Author Topic: Extra heavy G500  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
Extra heavy G500
« on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:11:07 »
I thought you guys might find this interesting.

I may be outside the norm here but I really prefer a heavy mouse.

I have a friend who works in a machine shop and got him to hook me up with this hunk of steel.

It took me a little while to get used to it, but I've been using it for 6 months or more and don't even notice it. I like the extra weight and the sensitivity up high. Mostly gaming stuff.
And I suck at this camera but it is better than phone pics.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:21:44 by Psybin »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Extra heavy G500
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:13:29 »
Very cool. I have the same mouse but I prefer to not even have the plastic thing in there at all. Heavy mice feel nice, but when you're whipping it around playing games, dat momentum gets you killed
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:22:17 »
Very cool. I have the same mouse but I prefer to not even have the plastic thing in there at all. Heavy mice feel nice, but when you're whipping it around playing games, dat momentum gets you killed
Yeah, I don't really enjoy using heavy mice for gaming, but for general computer usage heavier mice feel better.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:25:15 »
I also prefer my mouse light as possible but I wonder how much stronger your wrist and fingers would be after a month or two of using this with a low sensitivity FPS where you have to pick it up and put it down all the time.  In moments of anger you could also use it as a ball and chain style weapon. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 14:27:20 »
Dude! That's awesome! Beast... I can haz steel scrap from the shop? I can find a place to mill it... perhaps school since we're getting a CNC.

Offline Rare

• Spending racks and bands on keyboards.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:47:00 »
That looks so great. After getting used to it that way, do you notice a major difference in performance since it's heavier?
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:51:34 »
No difference in performance, its more just a feel thing. Although it does feel really weird to take it out and use it.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:09:35 »
I'm going to make one of these with my shop teacher. He said that it's possible to cut in so that some lead sticks into the steel, hence making the mouse UBER heavy.
Psybin, could you post the dimensions of that thing?

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:36:36 »
Do you have a G500? I just brought in the black weight carriage to the shop and he made it the same size. If you don't have one handy I'll get some measurements for ya.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:42:01 »
Dude! That's awesome! Beast... I can haz steel scrap from the shop? I can find a place to mill it... perhaps school since we're getting a CNC.

No, I don't have access to scrap

Btw, it would take more time to program something on the CNC mill than it would to just manually mill it. I'm guessing, with setup, a manual mill would take around 15 minutes to make one of these

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Extra heavy G500
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:49:00 »

Btw, it would take more time to program something on the CNC mill than it would to just manually mill it. I'm guessing, with setup, a manual mill would take around 15 minutes to make one of these
Yeah, I figured that out also. I've never milled stuff, hence my ignorance.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:49:45 »

No worries, ask a tech. edu teacher to help, I heard they're pretty cool guys :P

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Extra heavy G500
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:27:24 »

No worries, ask a tech. edu teacher to help, I heard they're pretty cool guys :P
That's what I heard. How goes SkillsUSA?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:30:30 »

That's what I heard. How goes SkillsUSA?

Pretty fun, but I could only stay yesterday (wished I could have stayed for the competitions today). I did some setup work, looked at some of the furniture students made but mostly judged CO2 dragsters.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 08:19:08 »
this article makes me wanna laugh.

Why don't they make mice out of lead and bill them as some kind of ultra premium gaming device? For $1 in lead materials you could probably sell a mouse for $500.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 11:44:03 »
Haha sounds interesting. To be honest, I have never understood the appeal of these large heavy mice. I go the opposite direction by using mice that are light (want them to be under 100 grams) with their weight evenly distributed. Honestly that is the most comfortable for me, and I really feel that these light and nimble mice help my performance ingame.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0