Author Topic: Same MX Blues, different actuation force??  (Read 7135 times)

Offline conor1123

Same MX Blues, different actuation force??
« on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:37:39 »
My buddy just picked up a KeyCool Tenkeyless with blues and they seem to feel a little different. Is there really a difference in how the blues feel between every manufacturer? Im using a filco majestouch. Does KeyCool use a Costar board too?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Same MX Blues, different actuation force??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:40:23 »
Yes, switches will feel different between different boards.

Offline conor1123

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:42:39 »
So it's not the switch? Just because of a different board manufacturer?
How does a different board affect the switches?

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:54:48 »
Switches feel slightly different between their BATCHES, so obviously a different keyboard that used a different batch of switches will feel slightly different.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 20:24:01 »
I've casually measured 50 switches, mx blues.. I got +/- 4g of force

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 20:29:19 »

Production batch of the switches, materials used in the board, plate vs pcb mounted, Cherry vs Costar stabilizers, are all things that might affect the feel of a board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:52:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:54:56 »

Production batch, materials used in the board, plate vs pcb mounted, Cherry vs Costar, are all things that might affect the feel of a board.

This. Plus lube, keycaps, ones typing technique and mood. Really. Even switches on the same keyboard feel different to me at different occassions.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:51:35 »
Plus spring/stem tolerance margin (mostly spring I guess). It's very easy to notice different tactilities in the same keyboard!
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:23:24 »
IME the most significant contributor to differences in switch feeling is actually the keycaps. Remember that the keycaps are in fact, sprung weight and not free floating. The weight of the keycap can reduce the force required to actuate the switch by virtue of their weight.
Which is why if you go too heavy, the switch doesn't come back up. Perfect example of this is the Chicony super-thick double-shots, which are so heavy that they can self-actuate some MX Reds and usually do not return with MX Blues.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:01:00 »
Different desks.

Different accoustics in the room (especially for MX blues).

I have two Ducky Shines with MX blues, and they feel quite different.  But one at home and one at work.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bratman

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:27:17 »
I have here two Filco cherry red keyboards, exactly the same. Even the serial numbers are the same except one is four digits higher.

The ONLY difference is I replaced one with filco brand blank keycaps. I gotta say I like the feel of the stock stealth keycaps much better.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:12:50 »
When we discovered mechanical keyswitches, my friend and I both bought daskeyboards (with blues). The switches on the two feel incredibly different. The ones on mine are really light (especially after a year of use), while his feel much stiffer. They feel like two different switches. Anyway, the batch of the keyswitch really matters.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline berrymxblue

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:47:49 »
I felt that keycap material makes a really big difference in feel too. In your case it should be minimal, I'm thinking both boards come stock with thin ABS but so many factors go into a board that can affect its feel and sound. Fingers are surprisingly good at feeling out little differences.