Author Topic: Topre uniform "firmness" relative to a recent Macbook Pro  (Read 3347 times)

Offline nick[0]

Topre uniform "firmness" relative to a recent Macbook Pro
« on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 01:51:46 »
Hi,

Like everyone who doesn't own one, and who doesn't know anyone who owns one, I'm wondering how "firm" a 45g and a 55g Topre switch feels.  Most people have probably had the chance to type on a recent (2012-2013) Macbook pro.  Does a 45g Topre feel "firmer"?  How about a 55g?

Please let me know!
Nick

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Re: Topre uniform "firmness" relative to a recent Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 05:23:07 »
Topre 45G feels lighter, smoother and is far more enjoyable to type on than MBP.
Moving to Apple keyboard after using Topre is like typing on a desk with a bit of foam on top of it, kinda disgusting.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 07:36:58 »
I have a HHKB with uniform, and they have those apple scissor switch keyboards at my school. Topre is the smoothest kind of switch around, and compared to a scissor switch it feels like putting your fingers in a pile of mud. Not fun at all. Topre on the other hand is better than the so called "cloud of boobs" of MX Reds. ":D
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:14:52 »
I still occasionally type on my MBA, and to be honest don't really mind the Apple scissor switch experience. However, these guys are right; nothing really compares to the feel of a Topre. I'm not exactly sure about forces and such, but it feels to me as if the 55g and the MBP are comparable in terms of actuation force, whereas the 45g is noticeably lighter.

Offline nick[0]

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:06:34 »
Hm, so the 45g feels lighter . . .  The Macbooks I've typed on feel too "light touch" for me, but do you think the keytravel might be the issue?  For comparison, my main keyboards are a 1984 (grey label) IBM Model M spacesaver, and a Thinkpad x131e (spill proof island keyboard).  While I love the feel of the IBM, it's becoming too tiring to type on.  After I'm fatigued from it, the "pop" of the rubber dome in the Thinkpad goes from too slightly too firm, to nothing, and then the keytravel isn't as long, nor the landing isn't as soft as I'd like, since by this point of a work day I'm starting to feel tendinitis in the 2nd and 3rd knuckles of my hands.

It sounds like the landing on a Topre would be medicine for this, no?  Because of the fatigue issue, I've been leaning towards the uniform 45g, but not if it's light-touch like the Macs are.

Thank you for your replies,
Nick

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 04:28:46 »
Makes sense. I use HHKB when I'm tired with Unicomp. And then I go back to Unicomp after i'm tired of rubber ;)
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline nick[0]

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 22:09:42 »
Makes sense. I use HHKB when I'm tired with Unicomp. And then I go back to Unicomp after i'm tired of rubber ;)

Finally, after many years thinking about it, reading forums, etc I finally spent the cash for a Topre.  Went with a uniform 45g.  Strangely enough, after two years with it I think I'd prefer a 35g or 40g more.  Apart from this, no lie, it's ruined all other keyboards for me.  The reason?  Broadly speaking, they either feel like inaccurate trash (everyone knows these disposable keyboards), like toys (all those new less than 2mm of travel laptop keyboards, including the new Thinkpad keyboards), or they feel profoundly dissociative (every Cherry switch I've tried) and/or they feel rough, and/or the acting of typing can only be described as either walking on egg-shells or straight-up violent.  I once read something like "when you depress the key of a buckling spring switch it crushes the bones of little gnomes who are trapped inside of the keys, and then when you release the key the gnomes resurrect"...  Typing on a model M SSK (silver label) feels violent like that now.  CST trackball buttons also feel like they take far too much effort.

So yeah, this is the most unexpected conclusion to a very old thread...

P.S. I have 45g and 55g Topre switch testers for sale

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 23:02:22 »
I really enjoy Topre 55g. 45g isn't bad but the tactility of 55g is nice. BKE is too harsh for me. I think my favorite typing experience right now though is thin lubed Tealios. Have you tried any MX switches in a bit? I notice this post is old. There have been a ton of new switches and mods come out since you originally posted so just curious.