Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 398267 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:21:24 »
Don't judge me too hard for my WI reppin'.   :-*

Show Image

Amaretto sour + Summer Weiss beer

Excellent use of the graduated beaker  ;)

This one's legit.  I used this beaker in my lab.  :D  Hopefully I cleaned it well enough!

No worries - sterilized with alcohol. 

I cook my ramen at work in a 2L graduated beaker over a bunson burner  :thumb:

2L beaker, that's hard core.   :thumb:   Biggest I ever got to use was 1L.  But that was only ever for an ice bath or a quench anyway.  :P

I'm imagining a 2L mixed drink right now......     :eek:

I just went to get a picture of the 2L and what do you know, it's gone.  I guess someone broke it.  It's been a few months since I used it.  Guess I will have to use the 3.5L or the 1L

(Attachment Link)

You are a chemist... ?  We should talk sometime.  Not about anything in particular, just for funsies. 

Also, mad jelly of the 3.5L.   :cool:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:22:56 »
Don't judge me too hard for my WI reppin'.   :-*

Show Image

Amaretto sour + Summer Weiss beer

Excellent use of the graduated beaker  ;)

This one's legit.  I used this beaker in my lab.  :D  Hopefully I cleaned it well enough!

No worries - sterilized with alcohol. 

I cook my ramen at work in a 2L graduated beaker over a bunson burner  :thumb:

2L beaker, that's hard core.   :thumb:   Biggest I ever got to use was 1L.  But that was only ever for an ice bath or a quench anyway.  :P

I'm imagining a 2L mixed drink right now......     :eek:

I just went to get a picture of the 2L and what do you know, it's gone.  I guess someone broke it.  It's been a few months since I used it.  Guess I will have to use the 3.5L or the 1L

(Attachment Link)

You are a chemist... ?  We should talk sometime.  Not about anything in particular, just for funsies. 

Also, mad jelly of the 3.5L.   :cool:

Nah.  Experimental Fermentation Biologist (think food stuffs/vitamins/etc... not beer unfortunately).  I still have to know my chem though and use it daily.   
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #602 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:29:29 »
Nah.  Experimental Fermentation Biologist (think food stuffs/vitamins/etc... not beer unfortunately).  I still have to know my chem though and use it daily.   

Oh awesome!  I took a class called Advanced Fermentation and Biocatalysis Lab.  That was pretty sweet.  We used these cool 5L (I think?) reactors.  I made a protein in E Coli and smashed them to recover it.   :thumb:

Is that at all close to what you do, or is that a huge field and your work is entirely unrelated?

(sorry for highjacking this thread, everyone ever)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #603 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:26:43 »
Heheh. Beer over ice... yeah that is generally a pretty big faux pas. But... you should try a Radler slushie sometime.

This over shaved/crushed ice and drop in a shot of cointreau it's really good on hot days.

Now sipping on some Green Flash Le Freak. It's a dry hopped very fruity/sweet semi dry Belgian/IPA at 9%. Not much to dislike here besides it being $7 a bottle.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:54:58 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #604 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:38:21 »
More WI beer...   :rolleyes:

There's much more where this came from...  :P

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #605 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:44:12 »
I need to start drinking every night so I can share all the cool bottle/can art here
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #606 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:45:08 »
I need to start drinking every night

yes

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #607 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:49:23 »
I haven't had a beer in over a month. Beer therapy thread?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #608 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:51:01 »

:confused:  I don't understand.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #609 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:52:13 »

:confused:  I don't understand.

I haven't had a beer, and I am in the beer thread...need therapy!

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #610 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:57:13 »
I need to start drinking every night so I can share all the cool bottle/can art here
Sometimes I skip check-ins on Untappd because I worry what people will think of my drinking habits  :))

Had this one recently and it was fantastic - very sweet, lots of vanilla, but it works so well with the rich stout flavor and that thick mouthfeel!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #611 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 19:55:43 »
I shall continue to spam this thread with WI beers.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #612 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:53:42 »
Okay, last WI spam for tonight, I promise.

Maybe next time I go to the store I'll pick up some beer from out of town.  :P

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #613 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:54:24 »

Show Image

How is the WI beer community?  Many new craft brews?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #614 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:58:56 »

Show Image

We've got quite a few if you're lookin' for em.  New Glarus (SW WI), Wisconsin Brewing Co (mke), Lakefront Brewing (mke), and Capital Brewery (Madison) are IMO the best known micros in the state, and are all really good.  I've posted a few pictures from these four in this thread.  ;)

I think you'll find a slightly better selection and number of breweries in a state with a bigger city.  MN Twin Cities has a really respectable micro brewery scene.  That said, mke's history of brewing still appeals to me more.  :P

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #615 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:07:38 »

Show Image

We've got quite a few if you're lookin' for em.  New Glarus (SW WI), Wisconsin Brewing Co (mke), Lakefront Brewing (mke), and Capital Brewery (Madison) are IMO the best known micros in the state, and are all really good.  I've posted a few pictures from these four in this thread.  ;)

I think you'll find a slightly better selection and number of breweries in a state with a bigger city.  MN Twin Cities has a really respectable micro brewery scene.  That said, mke's history of brewing still appeals to me more.  :P

Nice.  I just noticed that 2 of the 3 most recent posts were Lagers.  Is that a personal preference or is that what the scene is over there?  On the West Coast, everything is "how strong can we make our IPA".  I myself prefer stouts or dark beers - the richer and stronger the better  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #616 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:09:14 »

Show Image

Nice.  I just noticed that 2 of the 3 most recent posts were Lagers.  Is that a personal preference or is that what the scene is over there?  On the West Coast, everything is "how strong can we make our IPA".  I myself prefer stouts or dark beers - the richer and stronger the better  :thumb:

Oh, we've got the whole IPA thing going over here too.  :P  I just cherry pick the lagers and ales out.  Stouts are a bit too rich for my blood, and IPAs a tad too bitter.  Both are slowly growing on me though, so I am expanding as I see fit.  :)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #617 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:09:58 »

Show Image

Seriously, I'm so tired of IPA's, they're cool here and there but when 30 out of 50 taps are IPA's, we have a problem Huston. One of my local spots got rid of the ONE GOOD WHEAT BEER and replaced it with 5 more IPA's, like wtf? Ok cool, 35 IPA's on tap now, that's a good idea.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #618 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:16:28 »
I think you just threw down the gauntlet!

Btw I desperately need to setup some trades for New Glarus offerings, they make some *great* stuff!

Seriously, I'm so tired of IPA's, they're cool here and there but when 30 out of 50 taps are IPA's, we have a problem Huston. One of my local spots got rid of the ONE GOOD WHEAT BEER and replaced it with 5 more IPA's, like wtf? Ok cool, 35 IPA's on tap now, that's a good idea.
They are the hot thing right now but sours are starting to get really popular, I think you'll be seeing more breweries trying their hand at those... I really do love IPA though, so refreshing on a hot day (but then again so is a nice sour!) Definitely agree it shouldn't dominate the tap list.

KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #619 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:18:02 »
I think you just threw down the gauntlet!
Show Image

Btw I desperately need to setup some trades for New Glarus offerings, they make some *great* stuff!

They are the hot thing right now but sours are starting to get really popular, I think you'll be seeing more breweries trying their hand at those... I really do love IPA though, so refreshing on a hot day (but then again so is a nice sour!) Definitely agree it shouldn't dominate the tap list.

I really like Firestone btw, nice pic! :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #620 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:20:30 »

The problem is that most of the IPAs on tap are mediocre to **** and at least 10 of the the 35 taste almost identical, that being mild piney or dank hop taste with too strong of a malty backbone.  If they explored the whole range of hops flavors, the floral, the tropical, the earthy, the citrusy, and so on, and also were more balanced without so much malts, they'd be better; however, IPAs on taps are disappointing 9 out of 10 places.

I'm a massive hop head and love IPAs, but I agree that we need more variety.  Put a witbier, belgian white, triple or quad belgian, stouts, and porters on tap and cycle in a gose or two, some sours, and other interesting more difficult to find styles.  You don't need 20 IPAs, 10 lagers, and 10 pilsners on tap.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #621 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:21:05 »
Good man, stouts are still my favorite - bring on the Imperial Russian! Since you are in So Cal I assume you're familiar with the good ones from Stone, The Bruery, AleSmith, et. al? I feel lucky to have so many good breweries around here (my wallet doesn't though!)
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #622 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:22:59 »
Safeway's come a long way : ' ]

west coast best coast ily stone ily ipa

diary of a clacktalk

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #623 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:23:15 »
Not enough Drake's in southern California.  And I would kill for an Iron Horse Brewing Quilter's Irish Death or Mocha Death down here.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #624 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:24:49 »

The problem is that most of the IPAs on tap are mediocre to **** and at least 10 of the the 35 taste almost identical, that being mild piney or dank hop taste with too strong of a malty backbone.  If they explored the whole range of hops flavors, the floral, the tropical, the earthy, the citrusy, and so on, and also were more balanced without so much malts, they'd be better; however, IPAs on taps are disappointing 9 out of 10 places.

I'm a massive hop head and love IPAs, but I agree that we need more variety.  Put a witbier, belgian white, triple or quad belgian, stouts, and porters on tap and cycle in a gose or two, some sours, and other interesting more difficult to find styles.  You don't need 20 IPAs, 10 lagers, and 10 pilsners on tap.

Dude, you couldn't have said it any better, that's exactly what I'm talking about.. :thumb: :thumb:

I pretty sure I offended the waitress when I asked her for a pint of my fav and she said that they got rid of it for 5 IPA's, I gave her a stare of pure hatred like YOU DID WHAT?!. :o

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #625 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:31:57 »
Good man, stouts are still my favorite - bring on the Imperial Russian! Since you are in So Cal I assume you're familiar with the good ones from Stone, The Bruery, AleSmith, et. al? I feel lucky to have so many good breweries around here (my wallet doesn't though!)

Yup!  I have tried many of them, but have soooooo many more  ;D.  Me and Nubbinator met at The Bruery several months ago for a bit of tasting (most of which were darks - and one sour that was too much for me). 

Speaking of which, that needs to happen again - maybe do Green Flash or Iron Fist?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #626 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:33:04 »

Yup!  I have tried many of them, but have soooooo many more  ;D.  Me and Nubbinator met at The Bruery several months ago for a bit of tasting (most of which were darks - and one sour that was too much for me). 

Speaking of which, that needs to happen again - maybe do Green Flash or Iron Fist?

I'm down for some place.  Hopefully we can get some more people to come out.  And if you're local, in OC, and of age and want to come down to San Diego, we can carpool.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #627 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:40:49 »

I'm down for some place.  Hopefully we can get some more people to come out.  And if you're local, in OC, and of age and want to come down to San Diego, we can carpool.

Sounds like a plan waiting to happen! I haven't been to Green Flash yet but I like the beers I've had from them. Societe is another good SD local... speaking of SD, AleSmith will have some great stuff on tap this Saturday if anyone is interested in meeting up. I plan on leaving OC early (expecting Comic-con traffic) & getting there close to opening
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #628 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:42:14 »

Trade for New Glarus?  I'm in.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #629 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:58:19 »

Sounds like a plan waiting to happen! I haven't been to Green Flash yet but I like the beers I've had from them. Societe is another good SD local... speaking of SD, AleSmith will have some great stuff on tap this Saturday if anyone is interested in meeting up. I plan on leaving OC early (expecting Comic-con traffic) & getting there close to opening

I wish I got involved with GH earlier : [ I'm in the Bay Area now and am missing all the breweries around SD so much. I guess I'll go back to reminiscing while I drink my Stone IPAs : '''''' [
diary of a clacktalk

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #630 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:59:46 »

I am out for this weekend (moving), but after that, I don't need much notice (or excuse) to meet up for some tasting.  Or equally, I would be down for meeting and the bottle house and heading back to my place (now in Vista) for some BBQ to go with the beer (BBQ zuccini for Nubs  :thumb:). 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #631 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:10:26 »
I'm heading to the fair this weekend, else it would be in order.  And either of those plans sounds awesome Badwrench. 

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #632 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:12:20 »
I really enjoy this:

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #633 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:04:32 »
diary of a clacktalk

Offline iri

« Reply #634 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:35:39 »
Even though the glass is labeled "Grimbergen", it's actually Blanche de Brussels haha
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:48:52 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 23:45:56 »
Smog City Coffee Porter tonight.  I thought I was going to love it, but so far it's just meh.  It scores well on beer snob sites, but it's water thin, too over the top in coffee taste, and has a trailing bitterness at the end that just doesn't seem to mesh with the beer, though I guess I could view it as coffee bitterness; however, the type of bitter isn't the bitter you get with a good coffee that's been brewed properly, but is closer to a boozy Starbucks or 7/11 coffee.  It's just a burnt coffee bitterness.  I can see where some people would like it, but I like porters to be almost chewy and better balanced. 

If you don't try new things, you never learn what you do and don't like.

Offline iri

« Reply #636 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:45:25 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #637 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:41:05 »
Show Image

Really? What does it taste like?
Original Altbier is not pale! It looks to me who hasn't tasted it as if they are merely abusing the pedigree of genuine Alt to market their American Pale Ale. If they are truly doing that then they deserve to be flogged publicly in the streets of Düsseldorf!

Real altbier from the Westphalia region in Germany is delicious, and tastes nothing like APA. The American beer that is APA is awful IMHO, like Pabst Blue Ribbon made from Grapefruit.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #638 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:23:26 »
Show Image

Really? What does it taste like?
Original Altbier is not pale! It looks to me who hasn't tasted it as if they are merely abusing the pedigree of genuine Alt to market their American Pale Ale. If they are truly doing that then they deserve to be flogged publicly in the streets of Düsseldorf!

Not true. People tend to think that because the most popular Altbier from Düsseldorf is dark. Alt simply means old, which refers to the old brewing style aka top fermented vs. the new, bottom fermented style. Has nothing to do with the colour or even the taste. My home city's Altbier is in fact pale.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #639 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:35:01 »
Not true. People tend to think that because the most popular Altbier from Düsseldorf is dark. Alt simply means old, which refers to the old brewing style aka top fermented vs. the new, bottom fermented style.
OK. I admit I have only drunk Altbier from Düsseldorf (in Düsseldorf).

I have a lot of hatred for APA right now. That hipster-crap is so popular that lots of beers that have been given other designations have been brewed with American hops so they taste like APA, and that bugs the L out of me. When I order a stout or a wheat-beer, I want beer that tastes like I would expect stout or wheat-beer, respectively to taste like and not yet another APA.
BTW, there is a Swedish expression "Det smakar apa", I.e. "It tastes like monkey" for something that tastes bad.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:41:34 by Findecanor »

Offline iri

« Reply #640 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 07:38:55 »
IPA smakar apa.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #641 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 08:05:01 »
Stupid Reinheitsgebot ruinig all the fun here in Germany. Good thing our Belgian neighbors don't give a **** about that stuff and produce some very interesting beers instead.

Been cycling yesterday and found a very good beer shop like 20km away from home. That's not how sport is supposed to work...

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #642 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:27:57 »
The Bruery has this Sour in the Rye with Pineapple & Coconut on tap right now...

it honestly sounded kind of gross to me since I don't really care for either pineapple or coconut, but damn does it make for a good sour beer! I think I probably consumed an unhealthy amount of yeast over the weekend :))
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #643 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 18:24:22 »
Stupid Reinheitsgebot ruinig all the fun here in Germany. Good thing our Belgian neighbors don't give a **** about that stuff and produce some very interesting beers instead.

Show Image

Been cycling yesterday and found a very good beer shop like 20km away from home. That's not how sport is supposed to work...

Some of those are good belgium style baseline beer, La Trappe's and Bernardus' quads are pretty solid from what I remember, though I think that kriek might be sweetened (which isn't uncommon but is gross).

If you like quads (eg Chimay Blue) check out Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 and Westy (if you can find it)

Also, if you like the unsweetened sour styles you should have a ton of good stuff you can pick up from any bottleshop with a good selection of Belgian beers but off the top of my head Gueuze Boon, 3Fonteinen, Hansens and Cantillon will all be amazing, especially compared to that sweet crap. (I'm a little biased :p )
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 August 2014, 18:26:04 by jwaz »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #644 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 20:26:05 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #645 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:29:58 »

Show Image

Some of those are good belgium style baseline beer, La Trappe's and Bernardus' quads are pretty solid from what I remember, though I think that kriek might be sweetened (which isn't uncommon but is gross).

If you like quads (eg Chimay Blue) check out Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 and Westy (if you can find it)

Also, if you like the unsweetened sour styles you should have a ton of good stuff you can pick up from any bottleshop with a good selection of Belgian beers but off the top of my head Gueuze Boon, 3Fonteinen, Hansens and Cantillon will all be amazing, especially compared to that sweet crap. (I'm a little biased :p )

That Lindemans Kriek is actually awesome. I don't think they add any additional sugar. It's a lambic that gets it's second fermentation through the cherry's fructose that are added to it. Has a more sour taste.

The Chimay blue is my favourite of the three Chimays, but I like the Rochefort 10 you mentioned even more, but it's kind of hard to get here, unlike the La Trappes which I usually buy in sixpacks in the Netherlands when I get there. Will also see if I can try some of the beer you mentioned when I get to Enschede next time, they have some nice bars with a wide selection of belgian beers there.

What do you mean by Westy? Westmalle or Westvleteren? The latter is an absolute PITA to get your hands on.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #646 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 12:32:19 »
Brouwerij Van Eecke is a really good Belgian brewery. Kapittel, Livinus and Cuvée are really excellent. They are pretty rare to come across around me sadly. For around here we do get a lot of Brouwerij Van Steenberge stuff. Some of it is OK like Piraat, Bruegel and Gulden Drak, but Diablesa 666 and Vampire are nicer ones but are much harder for me to come by. Brouwerij De Block Satan is another I would recommend if you come across it.
As far as Lambics go I am really fond of Faro. That's a really sweet one though as it's made with candy sugar.

Offline iri

« Reply #647 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:37:50 »

Show Image

*iri tried all of these

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #648 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:01:51 »

Show Image

*iri tried all of these

How did you like the one behind the LaTrappe?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #649 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:15:51 »
Drinking some Hefeweizen tonight.  I've decided this is one of my favourite styles of beer.

BEER by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr