Author Topic: "Open Source" Generic keyboard controller, Round 2  (Read 7707 times)

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
"Open Source" Generic keyboard controller, Round 2
« on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 22:01:59 »
I'm thinking on to bring the "HID Liberation Project" back from the dead and I would like to know about the GH interest on it.

It's more an interest check:

I would love to see one open source generic keyboard controller using the modularity idea applied into the JeeLabs boards (something like the Gravity Plug or the Output Plug).

I did some research trying to find anyone selling or building the Aikon board without success. It seems Aikon is dead and buried (sadly). It wasn't even 100% open source anyway.

As far as I know there is no Open Source Keyboard Controller available out there (at least no "living" project).

I saw the old topics trying to build this generic controller:
"Open Source" Generic keyboard controller
Experimenting with the AIKON Controller
Aikon Firmware and Software Information

Anyone?
I'm beating a dead horse?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 09:18:01 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline regack

Re: "Open Source" Generic keyboard controller, Round 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 10:46:29 »
Well...

I threw this together based on Komar007's setup for the GH60.  It moves the controller and everything needed onto this board but breaks out all the connections into a 2x16 through-hole pin array... then I determined that SMD soldering is not for me, so I abandoned this in favor of something else.  Of course, if this was manufactured in bulk, it could make stuff more accessible.  It fits between rows of keys much better than a Teensy does.

Anyway, I can post the files if someone wants to take it further.

Offline wcass

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 10:56:17 »
If you want to do this you must understand that if it is good, someone WILL steal your work and make money off of it and you will not get any credit at all. That is what happened with the Aikon. If you are prepared for that then please continue.

The defacto hardware standard is the Teensy, Teensy ++, or other Atmel based USB boards. Personally, i don't think there is a need to re-engineer the hardware.

I thought the Aikon had a fantastic UI. if you could create a UI like that (but offer layers, macros, and extended key sets) for the Teensys then you would be golden. Look to Soarer and Hasu for technical guidance.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 10:58:13 by wcass »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 11:17:53 »
I did reproduce the AIKON at one point. I did give them credit though. Regardless, I tried running AIKON code on the Teensy, but faltered to realize that the AIKON runs at 8MHz when the Teensy is at 12 or 16 (don't recall)

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 12:28:05 »
... I threw this together based on Komar007's setup for the GH60.  It moves the controller and everything needed onto this board but breaks out all the connections into a 2x16 through-hole pin array ...
Awesome work! Exactly (almost) what I had in mind!  :D

... then I determined that SMD soldering is not for me, so I abandoned this in favor of something else.  Of course, if this was manufactured in bulk, it could make stuff more accessible.
Yup, SMD soldering is not an easy task. My initial idea was something like the DIP Aikon version although, now, I'm more inclined to work with a SMD version (the uC, IMHO, is the only real hard component to solder). Size really matters ...

It fits between rows of keys much better than a Teensy does.
Yes, this is one of my major concerns, followed by size, modularity and simplicity.
I'll post some drawings later with some design ideas.

(Attachment Link)
Oh yes! I want that!  :)
------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to do this you must understand that if it is good, someone WILL steal your work and make money off of it and you will not get any credit at all.
Sorry, it's not always like this? That's what open source is - no guarantee at all, at least we will have something that we want exactly how we want. Cammon, we are talking about just one keyboard controller - it's not rocket science.

That is what happened with the Aikon.
Didn't know about that. Whom is using it?

If you are prepared for that then please continue.
I'm planning to continue - but it will depend of the IC. I wouldn't like to play alone!

The defacto hardware standard is the Teensy, Teensy ++, or other Atmel based USB boards. Personally, i don't think there is a need to re-engineer the hardware.
I do agree - I'm not thinking  in re-engineer the hardware. My idea is to re-design the board - move the components to make it easier to solder into the matrix, easier to expand and easier to build at home.
Teensy is just a development platform, a prototype tool, it's not an final "product", it wasn't built to be used inside a keyboard, it was built to fit into a breadboard.

I thought the Aikon had a fantastic UI. if you could create a UI like that (but offer layers, macros, and extended key sets) for the Teensys then you would be golden. Look to Soarer and Hasu for technical guidance.
I liked the Aikon gui very much too, indeed it's way cool!

I did reproduce the AIKON at one point. I did give them credit though. Regardless, I tried running AIKON code on the Teensy, but faltered to realize that the AIKON runs at 8MHz when the Teensy is at 12 or 16 (don't recall)
Do you have the Aikon code?  ;D
gimme gimme gimme!!!
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 13:02:23 by agodinhost »
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:23:58 »

(Attachment Link)
Oh yes! I want that!  :)

This is based on the work done by Komar007 for the GH60, I haven't tested this thing myself.  I discovered through another project that putting this thing together wasn't for me.

github

Offline wcass

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 16:15:52 »
you can send a PM to Inornate to ask for the code (i believe that he was one of the two developers). i don't remeber if i heard the story about IP theft from him or read it in on one of the boards. it was originally published on OTD so you might research there.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 07:47:17 »
This is based on the work done by Komar007 for the GH60, I haven't tested this thing myself.  I discovered through another project that putting this thing together wasn't for me.
github
Awesome, thanks very much my friend!

[/quote]
you can send a PM to Inornate to ask for the code (i believe that he was one of the two developers). i don't remeber if i heard the story about IP theft from him or read it in on one of the boards. it was originally published on OTD so you might research there.
wcass, could you help me on this? I don't know the guy neither I know Korean. I'm mostly interested in the Aikon GUI, the firmware itself is okay, would be good to take a look on it's source code too - sure, but we are already using the tmk_keyboard variants a lot. IMHO our guys are already used to tmk.

please? :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 March 2013, 07:52:08 by agodinhost »