Author Topic: Old Unicomp M having problems - Is there hope?  (Read 959 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Old Unicomp M having problems - Is there hope?
« on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:20:05 »
A Unicomp M probably acquired around 2004 and given to a friend is having a problem.

A glass felt on the table close to the keyboard. My friend swears that no liquid went in the keyboard. It seams that the vibration caused by the impact on the table made something to snap in the keyboard.

She is having problems with the Z row and the spacebar.

As much as I love keyboards, I don't know sh!t about the electronics inside. Can it be fixed? If yes does it worth sending it in for repair or would it be cheaper to simply replace the keyboard?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Old Unicomp M having problems - Is there hope?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:25:26 »
you got to open it up and you can see whats the problem from just looking on the internals, check the controller and if the wiring is intact. As if you cant fix it, depends on how much it cost to fix it + shipping vs buying new one from Unicomp + shipping.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:29:05 »
Thanks bazemk,

Do you know enough about M's to provide some insight as of where should I look when only the lower rows are having issues?
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:42:32 »
I have heard that Unicomp has a great repair policy where they will completely refurb pretty much any M for something around $30.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:00:22 »
I have heard that Unicomp has a great repair policy where they will completely refurb pretty much any M for something around $30.

Waow that would be great. I'll certainly ask them.
My friend is short on cash (that is also why I gave her the kb in the first place. She will be very happy if it only cost that much to fix it.
Boards I own, click ->
More