Author Topic: Prototyping New Keyboard Designs (Using Plate Mounting and Direct Wiring)  (Read 140798 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Prototyping New Keyboard Designs (Using Plate Mounting and Direct Wiring)
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:31:24 »
Here is a keyboard layout I would like to have. I trust that someone can do the corresponding plate template for it.

Check here  I think that is an existing layout
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:13:06 »
Here is a keyboard layout I would like to have. I trust that someone can do the corresponding plate template for it.

Thanks. Looks like it could be the LZ EX. Is it possible to procure this keyboard in the USA? If so, what would it cost?

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:14:52 »
What do you guys think of this layout.

Ahhh!

Where are my modifier keys!?

OTOH: Anything to dump the windows key!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:16:55 »

Thanks. Looks like it could be the LZ EX. Is it possible to procure this keyboard in the USA? If so, what would it cost?

I've never seen an LZ-EX ever here. If you did manage to find it, it wouldn't be cheap. The last LZ product I saw was an LZ-GH and goes for around $540.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:20:50 »
What do you guys think of this layout.

Ahhh!

Where are my modifier keys!?

OTOH: Anything to dump the windows key!

Upper right corner
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline TD22057

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:46:26 »
FYI - I've given up on adding I2C functionality to hasu's firmware.  It sorta worked but slowed the scan rate lower than I wanted it to go so I'm back to doing a direct wiring approach.  If anyone builds their own split hand keyboard and wants to do this, Monoprice has 30 ga CAT5 cable (8 conductor) that is really thin (sample here).  I'm going to double this up and wrap it in a custom sleeve to go between my two keyboard halves.  That gives me enough wires for 6 rows, 8 columns, + 1 LED. 

Offline sordna

« Reply #256 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:49:01 »

Yes, this layout is awesome. It exists? I googled LZ-EX but nothing came up. Can anyone post a link or a photo for the LZ-EX ?

BTW the leopold FC660 comes close to this layout, only it's has this huge gap and missing Home/End keys even though it has the space for it on the right hand side. What a shameful waste of real estate :-(
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 14:29:48 »
What do you guys think of this layout.  Never mind the empty keys toward the right side.  They are just place holders to position the "navigation clusters" where I wanted them.

Melvang

Edit: changed the P/P which was play/pause to Windows key
Dat SPACEbar...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:05:46 »

Yes, this layout is awesome. It exists? I googled LZ-EX but nothing came up. Can anyone post a link or a photo for the LZ-EX ?

BTW the leopold FC660 comes close to this layout, only it's has this huge gap and missing Home/End keys even though it has the space for it on the right hand side. What a shameful waste of real estate :-(

I have a Leopold FC660M. Before I actually used it, I did not like the appearance of the arrow cluster and isolated Insert and Delete keys. After using the keyboard, I like it very much with respect to the layout, appearance, and typing feel. It is a solid board with excellent build quality. My board was made in Korea, whereas I think that the FC660C and some of the FC660M boards are made by Leopold-China; I have not seen any comparisons of boards from the two sources regarding build quality or quality control.

According to the feedback I received from EK.com, although the seemingly isolated Insert key seems odd to Western customers, Asian customers reportedly make frequent use of the Insert key. In addition, as someone else recently pointed out on this Forum, it actually makes sense to offset the Insert and Delete keys so that they are separated from other keys as they are in a full-size or TKL board. Moreover, the position of the Insert and Delete keys aligns them with the right-arrow key.

All this notwithstanding, it might be nice if Leopold were to come out with a revised version that included 4 keys in the far-right column in addition to the right-arrow key. Perhaps these 4 extra keys could be user-selected via DIP switch settings and/or these and other keys could be programmable. I hope that they would not change the current Fn layer, which is one of the best I have seen. I particularly like Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn mapped to Fn plus arrow keys, which seems eminently intuitive.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #260 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:12:40 »
Someone seen this adapter socket made for the HBFS-30?

Would be awesome for quick and simple solder-less wiring...
Perhaps we should talk to the HBFS-30 guys and get a GB started?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hbfs-30-the-all-new-arcade-button-with-cherry-mx-keyswitch

EDIT: Sent him a email and Facebook message, lets see if he is willing to sell the adapters separately :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:28:08 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:36:51 »

Show Image

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hbfs-30-the-all-new-arcade-button-with-cherry-mx-keyswitch

EDIT: Sent him a email and Facebook message, lets see if he is willing to sell the adapters separately :)

Have their been any reviews of this, I doubt it will be able to take the abuse of daily use.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:56:30 »

Show Image

Have their been any reviews of this, I doubt it will be able to take the abuse of daily use.

Not sure, but I guess they are made to last as arcade push-buttons get a lot more brute force action than keyboard keys, eh?
But even if they prove to not last in daily use, they would be still great for prototyping and testing, hence why I posted it in this thread ;)

Offline divito

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 17:27:00 »

Show Image

That's quite genius; can't wait to see the reply.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 17:40:17 »
You have a point regarding the prototyping use.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:21:40 »
Has anyone ever considered multiple plates into a case to really play around with the layout on a hardwired matrix?  IE have one separate plate for each row of keys?  Granted yes it is a separate plate for each row but for the rows that you aren't completely sure on what layout you want to use you could have a separate plate cut for just that row.  Not sure if you want 1.25 or 1.5 mods?  Just swap out the plate for the bottom row.  Just an idea that I was throwing around.  It might even be the same price due to the cost of the raw material from a sheet wide enough for the full board to just wide enough for an individual row of switches.

Melvang

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:27:44 »
Has anyone ever considered multiple plates into a case to really play around with the layout on a hardwired matrix?  IE have one separate plate for each row of keys?  Granted yes it is a separate plate for each row but for the rows that you aren't completely sure on what layout you want to use you could have a separate plate cut for just that row.  Not sure if you want 1.25 or 1.5 mods?  Just swap out the plate for the bottom row.  Just an idea that I was throwing around.  It might even be the same price due to the cost of the raw material from a sheet wide enough for the full board to just wide enough for an individual row of switches.

Melvang

Interesting idea.  You'd run into issues wiring your matrix, unless you made each row hot-swappable with a ribbon cable or something of that sort.  Might be interesting to see someone else do.  I don't think I'd have much of a need for it, but it could be a fun "just for the hell of it" project.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:31:48 »
alright time for some Solidworks.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:32:52 »

Melvang

This is probably a pretty decent idea but I'd wonder how it would affect stability overall. Maybe just the bottom row?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:48:13 »
I have an idea for a fix to that but will require quite a bit more machining.  Though another nice thing is you would be able to rotate the individual plates around 180 so you can take a standard 1.25x3/6.25/1.25x4, rotate it and have 1.25x4/6.25/1.25x3.  Or you could rotate your num row and basically just swap where the back space and the tilde key is.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:40:33 »

Melvang

Interesting idea, a bit like the adjustable ergodox sort of keypad a user once posted.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:43:17 »

Melvang

Interesting idea, a bit like the adjustable ergodox sort of keypad a user once posted.

I don't remember that one.  Any chance for a link?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:52:59 »

Melvang

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45389.0

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:56:22 »

Melvang

Yup I remember that one now.  Anyone know how that one turned out or if it ever got completely finished?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:21:04 »
Ok, got a reply:

I'm sorry, this adapter is last year product.
In fact, it is inconvenient to use, too easy to loose, so I discontinued the production.
This year we redesigned the button.

We release HBFS-G2 in this month​, have two size​,​ HBFS-30 & HBFS-24​.
The adapter design into one with Button Base.

​This is our official website, there are more details about HBFS-G2
http://www.gamerfinger.com/hbfs30.html​

Well, he offered me some samples of the new adapter for shipping costs to check, seems to be a nice guy...
But from the images I can already see that the new version wont work for our purpose (no more small square plug-plate with QC terminals).
Maybe we can use the design of the old version as inspiration to think up a similar solution, a more fitting one for keyboards, perhaps also more reliable?

Offline UniClown

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:23:44 »

Melvang

Yup I remember that one now.  Anyone know how that one turned out or if it ever got completely finished?

It was completely finished and working. The mechanism for sliding the columns was pretty inventive. There is a video of him working with it on his blog here

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:29:27 »
How about a small PCB piece (could be permanently fixed with glue) with solder pads for the switch pins leading to quick connect terminals?
You'd solder the switch once, but you can rewire it without any soldering because of the terminals, should also be sturdy/lasting...

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:46:38 »
How about a small PCB piece (could be permanently fixed with glue) with solder pads for the switch pins leading to quick connect terminals?
You'd solder the switch once, but you can rewire it without any soldering because of the terminals, should also be sturdy/lasting...

(Attachment Link)

I saw something exactly like this not too long ago posted here. I can't for the life of me find it though...

Edit: Found it
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41004

Not sure how sturdy it would be though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:51:29 by Flamingchook »
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline sordna

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:21:22 »

Show Image

HBFS-30 looks perfect for my Kinesis mod since Seimitsu PS-15 are getting harder to find. Thanks for the pointer !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:23:11 »
Some helpful resources specially for plate designing: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:56:35 »
Some helpful resources specially for plate designing: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744

Thx! Will send ya my resource folder as well (as soon I find the time) :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 06:15:48 »
Cool.

Thanks

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 23:57:15 »
I love how the more recent crazy designs have control alt and delete right next to each other. Must be for windows users, since you'll need to just mash that corner.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 14:59:41 »
I love how the more recent crazy designs have control alt and delete right next to each other. Must be for windows users, since you'll need to just mash that corner.

Huh!?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:12:07 »

Huh!?

I think he means like this:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:23:18 »
Thanks, I think I missed that layout, was it even posted before?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:25:18 »

Huh!?

I think he means like this:

Show Image

Show Image

I need this keyboard for when I'm using windows.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 06:28:34 »
Whether this teensy 2.0?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teensy-USB-development-board-AVR-MKII-ISP-download-cable-AT90USB162-/171045833873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d3204c91

I could not in good conscience recommend buying that board for a couple reasons. 

1.  I do not believe that is an actual teensy 2.0 so it will program differently because I don't thing that is the Atmega32 chip on the board.

2.  An actual Teensy 2.0 is about $8 cheaper from the source.  WWW.prjc.com

Offline kps

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 10:47:12 »
1.  I do not believe that is an actual teensy 2.0

It's a counterfeit Teensy 1.0.

Offline TD22057

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 22:58:29 »
I think he isn't residing in the states

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 08:45:17 »
I opened my Teensy 2.0 GB to international orders.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:14:44 »
Question for the crowd.

Anyone know of someone selling plate mount gear? Wanting to build a fullsize keyboard, and I figure doing platemount would be cheaper and easier. Acrylic or other cheaper materials are fine. Will be hand wiring. I know I could get files, and send off to a watercutter, but why do that if someone is already making them?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:40:38 »
the_beast of D-Squad makes plates. :D

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:04:52 »
His is all wood, right?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:23:10 »
no he make stainless steel and aluminum plates also.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:25:52 »
Well, I've messaged him, hopefully hear back soon.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 07:28:00 »
any in here,can make design plate? :D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"