GROUP BUY PHILOSOPHY & TRANSPARENCY STATEMENT
There are a few different ways to run a group buy and none are perfect. I find that most are needlessly long. (HUGE bravo to Matt3o's DSA Retro
!) We could have a whole other discussion about the merits of interest checks, pricing tiers, order period length, etc… but my #1 goal is to get this started *and* finished quickly and efficiently
. To that end, I've chosen to do this a bit differently. Low upfront prices. Simplified ordering. Foolproof payments. Professional fulfillment. No extra fees.
I'm taking a slight gamble on the fact that we'll have enough interest to make this break even, but feel confident enough to try. I can appreciate that some would have run this differently, but the beauty of running a group buy is that you're running a group buy.
While there are no rules regarding how group buys are run, I want to make my interests clear. Though I've chosen to run this group buy a bit differently, this is in fact non-profit
. (Though, personally I don't have a problem with people making a reasonable profit on a group buy... whatever leads to more group buys!)
In the interest of transparency, the following expenses are included in the prices:
- PayPal: 3.9%
Fulfillment: 3% (paid to TechKeys.us, who I picked to pack/ship) Sorting: $0.05 per key (paid to Signature Plastics)
- It turns out that sorting from SP would be $800+, which we don't have. So I'll be sorting myself. JOY! Since I'm sorting, I'll ship too.
These are additional expenses:
- Custom Legends: $315
- Signature Plastics Shipping: $85
If after the deadline:
- We have a loss:
- If it's minor (< $1k or so) I'll probably just pay it.
- If it's major, then we'll either extend the deadline (unlikely), beg some vendors, negotiate with beautiful Melissa, or similar things.
- Worst case, I'll issue refunds.
- We have a profit: In (rough) order, any profit would...
- cover all unpaid expenses and shipping shortages
- purchase spare kits for damage/etc
- add surprise goodies to orders (we added geekhack keys and alpha keys!)
- buy your friendly group buy leader a couple sets (though, this isn't a priority)
- donation to a good cause
The final order (including vendor sets) was placed Wednesday, March 20th. Set volumes are as follows:Alpha: 162
Blue Mods: 130
White Mods: 65
Blue Tsangan: 56
White Tsangan: 35
Numpad: 79Total Collected (including shipping)Collected from customers (after Paypal fees): $14,370.77
Collected from vendors: $1,442.82 $15,813.59Total Signature Plastics Cost
Includes key caps, legends, and shipping-$14,327.79Estimated Shipping
Based on $7 (US), $17 (INTL) estimation-$1,331
------------------------------Profit/Loss:$154.80 Edit after final shipping: Well... shipping was more than expected, packing materials added up, etc. It was certainly an overall loss, but nothing to gripe about too much. However, I'm officially retired from running group buys, as mandated by my wife.
------------------------------Interesting country breakdown:
South Korea: 30%
Big turn out from our friends in Korea!