Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 396979 times)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #700 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:40:37 »
I had a split homebrew batch and only one was supposed to be infected. The other got infected though probably because my airlock in both was home made and not as air tight as I thought they were. Oh well, they both smell delicious and I'm sure will taste great.

First bucket that wasn't supposed to be infected:

Infected on purpose bucket:

The recipe is for the Jamil Saison with theyeastbay saison/brett blend yeast.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #701 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:13:00 »
Just found this thread! Anyone in the Northeast like Maine beer?  :D Currently live in Portland, 20 breweries in the metro area which is apparently the highest concentration in the country. Half a mile or so from The Great Lost Bear (70+ brews on tap!).

Geary's Halloween recently started flowing, a family favorite here. If you get the chance I recommend it, surpassed only by their Hampshire Ale I think. Will have to snap some pics  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #702 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:23:29 »
Just found this thread! Anyone in the Northeast like Maine beer?  :D Currently live in Portland, 20 breweries in the metro area which is apparently the highest concentration in the country. Half a mile or so from The Great Lost Bear (70+ brews on tap!).

Geary's Halloween recently started flowing, a family favorite here. If you get the chance I recommend it, surpassed only by their Hampshire Ale I think. Will have to snap some pics  :thumb:

Just as I suspected.  :P

I don't live in the NE, but I've been out to Maine before.  If I ever make it out there again I'm sure I'll be letting you know.  :)  And I'll have to try some brews too!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #703 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:30:58 »

I don't live in the NE, but I've been out to Maine before.  If I ever make it out there again I'm sure I'll be letting you know.  :)  And I'll have to try some brews too!

Do it! Just come out during the not-Winter. Seriously gorgeous weather during the Summer/Fall. The beers may be good, but the weather can be ****.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #704 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 15:42:31 »

Do it! Just come out during the not-Winter. Seriously gorgeous weather during the Summer/Fall. The beers may be good, but the weather can be ****.

Well I was out there last time to backpack the Appalachians in NH (in the summer) with my brother in law and his friend, so it's quite possible that when I return next we'll be doing some winter packing.  ;)  Otherwise, I'll be sure to avoid the winter.  Though honestly it's probably not too much different from here.  :P

Oh, and I noticed that your scenery and weather was strikingly similar to northern WI, which was very welcome.   :thumb:

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #705 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 16:42:13 »

If you can send me some Heady Topper and/or Pliny the elder/younger I'd be forever in your debt, and send you some of my homebrews that are quite tasty.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #706 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 17:17:45 »
I had a split homebrew batch and only one was supposed to be infected. The other got infected though probably because my airlock in both was home made and not as air tight as I thought they were. Oh well, they both smell delicious and I'm sure will taste great.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Infected with what? What are we looking at here?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #707 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:13:26 »

If you can send me some Heady Topper and/or Pliny the elder/younger I'd be forever in your debt, and send you some of my homebrews that are quite tasty.

Those are two tall orders, haha. But I'll keep my eyes peeled  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:16:55 by pr0ximity »

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #708 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:27:16 »
I tried some sour beers for the first time at my local brewery with MythicalWagyu (along with his roommate) and it was surprisingly good. I had a great time, thanks for letting me discover some new beers MythicalWagyu!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #709 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 21:54:32 »
I tried some sour beers for the first time at my local brewery with MythicalWagyu (along with his roommate) and it was surprisingly good. I had a great time, thanks for letting me discover some new beers MythicalWagyu!

Sours are some of my favorites! Definitely a departure from the norm, but in a good way. Also not something I get frequently so they're quite a treat to myself  ;D

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #710 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 22:24:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Infected with what? What are we looking at here?

brettanomyces bacteria.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #711 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 22:14:08 »

Yee!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 22:16:11 »
Show Image

Show Image

Yee!

Had to sneak in the VT220, didn't ya.  :P

Looks delicious......   ^-^   Nice!

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #713 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 22:25:54 »

Love it.

-Me too.

FINALLY you say something worthwhile...
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 August 2014, 22:27:37 by The Mad Professor »
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 02:13:04 »

love that Dali inspired label.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 23:26:21 »
I rarely have a beer that makes me take a step back and really ponder it and its complexity, but the Stone Collaboration Xocoveza Mocha Stout is fantastic.  It's like mocha stout meets Mexican hot chocolate.  It's almost not beer.  If you draw it across your tongue, it explodes and releases a ton of flavor and develops a foamy head.  So delicious.

Offline iri

« Reply #716 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 04:39:07 »
by a strange coincidence, "mocha" is "piss" in russian.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
« Reply #717 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:48:53 »
I'm getting antsy waiting for Bruery Terreux to open up. Can't get enough sours! :)

I rarely have a beer that makes me take a step back and really ponder it and its complexity, but the Stone Collaboration Xocoveza Mocha Stout is fantastic.  It's like mocha stout meets Mexican hot chocolate.  It's almost not beer.  If you draw it across your tongue, it explodes and releases a ton of flavor and develops a foamy head.  So delicious.

That sounds amazing! Where did you have it?
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #718 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:02:29 »
I'm getting antsy waiting for Bruery Terreux to open up. Can't get enough sours! :)

Super jelly, sounds like a really cool place!

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #719 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:33:08 »
Show Image

love that Dali inspired label.

Damn, that looks ****ing good.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #720 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:52:34 »

You can find them at Whole Foods right now (the Newport Beach/ Fashion Island location has them at least)
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #721 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:14:17 »

You can find them at Whole Foods right now (the Newport Beach/ Fashion Island location has them at least)

I got mine at Trader Joe's and another bottle at Hi-Times, a local awesome one stop alcohol shop.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #722 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:16:38 »

I got mine at Trader Joe's and another bottle at Hi-Times, a local awesome one stop alcohol shop.
I may or may not have an obscene number of Yelp check-ins at Hi-Times  :rolleyes:
Good to know TJ's carries this kind of stuff too  :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline iri

« Reply #723 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:51:58 »
i'm about to try a beer which is between light and dark, and though it was brewed in Vladikavkaz, it's called "Bavaria". how original.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
« Reply #724 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:08:18 »

Thanks for the heads up bros. Surprised about TJ's as well, I think I have a gift card laying around here somewhere.
Looks like I've got some hunting to do!
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline tribade

« Reply #725 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 14:34:51 »
Had a bottle of Le Fin du Monde a couple days ago, and boy is it a solid beer.  Recently the restaurant I've been working at has had beer by Henhouse (a local microbrew) on tap and boy am I ever loving their oyster stout.  Word on the street is that they might start bottling again in another year or so.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline iri

« Reply #726 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 02:17:56 »
had this dark beer from Kirov. all hail soviet design!

also, this local coffee stout is as nice as a coffee stout can be:

-Ray Bradbury

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #727 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 07:58:37 »
Anyone here have Untappd?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #728 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 21:56:19 »
Oooooh my gosh you guys this bar has a Beer Club! I'm so excited. And I got a shirt! A Beer Club shirt! I'm happy.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #729 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:26:46 »
Beer!!!!!

Where are my friends? Hopefully you guys are drinking beer too!  ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #730 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:31:49 »
Tried to have one of these the other day, but it exploded everywhere.

I'm pissed because it was a $7 bottle, but not as pissed as I would be if it had been a $15 bottle.  I'll be trying to get a refund or something tomorrow after work.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #731 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:39:45 »

Show Image

I'm pissed because it was a $7 bottle, but not as pissed as I would be if it had been a $15 bottle.  I'll be trying to get a refund or something tomorrow after work.

Wizard beer, that's cool! Bummer about the explosion though...  :(

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #732 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:44:30 »
Beer!!!!!

Last Friday!

Pumking! Awesome Pumpkin Ale! Just in time for Halloween :)

Thanks to my friend, got to drink some Ron Zacapa 23 that night as well. Very smooth stuff.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #733 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:45:40 »

Beer!!!!!

Last Friday!

Pumking! Awesome Pumpkin Ale! Just in time for Halloween :)

Show Image

Thanks to my friend, got to drink some Ron Zacapa 23 that night as well. Very smooth stuff.

Show Image

Ooooooh I forgot that pumpkin beer is a thing! There's a brewery around here with amazing pumpkin beer, I will need to grab some soon.   :D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #734 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:47:15 »
Ooooooh I forgot that pumpkin beer is a thing! There's a brewery around here with amazing pumpkin beer, I will need to grab some soon.   :D

DO EET! If it's anywhere near as good as Pumking, it'll be awesome. The pumpkin flavor is superb, even though the aftertaste can be somewhat quite bitter.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #735 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:49:27 »
Ugh, fall. The hellhole of beer. PUMPKIN IN EVERYTHING!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #736 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:50:12 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #737 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:51:21 »

You had so much promise, slippy.  :|

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #738 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:52:59 »

Show Image

Just poked around some reviews on that one and it seems to stand above the rest. I went to the grocery the other day and the premium selection was 90% pumpkin beers. Sadly, this was not among them. I looked up reviews on a few and they were all apparently relatively horrible in consensus.

I might be biased, however. I typically drink mostly stouts. This one gets my attention because of the high ABV, though.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #739 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:55:27 »

Nearly 15 years I've used this nickname online and you're the first to conjure that up. Now I'm thinking about Star Fox.

Honestly, it's just tiring. I like seasonal stuff, but pumpkin just seems so cheap somehow. I'm a giant hypocrite though. You get some coffee mixed up with beer and I go NUTS for it.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #740 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:57:03 »

LOLOL!

Show Image

Just poked around some reviews on that one and it seems to stand above the rest. I went to the grocery the other day and the premium selection was 90% pumpkin beers. Sadly, this was not among them. I looked up reviews on a few and they were all apparently relatively horrible in consensus.

I might be biased, however. I typically drink mostly stouts. This one gets my attention because of the high ABV, though.

I got mine at ABC! You should most definitely give them a visit.

I know what you mean though. Pumpkin pie everywhere... hard to come by one that actually is done well and tastes good, imo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:58:40 by VesperSAINT »

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #741 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 22:59:24 »

One of my favorite beers! I like sitting on them for a couple months. :thumb:
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #742 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 23:12:13 »
Is it weird that I don't like pumpkin beer?

Show Image

Wizard beer, that's cool! Bummer about the explosion though...  :(

The ounce I had was good.

This is tonight's beer.  Interesting taste and awesome cap.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #743 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 23:16:24 »
Nearly 15 years I've used this nickname online and you're the first to conjure that up. Now I'm thinking about Star Fox.

Hehehehe

awesome cap

Show Image

New cap (hehehe) design??  ;)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 23:17:53 »
I just noticed that the fish is having a smoke. Weird.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #745 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 23:18:41 »

Show Image

Green tea, american hops and juniper!?  :-X

Offline tribade

« Reply #746 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:20:22 »
Tonight I had a Pliny with my salmon curry:

And now I'm finishing with some Hop Crisis from 21st amendment:

All in all, a wonderful beer night.  I wonder if anyone can guess where I live  :rolleyes:
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #747 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:20:55 »
That salmon curry looks absolutely delish!!! Quite a fine meal you have there. Kinda jelly ~~~ :P

I happened to take a shot of my meal from last night too! No way near as high quality tho~

Half a large Dominos premium chicken and salami pizza with a Newcastle.

Offline iri

« Reply #748 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:00:54 »

Show Image

i hope at least the pizza was tasty.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tribade

« Reply #749 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:11:25 »
That salmon curry looks absolutely delish!!! Quite a fine meal you have there. Kinda jelly ~~~ :P

I happened to take a shot of my meal from last night too! No way near as high quality tho~

Show Image

It was great!  Thanks for the compliment.  I would have loved a pizza though.  Sometimes nothing beats some fresh hot pizza.  Definitely one of my favorite foods!  I hope you enjoyed it!