Author Topic: Typing for girls with long nails  (Read 47444 times)

Offline Natalie Paige

Typing for girls with long nails
« on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:31:30 »
Hi Folks,

I'm a girl who wears her fingernails naturally longer (I keep the free edge of my nail around 1/5 - 1/4 of an inch - about half a centimeter in metric), anything shorter just doesn't look or feel right for my hands (And I have tried wearing them shorter!)

I've therefore been questing to build a superior keyboard for typing on given this self-imposed disability. I've searched high and low, and while there are some more suitable ones out there - nothing on the market seems fills the need completely.

It's looking like Cherry Blue switches are going to be the best typing switch. I've been recommended the Filco Majestouch-2 http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=805 - which I'm happy with as a good starting point.

The primary issue with typing is that there is no enough empty space around the keys - pressing a key on one row will often mean my nail catching on a key in the row above which can weaken/break the nail.

So my investigations have been around a few areas of customisation, all of which will potentially involve custom 3d printing of keys.

* Key shape modification
Building a slope into each key will allow key travel with less chance of snagging the free edge of the nail:

Or having half keys, these are based on a modified "cyberpunk" cherry key.

* Progressive Key Height modification
e.g. Starting at the lowest row of the keyboard, have taller keys and having those keys progressively shorten as one goes up the rows, again to allow extra space for the fingernail as the key travels down:

So this is as far as I've got with this. I think my next step is to find someone locally with a 3d printer who can print out something like the above and then marry them together with the Filco.

Am I going in the right direction?
Is anyone working on, or has worked on a similar project?
Any ideas for completing the project in a cost effective way?

Many thanks in advance  :)

Kind regards,
Natalie.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Typing for girls with long nails
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:35:35 »
You can try going to Shapeways to see if that might work for you. They do 3D printing online. I know a few people have made caps from that service.

I have a Filco MJ2 and I love it so someone recommended you something nice :)

Welcome to GH! Check out the making stuff together subforum if you want more help!

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 11:25:00 »
I interested to see where this goes. Sounds like a fun project. Too bad I'm sorta useless and can't help  :-\
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 11:54:27 »
Why don't you try a reverse-tilt on the keyboard, i.e. prop up the front of the board and then put your hands on a keyboard cushion. This will make a staggered effect like your second diagram. I do something like this for when I type standing up, but in a much more extreme fashion, it is very comfortable. I can post a photo if it helps.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 11:56:19 »
By the way, you should move the stem of your CADs to the center of the keys, not off to the back edge like you have. Your current design will torque the stems on each keypress.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 12:05:29 »
I would suggest that if the caps were wide horizontal ovals and shortened vertically, you would get the effect you want with better key action. Different switches are more or less happy with off-center and off-axis strikes.

And, since there is a natural curvature to the nails, the curvature would work with you all around. (note that some people (not me!) complain about not liking staggered keys, but they would be a help to you in this situation)

This could be a decent niche market for custom cap makers. "Regular" people might buy some, too, just for looks.

PS - personally, I am a grumpy old man, and don't like the look of long nails, even on supermodels ....
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline mich

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 14:54:39 »
You probably don't keep your fingers as flat as on your pictures when typing because it would be very inefficient and fatiguing. Find out how you really move your hand over the keyboard and design for this.
You probably hit top row keys at lower angle than home and bottom row keys, so it would make sense to make the gap between top row and number row wider than other gaps.
Reverse staggering is uncomfortable.

Generally, you should think a bit about ergonomics if you want to use this gadget for actual typing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:17:40 by mich »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 16:38:10 »
Long nails has been a problem for me as well with Chicklet style boards, most of them catch even my shorter nails.

The simplest fix is go buy a Logitech Illuminated keyboard. They use very low profile keys, like non-Chicklet style laptop keyboards, you could also look for a Cherry ML board. For Cherry MX, an option is to try angling the keyboard towards you a bit, it sounds counter productive but works as it gives your mails more of a slot to slide into between the keys. Otherwise, you just need to look for the lowest profile keys (not flat!) you can find.

Mich also touched on something I found as well.
The F keys, most keyboards have a gap between the number keys and the F keys, so you have never had to aim as accurate on them. Their distance also makes it a stretch to reach up there as well with accuracy. This was a problem for me on my KBT Race, I really missed that gap in there.

I have looked into 3d printers for this very purpose and my conclusion was that the common ones will not have the accuracy needed for a keycap. You need one of the more expensive industrial style models that work with powder and lasers to get it right ($200k+). Unless you have access to one at a university,  the costs will priobably be insane.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 16:59:38 »
Some one has to say this..

cut your nails? :D

girls seem very conscious about their body parts, even down to "hand beauty", where longer fingers are considered more attractive..

BUT.... I add this...

To anyone who "cares" about how your hand look... in either a weird fetish way, or a runway model judge way... It is blatantly obvious how "long" your fingers actually are...

I've seen some females with very long nails on short fingers.. the improvement in appearance is only at best in "distance".. up close, it looks "off"...

long nails also "used" to be a symbol of status, whereby one with said attribute was "NOT" a field worker...

This is not that time... one's hands and the productivity required of them are steeper than ever...

Why sacrifice productivity over something trivial  :confused:

Unless you're a hand model... there's very little reason to do anything about your nails besides trim them.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:10:23 »
blah blah blah blah

Unless you're a hand model... there's very little reason to do anything about your nails besides trim them.

Quit trying to cleverly analyze someones preference.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:20:15 »
Back on topic:

How about reversing the keys so the profile is backwards OP?

Not sure if that would actually help or not but might be worth a shot

that and a keyboard tray with a negative angle might help

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:22:40 »
girls seem very conscious about their body parts, even down to "hand beauty", where longer fingers are considered more attractive..

BUT.... I add this...

To anyone who "cares" about how your hand look... in either a weird fetish way, or a runway model judge way... It is blatantly obvious how "long" your fingers actually are...
If a guy walks down the street looking like a bum no one cares, it's not the same for women. Guys can get away with almost anything in terms of looks and fashion, women are scrutinized constantly, and it goes all the way down to the smallest detail.

And not just by men either, women are vicious about how each other dress. You would be particularly amazed at how many people look at a woman's ring finger.

And guys do obsess about their own bodies as well, for all that women obsess over, guys dump all of that into a single body part, and to be frank, you guys put waaaaay too much emphasis on it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:26:37 »
blah blah blah blah

Quit trying to cleverly analyze someones preference.

So... if your preference is "low productivity"... well, then don't complain about the salary gap.

women have several traits which are IMMENSE obstacles to modern life...

LONG HAIR... HOURS AND HOURS of serving it..

LONG NAILS...

COSMETICS...

You take those away from the average female,, she suddenly has 4 more hours in a day...  :))

for example:

Find any mildly reflective surface at a busy intersection, and watch the women that walk past it....  THAT is time which could've been spent thinking about something "useful"

I've recently read that women make three times more money than men in the adult industries. But yeah, they aren't there for typing, obviously.

Anyway, it surprised me that most of friends that play the guitar (and have long nails because of that) *smash* keys with their nails. They have them quite sturdy for some reason.

Or wouldn't uniform-profile keycaps, and "flat" typing style help?

Offline mich

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 17:58:11 »
Or simply get the best keyboard in the world:

Even half inch nails would fit there. IBM guys knew what they were doing :)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:17:52 »

Buckling springs > Cherry MX Blue, forever!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:24:55 »
I once met a woman who typed with her nails. In other words, she hit the keys with the nails, not the finger tips. I doubt that would be good in the long run.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:38:35 »
I once met a woman who typed with her nails. In other words, she hit the keys with the nails, not the finger tips. I doubt that would be good in the long run.

I remember something similar with my elementary school music teacher.. 2 to 3 inch nails..

she had bad technique :D, but got the job done...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 18:53:20 »
Or simply get the best keyboard in the world:
Show Image

And, of course, if you get a Model M/F and simply pull the caps, you have huge gaps between keys!
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 19:18:45 »
Man I don't know how girls can stand it. My girlfriend happily types away with her long nails. For me, I clip my nails when they bother me when typing. I hate the feeling of my nails hitting the keycap before my finger does. It is especially bad for my because I have this weird typing style where I do everything properly, home row and all, but when you look at my hands I hold them like claws with arched fingers that come straight down.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline jabar

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 19:24:17 »
Some one has to say this..

cut your nails? :D
get out
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:03:31 »
The Unicomp keyboards usually have 2 piece keys for all of the 1 unit caps.  Removing the cap tops does introduce rather wide gaps between them.
Russ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:13:59 »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:17:12 »
The Unicomp keyboards usually have 2 piece keys for all of the 1 unit caps.  Removing the cap tops does introduce rather wide gaps between them.

Only buttons with legends are two piece. Personally I prefer the one piece buttons.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:25:50 »
I like this idea for its functionality. OP has only one post after all this. I hope she comes back and it goes somewhere.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:27:47 »
I like this idea for its functionality. OP has only one post after all this. I hope she comes back and it goes somewhere.

LOL.... seriously? :D

why are you guys worried about not making friends?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 21:28:46 »
LOL ... seriously, you are a troll.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 21:32:03 »

Only buttons with legends are two piece. Personally I prefer the one piece buttons.

Well the new keyboards come with legends, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.  The larger keys may or may not be 2-piece.  It is semi-random.
Russ

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 21:49:14 »

Well the new keyboards come with legends, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.  The larger keys may or may not be 2-piece.  It is semi-random.

Umm, you can order one that's otaku (like mine), so no, 1x keys are not guaranteed to be two-piece. RGB sets are two-piece.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 22:17:55 »

just sayin', seems like everytime an "alleged" female posts, there's a circle j following, and that's weird because mating opportunities online are much more unlikely..

What could one possibly hope to accomplish by being "extra nice" to "alleged" female on the internet?

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 22:22:58 »

just sayin', seems like everytime an "alleged" female posts, there's a circle j following, and that's weird because mating opportunities online are much more unlikely..

What could one possibly hope to accomplish by being "extra nice" to "alleged" female on the internet?

It isn't impossible. I've seen plenty of people who played MMOs together end up meeting irl and some ended up dating for some time.

I actually met my bf playing Aion Online together and we've been dating and living together for a little over 2 years now.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 22:26:17 »

It isn't impossible. I've seen plenty of people who played MMOs together end up meeting irl and some ended up dating for some time.

I actually met my bf playing Aion Online together and we've been dating and living together for a little over 2 years now.

Congrats on that... you're an "exception"

So you went to the casino... that being... instead of actually cultivating relationships in real life.. you did so in a video game...

That's wonderful, and I'm happy that it's worked out for you..

But... the discussion is, that is NOT a good method, if not the WORST... :D

Oh, and Pics + timestamp or it didn't happen

^^ this after numerous scam weddings on RO, people were giving away Emperiums

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 23:15:05 »

LOL.... seriously? :D

why are you guys worried about not making friends?

Far be it from me to take away your no effort trolling with a small amount of logic(especially since it seems like you already can't respond again.  High five on not making it a full day), but this sounds more like he's hopeful the custom keycap project goes somewhere, not his chances of hitting it off with her personally.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 00:32:28 »
OP: please excuse our resident troll.
Russ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 03:31:34 »
When they reach much over 1/4in overhang you pretty much have to.
I've never found it comfortable though.

Congrats on that... you're an "exception"
So you went to the casino... that being... instead of actually cultivating relationships in real life.. you did so in a video game...
That's wonderful, and I'm happy that it's worked out for you..
But... the discussion is, that is NOT a good method, if not the WORST... :D
Online is now the third most common way to meet your spouse, not just meet someone.

So no, she's not the exception.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 04:56:38 »
Online is now the third most common way to meet your spouse, not just meet someone.
in the states?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 05:25:49 »
in the states?
Yes.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 07:39:44 »
My wife's brother met his wife on an online game. They have been happily married for 12-15 years now and have 3 kids.

I want to add my voice to those being disgusted by the (small number of) misogynistic trolls in this forum.

We should welcome and value female opinions here. They are 51% of the Earth's population, after all.

Offline iri

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 08:08:01 »
sadly not that much of keyboard geeks
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 13:21:59 »

Umm, you can order one that's otaku (like mine), so no, 1x keys are not guaranteed to be two-piece. RGB sets are two-piece.

There are no guarantees, yes.  They seem to do things that are semi-random.
Russ

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 14:46:05 »
Far be it from me to take away your no effort trolling with a small amount of logic(especially since it seems like you already can't respond again.  High five on not making it a full day), but this sounds more like he's hopeful the custom keycap project goes somewhere, not his chances of hitting it off with her personally.

The custom keycaps I've seen thus far have been different colors or tiny sculptures which is great. But this one is a whole different shape so it can serve a specialized purpose. That's even better. There should be more innovation like this.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 15:14:27 »
Buy a Topre keyboard.

Pull off the caps.

voila - you now have a perfectly sized "key" surface (the stem of the Topre switch) big enough to feel, and type on, but small enough not to break your finger nails.

Before somebody retorts... Yes I am 100% serious, not trolling. This is the closest to what the OP wants, without having to go and design custom key caps.

Edit;
Or take a Dremel, and get rid of the back end of all your key caps where the nail will go. That will make for an interesting conversation piece, for sure...
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 15:17:53 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 16:38:15 »
Buy a Topre keyboard.

Pull off the caps.

voila - you now have a perfectly sized "key" surface (the stem of the Topre switch) big enough to feel, and type on, but small enough not to break your finger nails.

Before somebody retorts... Yes I am 100% serious, not trolling. This is the closest to what the OP wants, without having to go and design custom key caps.

Edit;
Or take a Dremel, and get rid of the back end of all your key caps where the nail will go. That will make for an interesting conversation piece, for sure...

what a joke... :D

those things are not wide enough.. you'd have such a hard time with horizontal movements.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 17:05:57 »
Refer to my post #18

If you have access to a Model M/F, then you can pull the caps and get several mm of open space in each direction.

At least you could test the spacing at no cost or waste, except for the time pulling the caps and putting them back on.

Offline Natalie Paige

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:21:06 »
Thank you to everyone for your input on this. More specifically:

@CPTBadAss: Thank you for the suggestion of Shapeways, I've seen their site but I dont know how economical it will be to have keycaps made through them especially to send to UK - Also glad to know the Filco is a good starting choice.

@Lunartuna: Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

@dotancohen: Good idea about the reverse tilt, I have been trying something like that - Be nice if the keyboards actually had legs to enable that - but they only do in the other (Wrong direction).
Thanks for the input on the stems as well.

@mich: Very true this device will have to have some serious forethought and design put into it if it is going to be useable. Thank you for the suggestion of the Model M - I'm very tempted to have that as second keyboard (The one for home), I'm not sure how long the Click/Clack will entertain me though!

@tp4tissue: Your suggestions are not without merit and trimming my nails is something I often consider. It's not so much as a status symbol for me as it is a aesthetic thing (But realise it's not everyone's thing)

@JesuswasaZombie: Interesting take - reversing the keys, can see the thinking behind it - but don't know how much it would improve things on a typical keyboard. Good to see another Buckling Spring afficionado :)

@davkol: Another great suggestion, hitting nails with keys. I typically get very anxious about doing that for the risks of breaks. I do use a nail hardener (Sally Hansen Diamond Strength) as I imagine your guitar friends do - Perhaps changing to a more effective hardener would do the trick - What do your friends use?

@Findecanor, @tp4tissue: Typing with the nails not so good at all in the long run - they just stress and break eventually :(

@fohat.digs: Thank you also for the input on the stems, and agree about the staggering - it would definitely help with the problem - Pulling off the keycaps on the Model M may be a bit extreme but I can see your thinking. My main concern then would be being able to type on whatever's left without damaging my fingertips - what are the stems like??

@rknize, @OrangeJewce - Thank you for the suggestion of the Unicomp keyboards I will have a closer look at this.

@1839cc: Thank you for your support - I too hope it goes somewhere and it is possible to have this different shape created for this specialized purpose!

@Flip: Could you have stumbled upon the solution using the Topre Stems? Sounds too easy! I've not really looked into Topre - Can you suggest a model?

@Leslieann: Great to have another girl geek's input about this - I've checked out the Logitech Illuminated and it does look intriguing - I'd not heard of Cherry ML Switches - Another area of research for me... I tried chiclet style keys and agree they are completely unsuitable. Your estimation of cost is probably accurate - I'd never look to buy this kind of printer just "borrow" it.
Very true words spoken about appearance and how it seems to matter so much.

There is more of you to thank and respond to I'm sorry who I've missed out so far. If I can generate enough interest in the idea of these specific type of custom keycaps, I may look to go in with other interested parties to have them made in a batch, once design and switch type had been finalized...

Many thanks,

Natalie x

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:28:09 »
@davkol: Another great suggestion, hitting nails with keys. I typically get very anxious about doing that for the risks of breaks. I do use a nail hardener (Sally Hansen Diamond Strength) as I imagine your guitar friends do - Perhaps changing to a more effective hardener would do the trick - What do your friends use?

One doesn't use anything like that. The other one... well, if I manage to meet him anytime soon, I'll ask him.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 20:19:17 »
 :)) lol tp4, I swear ! I have typed on it with no caps. It may not be quite as fast, but can you really go that fast with those long ass nails any ways?

I figured it out by having to replace the key caps on my HHKB Pro 2.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 20:30:10 »
IBM buckling spring keyboards (Models M and F) have 2-piece keys, called "stems" and "caps"

Caps are literally just "skins" and stems are fully functioning on their own.

First picture below is the naked board with stems but not caps, second picture is complete board.

edit - actually the center arrow keys stem does have a blank cap on it, in the top photo, so you can see how big (thick) it is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 20:31:48 by fohat.digs »

Offline iri

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 00:10:19 »
Even typing on topre without keycaps is more pleasant than typing on buckling springs' stems.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Saturn

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 02:41:09 »
When they reach much over 1/4in overhang you pretty much have to.
I've never found it comfortable though.

I would think that in the long run, it'd be very bad for the fingers.  Perhaps not though, maybe it depends on the lightness of the key switch.  I'd think the force which is directed to the key would be distributed all wrong, since normally that force would be going directly through your fingertip, rather than through the nail area.

I've known some girls with long nails who typed fine, though.  I never asked how they did it, but they seemed okay, so perhaps it's less of a keycap issue and more of a technique issue?  Maybe it would be possible to type with the fingers more flattened and extended, so that the nails extend forwards rather than directly downwards into the keycap as they would if you typed with the fingers curved.  Maybe similar to the flat fingered technique that the pianist Vladimir Horowitz used to use.  Admittedly, many criticized that aspect of his playing.

I recognize the attractiveness of long nails, but that which is attractive is often directly in contrast with that which is functional and, in some cases, healthy.  Consider the age old issue of high heels and the havoc they wreak upon the natural weight supporting structure of the leg, and by extension the entire posture.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 04:25:58 »
I would think that in the long run, it'd be very bad for the fingers.  Perhaps not though, maybe it depends on the lightness of the key switch.  I'd think the force which is directed to the key would be distributed all wrong, since normally that force would be going directly through your fingertip, rather than through the nail area.

I've known some girls with long nails who typed fine, though.  I never asked how they did it, but they seemed okay, so perhaps it's less of a keycap issue and more of a technique issue?  Maybe it would be possible to type with the fingers more flattened and extended, so that the nails extend forwards rather than directly downwards into the keycap as they would if you typed with the fingers curved.  Maybe similar to the flat fingered technique that the pianist Vladimir Horowitz used to use.  Admittedly, many criticized that aspect of his playing.

I recognize the attractiveness of long nails, but that which is attractive is often directly in contrast with that which is functional and, in some cases, healthy.  Consider the age old issue of high heels and the havoc they wreak upon the natural weight supporting structure of the leg, and by extension the entire posture.
I don't know about the long term health of it, but some do it for years.
Personally, I don't let mine get even 1/4in overhang, it becomes a chore to type and working in I.T., I spend a lot of time typing. Plus, when mine get that long, they just become too delicate. If I have to assemble a computer, I will break one, no question.

Most women are keeping them shorter these days anyhow. So many work with keyboards, not to mention more and more are taking formerly male dominated jobs, but a bigger driving aspect now is touch screens. Long nails can make them a royal pain in the neck.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More