Author Topic: The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]  (Read 19933 times)

Offline JmactheAttack

• http://angelsofthewarp.com
The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]
« on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:38:15 »
Massdrop is offering for a second time, the ErgoDox Ergonomic Keyboard. Here is a link to the current group buy: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-2.

I missed the last round, but I definitely think I will be in for round 2. Let's get this down to $199!

Edit: Added Sordna's image.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:40:44 by JmactheAttack »

Offline calavera

Re: The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 18:41:04 »
Just got the email!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 19:50:50 »
I'm in at $199. Fate can decide. :-)

Offline JmactheAttack

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:09:31 »
Yeah hopefully it will hit the mark, I wouldn't be surprised considering the popularity of the first drop. Who knows, maybe we'll get another assembly GB going too  ;) Either way it would still make a great DIY project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:18:59 by JmactheAttack »

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:10:43 »
If I remember correctly there were 180+ requests for another round

Offline JmactheAttack

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:22:16 »
If I remember correctly there were 180+ requests for another round

Apparently 207!

Offline calavera

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 23:03:15 »
Damn I was wrong, 299 people requested it lol

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 01:03:36 »
But there may be few issues.

This keyboard is not much tested, by the general public, only the enthusiasts/geeks have tested. So we dont know what is the outcome from the buys, say adjust the heights, keep key spacings etc, arrow keys, how easy it is to switch to layer2 and use the other keys, etc.

Keycaps; I am dying here. So many people bought the keyboard and so many will be. Wish there are some colored and lettered keycaps, at least for layer1 & layer1+layer2 like in lot of laptop keyboards. Hey, I know many users are programmers and they dont even look at the keys. But there maybe many like me who dont/wont/cant touch type, have not learned/hate to do etc. Lets face the facts, there are few geeks and even fewer uber-geeks, rest are normal (???) geeks :)

WASD keyboards can do custom printing, but not sure about the layers/colors etc. But not sure if the printing would hold!

I wish the round 2 would be delayed a little till the issues (whatever may come) are fixed.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 01:23:04 »
Um, I'm not even entirely sure where to start with the mess you just posted...

We'll start first with:  You know that this was in development for over a year, right?  This isn't something that was slapbanged together as quick as possible, let the end user be a beta tester so I have extreme doubts to there being any layout or construction changes ever.  Especially to coddle someone that can't be bothered to research the development of the product and then dismiss the efforts of everyone that's been involved in the development so far.

Two:  It's completely, 100% programmable.  Since you're just a "normal" geek (whatever the **** that means), I'll explain why that matters.  YOU CAN MAKE WHATEVER KEY DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.  So there's not going to be anything better than the blank set that's on offer with it that's made specifically for it because there's nothing set in stone in terms of what the keys do.

And since we're facing facts here, this isn't meant for someone that has an off-the-shelf mechanical keyboard that thinks that makes him a geek even though he can't be bothered to type properly.  This is meant for the true geek that, much like a gearhead/petrolhead, wants to tinker down to the smallest bits possible. Plainly stated this is marketed and sold to the enthusiast/geek you so cavalierly dismiss as not being able to truly test a product and not to you.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 03:28:27 »
I know many users are programmers and they dont even look at the keys.

I'm sorry, but ergonomic split layout is designed specifically for touch typing.
Have you ever tried to "hunt-and-pick" type on ergonomic keyboard? I can say that my SO found it a chore to type on my old MS Natural 4000.

ps: I've committed to buy if the price gets down to 199$.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 04:12:09 by ksm123 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:25:23 »
If I get MX clear, is the order going to take longer?

My mom really wants one of these... sadly it doesn't fit my hand..  :'(

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:29:04 »
If I get MX clear, is the order going to take longer?

My mom really wants one of these... sadly it doesn't fit my hand..  :'(
I chose MX Clear on the first one and got my kit yesterday. Then again I might have ordered when it was in the single digits, or early double digits and they mentioned giving switch priority to those who ordered first.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:44:32 »
@tjcaustin
Some of the programmable fearures are not currently working. It stated that media keys arent working on Windows.  I hope they refine the coding soon, as I dont  know how to code. Oh and yeah this kb is impressive.

Which key do you guys use for switching layers? Toggle layers, pop layers and I think the other one is push.. I tried toggle and it didn't work for me...
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:39:36 »
last question... are those keys on the VERY right and VERY left,, the size of CTRL keys or the size of Tab key, or the size of Capslock key...

Please give it to me in ctrl // tab // capslock

as the 1.25x 1.5x 1.75x throws me off.

also, does this use cherry stabilizer or costar. and do the stabilizers come with the kit.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:57:09 »

The width of the outermost columns is 1.5 which is the size of a typical Tab key.
However, the Ctrl keys on vintage keyboards without Windows keys are typically also this size. ;)

While the plates and the cases were designed for 1.5 wide outer keys, the PCB does also support the option of using 1 unit wide keys for the outermost columns. The PCB supports PCB-mounted switches so a plate is optional.
The PCB does not have support for PCB-mounted stabilisers for the large thumbkeys, but you won't really need them. The Kinesis has never had any stabilisers for the large thumbkeys and I have not heard or seen anyone complain about that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:45:50 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:59:40 »

The width of the outermost columns is 1.5 which is the size of a typical Tab key.
However, the Ctrl keys on vintage keyboards without Windows keys are typically also this size. ;)

As I have understood, you could build this keyboard without a plate. Then you would also have the option of using 1 unit wide keys for the outermost columns. You could of course also modify the plate to use such keys...
The PCB supports Cherry PCB-mounted stabilisers for the large thumbkeys, but you won't really need them. The Kinesis does not have stabilisers for the large thumbkeys and I have not heard or seen anyone complain about that.

Cool, thanks for the info...

Where do I buy pcb mount cherry stabilizers

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:07:20 »
I chose MX Clear on the first one and got my kit yesterday. Then again I might have ordered when it was in the single digits, or early double digits and they mentioned giving switch priority to those who ordered first.

When was the GB held for the one that you ordered?

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: The Ergodox is Back @ MassDrop [Round 2]
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:15:46 »

As I have understood, you could build this keyboard without a plate. Then you would also have the option of using 1 unit wide keys for the outermost columns. You could of course also modify the plate to use such keys...
The PCB supports Cherry PCB-mounted stabilisers for the large thumbkeys, but you won't really need them. The Kinesis does not have stabilisers for the large thumbkeys and I have not heard or seen anyone complain about that.

Sorry, you already said "last question". No more answers for you.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:24:28 »
I was wondering why plate mounted cherry stabilizers didnt fit at all...

Who knows how each layer switcher works?
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:30:41 »

Sorry, you already said "last question". No more answers for you.

:D well, I did already commit to buy... Just wondering' that's all...

but if you must..

I demand you tell me the location (web or otherwise) that sells pcb mounted cherry stabilizers

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:33:07 »
:D well, I did already commit to buy... Just wondering' that's all...

but if you must..

I demand you tell me the location (web or otherwise) that sells pcb mounted cherry stabilizers

I bought mine from The_Ed (link)

Offline sordna

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:49:56 »
WASD Keyboards sells stabilizers for cheap, make sure you get the bars too:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:06:41 »
last question... are those keys on the VERY right and VERY left,, the size of CTRL keys or the size of Tab key, or the size of Capslock key...

also, does this use cherry stabilizer or costar. and do the stabilizers come with the kit.
The plate MD offers doesnt support it, but if you go PCB mount, you can move them over, for use with 1x (normal sized, QWER, etc) keys)

I'm interested in stabilizers as well. I just built mine up and before I soldered the switches down, I test fit with the keycaps. My hands must be differently shaped, 'cause it's easier to hit some keys in the thumb area: very interesting!

Anyway, I need to decide between cherry whites or light whites (white lights) or clears/ergoclears for the switches.

WASD Keyboards sells stabilizers for cheap, make sure you get the bars too:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html
WASDkeyboards sells plate-mount costar stabilizers, I'm not sure the plate supports these.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:13:50 »
The hands say yes, the wallet says no.

:(
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:33:47 »

just sell your other stuff.?

My "other stuff" consists of a Leopold. Not gonna get me up to $300. :(
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:37:22 »

just sell your other stuff.?

My "other stuff" consists of a Leopold. Not gonna get me up to $300. :(

"other stuff" also includes... computer games, old monitors, used digi cam, sexual services, kidneys...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:39:40 »
Dibs on sexual services with kidneys on digi cam.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:48:15 »
I bought mine from The_Ed (link)

I'm gonna have to count my stock as it is getting lower now with all the orders. I may have to order more POS boards soon as well because of all the MX Brown orders.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline sordna

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:24:54 »
@tjcaustin
Some of the programmable fearures are not currently working. It stated that media keys arent working on Windows.  I hope they refine the coding soon, as I dont  know how to code. Oh and yeah this kb is impressive.

Which key do you guys use for switching layers? Toggle layers, pop layers and I think the other one is push.. I tried toggle and it didn't work for me...

Toggle is not worded probably, what it does is momentary bring you to the said layer as long as the key is held down.
I have a ~L1 toggle key, so I hold it down and hit for example 5 to produce the F5, and have other keys to push the L1 layer so my keyboard stays there (until I push a -L1 key to pop it off). It all works man! My current layout is here:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=BY6MGD&hash=e45371cc643778f59be3a757a75d99ef

BTW just did 98 WPM on my ergodox on type racer. It's a very, very nice keyboard, what can I say.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:17:03 »
So... ok.. we need   [2x length] pcb mounted cherry stabilizers correct? does this have a wire that goes through it?

Offline sordna

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:26:06 »
You need to buy the bases, wire, and keycap white thingies. They are all sold separately. But really you don't need stabilizers.
Get the keyboard first, and then decide those details, you can add them any time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:28:31 »
You need to buy the bases, wire, and keycap white thingies. They are all sold separately. But really you don't need stabilizers.
Get the keyboard first, and then decide those details, you can add them any time.

Hey sordna,

are you talking about costar stabilizers?

the hole in the ergodox plate does look like it would fit costar... but I'm being told it's cherry..

It actually doesn't look like it'll fit cherry stabs to me, the sliver is a bit thin?

Offline sordna

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:49:53 »
[ THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK ]

Why aren't we allowed to delete posts like we used to ???

Offline sordna

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:50:12 »
I'm talking costar stabilizers, I don't have any plate-mount cherry ones. WASD's costars fit, however they need some filing because the plate is too thick, and they cannot "grab" on the underside. So those wedges that normally grab the plate underside should be filed, otherwise the stabilizers pop off, I tried it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:51:50 by sordna »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:06:55 »
So ok... the picture below,, the green circled parts needs to be shaved down to the "red" circled parts correct?

Offline JmactheAttack

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:13:05 »
Alright, I just put my money where my mouth is and joined up. My wallet is really hoping for the $199 mark.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:15:09 »
Alright, I just put my money where my mouth is and joined up. My wallet is really hoping for the $199 mark.

you're not getting caps?

Offline sordna

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:40:38 »
So ok... the picture below,, the green circled parts needs to be shaved down to the "red" circled parts correct?

EXACTLY.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:50:20 »

EXACTLY.

Aight man cool.. when you tried it.. how was the fit// smoothness// stability

Offline sordna

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 19:01:29 »
I didn't bother to file the stabs so I just took them out because stabilizers are really not needed. I've used Kinesis Advantage keyboards for years and this was never an issue, because the thumb hits those keys pretty squarely. But if you want to use stabilizers, file them and they'll work just fine, don't worry.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 19:09:39 »
I didn't bother to file the stabs so I just took them out because stabilizers are really not needed. I've used Kinesis Advantage keyboards for years and this was never an issue, because the thumb hits those keys pretty squarely. But if you want to use stabilizers, file them and they'll work just fine, don't worry.

Aw man.. i'm excited.. Costar Stabs ftw....

actually i should say my mother'd be excited, since this doesn't really even fit my hand.. LOL

fits hers though..

Offline JmactheAttack

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:08:27 »

you're not getting caps?

Yeah I'm getting the caps too. If only I would of planned this purchase a little more and selected some of my recent keycap group buy purchases more carefully.

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:45:13 »

We'll start first with:  You know that this was in development for over a year, right?  This isn't something that was slapbanged together as quick as possible, let the end user be a beta tester so I have extreme doubts to there being any layout or construction changes ever.  Especially to coddle someone that can't be bothered to research the development of the product and then dismiss the efforts of everyone that's been involved in the development so far.

Two:  It's completely, 100% programmable.  Since you're just a "normal" geek (whatever the **** that means), I'll explain why that matters.  YOU CAN MAKE WHATEVER KEY DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.  So there's not going to be anything better than the blank set that's on offer with it that's made specifically for it because there's nothing set in stone in terms of what the keys do.

And since we're facing facts here, this isn't meant for someone that has an off-the-shelf mechanical keyboard that thinks that makes him a geek even though he can't be bothered to type properly.  This is meant for the true geek that, much like a gearhead/petrolhead, wants to tinker down to the smallest bits possible. Plainly stated this is marketed and sold to the enthusiast/geek you so cavalierly dismiss as not being able to truly test a product and not to you.

Wow! I think I hit a nerve there. I did not mean that way and apologize if this presented a cavalier tone. I really appreciate the huge amount of collaborative effort needed to produced ergodox. I merely meant 'general public' by what it is, can be anybody. Anyway, too difficult to present what I meant, so we let it stay where it is.

Regarding the keycaps thing, I meant to hint at a few preset layout that are very generic/popular, like a preset arrow cluster or the ins|del/home|end/pgUp|pgDn cluster, Or even something similar to the kinesis, but that escaped from my post. May be there will be some future group buys on those. I actually bought a second board to gift to a friend who is into tech/programming, but does not possess any amount of geekiness.

Anyway, had I been around last year I would have known these, but I landed in Geekhack last few months and not yet dived deep into most of geekhack.

I guess an explanation was due; so here it is.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:49:17 by blueSmoke »
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:46:55 »
Does anyone know if the keycaps that you can purchase for an extra $37 include longer keys for the sides (as intended by the ErgoDox design) or 1x1 keys as shown in the picture in the OP?

Offline sordna

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 20:53:31 »
Keycaps come properly long. The OP has a prototype picture with random keycaps slammed on.
This blog post (good one too) has photos of a finished keyboard with the keycaps that are sold by massdrop:
http://hairysun.com/blog/2013/04/02/oh-ergonomic-keyboard/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:02:52 »

Wow! I think I hit a nerve there. I did not mean that way and apologize if this presented a cavalier tone. I really appreciate the huge amount of collaborative effort needed to produced ergodox. I merely meant 'general public' by what it is, can be anybody. Anyway, too difficult to present what I meant, so we let it stay where it is.

Regarding the keycaps thing, I meant to hint at a few preset layout that are very generic/popular, like a preset arrow cluster or the ins|del/home|end/pgUp|pgDn cluster, Or even something similar to the kinesis, but that escaped from my post. May be there will be some future group buys on those. I actually bought a second board to gift to a friend who is into tech/programming, but does not possess any amount of geekiness.

Anyway, had I been around last year I would have known these, but I landed in Geekhack last few months and not yet dived deep into most of geekhack.

I guess an explanation was due; so here it is.

wha.... don't be such a pu....  stick it to um'''' :D  rawrrrr

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:03:28 »
Keycaps come properly long. The OP has a prototype picture with random keycaps slammed on.
This blog post (good one too) has photos of a finished keyboard with the keycaps that are sold by massdrop:
http://hairysun.com/blog/2013/04/02/oh-ergonomic-keyboard/

Show Image

Thanks Sordna, your keyboard looks great.

Offline sordna

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:06:16 »
That's not mne, mine is full hand

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 00:08:25 »
"MSRP $570" lolz, I think not