I might have to get a gray cover in case I want to mix things up with my Greens.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:11:45 »
This is great news, I can finally change the grey color of my QFR to black :D

Are you guys going to be able to do a white version?

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:12:58 »
Yeah, we are listening. It does take a while sometimes but Carter and I get super excited when things finally happen. Here's the first of many to come.

White is next on the list :) No ETA but it's already been pushed.
Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:13:09 »
Good guy, CM!

There may also be a big market for other colors such as blue, red, and green.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
CM Storm QFR: Replacement Top Covers IN STOCK @ CM Store
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:17:32 »
Red!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:04:09 »
I think Hyper yellow/ laser yellow/ sunny yellow would be awesome...

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:15:38 »
Metal case!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:19:18 »
Rajiv, this is awesome it's finally available! Having the bottom piece available too would be nice too. Just a suggestion that I hope would become a reality also :)

However by offering this, you guys are indirectly saying it's ok to void warranty?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:22:19 »
Rajiv, this is awesome it's finally available! Having the bottom piece available too would be nice too. Just a suggestion that I hope would become a reality also :)

However by offering this, you guys are indirectly saying it's ok to void warranty?

pretty sure it's do at your own risk.

The only hard part is if some one yanks the bottom usb pcb too quickly and breaks those pins...  :D

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:57:06 »
I can't tell you anything other than it's "do at your own risk"

With that said, I'll do my best to help if a situation were to arise.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 13:01:50 »
Very nice, going to order a black one!

Thanks
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 14:39:32 »
Still no word on EU availability? Even if I'd be fine with paying the US -> Norway shipping costs the store won't let me order from outside of NA, so I'd have to get a proxy for it. Might as well try getting a second hand one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 15:22:08 »
I think Hyper yellow/ laser yellow/ sunny yellow would be awesome...

+1 for yellow :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:07:47 »
Woohoo!

Rajiv, any progress on making unpainted/unfinished tops available? For those of us who may want to paint them a completely different color like white or gray or purple or such?
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:35:29 »
This is something that's also been brought up and Carter is already championing different things.  What we need is to see the response to these current covers to see if the production is viable.....because we're running it on a smaller scale, costs go up... if the market is there, we can increase production, streamline a process, and lower overall costs.

We are always about supporting modders (our component business has always been a proponent of customization) so we definitely plan to extend that to the CM Storm line now as well.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:13:00 »
This is something that's also been brought up and Carter is already championing different things.  What we need is to see the response to these current covers to see if the production is viable.....because we're running it on a smaller scale, costs go up... if the market is there, we can increase production, streamline a process, and lower overall costs.

We are always about supporting modders (our component business has always been a proponent of customization) so we definitely plan to extend that to the CM Storm line now as well.

Good deal! Is there any chance of a replacement top that doesn't void warranty? I know there's a lot of unethical twits out there who'll spill Coke in the keyboard and then try to claim, but the voiding of warranty if I put a custom painted top on it is making me hesitate. A lot. And probably quite a few others since every QFR is still in warranty. Would it be at all possible to move the warranty void sticker to the internals so that it'd only be broken if someone takes the PCB and plate out of the lower chassis?
I mean realistically, there's not too much that can go wrong with the swap other than idiot maneuvers. So I'd really like to be able to swap it without voiding my warranty - provided I don't do anything stupid, of course. (ProTip: Do not use power drivers to reassemble keyboard chassis.)

Oh! And any chance we can get you guys to post a basic painting guide for us? I know there's a funky coating on the black one, plus the branding decal, so some guidance from you guys on how best to sand and prep it for a coat of paint would be fantastic!
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline machmkv

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:43:06 »
Would also like to know do these covers just pop off or do we need to unscrew it?

Looks like from the tool the top would just pop off no problem.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:44:28 »

Then it'd make even more sense to come out with colors as soon as possible..

Because as is, the replacement covers will only sell to those with the "pre-unbranded" boards. Or minimally to those who wish to go from black to grey// grey to black.

But... If you sell Yellow or White, which don't come on the stock boards.... It's like IPHONE CASES wh0000000000... WInnnnn

I just gotzz to have my personalized iphone case..... yeaaa.. it represents me......<-- At least that's what some kids would say...

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:57:47 »

Good deal! Is there any chance of a replacement top that doesn't void warranty? I know there's a lot of unethical twits out there who'll spill Coke in the keyboard and then try to claim, but the voiding of warranty if I put a custom painted top on it is making me hesitate. A lot. And probably quite a few others since every QFR is still in warranty. Would it be at all possible to move the warranty void sticker to the internals so that it'd only be broken if someone takes the PCB and plate out of the lower chassis?
I mean realistically, there's not too much that can go wrong with the swap other than idiot maneuvers. So I'd really like to be able to swap it without voiding my warranty - provided I don't do anything stupid, of course. (ProTip: Do not use power drivers to reassemble keyboard chassis.)

Oh! And any chance we can get you guys to post a basic painting guide for us? I know there's a funky coating on the black one, plus the branding decal, so some guidance from you guys on how best to sand and prep it for a coat of paint would be fantastic!

This is a case by case basis. I've already spoken to our customer service team and I will be playing a role in approving any warranty issues with an installation from this. Since we are ONLY selling from the CM-Store, this gives us a lot of tracking ability.  I was very adamant about providing at least some lee-way to you guys, because what is the benefit of selling you a product that voids your warranty?  Hence, my intervention.

Do not let the warranty issue deter you... just be sure that if I know your keyboard was damaged from a poor install/handling issue, it may not get approved.

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:59:14 »
Oh and as for a painting guide........I can look into this.
We work with a lot of modders and getting their feedback will be crucial to us creating a guide since we want it done from the experts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 18:00:06 »

This is a case by case basis. I've already spoken to our customer service team and I will be playing a role in approving any warranty issues with an installation from this. Since we are ONLY selling from the CM-Store, this gives us a lot of tracking ability.  I was very adamant about providing at least some lee-way to you guys, because what is the benefit of selling you a product that voids your warranty?  Hence, my intervention.

Do not let the warranty issue deter you... just be sure that if I know your keyboard was damaged from a poor install/handling issue, it may not get approved.

Perhaps youtube an instructional video to the Noobs?

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 18:32:45 »
Youtube video for painting guide or for panel removal?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:57:51 »
Would also like to know do these covers just pop off or do we need to unscrew it?

Looks like from the tool the top would just pop off no problem.

There are several screws that keep the two halves of the chassis together. One of those screws is in fact, located under the 'warranty void if broken' sticker.

THIS is super good news to hear. I love the gray case, but I want a lighter gray case to match the keycaps I have on the way. I've got a local shop that can handle my color matching for me too, thankfully. Also loves that it comes with a spudger (even though I have plenty of my own.)
Now we just need to convince you guys to offer one with stealth printed PBT keycaps. Seriously. I am shredding through these ABS caps in a matter of days. :(

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:49:45 »

Only 1 screw to take off, and 8 tabs to pop off. My disassembly here:

Offline karljs

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:17:30 »
Nice! Ordered two so I can try painting my silvery ones with reckless abandon.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:47:20 »
Other colors would be amazing! White would be very tempting o;

CM really showing that they listen to their customers :D

Offline Warduke

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:53:18 »
I am very impressed with CM right now. They're adding new stuff that's really cool, they've posted about the people who were having issues with Green switches and now this. You guys are going all out to be a major player in the mechanical keyboard market.

I'll soon be getting a QFR with Greens, the only question is, will it be a normal one, or the Stealth?
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline chocobunny

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 02:26:28 »
I'd definitely buy a white cover  :)

Offline uzoc

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 08:36:54 »
I am very impressed with CM right now. They're adding new stuff that's really cool, they've posted about the people who were having issues with Green switches and now this. You guys are going all out to be a major player in the mechanical keyboard market.

I'll soon be getting a QFR with Greens, the only question is, will it be a normal one, or the Stealth?

Yes, please change the code/model number in Amazon (& other outlets), so we know what we are buying. Thanks!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 09:33:25 »
More paint jobs for me to do. :D
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:45:45 »
The stealth models will have their own model #... it will be very apparent when they are released :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:53:14 »
oh man, that gray top is pretty hot. if i can figure out how to place an order (some weird account thing?) i'm totally getting one :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:58:44 »
Y U NO SHIP TO PO BOX?!?

You know my wife will kill me if I have this stuff sent to the house, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline uzoc

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:03:59 »
When will you have non-logo'd CFR's in Amazon?
Will you have different part numbers for logo'd/non-log'd, so we know?
I hate having to order, to just return it!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:16:30 »
I just bought a grey one. My QFR with Greens already has the black. My other QFR is already modded to fit a Phantom, so...

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:46:48 »
When will you have non-logo'd CFR's in Amazon?

All QFR's being shipped by Amazon are 'reduced branding' versions at this point. Amazon just fails at updating their product photos.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 23:31:25 »
I just bought a grey one. My QFR with Greens already has the black. My other QFR is already modded to fit a Phantom, so...

Was this tough? I just got a dremel and am working on first sanding and spray painting it red, but then I must get to the tough part.

What did you exactly have to do? I haven't really gave that part any thought yet.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 23:50:52 »

Was this tough? I just got a dremel and am working on first sanding and spray painting it red, but then I must get to the tough part.

What did you exactly have to do? I haven't really gave that part any thought yet.

1) File down the bottom left standoff of the bottom case to the appropriate height.

2) Snip off the one and only standoff of the top cover

3) Make an adapter that goes from teensy USB to the 4 pin USB of the breakout board on the case. OR, drill a hole in the case to attach a USB cable directly to the teensy.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 23:55:12 »

1) File down the bottom left standoff of the bottom case to the appropriate height.

2) Snip off the one and only standoff of the top cover

3) Make an adapter that goes from teensy USB to the 4 pin USB of the breakout board on the case. OR, drill a hole in the case to attach a USB cable directly to the teensy.

Thanks WFD! First two seem very simple, but would you have a further in dept guide on number 3? I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm terrible with wires and what not.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:49:59 »
I'll probably post how to make that adapter when we get closer to phantom assembly. There's a time a place for that, and so it won't be in this thread. Don't want to derail a CM thread.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:18:11 »
I'll probably post how to make that adapter when we get closer to phantom assembly. There's a time a place for that, and so it won't be in this thread. Don't want to derail a CM thread.

Yeah.. I didn't mean for you to post it in here.

Back on topic.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:36:49 »
Oh God, a white QFR.  I want one!

Offline tauburn

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 12:01:37 »
are these new covers going to have that rubber coating that i hate so much?.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 12:05:53 by tauburn »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:26:50 »

Thank you! - I had a question the other day and didn't bother to ask it. Then I came back but forgot what that question was all about. LOL - You read my forgotten memories :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:41:43 »

Thank you! - I had a question the other day and didn't bother to ask it. Then I came back but forgot what that question was all about. LOL - You read my forgotten memories :-)

lol really?  I thought it was the selling point.  Though personally I don't own a QFR but based on the ones I've saw I thought they were kinda cool and feels kinda nice  :P

I guess it's a love or hate kind of feature eh.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:29:33 »
That's just great.
Let us all pay for those who messed up so big.
It can be called aftermarket, I guess.
As it turns out, you should at least give them a bonus. They deserve it.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:31:52 »
That's just great.
Let us all pay for those who messed up so big.
It can be called aftermarket, I guess.
As it turns out, you should at least give them a bonus. They deserve it.

gigi what are you referring to?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:32:36 »
Awesome thanks for the info.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 02:31:24 »
coool, finally my qfr with blues will be rebranded.