Author Topic: Leopold FC660C  (Read 312566 times)

Offline Justintoxicated

Re: Leopold FC660C
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 12:15:50 »
How about using autohotkey to create a macro?

If it has to be installed I do not have access to install applications on my work PC.

Offline sonano

« Reply #501 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 23:37:21 »
I'm currently using autohotkey to workaround the Ctrl+Shift+ESC issue on my home PC. Using the simple macro below:

^~::Run, taskmgr

Will make the Ctrl+Shift+ESC shortcut work perfectly on a FC660C. (Though, I've found that a macro using Ctrl+Shift+Capslock is more convienent to press, you can try that too)

You can compile the autohotkey script into a .exe, which should work without an installation.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 23:46:09 »
Instead of Ctrl-Shift-Esc you can right-click on the task bar and select Start Task Manager ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #503 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:18:53 »
Instead of Ctrl-Shift-Esc you can right-click on the task bar and select Start Task Manager ;D

I'll have to remember that one, granted scrolling in nested VM's to to the taskbar isn't very fun.

I got an email from EK.

Hi Justin,

Leopold is aware of this issue, as it is the same on all FC660s, but they do not see it as a bug.

And no, we don't think it is a great design, so I'm sorry if you feel like we've somehow misled you into buying this board, but I think it is disingenuous of you to say you cannot perform your job efficiently by not being able to open the task manager using this key combination. Please excuse my digression, but while I understand your frustration, sending this kind of drivel to our support mailbox is irritating.

If you're not satisfied with the board then I'm glad to offer you a refund and issue an return authorization.

Best regards,
Brian

probably just going to deal with the issues though.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:45:42 »

I'll have to remember that one, granted scrolling in nested VM's to to the taskbar isn't very fun.

I got an email from EK.

Hi Justin,

Leopold is aware of this issue, as it is the same on all FC660s, but they do not see it as a bug.

And no, we don't think it is a great design, so I'm sorry if you feel like we've somehow misled you into buying this board, but I think it is disingenuous of you to say you cannot perform your job efficiently by not being able to open the task manager using this key combination. Please excuse my digression, but while I understand your frustration, sending this kind of drivel to our support mailbox is irritating.

If you're not satisfied with the board then I'm glad to offer you a refund and issue an return authorization.

Best regards,
Brian

Well.... that settles that. That was a very honest response from Brian.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #505 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:52:04 »

I got an email from EK.

Hi Justin,

Best regards,
Brian

Well.... that settles that. That was a very honest response from Brian.

Honest and straight up douchey, if you ask me. If he's going to offer a refund anyways why bother shaming the customer with that bull**** line about his concern being drivel? Totally unnecessary and terribly unprofessional. If the customer's product doesn't perform as expected (there's no reason to expect a standard key combination doesn't work) and he's dissatisfied it's not drivel, it's his opinion. I've bought 2 boards and multiple keycaps from EK but probably won't give them my business again after reading his arrogant response to a genuine inquiry. What an *******.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:55:14 by Dyslexic »
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #506 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:00:26 »
Well I probably did make the issue out to be more serious than it is.  I think maybe he was just having a bad day or something I dunno.  At least he answered the question.

How I have been searching for the link on how to silence this board and I'm wondering what is the best way to do it?  Dental bands? soft landing pads? krytox? 

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #507 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:24:47 »
Well I probably did make the issue out to be more serious than it is.  I think maybe he was just having a bad day or something I dunno.  At least he answered the question.

How I have been searching for the link on how to silence this board and I'm wondering what is the best way to do it?  Dental bands? soft landing pads? krytox?

Fair enough, but if he's happy to offer a return then he can leave it at "Sorry you're unhappy, provide us the required info and we'll process the return". Customer service isn't hard, I haven't had to do it in years. If this is how he handles e-mails on his support inbox he should consider hiring someone with a nicer disposition for the job, or even just walking away from his keyboard for 5 minutes before hitting send. If I had berated every customer I dealt with whose excuse for the return was convoluted I would have had a lot more angry customers or a lot less of them returning to spend money.

To get back on topic, I did the dental band mod with krytox lube from techkeys on two different FC660Cs and it works fantastically. Very happy with the results and feel.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:33:16 by Dyslexic »

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #508 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:51:15 »

Fair enough, but if he's happy to offer a return then he can leave it at "Sorry you're unhappy, provide us the required info and we'll process the return". Customer service isn't hard, I haven't had to do it in years. If this is how he handles e-mails on his support inbox he should consider hiring someone with a nicer disposition for the job, or even just walking away from his keyboard for 5 minutes before hitting send. If I had berated every customer I dealt with whose excuse for the return was convoluted I would have had a lot more angry customers or a lot less of them returning to spend money.

To get back on topic, I did the dental band mod with krytox lube from techkeys on two different FC660Cs and it works fantastically. Very happy with the results and feel.

Is there a thread that shows where to apply the bands and the krytox?  I must be searching for the wrong thing.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #509 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:54:02 »

Is there a thread that shows where to apply the bands and the krytox?  I must be searching for the wrong thing.

Slide the dental bands to the bottom of the sliders and put the krytox on the top all the way down to the dental band.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #510 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:06:38 »

Slide the dental bands to the bottom of the sliders and put the krytox on the top all the way down to the dental band.

Thanks, I have not taken apart a topre switch before, are the sliders easy to remove? is this the lube you are all recommending?
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox-General-Purpose-Grease/dp/B004568IC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403560909&sr=8-1&keywords=krytox

Or should I get one of these options?
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=61

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:10:29 »

Thanks, I have not taken apart a topre switch before, are the sliders easy to remove? is this the lube you are all recommending?
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox-General-Purpose-Grease/dp/B004568IC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403560909&sr=8-1&keywords=krytox

http://imgur.com/a/gxpEi

This might help too for specific instructions on taking the fc660c apart: http://imgur.com/a/duUmk

Dyslexic was kind enough to provide those links for me a while back.

@Dyslexic: I keep forgetting to meet up with you to pick up those dental bands! I can drop by your area after I get off work. PM me when you're free! :)
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #512 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:14:22 »

For removing, just push from the top with a small screwdriver. And yeah, I used GPL 205 on mine, so that would be fine.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #513 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:50:02 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #514 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:50:47 »
What about this stuff?  It is considerably cheaper?  http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Extreme-Fluoro-Syringe/dp/B002L5UL92/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403560909&sr=8-5&keywords=krytox

I don't have any experience with it, so I can't speak for the quality.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #515 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:51:36 »

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #516 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:19:37 »
I read that the Finish Line Extreme Fluoro is probably about the same as Krytox 203, but I don't really know what that  means in terms of it's lubrication properties.  I'm think to just get this since it 1/2 the cost. 

I do have some Nano Lube at home as well that I got for lubing twisty flashlights, it seems to work really well as it embeds itself in the surface of whatever your using it on. (Door hing squeeks have not come back for years now), etc.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #517 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 00:17:09 »
Honest and straight up douchey, if you ask me. If he's going to offer a refund anyways why bother shaming the customer with that bull**** line about his concern being drivel? Totally unnecessary and terribly unprofessional. If the customer's product doesn't perform as expected (there's no reason to expect a standard key combination doesn't work) and he's dissatisfied it's not drivel, it's his opinion. I've bought 2 boards and multiple keycaps from EK but probably won't give them my business again after reading his arrogant response to a genuine inquiry. What an *******.

Just to play the devil's advocate here, but it's a non-standard keyboard layout. There's every reason to expect some standard key combinations won't work.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #518 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 00:40:47 »
There's every reason to expect some standard key combinations won't work.

Can't say I agree with that. But the bigger point is, EK's response was a rotten way to talk to anyone, much less a customer. I have made many purchases from EK but this makes me want to cut them off forever.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #519 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 00:41:59 »
There's every reason to expect some standard key combinations won't work.

Can't say I agree with that. But the bigger point is, EK's response was a rotten way to talk to anyone, much less a customer. I have made many purchases from EK but this makes me want to cut them off forever.

Yeah, the response doesn't really make any sense when in the next line he says he will accept returns..

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #520 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 07:07:40 »

This might help too for specific instructions on taking the fc660c apart: http://imgur.com/a/duUmk

@Dyslexic: I keep forgetting to meet up with you to pick up those dental bands! I can drop by your area after I get off work. PM me when you're free! :)

Hey :) I should still have enough bands and krytox for a third FC660C mod, just let me confirm tonight. I ended up picking up a second FC660C and modding it. I'll drop you a line after work this evening to confirm.

Also, I used these bands, not the 3/16" ones in the link you provided as I'm pretty sure they do less to reduce key travel and are a bit thinner. See the picture below for where to lube. This is a modified pic from Dustinhxc's mod log on his HHKB but the principle is the same. You do not lube the whole slider, just where the slider contacts the plate/housing (while the slider is removed) to reduce the upstroke plastic on plastic clack. You only need to put a very small amount of krytox in those crevices.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 07:17:35 by Dyslexic »

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #521 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 09:49:15 »

Hey :) I should still have enough bands and krytox for a third FC660C mod, just let me confirm tonight. I ended up picking up a second FC660C and modding it. I'll drop you a line after work this evening to confirm.

Also, I used these bands, not the 3/16" ones in the link you provided as I'm pretty sure they do less to reduce key travel and are a bit thinner. See the picture below for where to lube. This is a modified pic from Dustinhxc's mod log on his HHKB but the principle is the same. You do not lube the whole slider, just where the slider contacts the plate/housing (while the slider is removed) to reduce the upstroke plastic on plastic clack. You only need to put a very small amount of krytox in those crevices.

Excellent! Let me know if you have extras.

It looks like only a very small amount of lube needed from that picture. So you apply it on the interior flat surface of the two corners where the arrows are?

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #522 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 10:05:24 »
Yup, on the inside corners of the housing for the sliders. To be clear, the part attached to the plate, not the slider itself. The FC660C is plate mounted and you can also pop out the modifier stabilizers and lube the contact points to reduce the plastic chatter of the modifiers as well. I was nervous at first but honestly it all pops out and pops back together quite easily.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:45:24 »

Thanks I ordered the ones you linked to be safe, but I did see these immediatly after I ordered, Same thing only clear and cheaper right?
clear version?

They are a buck cheaper if they are the same thing.

Then I'm going to grab some Finish Line Extreme Fluoro 100% because it's half as much as krytox 205.  I have read that for many applications it will work about the same, but others have said it is also slightly thinner and may be the same thing as krytox 203 which only sounds like it might actually work better for this application.  Finish Line Extreme Fluoro 100% DuPont Teflon Grease
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:38:08 by Justintoxicated »

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #524 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 13:12:13 »
Can't speak to those as I used the multicolour. I wouldn't worry about it unless a dollar makes a big difference. :) haha

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #525 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:13:54 »
Here are some pics of mine, unfortunately they didn't turn out to well.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #526 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:23:57 »
Show Image

Show Image

Is the lens on the camera being used to take these pictures fish-eye or something? Your board looks wickedly wonky. I have 2 modded FC660Cs and they look nothing like that. Visually, you would never know the mod was even performed. Did you put the dental bands on the very bottom of the stems before reassembly?

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:32:54 »
I better add a brush to the cart too, I saw a pro-tip by ripster to use a red sable brush, but not sure how serious to take that.  I'm certainly not buying a $20 bush to put lube on the sliders and stabs... 

Would this one work alright?
Connoisseur Red Sable/Gold Taklon Mix Brush, #1 Round

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #528 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:46:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

Is the lens on the camera being used to take these pictures fish-eye or something? Your board looks wickedly wonky. I have 2 modded FC660Cs and they look nothing like that. Visually, you would never know the mod was even performed. Did you put the dental bands on the very bottom of the stems before reassembly?

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, my board isn't modded. I do have some dental bands and some lube, but haven't decided if I want to mod it yet, as it is already fairly quiet. Yeah the pics do seem off, kinda weird as the camera doesn't have a fish eye lens, but the keyboard definitely isn't that wonky irl.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #529 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 03:21:21 »
Anyone know if I am supposed to put dental bands on the stabilized key stems?  I'm a little worried about disassembling those.

BTW even without the stab keys oringed this mod just brought this keyboard from excellent to amazing.  I think the keys do feel a little smoother not that they were bad before but the stabs seems to have quieted down a little and the rest of the keys sound amazing now.  Why aren't they doing this from the factory!

The finish line extreme floro grease seems to be working great.  It seems really light weight but not gooey or slugish at all.

Editing for a midway update:  I just have to say WOW again, just "WOW" everyone should be doing this if they are confident enough to take this sucker apart, the difference is phenomenal!
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:20:41 by Justintoxicated »

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #530 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:29:44 »
Anyone know if I am supposed to put dental bands on the stabilized key stems?  I'm a little worried about disassembling those.

BTW even without the stab keys oringed this mod just brought this keyboard from excellent to amazing.  I think the keys do feel a little smoother not that they were bad before but the stabs seems to have quieted down a little and the rest of the keys sound amazing now.  Why aren't they doing this from the factory!

The finish line extreme floro grease seems to be working great.  It seems really light weight but not gooey or slugish at all.

Editing for a midway update:  I just have to say WOW again, just "WOW" everyone should be doing this if they are confident enough to take this sucker apart, the difference is phenomenal!

You think from all the positive testimonials in this thread about silencing the FC660C, they'd release a silent version already!

I did the dental band mod with krytox lube from techkeys on two different FC660Cs and it works fantastically. Very happy with the results and feel.

Dyslexic, did you use a thin or thick formula from techkeys? I believe dustinhxc used a very thick formula for his HHKB. Is that what you would recommend?

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #531 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:53:22 »

You think from all the positive testimonials in this thread about silencing the FC660C, they'd release a silent version already!

I did the dental band mod with krytox lube from techkeys on two different FC660Cs and it works fantastically. Very happy with the results and feel.

Dyslexic, did you use a thin or thick formula from techkeys? I believe dustinhxc used a very thick formula for his HHKB. Is that what you would recommend?

Ill wait for Dyslexic's response as well but serious consider this stuff it seems to be working amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Extreme-Fluoro-Syringe/dp/B002L5UL92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404235751&sr=8-1&keywords=floro+finishline+grease  I hear it is similar to krytox 203/204 just way cheaper. From my experience with greases over the years I wouldn't call it thick or thin, it's just there, very light but stays put because it is grease vs oil, I think "light" would be a better term to describe this one.  Never used another grease quite like it.  But if I had to choose between a thick gooey grease or a lighter one I would use a lighter one on the tracks for the stems and a medium one for the stabs.  The Extreme floro seems to work very well for both though, since it is such a thin amount for the tracks it wasn't too thick, but if you put too much on the stabs or where the stabs slide (not sure I was supposed to use any there but I did anyways) then when you pickup the plate with keys attached they might sometimes not fall back down on their own, but they would not be stuck enough to actually feel any difference and a slight tap on the plate would allow them to fall so to me that is just about perfect for both applications.  I also picked up the small brush to apply I think it was worth spending a few dollars for it to help spread the grease thin.

I also did modify the modifier keys last night, grew a pair and popped them out of the plate then popped the metal bar from the key.  It was the most sketchy part of the whole process as I have broken those little tabs off many things before but it went perfectly smooth for me.

Keyboard is a dream to type on now, even my Girl said it sounded amazing and she not into this hobby at all.  It's a must do mod and thanks to everyone who came up with the process or helped me to see the light of doing it.  This is by far my favorite keyboard to use now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:57:25 by Justintoxicated »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #532 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:55:02 »

I used 205 (thick) on my Realforce. It does slow the return if you overapply, so I'd suggest a thin just to keep from running into that problem.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #533 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:02:21 »
I don't have any slow return once the domes are in, I meant without any spring or dome and just gravity if you pickup the plate,  that was just for the modifiers.  I think the density of the krytox extreme floro is just about perfect for this stuff, granted I haven't tried anything else, just that when I started using it I kind though "oh, well that's why it was worth buying new grease specific for keyboards".

Tempted to take apart my other keyboard and use some of it now.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #534 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:30:39 »

I used thick for my keyboard, I believe on techkeys they had 3 options (thin, thick and very thick). I can't speak to the alternative lubes cause I didn't use them. PS, I have more than 66 elastics remaining so if you want them they're yours.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:53:20 »

I used thick for my keyboard, I believe on techkeys they had 3 options (thin, thick and very thick). I can't speak to the alternative lubes cause I didn't use them. PS, I have more than 66 elastics remaining so if you want them they're yours.

Thanks for all the info guys! Now, I just need to gather all the necessary tools to perform this mod.  :thumb:

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:26:37 »
So, just read through this whole thread...  I came across the Leopold while looking for compact keyboards.  My main travel PC is a Microsoft Surface, and let's be fair, the keyboard on that thing is shameful.  Great in a pinch but typing on it for hours at a time hurts.  I had a marathon writing session of 6+ hours the other day, switching back and forth between the Surface and my TECK and my arms hated me the next day.  My TECK is an MX Blue and I bottom out on those way too easily.  I've got clears for my ErgoDox and I've also tried red (way too soft, blech).  I'm intrigued by Topre.  Sometimes rubber domes feel better to me than my Blues, only because I think they're a bit bouncier?  I also know it's unfair to compare Topre to rubber dome.

Also, as a woman, with boobs, I'm not sure I want to type on a cloud of them.  That's rather....mushy.  Unless maybe we're talking cheap silicone?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #537 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:57:13 »
Well the thing is - there is nothing inherently wrong with rubber domes. At the end of the day a key is something you press that makes something happen. If it feels and sounds good to you then why does it matter if it has some rubber in it? It seems like they get too easily stigmatized. Some might argue that mechanical is better because it last longer or whatever, but I don't think it is so important. However, like you said, Topre is a different ball park then most average $5 boards.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #538 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:59:01 »
My main problem with rubber domes is that they deteriorate way too rapidly. Also in the vast majority of cases they feel very "mushy" and don't offer a crisp enough tactile feedback.

@EvillePanda: Did you try the Surface Type cover? TBH that's probably the best feeling low profile keyboard I've used.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #539 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:26:53 »
That's what I have.  The problem is, with the keyboard attached, there are only so many places you can put the Surface to type and they all get uncomfortable relatively quickly.  That and the keyboard has virtually no bounce, so the impact on the finger joints is very pronounced.  I'm also most done with my ErgoDox and I've got some crowdfunding keyboards to throw my money at, but, the more I read, the more I think the Leopold will be part of a very nice Christmas present to myself (and my fingers).  Provided the other keyboards aren't the most wonderful things ever.  Or not.  I may get it just to see what this Topre business is all about.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #540 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 11:14:01 »
That's what I have.  The problem is, with the keyboard attached, there are only so many places you can put the Surface to type and they all get uncomfortable relatively quickly.  That and the keyboard has virtually no bounce, so the impact on the finger joints is very pronounced.  I'm also most done with my ErgoDox and I've got some crowdfunding keyboards to throw my money at, but, the more I read, the more I think the Leopold will be part of a very nice Christmas present to myself (and my fingers).  Provided the other keyboards aren't the most wonderful things ever.  Or not.  I may get it just to see what this Topre business is all about.

Pretty much agreed on every point, actually. Can't wait for the keyboard.io and Axios. The ErgoDox was really, really close, but not quite there yet.

Offline morethanless

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:33:05 »
Was the FC660C only limited production? Or why can't I find it anywhere? I only saw it on aliexpress for 295$+ ~100$  shipping (with 19% import VAT that would be 475$ with shipping to Germany).

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:31:54 »
Was the FC660C only limited production? Or why can't I find it anywhere? I only saw it on aliexpress for 295$+ ~100$  shipping (with 19% import VAT that would be 475$ with shipping to Germany).

EK still has the dye-sub version in stock. There also seems to be some in the classifieds from cooldiscretion and AKIMbO but you'll have to see if they'll ship to Germany.

Offline rm2889

« Reply #543 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:26:56 »
Mod edit: This is not the classifieds. Do not make sale offers outside of the classifieds section.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:31:24 by exitfire401 »

Offline morethanless

« Reply #544 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:20:50 »
Ok, i was just wondering. Didn't make a buying decision yet.

Including 56$ Shipping and 19% Vat it would be 245€ or 329$. But they send it via EMS, which is bad, since EMS is processed via GDSK in Germany and they add another 25€/33$ for handling the package.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:40:50 by morethanless »

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline Tallon

« Reply #545 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:07:51 »
I read a lot of this thread awhile ago - prior to buying my own leopold mini. I bought the dye-sub as soon as it went up for sale at elite keyboards. Thankfully, I was in the market when this came around :). I also have a realforce 87U 55 gram.

I bought the leopold primarily for travel and use at work. It is now my favorite keyboard, closely followed by the realforce 55g. This is odd to me, because I find the 45g brown cherry keys to be too light. The leopold feel perfect. Great feel, great sound, great for long typing sessions. It's definitely better than the garbage lenovo keyboard at work.

Sometimes I do miss the separate function keys - primarily if I'm gaming. With one hand on the mouse, pressing a function key becomes far more problematic.

This keyboard has a good weight and does not slip around. It feels very sturdy. Most of the keys are exchangeable with the realforce. The only nitpick is that the delete key is ever so slightly crooked. It doesn't effect typing at all, and it's not a big deal at all. But that's all I can find if I'm trying to give a nitpick in build quality :).

Ok, I do have one real complaint. The function and right control pulls up the context menu. I hate this! I'd MUCH rather not ever have the context menu. This should be an option. Perhaps choose which control button would serve as the context, or just turn it off entirely. I like to use the page up/page down/home/end with the control key quite often. If the right control key did not pull up the context menu when using the function key, I could do this one handed.

In the end - this is my daily driver. No buyers remorse in the slightest :).

-Tallon

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #546 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 11:34:24 »
Just proves you can't make everybody happy. Personally, I'm ecstatic that the menu key is even on this board (a lot of smaller boards sacrifice that key for the FN key), as I make heavy use of that key.

Offline Dr.Empyrean

« Reply #547 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:45:28 »
Great review, just purchased one and eagerly waiting its arrival!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #548 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:04:01 »

Older thread, but given the section it is in (reviews) please post your (brief, if you like) review of it when it arrives!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #549 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:09:32 »

Great purchase, you wont regret it! One of the snappiest topre boards, a bit louder because of the plate. She sings beautifully though
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one