Author Topic: Keycool 87 Review  (Read 52009 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Keycool 87 Review
« on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:03:43 »
I recently purchased a Keycool 87 keyboard with help from imsto. I ordered the white Keycool 87, with MX Blacks, and PBT keycaps. I ordered the non-backlit version, as I don't plan to use this keyboard at night, and backlighting is extraneous for my needs. I received the keyboard yesterday, and here are my impressions so far.

UNBOXING
The Keycool comes packaged nicely, inside a full color printed cardboard box. Opening the box reveals that the Keycool is covered by a cloth bag, and is protected from shipping damage by foam inserts. Removing the Keycool from its cloth storage bag, we find the keyboard inside, wrapped in plastic. Under the cardboard spacers in the front of the box, we find some nice extras are included. A white (matches the case color) USB mini B cable, with a Keycool branded cable tie; a small baggie with some colored PBT keycaps for WASD, Esc, and cursor arrows. Another baggie includes a red plastic scratch-tastic keypuller, some Costar stabilizers, and stabilizer inserts (black!).

INITIAL VISUAL IMPRESSION
The keyboard is white. White! Like, BRIGHT white.  :D  The PBT keycaps are also the same pure white color. The legends on the keycaps appear to be lasered, and they appear as a nice dark grey on the white PBT. There are LED windows on the Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, and Winkey Lock (F12) keycaps. The spacebar has the Keycool brand lasered on the front. F-keys have secondary legends of hotkeys/media keys. Where the right Win key would be, there is instead a Fn key, for using the hotkeys/media keys. The font for the legend appears to be Arial-esque, and is nice and clean. The legends on the modifiers appear to be slightly larger than on the alphas. This may just be an illusion, but they appear very bold. The red Esc, the lavender WASD cluster keys, and the blue cursor arrows use a different font for the legends, which is thinner than the stock keycap legend font, and also italic.

The spacebar uses standard switch/stabilizer mounting positions, and the stock spacebar is made of PBT, just like the rest of the keycaps. The spacebar is very slightly warped, as is common with PBT spacebars. Some heat and light pressure will straighten it out. There are also cutouts in the plate (and matching mounts on the spacebar) for using Costar stabilizers in the Leopold FC200R spacebar mounting positions, so you could move the stabilizers inward and use the spacebar from a Leopold, if you desired to do that for some reason. You would need to bend your own custom length Costar stabilizer wire for that, though.

The bottom of the keyboard has rubber feet, and although they are thin, they make the keyboard very stable on the desk. The keyboard also includes plastic folding feet to raise the angle, and even these have rubber on the bottom. There is also a bevel along the bottom front with rubber feet on it, which matches the higher angle, to keep the keyboard stable with the folding feet extended.

The edges of the keyboard are somewhat rounded, with an angled bevel around the entire edge. The front edge is also at a slight angle. The appearance is clean, very similar to a Leopold. The white is bright white, not beige or off-white. The case is very tight, and well put together. It is held with 3 screws, and snap-in tabs around the sides.

USING THE KEYCOOL 87
The MX Black switches are plate mounted, on a white painted metal plate. They feel just as they should. The typing experience is no different to me from any other plate mounted keyboard with MX Blacks. It feels similar in most respects to a Filco or a QFR. The Costar stabilizers on the modifiers feel right, again just like a Filco or QFR.

The PBT keycaps have that texture that you expect from PBT. The windowed keys have green LEDs under them, switch mounted, which are plenty bright for my well-lit office. The hotkeys and media keys work as they should, when pressed with Fn+the corresponding F-key. Pressing Fn+F12 enables the "Winkey lock," which disables the Win key so you cannot accidentally press it while gaming.

Overall, the Keycool appears to be a quality built keyboard. It's not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. For someone looking for a nice mid-range keyboard at around $100, I would definitely recommend the Keycool 87. If you want a bright white keyboard, with MX switches and Costar stabilizers, and stock PBT keycaps, the Keycool is a solid choice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:27:17 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Re: Keycool 87 Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:04:06 »
reserved
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Grimey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:48:12 »
Are the spacebar stabilizers spaced the same as Filco and other boards?

Otherwise great review, thanks.
Erlang your pants off

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:58:27 »
Are the spacebar stabilizers spaced the same as Filco and other boards?

Otherwise great review, thanks.

Yes, same as Filco. I just added that to the review.

Thanks! :)

in memoriam

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:07:12 »
I handled a keycool once.
IMHO, they feel as solid as a FILCO.

Offline cannedlemons

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:18:56 »
Good review! I really like my white keycool 87 as well :)

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:20:16 »
How's the keycap printing especially on caps with words like shift?

[)amien

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:26:50 »
How's the keycap printing especially on caps with words like shift?

[)amien

How do you mean?

They are lasered, and the legend appears evenly "printed" and straight.

in memoriam

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:30:58 »
Mine fades out in places and looks unevenly stretched. Will post pics.

[)amien

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:37:31 »
The hotkeys work great, but really, IE8/9 icon for browser? I use Chrome! :P

Also, when I press the Media player icon, apparently WMP and Spotify both think they are the default media player.

in memoriam

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:32:28 »
please flip a keycap. Thank you.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:41:17 »
please flip a keycap. Thank you.

Sure. Here you go. Sprue marks on the bottom rear of the keycap. Standard thickness.

How is the PCB quality.

I couldn't say, as I haven't opened the case yet.

in memoriam

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:43:34 »
Nice review jd. I think this is your first one? I would think with so many keyboards you've been through, I didn't think you'd get a "basic" TKL one.

How is the PCB quality.

These are essentially clones of the older Leopold FC200, so they use the same PCB and components. PCB is on par with CM quickfire; single-sided traces, and most of the components are through-hole, not SMD.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:32:41 »
Thanks for the review.  Can't decide between this and the HPE board.  I haven't been able to find this board in black with brown switches though, on eBay specifically.  I guess I'll have to go through an agent to help make the purchase.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:05:54 »
MechanicalKeyboards.com now stocks Keycool. Here is their Keycool page.

I bought mine from imsto in China, by sending him a PM. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the HPE. Seems to be a bit more cheaply built, while the Keycool is the new standard in China.

in memoriam

Offline baller1308

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:25:44 »
MechanicalKeyboards.com now stocks Keycool. Here is their Keycool page.

I bought mine from imsto in China, by sending him a PM. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the HPE. Seems to be a bit more cheaply built, while the Keycool is the new standard in China.
Yeah, I saw those too.  I really don't need the backlighting, but I might just cave and get it since it's the only thing I can find.  I saw the white for less than $100 and was hoping I could find the blacks for less than $100 also but that might not happen.

It also doesn't look like it comes with any extras when purchasing it from mechanicalkeyboards.com

I still don't know if it works with mac.  I'm guessing the limited compatibility is regarding the nkey rollover.  I think the mac it is limited to 6 keys.
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Flying4Pandas

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 18:06:41 »
Awesome review. I'm in for one! It will be my first mechanical keyboard. I went with the blue mx switches.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 18:59:47 »
It also doesn't look like it comes with any extras when purchasing it from mechanicalkeyboards.com
My wife's Keycool 84 from mechanicalkeyboards.com came with the detachable cable, blue arrow cluster, pink WASD cluster, red escape & key puller. Just no slip case.

[)amien

Offline TheBinary

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:03:58 »
I'd been looking at some of the Keycool boards for fun over @mechanicalkeyboards.com. Didn't end up ordering because the particular board I might have considered ordering was out of stock, but thanks for the review. Haven't read another Keycool review on a similar keyboard yet so now I've got some more information on them.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 15:30:19 »
I'd been looking at some of the Keycool boards for fun over @mechanicalkeyboards.com. Didn't end up ordering because the particular board I might have considered ordering was out of stock, but thanks for the review. Haven't read another Keycool review on a similar keyboard yet so now I've got some more information on them.
I've wanted to get a 87 or 84 in browns with black casing, but I didn't see anything on the site either.  Only thing I saw was the browns in white casing.  I ended up just buying HPE 87 browns and I'll probably switch it up in a few months and get the side printed key cools in browns if they ever come back in stock.
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline YongJK

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 23:34:03 »
Perhaps for me to buy chinese mkb again, I will consider Keycool first.
They are really not bad.

This is the weight of my past kc87 grey pbt
Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:29:02 »
How well are the keycaps lining up with the framing/case? Is the esc, arrow cluster etc. centered nicely? It's kind of off on my TKL ducky, especially the esc.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Paspie

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:29:40 »
Mine arrived today from Qtan. I feel there's a little too much play in the caps (particularly the spacebar), but apart from that everything seems to be in order. The PBT caps' rough texture will take some getting used to.

Offline POFFINGTON

• Ninja keys...everytime
    • Polycount
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 00:28:16 »
How white have the caps stayed after some heavy use?  ;D
Keycool 84 (Browns) | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro (Hybrid) | KBC Poker (Black)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 00:33:38 »
How white have the caps stayed after some heavy use?  ;D

Not very white. My workspace collects dust. Plus, I don't always wash my hands immediately before typing. This is why I don't care for PBT keycaps. Besides the slippery feeling texture, PBT keycaps wash your fingertips. But with ABS keycaps, your fingertips wash the caps. :)

in memoriam

Offline vineoneo

• vineoneo
    • voyage en birmanie
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 03:45:13 »
a very good product ;D ;D ;D

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 07:37:19 »
i love my keycool 87 it's one of my favourite boards. I have put ergo clears on mine.

About the PCB - it's a single sided pcb, but the printed side is quite nice, easy to solder/desolder and the pads are pretty hardy.
I got boards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:05:51 »
Some questions have been raised regarding space bar compatibility on the KeyCool.  Having just received my KeyCool 87 (same as jdcarpe's, but with MX red) I did some comparisons with a CM QFR and the Filco yellow space bar thereon.

As you can see, they are the same, except the KeyCool has two extra stems, and the extra stabiliser support holes in the plate seem to be slightly further apart on the KeyCool.

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 06:33:06 »
I have also a Keycool 87 with black switches. I had to swap all the keycaps, because I needed czech letters on them, so I bought and old keyboard with MY switches and czech keycaps. They were cherry profiled so I had to buy modifier set from Keycaps Direct.

Overall it's a great keyboard. Probably the best deal here in Czech Republic. In the price I payed for my Keycool you can buy here some rubber dome Logitech. And Razers Black Widows are even more expensive. And I so love the tenkeyless version. So many empty space on my desk now ;)

The only thing I don't like is the background lightning under Capslock. I will have somehow make a LED window in my new Capslock keycap. I would rather have a keyboard with dedicated LED somewhere above arrow keys like I saw it on the Leopolds maybe? :D

I believe that this keyboard will last very long ;)

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:56:35 »
Nice review, been looking to buy a decent cheap mechanical board for my girlfriend since she is starting on her master thesis soon and I think she should have a proper tool to write it with. I think this board with blues should do the trick.

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:52:47 »
Nice review!
Thank you  :thumb:

Offline sor

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 02:39:33 »
jdcarpe how ur keyboard holding up? ;D
ESPORTS!

Offline chill1217

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:13:25 »
jdcarpe how ur keyboard holding up? ;D

i'm interested too, has there been any fading on the keycaps?

Offline sor

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:47:51 »
receive the keycool loving it! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47989.0
ESPORTS!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:38:08 »
Sorry for the lack or replies. :(

The Keycool is holding up well. After using a Das as my daily driver at work for a while, I'm back to using the Keycool daily. I really like black switches now.

As for the keycaps, I couldn't say. I hate using stock keycaps, and I hate the way PBT feels anyway, so there you have it. I'm using some SP ABS caps on it now. As an aside, I heard that the PBT caps from Keycool have fiberglass added for strength, so I'm not sure about what the long term effects of having small particles of fiberglass in constant contact with your fingertips might be.

in memoriam

Offline sor

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:05:03 »

The Keycool is holding up well. After using a Das as my daily driver at work for a while, I'm back to using the Keycool daily. I really like black switches now.

As for the keycaps, I couldn't say. I hate using stock keycaps, and I hate the way PBT feels anyway, so there you have it. I'm using some SP ABS caps on it now. As an aside, I heard that the PBT caps from Keycool have fiberglass added for strength, so I'm not sure about what the long term effects of having small particles of fiberglass in constant contact with your fingertips might be.
are u sure that the caps have fiberglass added how do u know? as i know fiberglass is really dangerous..
ESPORTS!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:37:44 »

are u sure that the caps have fiberglass added how do u know? as i know fiberglass is really dangerous..

No, I don't know this to be a fact, it's something I heard from a source who is very knowledgeable about Chinese manufacturing.

in memoriam

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 02:16:33 »
As an aside, I heard that the PBT caps from Keycool have fiberglass added for strength, so I'm not sure about what the long term effects of having small particles of fiberglass in constant contact with your fingertips might be.

:eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 03:20:04 »
I wouldn't worry about the fibreglass too much, unless of course you encounter broken or rough edges that fray, as it's the dust particles that would be dangerous.
Don't forget many baths and shower bases are fibreglass, in fact thinking about it, loads of products.

I am definitely swaying to getting myself a keycool 87 white LED with brown switches I think :)

Offline sor

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 07:17:00 »

No, I don't know this to be a fact, it's something I heard from a source who is very knowledgeable about Chinese manufacturing.
do u think if i wash the keycaps with dishwasher soap would atleast eliminate dangerous substance?

As an aside, I heard that the PBT caps from Keycool have fiberglass added for strength, so I'm not sure about what the long term effects of having small particles of fiberglass in constant contact with your fingertips might be.

:eek:
im kinda worried tho

I wouldn't worry about the fibreglass too much, unless of course you encounter broken or rough edges that fray, as it's the dust particles that would be dangerous.
Don't forget many baths and shower bases are fibreglass, in fact thinking about it, loads of products.

I am definitely swaying to getting myself a keycool 87 white LED with brown switches I think :)
i think the keycaps on let version is different..

ESPORTS!

Offline sor

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:55:21 »

do u think if i let em sit in a bowl of dishwasher soap and clean it is safe enough?
ESPORTS!

Offline Paspie

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 06:53:04 »
After 4-5 months or so my completely white model still looks...fairly white, but the case has been attracted to dust particularly around the directional pad. I happen to be quite decent at cleaning electronics (well, as long as I separate the 'electronic' parts) so it shouldn't be too hard for me to maintain the thing if I do get fed up with its condition.

I do hate membrane keyboards a lot more now than I used to (unless it's my ThinkPad). I guess the next step for me now is customisation.

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:56:29 »
Hi Sor
I would say cleaning should be fine, but I am no expert, just going on fibreglass experience in the past,
the danger from tiny fibres is normally inhaling them, which is the problem with asbestos, it is fine until you encounter dust from it being broken up for example.

I can imagine fibreglass key having an extremely long lifespan too, do they go all shiny like normal plastic ones?

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 13:16:03 »
Really nice review enjoyed reading it :thumb:
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline sor

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 14:58:58 »
Hi Sor
I would say cleaning should be fine, but I am no expert, just going on fibreglass experience in the past,
the danger from tiny fibres is normally inhaling them, which is the problem with asbestos, it is fine until you encounter dust from it being broken up for example.

I can imagine fibreglass key having an extremely long lifespan too, do they go all shiny like normal plastic ones?
no shiny yet on the caps, and still white! ;D
ESPORTS!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 05:16:23 »
Just scred a used white KC 87 MX Brown in a local forum, will be picking it up tomorrow. This'd be my 2nd KC keyboard.....looking forward to messing with it tomorrow. Best part is, it's a few months old, hardly used and I snagged it for about 55USD.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 05:39:21 »
Just scred a used white KC 87 MX Brown in a local forum, will be picking it up tomorrow. This'd be my 2nd KC keyboard.....looking forward to messing with it tomorrow. Best part is, it's a few months old, hardly used and I snagged it for about 55USD.

Nice price for the board :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 05:38:36 »
Got it, a very nice looking board, mild smudges here and there, wiped the clean and it looks pretty new....even the spacebar looks good, no shine at all. May be I've been typing a lot on my Clears, typing with Browns now, I tend to bottom out like a mad mutha.....the feel of the PBT key caps is good, feels as good as Ducky or Filco actually. Here're a couple of pics...

Another with its smaller sibling...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 05:48:38 »
White and clean - nice :)

PS. Makes an excellent base for the Miami set.