Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3499648 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #9800 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:25:15 »
When handwiring a keyboard matrix, which pins on Teensy 2.0/++ are unable to be used for the rows/columns?

I think it's just the power / ground and reset pins (the ones on the end mainly) I know other pins (for leds I guess) have less current available or something, but ron's using one of them on the GH36 and he says it works fine for him.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9801 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:25:26 »
3 LED's on my Lightsaver already failed...is it common for LED's to fail? I noticed on one of them it started flickering at a very high rate just before it died.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9802 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:29:59 »
G83 = rubber dome.

Great, thanks a lot. Should help me sort through the hundreds of keyboards on ebay.

You may also be interested in this DT Wiki page.

3 LED's on my Lightsaver already failed...is it common for LED's to fail? I noticed on one of them it started flickering at a very high rate just before it died.

Hmm...I've never had one die on me before. I'm not 100% sure though so hopefully someone else has experience that they can share.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9803 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:07:37 »

I've burnt out a few LEDs and this is typically what happens.  It's odd though, because it has happened in scenarios where the circuit was setup specifically for that LED spec, so I'm not sure what went wrong.  Maybe there are just bad LEDs that were never meant to be?  And maybe there are bad batches that have more of these than is typical?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9804 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:30:41 »
Thanks for the info CPT & Hoff...I'm not sure what the deal is, they were working fine when the board showed up just a week or two ago and then suddenly I they started dying out. I'm trying to figure out if there is a better distributor/brand for led's than maybe the cheapies on eBay or if this is just common with led's in general?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9805 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:34:21 »
I'm trying to figure out if there is a better distributor/brand for led's than maybe the cheapies on eBay or if this is just common with led's in general?

I wonder if the cheap stuff has a higher than 5-10% failure rate that one would expect in general.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #9806 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:06:31 »
Anyone know if there are other boards out there with buzzers/beepers like the kishsaver has?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9807 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:11:59 »
Anyone know if there are other boards out there with buzzers/beepers like the kishsaver has?

It seems like there are a lot of older boards that have the solenoids or buzzers. If I understood correctly, it was to make it louder for people who were used to typewriters. I know for sure that most beamspring boards had them.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9808 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 14:27:25 »

It seems like there are a lot of older boards that have the solenoids or buzzers. If I understood correctly, it was to make it louder for people who were used to typewriters. I know for sure that most beamspring boards had them.

a lot of older terminal boards (and some model Ms!) have speakers in them for the terminal bell. Televideo, etc. common to see.

Some kbs, wang, beamspring, IBM 3178, kinesis, and the zenith alps one (zkb2 i think) all have clickers or buzzers or solenoids in them to tell you the switch has actuated. This is either to make it more like a typewriter or to help you with linear switches. Even the ergodox can be configured with one.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #9809 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:17:10 »
Is there anything like the Ducky 1087 Green XM ALPs out there these days?

Really missing the super-light and crunchy-sounding switches :/ (a family member donated mine to some faraway charity without my knowledge, about a month ago...)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9810 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:21:27 »
Is there anything like the Ducky 1087 Green XM ALPs out there these days?

Really missing the super-light and crunchy-sounding switches :/ (a family member donated mine to some faraway charity without my knowledge, about a month ago...)

I have a bag of those green XMs that I will sell you for cheap.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9811 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:49:55 »
So when I was at the post office today I was really eye balling the keyboards she was using and listening to the key strokes.  It looks like a G80-11900 but it was white with what looked and sounded like pbt caps with MX blacks.

Looking around on the DT wiki it was saying that the 11900 was only done in black but the 11800 has the wrong layout.  The boards at the post office have the track pad with 3 and 4 single unit keys on the bottom row.

Any ideas what they could be?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9812 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:52:22 »
So when I was at the post office today I was really eye balling the keyboards she was using and listening to the key strokes.  It looks like a G80-11900 but it was white with what looked and sounded like pbt caps with MX blacks.

Looking around on the DT wiki it was saying that the 11900 was only done in black but the 11800 has the wrong layout.  The boards at the post office have the track pad with 3 and 4 single unit keys on the bottom row.

Any ideas what they could be?

Cherry 11900 in White

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9813 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 19:40:33 »

it was saying that the 11900 was only done in black

I have had 2-3 of those and they were all white, including one re-branded as "APC"

Wish the layout was better, I love the trackpad. But those function keys and 6-pack, ARRGH!

Yoked to a cheap double-PS/2-to-USB adapter and they worked perfectly.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9814 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:28:28 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9815 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:32:41 »
this one

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9816 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:33:22 »
Thanks guys.

Any suggestions on how to sort between mechanical and rubber dome versions of WYSE and rebranded versions?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9817 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:43:33 »
Thanks guys.

Any suggestions on how to sort between mechanical and rubber dome versions of WYSE and rebranded versions?

The Wyse RD look like your more bog standard RD boards from what I've seen.  The mechanical ones, at least the MX, tend to be discernible by their layout (some, for example, have the left side function keys) and the key caps.  They also have some Alps boards, but those are less common.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #9818 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:25:55 »
"enyoy your feeling" on spacebar poker2has been removed?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9819 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:33:46 »

a lot of older terminal boards (and some model Ms!) have speakers in them for the terminal bell. Televideo, etc. common to see.

Some kbs, wang, beamspring, IBM 3178, kinesis, and the zenith alps one (zkb2 i think) all have clickers or buzzers or solenoids in them to tell you the switch has actuated. This is either to make it more like a typewriter or to help you with linear switches. Even the ergodox can be configured with one.

That's what ASCII character 7 is for! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9820 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:29:27 »

I believe so. But I love that spacebar.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #9821 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:40:33 »

I believe so. But I love that spacebar.
yup :-X

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #9822 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:04:17 »
Didn't want to create a new thread for this, how are clears for gaming?
When I switched from reds to browns my pinky got fatigued when holding shift to spring in most games. I got used to that, I really want a switch that I don't bottom out all the time though. I've been trying to not bottom out all the time though, kind of tough to do and keep a good wpm while doing so.
And what are the lightest possible springs I can run on clears without it sticking? Thinking of swapping for clears on my shine. Kind of scared of ****ing something up....

And how much is the solder machine?

And how to use a solder remover?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:12:01 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9823 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:19:46 »
When I switched from reds to browns my pinky got fatigued when holding shift to spring in most games. I got used to that, I really want a switch that I don't bottom out all the time though. I've been trying to not bottom out all the time though, kind of tough to do and keep a good wpm while doing so.
And what are the lightest possible springs I can run on clears without it sticking? Thinking of swapping for clears on my shine. Kind of scared of ****ing something up....

I have used red/blue/brown springs in clears with no lube with no sticking.  But the clears were very well used.  When using new clear stems lube will be required for that light of springs.  Most people here seem to prefer 62g springs for ergo clears.

For what its worth I use reds on WASD in my orbweaver with clears everywhere else.

On the soldering questions I would recommend having a look at the "Living Soldering Thread" in the making stuff together sub forum.  Please read the OP as it has a lot of good info.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9824 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:22:31 »

I have used red/blue/brown springs in clears with no lube with no sticking.  But the clears were very well used.  When using new clear stems lube will be required for that light of springs.  Most people here seem to prefer 62g springs for ergo clears.

For what its worth I use reds on WASD in my orbweaver with clears everywhere else.

On the soldering questions I would recommend having a look at the "Living Soldering Thread" in the making stuff together sub forum.  Please read the OP as it has a lot of good info.
Will do!
What kind of lube would I need?
I have valve oil from my old trumpet lol.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9825 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:32:17 »

Will do!

The only oil/grease I would recommend is Krytox.  Check WWW.geekhackers.org (run by mkawa) or ctrlalt.io (BunnyLake is the front man here) though I believe his sit is under construction at the moment.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9826 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:34:51 »

Will do!

The only oil/grease I would recommend is Krytox.  Check WWW.geekhackers.org (run by mkawa) or ctrlalt.io (BunnyLake is the front man here) though I believe his sit is under construction at the moment.
Thank you! Will be reading up and hopefully will do the swap one day

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9827 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:35:33 »
1) How are clears for gaming?

2) And what are the lightest possible springs I can run on clears without it sticking?

3) And how much is the solder machine?

4) And how to use a solder remover?

1) They're fine for me. I don't have any issues. But I prefer heavier switches.

2) I find that the stock red/blue/brown and 55g aftermarket springs can be sticky. 62g seems to be the lowest in my experience.

3) I paid $40ish for my Hakko 936 but you could use a Radio Shack/Harbor Freight iron if you really wanted. I highly recommend you get a Weller WLC100 at the minimum though.

4) I highly suggest purchasing a Soldapullt from Geekhackers.org. It's around $20.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9828 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:52:50 »
1) How are clears for gaming?

2) And what are the lightest possible springs I can run on clears without it sticking?

3) And how much is the solder machine?

4) And how to use a solder remover?

1) They're fine for me. I don't have any issues. But I prefer heavier switches.

2) I find that the stock red/blue/brown and 55g aftermarket springs can be sticky. 62g seems to be the lowest in my experience.

3) I paid $40ish for my Hakko 936 but you could use a Radio Shack/Harbor Freight iron if you really wanted. I highly recommend you get a Weller WLC100 at the minimum though.

4) I highly suggest purchasing a Soldapullt from Geekhackers.org. It's around $20.
What's the difference between the Weller vs a AOYUE 469?

I'll try stock clears for a few months first then :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9829 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:05:09 »
Aoyue is a cheap knock off of Hakko iirc.  Hakko is very well known for quality and reliability.  I have a Weller and it has served me very well.  The only issue I have had with it was when I left it on for a couple days and killed the tip but that was no fault of the unit.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9830 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 06:16:32 »
Aoyue is a cheap knock off of Hakko iirc.  Hakko is very well known for quality and reliability.  I have a Weller and it has served me very well.  The only issue I have had with it was when I left it on for a couple days and killed the tip but that was no fault of the unit.
Oh okay thanks!

As for disassembly would I need to touch the dip switches?
And I hear leds are rather tedious to solder... Lol

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #9831 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:22:59 »
Oh okay thanks!

As for disassembly would I need to touch the dip switches?
And I hear leds are rather tedious to solder... Lol

i can't say for sure but i don't think so.  Leds are a pain but not to bad with one of the soldeapults from geekhackers.org.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9832 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:37:08 »
1) What's the difference between the Weller vs a AOYUE 469?
2) As for disassembly would I need to touch the dip switches?
3) And I hear leds are rather tedious to solder

1) I highly suggest *not* getting an Aoyue soldering iron. They're not very good quality clones of Wellers or Hakkos. I believe photekq put a huge hole in his PCB because the iron wasn't heating correctly.

2) No

3) Yup, anything related to keyboard modding is tedious in my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like modding; I love it. But it is tedious.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:42:44 by CPTBadAss »

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9833 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:40:11 »
Thanks guys!
Hopefully be buying the switches and solder equipment :) 

Offline yasuo

« Reply #9834 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 09:59:41 »
my left hand when stretched, it feels like a pulled, it's CPT or Pinched Nerve?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9835 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 10:02:40 »
my left hand when stretched, it feels like a pulled, it's CPT or Pinched Nerve?

Not really keyboard related. Maybe you overextended your hand or maybe you're developing RSI? Regardless, a keyboard forum isn't where you should be asking questions about your health. Hopefully you can find a doctor and then if you think you need it, check out the ergonomics subforum for some help with ergonomic keyboarding.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9836 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:07:16 »
Now that I've read a little into soldering, the only real thing I'd be worried about is over heating or scraped the trace...

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #9837 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:11:13 »
I need to change some led on my keyboard i wanted to put the socket like thing so can swap led in future without soldering everytime.
Anyone know the name of this item? and where i can find it?
Thanks

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9838 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:48:15 »

I need to change some led on my keyboard i wanted to put the socket like thing so can swap led in future without soldering everytime.
Thanks

They are called SIP sockets and can be purchased on eBay in large quantities. Though you will want to clip off the black enclosure so they fit properly. Information can be found around the forums on that, or I can link you when I'm off mobile.  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9839 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:57:28 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9840 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 00:25:25 »

Offline yasuo

« Reply #9841 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 01:15:58 »
5x14 matrix is enough with pro micro?

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #9842 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 10:44:42 »
Or I can link you when I'm off mobile.  :thumb:

I got you buddy

Thanks

They are called SIP sockets and can be purchased on eBay in large quantities. Though you will want to clip off the black enclosure so they fit properly. Information can be found around the forums on that, or I can link you when I'm off mobile.  :thumb:

Thanks both of you!
I found them on ebay. Is 2.54mm ok or I need to find another type?
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 10:49:28 by BakaPhoenix »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9843 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 11:20:44 »
I found them on ebay. Is 2.54mm ok or I need to find another type?

Looks like this post has more information.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9844 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 14:33:42 »

5*14 is 21 pins so you will need to wire it differently (like 8* 10, it has 18 pins you can use I think) but I don't know if it is enough for you. If you desolder LED and jumper a wire to the pad, I think you can use 2 more but I don't recommend it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 14:38:33 by dorkvader »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9845 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 18:56:32 »
Has anyone other than Ducky made blue/gray Cherry MX PBT like this? http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/images/products/large_474_large_472_DuckyDYE_blMAIN.jpg

I want to pick up a set like that, but I can't abide the duck winkey.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #9846 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 20:08:59 »
Has anyone other than Ducky made blue/gray Cherry MX PBT like this? http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/images/products/large_474_large_472_DuckyDYE_blMAIN.jpg

imsto had a full set of black on blue dyesub + black on gray dyesub keycaps. Would require buying two sets though. 

Black on gray
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=59

Black on blue w/ hangul - I think the non-hangul ones sold out
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=62
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9847 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 20:22:26 »

imsto had a full set of black on blue dyesub + black on gray dyesub keycaps. Would require buying two sets though. 

Black on gray
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=59

Black on blue w/ hangul - I think the non-hangul ones sold out
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=62

I have a few of the Blue Dye-sub sets from IMSTO.  They are really nice as long as you get a straight spacebar.

I have read ways to fix it (bent spacebars), but it didn't work out to good for me.   Still, they are some of my favorite Keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 21:54:26 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline yasuo

« Reply #9848 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 21:38:53 »

Show Image

5*14 is 21 pins so you will need to wire it differently (like 8* 10, it has 18 pins you can use I think) but I don't know if it is enough for you. If you desolder LED and jumper a wire to the pad, I think you can use 2 more but I don't recommend it.
what if I make a promicro for two boards, it's can? i plan pro micro for left hand side
how if i buy promicro again for right side? it's make sense two controller?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:53:35 by yasuo »

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #9849 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 21:43:55 »
Will there ever be another run of LZ boards on GH?
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon