Author Topic: 3x2 Case for Novelty Keys, need help designing PCB/Case  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
3x2 Case for Novelty Keys, need help designing PCB/Case
« on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 22:55:20 »
So I've been thinking, I have a lot of cool novelty caps, such as a Rosegold Ironman, purple translucent brobot, silver brobot, blue f2, green gasmask, and will be getting some more brobots soon!

So anyway, onto the point. I don't really like to have these on my keyboard because I don't like typing on them due to their rareness and cost, and having 3 or 4 on a keyboard can look stupid!

How hard would it be to make a 2x3 little PCB that can hold 6 switches and 6 LEDs to just be a little showcase for my(your) novelty keys? Get maybe a small aluminum case for it?

I think that this would be a really cool thing to have just sitting on your desk!

So could the people that are knowledgable in the PCB making and case making maybe post here with their opinions? I'd definitely love something like this!

P.S. I typed this on my phone in about 5 minutes, so I shortened up my idea a little bit. I think it's pretty simple to understand though :p

Let me know!

Gupgup
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:15:44 by Gupgup »

Offline F u r u y á

Re: Making a little show case, need some help!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:58:06 »
Well, I have interest in building little cases with at least 3x3 switches, but it can be a regular numpad, no problem.

But I'd like it with metal case, heavy and with nice feet to grip the table. Simply put, just sturdy quality. Would something like that interest you? Anyone else?
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:02:59 »
Well, I have interest in building little cases with at least 3x3 switches, but it can be a regular numpad, no problem.

But I'd like it with metal case, heavy and with nice feet to grip the table. Simply put, just sturdy quality. Would something like that interest you? Anyone else?

I guess I really did not think of a numpad, but then again I'd just want this to have only enough functions to be LED compatible and to be able to hold MX Switches.

Could you build something like that? 3x3(not as many as numpad has), with a PCB that requires PCB Mount switches and can have 6 LEDs.

Gupgup

Offline rurushu

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:06:24 »

I guess I really did not think of a numpad, but then again I'd just want this to have only enough functions to be LED compatible and to be able to hold MX Switches.

Could you build something like that? 3x3(not as many as numpad has), with a PCB that requires PCB Mount switches and can have 6 LEDs.

Gupgup
i think 3x3 would be fine.... for future unique caps!  :D

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:10:08 »

Could you build something like that? 3x3(not as many as numpad has), with a PCB that requires PCB Mount switches and can have 9 LEDs.

Gupgup
i think 3x3 would be fine.... for future unique caps!  :D

Yeah I'm thinking either 3x3 or 3x2 is what I'm thinking. I'm kind of leaning towards 3x2 now that I think about it, I want it to be a small sort of paper weight, not really as big as a numpad :D

If someone could maybe create a PCB design that would be cool, and does anyone know what something like this costs to make?

Gupgup

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:17:38 »
I see that your idea is very different from mine. I want to actually use the pad, hence my will for sturdiness :P

Check with the guys who organized custom boards group buys (eg. Phantom), they have a pretty good idea about the whole process and how much it costs. But to make it worthwhile I think you'll going to need to hit a MOQ for the custom PCBs. Also you'll need someone to design the PCB, perhaps you can find some here at GH that can design a simple PCB for you.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:19:33 »
I see that your idea is very different from mine. I want to actually use the pad, hence my will for sturdiness :P

Check with the guys who organized custom boards group buys (eg. Phantom), they have a pretty good idea about the whole process and how much it costs. But to make it worthwhile I think you'll going to need to hit a MOQ for the custom PCBs. Also you'll need someone to design the PCB, perhaps you can find some here at GH that can design a simple PCB for you.

Yeah I have PMd kmiller, jdcarpe, and boost to see if they could help me out. If enough are interested (doubtful :/ ) I'd be glad to hold a GB for these.

Gupgup

Offline F u r u y á

Re: 3x2 Case for Novelty Keys, need help designing PCB/Case
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:22:23 »
Thinking about it, since you just want a little thing to support your keycaps (if I understood it correctly, you don't need it to actually work, in which case it would require PCB, case and a controller!), why don't you just take a sheet of wood, drill the holes and install the switches, keycaps and LEDs on it? Then later you can put some fancy metal cases on it too :P

Something along those lines (but smaller): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38963.msg756792#msg756792
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:31:41 by F u r u y á »

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:02:05 »
Thinking about it, since you just want a little thing to support your keycaps (if I understood it correctly, you don't need it to actually work, in which case it would require PCB, case and a controller!), why don't you just take a sheet of wood, drill the holes and install the switches, keycaps and LEDs on it? Then later you can put some fancy metal cases on it too :P

Something along those lines (but smaller): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38963.msg756792#msg756792

Ehh I'd rather have a working PCB and have it be able to plug into my PC.

Boost said he'd work on getting a PCB made for it!

Thanks to him :D

Gupgup

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:14:34 »
I was thinking to do something sort of similar, but have 2x5 with the bottom key a 2x with stabilizer. This would be big enough to put one of each major type of MX and would be useful as a macro pad or something similar too while having some form factor that is more complimentary to putting next to a keyboard.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:31:32 »

Offline regack

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:40:54 »
I was thinking to do something sort of similar, but have 2x5 with the bottom key a 2x with stabilizer. This would be big enough to put one of each major type of MX and would be useful as a macro pad or something similar too while having some form factor that is more complimentary to putting next to a keyboard.

Funny you should mention 2x5.  I worked on a design for something similar (minus the 2x w/stabilizer key).  I wanted it for F1 - F10 keys as an add-on board to a 40% or 60% that I'm working on right now.  I haven't had the 2x5 add-on made because I'm not done with the 60% board.  One thing I wanted to change on this is rotating the switches so the LEDs are at the 'top', but I haven't touched this in more than a month.  There is a 4x5 as well.  Again, I haven't actually had prototypes of either of these made yet.   The idea was 2x5 on the left, 4x5 on the right, which is why the 50mil spaced pads are located on the sides of the board closer to where the main keyboard would be.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:48:20 »
LED is good too I could do some wacky shizz like the Ducky 78 in miniature form. I wouldn't care which side they are on. I only like the underglow effect and find it too bright and distracting with windowed or backlight legend caps.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 23:33:57 »
Is anyone able to design this for me?

Gupgup

Offline regack

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 09:41:11 »

Gupgup

Something like Matt3o's case here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42302.0 would be nice in a little 3x2. 

I'm not sure how to power the LEDs though.  I'll have to think on that.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 11:38:47 »
Here. Made this in a few minutes. Don't know whether it's of any use. Also, I haven't added screwholes to hold the top to the bottom

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iwegurb5393adie/fCXA53ZDr1

Do you really need a PCB just for novelty keys? I mean, if it's just for show I doubt you'd be using it - 6 keys can't really do a lot. You could use the thing I've designed without a PCB to showcase caps - just put the keyswitches into the plate. Taking the PCB out the equation makes things a hell of a lot simpler.

If you want a place to show your keycaps and you want to be able to use it as a keyboard you might as well just get a numpad.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 April 2013, 11:46:25 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 11:56:34 »
Metal case, so it will cost like $150, LOL.
Seems overkill, how about cutting 6 square holes in a project box and handwire the matrix to a teensy? Could make it for like $30 total cost including the teensy and switches.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 14:31:45 »

Gupgup

Something like Matt3o's case here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42302.0 would be nice in a little 3x2. 

I'm not sure how to power the LEDs though.  I'll have to think on that.

Thanks!

Here. Made this in a few minutes. Don't know whether it's of any use. Also, I haven't added screwholes to hold the top to the bottom

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iwegurb5393adie/fCXA53ZDr1

Do you really need a PCB just for novelty keys? I mean, if it's just for show I doubt you'd be using it - 6 keys can't really do a lot. You could use the thing I've designed without a PCB to showcase caps - just put the keyswitches into the plate. Taking the PCB out the equation makes things a hell of a lot simpler.

If you want a place to show your keycaps and you want to be able to use it as a keyboard you might as well just get a numpad.

Thank you for that, it looks really good. The way I look at it is this, if I'm spending hundreds of dollars on CC's and brobots and other keys worth that amount of money, they should be somewhere that makes them visible. Because otherwise they are just sitting in my desk or on my desk or on my shelf.. I'd rather have a little showcase for them.

As far as cost, the PCB won't be that much once someone designs the PCB for me. The case obviously will be a lot, but I am thinking of maybe an acrylic one made in house in my town, or a plastic one.

Metal case, so it will cost like $150, LOL.
Seems overkill, how about cutting 6 square holes in a project box and handwire the matrix to a teensy? Could make it for like $30 total cost including the teensy and switches.

Eh, a nice case would make this worth it to me. Sure I could do it for 30 but I want it to look really nice.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help

Gupgup

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 16:13:58 »
Got a PCB made up, thanks to regack!

Anyone know of an acrylic case manufacturer?

Gupgup

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 08:57:29 »
Got a PCB made up, thanks to regack!

Anyone know of an acrylic case manufacturer?

Gupgup

I have used BigBlueSaw for acrylic laser cutting.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:21:49 »
Would you guys have any use for these things?

EDIT: Or these?

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:24:01 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster