Author Topic: Just Got My Ducky Shine 2  (Read 4758 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
Just Got My Ducky Shine 2
« on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:53:37 »
I am going to write a full review when I get home, but I can't believe the quality of this thing.

So far, between how tight the keys are on the switch, the even feel of the presses across the board and the smooth sound with ZERO rattle and 'ping', I have to say it blows the Filco Ninja I just sold out of the water...

I know I am going to hurt some people's feelings here, but there is no way this isn't way better quality than my Filco...

Offline phx

Re: Just Got My Ducky Shine 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:56:48 »
how do you like dem Cherry stabilizers compared to Costar?
I had a Ducky Shine 2 at one point, couldn't get used to Cherry stabilizer at all (they gave me this mushy feeling). I ended up selling it.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:58:05 »
A brand new keyboard is no indication of quality.

Be sure to write a follow up review after 12 months.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:10:31 »
how do you like dem Cherry stabilizers compared to Costar?
I had a Ducky Shine 2 at one point, couldn't get used to Cherry stabilizer at all (they gave me this mushy feeling). I ended up selling it.

Honestly, the best way I can describe it is like having red o rings on them without having them on them. On the space bar, however, I feel no difference besides the fact that it doesn't rattle like my Filco space bar.

Also, the matte plastic case feels like an aluminum. I know it's not, but a welcome illusion. Putting my finger on the keys and moving lightly gives no play like my Filco as well. A much welcome crispness.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:20:35 »
So far, between how tight the keys are on the switch, the even feel of the presses across the board and the smooth sound with ZERO rattle and 'ping', I have to say it blows the Filco Ninja I just sold out of the water...

there is no way this isn't way better quality than my Filco...

Saying this blows the filco out of the water is just a little biased. I have both, disassembled both, and inspected all the parts. I'm not going to go over every aspect since they're nearly the same. I suspect the internals even come from the same factory as Filco. But to address your comment about how loose/tight the keycaps and switches are: It's brand new, so of course it should be more tight on the stem. Take it on/off a few times and it'll loosen up a tad. What you don't know is that after typing on it for a year or two, the paint and laser etching will start to rub off, so you won't be able to see the legends anymore. It'll just be a bit blotch that light will shine though, similar problem to razer's black widow caps rubbing off. But to be fair, Filco's caps are thin and cheaply made.

Glad you like your purchase though.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 14:30:38 »

there is no way this isn't way better quality than my Filco...

Saying this blows the filco out of the water is just a little biased. I have both, disassembled both, and inspected all the parts. I'm not going to go over every aspect since they're nearly the same. I suspect the internals even come from the same factory as Filco. But to address your comment about how loose/tight the keycaps and switches are: It's brand new, so of course it should be more tight on the stem. Take it on/off a few times and it'll loosen up a tad. What you don't know is that after typing on it for a year or two, the paint and laser etching will start to rub off, so you won't be able to see the legends anymore. It'll just be a bit blotch that light will shine though, similar problem to razer's black widow caps rubbing off. But to be fair, Filco's caps are thin and cheaply made.

Glad you like your purchase though.

I try not to be biased and to disregard new purchase euphoria, but I will make a short video tonight showing what I mean.

I am not disputing the internals, but rather the aesthetic flaws I see in my Filco case compared to this new ducky, key quality, stabilizer function, switch tightness (crispness) and spring sounds (ping).

All of these are clearly superior in the Ducky. Perhaps I got one of those bad batch Filco's, but this is what I see and feel. Also, I am comparing new vs new. Things may change over time, but I am just going off of current. With internals being the same as Filco and surpassing in the aforementioned, I'd have to say the difference in more than marginal.

However, perhaps "blows out of the water" was a bit premature.

As for the keys, they won't get much use. I have PBTs on the way. Actually, I've been staring at the door at work all day since they should've been here today. God damn I hate USPS!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 14:33:02 by OnTheBrink »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:25:01 »
Here is a video as to what I was talking about.

It's not a review video and I have never done a web cam video, let alone one on keyboards so don't judge lol. For some reason my web cam mic makes my voice nasally, lol.

list=PL__n_9ODMKvfwzYEyochqaWekNOVPUFhQ&index=1

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:41:08 »
I think you are excited about the new keyboard , which is good. I have used both Filco and Ducky extensively. You could make a case for either one depending on preference, but one does not blow the other " out of the water", or at least not in my experience. Though I think it is perfectly possible that you have a strong preference of the Ducky over the Filco. Personally, I like the costar stabilizers better than the Cherry ones, and I think you will find many people who feel that way (and many that do not).

I also wonder how much of the experience is affected by the keycaps you have on them. I have used either of my Filco's with their standard keycaps for less than a week.

I also suggest you do a review after you actually spend some time with the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:54:18 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 21:23:22 »
I think you are excited about the new keyboard , which is good. I have used both Filco and Ducky extensively. You could make a case for either one depending on preference, but one does not blow the other " out of the water", or at least not in my experience. Though I think it is perfectly possible that you have a strong preference of the Ducky over the Filco. Personally, I like the costar stabilizers better than the Cherry ones, and I think you will find many people who feel that way (and many that do not).

I also wonder how much of the experience is affected by the keycaps you have on them. I have used either of my Filco's with their standard keycaps for less than a week.

I also suggest you do a review after you actually spend some time with the keyboard.

Yeah, like I said, blown out of the water was probably a bad choice of words. In the video I  mention I believe it is a little above slightly better. Besides preference, it does not escape the case imperfections, key rattle, inadequate key compression and wobbly keys.

However, in terms of overall typing experience and feel, I think the key caps play a fair part in that. I am actually in the process of putting the keys on the Filco just to see how much of it is due to the key quality.

As for being excited about the new purchase, like I said, they are both new purchases so I have to disagree. I just feel like people defend Filco no matter what when it is extremely clear, no matter who you are, that the key quality on the Filcos are garbage. Say what you may about stabilizers and the rest, but suplimenting poor quality with the quality of the keys is a poor argument considering the caps are part of the purchase. Not saying you are using that argument, just making a general statement. We all buy after market keys, but a majorioty of buyers interested in a comparison will not and will find a hard time justifying spending $60 extra dollars for PBT keys to meet or surpass the standard of the competition (Ducky Shine 2 in this case).

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:41:45 »
I have to agree that the keycaps that Filco uses are disappointing considering the price of the keyboard. You will get no argument from me there.

I am interested to see what your findings are when you switch out the keycaps.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:55:45 »
My Filco is not sounding like that at all. The keycaps for the FR version are okish btw. But since I have a Realforce, I admit it's less sexy. ;)
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 00:53:06 »
cool review was thinking of picking up a ducky pretty soon!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:06:22 »
I have to agree that the keycaps that Filco uses are disappointing considering the price of the keyboard. You will get no argument from me there.

I am interested to see what your findings are when you switch out the keycaps.

I switched out the keys and the rattle, "wiggle" and loose feeling was still present.

I know Ducky used to have poor quality, but I can only go off of my experience with them which is new since I have only recently been introduced to the company.

I understand that the insides may very well be the same, but between feel and advancements, it just seems that Ducky listens to the community and produce a far superior keyboard in terms if FEEL. This with fun backlit options, detachable USB and dip switch options, I just can't justify anyone purchasing any Filco over this keyboard.

If you MUST have Costar stabilizers, I would just wait until WASD V2 is released. However, I don't think Cherry stabilizers are as bad as people make them seem and I actually prefer them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:08:56 by OnTheBrink »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:08:40 »
Looking forward to my Ducky Shine 2 - 78!   :p

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:26:28 »

Awesome board  :cool:
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:41:03 »

Awesome board  :cool:

The backlit friendly PBTs are looking beastly also. Plus the different colors are making me want something other than my white LEDs. I think I may get green or orange when I pick up my blue switches next month.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Ducky-Keyboard/117547488320354?id=117547488320354&_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=440012202740546&id=117547488320354&set=a.117548801653556.22498.117547488320354&__user=1388697713

Offline Batou

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 07:12:13 »
Here is a video as to what I was talking about.

It's not a review video and I have never done a web cam video, let alone one on keyboards so don't judge lol. For some reason my web cam mic makes my voice nasally, lol.

list=PL__n_9ODMKvfwzYEyochqaWekNOVPUFhQ&index=1

Really interesting video, i decided last days to purchase a filco majestouch 2, but Geekhack's member Esoomenona wrote me to take ducky shine 2 into consideration. (i like leds customization)
Now i feel a lot more undecided than before.. orz
But thank for sharing a video so much unbiased, i really apreciated; i also trust a lot Whitefiredragon opinion, since i did watch every single video he made, so now i really don't know what to get ><