Author Topic: Similiar mecha keyboards to KBT race, keycool 84 led, deck 82  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Re5etX

hi there,
question is in the title. I search similiar mecha keyboards with backlit to KBT race, keycool 84 led and deck 82. They all are in tenkeyless size, but are smaller than normal tlks due to only one extra column with function keys. IMHO I dont need the extra column with the function keys from the functionkeyblock, I only need the f1-f12 keys, so if there are similiar mechas to the above named or similiar mecha types to the one i tried to explain here (only f1-f12 keys), please let me know. Mainly I am searching for mechas with backlit, but if it isnt too much work, I would be glad if you guys could name the non backlite mechas, too. Remember I do not search for a "normal" tkl, that would definitely too much work to list them all.

Sry for bad english and bad knowledge of the material, this should be my first mecha...
I asked this question in german forums too, but i think you guys should better know

so thanks

re5etx
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 12:55:26 by Re5etX »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Similiar mecha keyboards to KBT race, keycool 84 led, deck 82
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 12:58:29 »
I would wait for the backlit poker II's to come out. I am guessing around this fall.

The main reason is that it has a common base layout allowing you to use most keycap sets.

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 13:45:21 »
I would wait for the backlit poker II's to come out. I am guessing around this fall.

The main reason is that it has a common base layout allowing you to use most keycap sets.

does it have a dedicated F-key row? AFAIK it doesnt have. if not i it doesnt fit to my preferences as i mentioned before...
keycaps are the last thing i care about. to mention a few other mechas without backlit and compact tlk size without complete functionkeyblock (or none, if that exist), but with dedicated f-key row: matias mini quiet pro, noppoo choc mini ---> i search mechas with these layouts (none or only one extra column for function key block, dedicated f-key row)/sizes, but with backlit (so similiar ones to KBT race, keycool 84 led, deck 82). but it would be great if you could list all mechas with the mentioned layout/size wihtout backlit, too, until there arent that much.

thanks

edit: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbc-poker-2-61keys-mechanical-/lid=35050923 as i thought, no dedicated f-key row, not what i actually wanted ..

edit2: ok, i have selected my keyboards now, are there any other shops in the internet who deliver following keyboards to germany?:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p= PRODUCT NR.
I ll put prodcut numbers here--> better overview:118, 120, 121, 122, 96, 418, 420, 421, 423, 424, 425, 427, 429, 431

are there alternative shops with germany deliver for the 14 above named products?

ty
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:47:10 by Re5etX »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:56:39 »
Sorry, somehow I missed the dedicated F-row part.

I think I would most recommend the KBT Race, as long as you are fine sticking with the stock keycaps.

IIRC, the keycools sometimes come with cases that are glued together, so I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to avoid any type of modding that requires the removal of the case.

I've heard mixed reviews about the choc mini, but they are mostly on the good side. The deck 82 is usually avoided because of the font they use on the keycaps.

Besides they keyboards you already listed, I would probably just go with a tenkeyless model If you are using the F-row for gaming or document/media production, you are probably going to need dedicated arrow keys as well.

Recommendations:

Custom:
Any tenkeyless, preferably Phantom, Filco or Leopold. Korean custom if you have the money.

Non-custom:
KBT Race, Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Delivery to Germany does sound a bit tricky. You would probably have better luck searching deskthority for a nice used board or get in touch with the vendors there for new ones.
 http://kbtrace.com/kbtpure/kbt-race.html has the limited edition race in stock and it will be delivered from France.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:21:24 »
Very confusing description, but it sounds like he is looking for 75% boards with full LED support.  I don't know of any other than the ones he listed.

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:44:56 »
Sorry, somehow I missed the dedicated F-row part.

I think I would most recommend the KBT Race, as long as you are fine sticking with the stock keycaps.

IIRC, the keycools sometimes come with cases that are glued together, so I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to avoid any type of modding that requires the removal of the case.

I've heard mixed reviews about the choc mini, but they are mostly on the good side. The deck 82 is usually avoided because of the font they use on the keycaps.

key caps of kbt race are fine for me, I dont know why they shouldnt, do y mean because of abs?
actually i dont want to remove the case due to modding or in general.
i like the font of the deck, so no problem for me.

these 3 are the ones with my favourite layout: i dont need a number pad and i dont need the block with the arrow key, too. but what i need is the dedicated f-key row. these are the only mechas with backlit and that special layout that I have found.

choc mini and similiar (same "group" as deck 82, race, keycool 84; but without backlit) only as 2nd alternative
1st alternative would be a tkl with backlit, for example the cmstorm qk tk

Besides they keyboards you already listed, I would probably just go with a tenkeyless model If you are using the F-row for gaming or document/media production, you are probably going to need dedicated arrow keys as well.

Recommendations:

Custom:
Any tenkeyless, preferably Phantom, Filco or Leopold. Korean custom if you have the money.

Non-custom:
KBT Race, Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Delivery to Germany does sound a bit tricky. You would probably have better luck searching deskthority for a nice used board or get in touch with the vendors there for new ones.
 http://kbtrace.com/kbtpure/kbt-race.html has the limited edition race in stock and it will be delivered from France.

deck, race and keycool all have dedicated fkey row and arrow keys o0?
the only big advantage of a tkl for me would be the german layout due to more prodcuts in this category, but i think a "compact" tkl (still 75%, but the size is minimal bigger then 60%) is better for my purposes (to 90% I ll use the mecha for gaming, so more space on the desk would be of great advantage)
custom keyboards will probably cost too much plus its harder to reconsign the mecha.

keyboards like the matias quiet pro would be as i said last choice, because of the missing backlit, so my preferences are most like this: backlit > size

nope, i wanna buy a new one in the original box. on a german forum for computers in general with a peripheral-subforum told me this forum geekhack, and one guy said that it wasnt possible to order a keyboard over kbt eu because of the missing of the last order step.
but i have other vendors now. and as y probably dont know. mechanicalkeyboards(dot)com (probably the no. 1 for mechas in the us?) also ships to germany, for like 40$ ...

Very confusing description, but it sounds like he is looking for 75% boards with full LED support.  I don't know of any other than the ones he listed.

originally i was searching for a 75% keyboard with backlit, dedicated fkey row and the size of a 60% keyboard, due to a more compact layout as compared to a "normal" tkl. but there only seem to be 3 different keyboards which fits into this pattern: keycool 84 led, deck 82, kbt race
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:46:59 by Re5etX »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:58:41 »
KBT Race: There is no problem with the keycaps, but the layout is not easily replaced.
LOL yes you're right the 75% do have arrow keys, I must have gotten confused somehow.

I have done an order through kbtpure.com within the last 6 months and it worked out fine. I do not see any missing last step. Whenever I had any problems, their live chat support usually helped.

Hope this helps ><

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:16:10 »
KBT Race: There is no problem with the keycaps, but the layout is not easily replaced.
LOL yes you're right the 75% do have arrow keys, I must have gotten confused somehow.

i think i know what you mean. it is because of the different size (not the usual size) of some keys, correct? so one cant replace keycaps easily?
hehe, the compact size of a 60% layout keyboard might be the reason for this thesis.

I have done an order through kbtpure.com within the last 6 months and it worked out fine. I do not see any missing last step. Whenever I had any problems, their live chat support usually helped.

Hope this helps ><

strange thing. but there is another reason: if i would be the race at mechkeyb.com, it still would be cheaper (mecha + shipping!) as when buying over kbtrace.com, but there is another shop too y might know. (cheapest possibility for me so far i think) Maybe i can convince the vendor to get me one of the above mentioned keyboards, cause he doesnt sell them at the moment: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/

"originally i was searching for a 75% keyboard with backlit, dedicated fkey row and the size of a 60% keyboard, due to a more compact layout as compared to a "normal" tkl. but there only seem to be 3 different keyboards which fits into this pattern: keycool 84 led, deck 82, kbt race" - do you now any other?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:22:38 »
Sorry no I do not know any other ones.

The one on kbtrace.com is more expensive because it is the limited edition version.

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:42:34 »
Sorry no I do not know any other ones.

The one on kbtrace.com is more expensive because it is the limited edition version.

thanks anyways.
I know but if i would order the other race over mk.com, it would only be like 3 € more expansive. if i wouldnt buy in a us store, there wouldnt be that much shipping costs and it would be a lot cheaper. so if i could get the keyboard over http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/, it would be a lot cheaper.

what do y think of this keyboard: http://www.ebay.de/itm/230929437364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648 does it have nkro/ 6kro?

and why does this (http://www.datacal.com/p-240-tg3-bl82-5rbuvs-led-backlit-keyboard.aspx) cost 5 times more? only because of 'water resistant splashguard' feature?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:13:43 »
I have never heard of TG3 keyboards before, so I wouldn't be able to give you any advice about them. It might be wiser to go with the more known brands such as the ones you listed in the first post.

The vendio website is ran by qtan5370, so if you want to request something I would try PMing him. I'm not sure about the popularity of the 75% boards, but it is worth asking him to stock it for you.

Also, how do you know how much shipping is from the vendio store? I couldn't find a quote for Germany.

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:12:30 »
I have never heard of TG3 keyboards before, so I wouldn't be able to give you any advice about them. It might be wiser to go with the more known brands such as the ones you listed in the first post.

The vendio website is ran by qtan5370, so if you want to request something I would try PMing him. I'm not sure about the popularity of the 75% boards, but it is worth asking him to stock it for you.

Also, how do you know how much shipping is from the vendio store? I couldn't find a quote for Germany.

some people on the german forum said that shipping from china to germany is usually cheaper then from the us to germany. so i believe they have already ordered a keyboard from there. but i might ask him as well for shipping costs. for tg3 look here, it is closely related with deck keyboards: http://deskthority.net/wiki/TG3_Electronics
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:19:51 by Re5etX »

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 11:00:59 »

If you had no problems why contacted chat support? However, roundabout 4 weeks ago (exactly the day the German layout Pure pro were available on their website the first day) I tried to order it and the very- last step led me to an empty page saying shopping cart is empty- but it wasn't. Chat support wasn't online (of course timezone problems) and they didn't answer to my request until today (the chat window asked me to leave my mail).

For one week I came back daily trying to order the Pure with alu-case (changed my mind) and each and every time (altogether at least 15 tries) the very last step led me to an empty shopping cart. Then ordered via amazon because they only had 2 Pure-aluminium with blacks left...

This is not to complain about Vortex, just to say that there were problems for sure.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 11:43:11 »
I contacted chat because my order was in the "processing" phase for maybe a week.

I didn't have any problems with the site though, and your order is much more recent than mine, so I assume something must have changed.

Also its worth noting that this website is not owned nor represented by Vortex.

It is owned by Attarian Florent who goes by Attarian on DT, so maybe try sending him an email or PM. My order took almost two months to reach me from the point of ordering, but it did get to me [I live in the US]. LOL it sucks because I ended up returning it because the blues were just too loud.

Offline Re5etX

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:12:57 »
hongkongfui was the guy i had been talking of ^^. where are the main differences between kbt race n keycool 84? i think i ll go for red switches.